• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
jalopnik.com

The Stars of Gran Turismo's World Tournament See No Future in the Game (Update)

Lavish production and FIA backing convinced players that GT was a springboard to a motorsports or esports career. Years later, that dream has vanished.

The drivers are there to inspire players to reach new heights in competition, and instill a sense of community around the GT brand. But when you learn they're serving that purpose without compensation — and that many of them walked away from the game for that very reason — their presence in the game ring a little hollow.

"Sure, I love the idea of being in a game franchise I grew up with, but there's always that little part of me saying 'all those efforts and events for no money,'" Pagandet said. "It may sound greedy, but when we're supposed to be the professional esports players of Gran Turismo, having no money on the line always puts in perspective all the efforts done, especially when visibility doesn't give back much either."

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no cash rewards from the GT World Series is insane. You'd think with Sony's push to snap up eSports organisations they'd be a little more clued in on what it needs to be sustainable but I guess not all arms got the memo?

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They are making tournaments with no prize pool? What?
Yeah it's wild because you can like, win a TAG Heuer in these tournaments but not cash money. the problem, as some of the pros interviewed say, is that they seem to be more focused in getting partnerships with real-life brands tied to motorsports than gaming companies that could add an actual money prize pool. Sony seems to be investing big in esports, so hopefully, this gets better sooner rather than later.

But I get the challenge, virtual motorsports have much less appeal than fighting or shooting games.

2B-

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 2, 2022
Might just be me, but I think that's a bad title? I thought this was about GT7 in general and not the esports side of things.

On topic though no prize pool for a tournament is wild wtf.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wait, there's no compensation and players aren't even allowed sponsorships?

If Sony is serious about esports, this needs to change like yesterday.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Not only the eSports part but the game overall feels dead already. It's been over 4 months since release and the content added has been miniscule.

GT has been my favourite racing game series since forever and it's sad how Sony is driving it into the ground.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's wild because you can like, win a TAG Heuer in these tournaments but not cash money.
lol who wants a Tag Heuer
It's been over 4 months since release and the content added has been miniscule.
I feel like GT Sport's content drops took a while to kick off properly as well. I'm not worried about that yet but seeing the legend car shop not even really move anymore is funny.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
It is amazingly sad how Sony's bungling the Gran Turismo franchise. From making the latest entry into some micro-transaction "experiment" to see how much they can get away with to now this. Just treating the franchise with zero respect.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Yeah it's wild because you can like, win a TAG Heuer in these tournaments but not cash money. the problem, as some of the pros interviewed say, is that they seem to be more focused in getting partnerships with real-life brands tied to motorsports than gaming companies that could add an actual money prize pool. Sony seems to be investing big in esports, so hopefully, this gets better sooner rather than later.

This is wild lol

F1 latest eSport tournament had a prizepool of $750k. Like, if FIA and Codemasters can fund this with their partners why is Sony/PD so cheap?

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
isn't 'pro' BY DEFINITION a paid gig?

more people getting completely shafted by multibillion dollar companies' relentless search to kill us all for their bottom lines

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021
Yo this is bad.

I can't believe there's no prizepool, and that there's even mandated jerseys without sponsors, really?

If there's no work to be done on that side, there really is no future for the GT competition brand. We havent even talked about incentivising those that doesn't get into the world tournament.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
This is a good article. I came across it on GTPlanet last night and posted some thoughts* so may as well copy them here:

It really is a shame that the one game in this genre (on console) that made a really good effort of being a esports ready game was also the one where the publisher actively worked against there being any potential for a grassroots esports scene. 🥺

It always felt odd that people were putting in so much effort and time to be the best at GT Sport without any possibility of getting sponsors, prize money or a chance at a full-time income from driving talent alone (ie: not also being a "content creator").

As somebody that has helped run esports series (DiRT Rally 2.0) in the past and also spent 10+ years in the competitive card game industry, it's never sat right with me that somebody could put 40+ hours a week into something with practically zero chance of a return on investment, especially when there are several other (non-racing) games that are quite lucrative for hard-working and highly-skilled players. That kind of drive and grind will obliterate your mental health after a while.

Also, while the players would have known in advance that a particular season had no prizing, I guess their motivation was that if the series became big/popular enough that future seasons become more open to sponsorship/monetisation. I'm not surprised some players are moving to iRacing, Assetto Corsa Competizione or F1 Esports as there's at least some prize money in all of those at the top level (and also at grassroots too to a smaller degree).

The thing is, Gran Turismo's esports package is fantastic everywhere except for the well-being of its competitors. The recent games are built fantastically well to generate interest and new talent, the broadcasts are better than most real-world motorsports and the racing is genuinely fun to watch.

If everything in this article is accurate, it's Polyphony/Sony holding back the true potential of the GT Sport (and now GT7) with how they treat players as regards prizing and sponsorship. This could have been the next Rocket League or the racing equivalent of CS:GO with benefits potentially seen across the entire genre and they've squandered it.

* as with all my posts, this is just my personal opinion, doesn't represent official stance from Codies/EA etc.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Not only the eSports part but the game overall feels dead already. It's been over 4 months since release and the content added has been miniscule.

GT has been my favourite racing game series since forever and it's sad how Sony is driving it into the ground.
What? Are you serious?

We have got new cafe`s, cars, tracks and mission and you call that miniscule? The game has been supported excellently and plethora of content has been added.

Game feels dead? Where bro?

Lobbies are full and GT7 is in top5 charts.

Do you own GT7?

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If everything in this article is accurate, it's Polyphony/Sony holding back the true potential of the GT Sport (and now GT7) with how they treat players as regards prizing and sponsorship. This could have been the next Rocket League or the racing equivalent of CS:GO with benefits potentially seen across the entire genre and they've squandered it.
Yup, everything was right there to nail it. The racing is so freaking good. Sport mode is good but could be so much more.

All that work from Sport and 7 should have built up to so much more but instead they squandered it for no good reason.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's really just odd, they have everything to be comfortably the biggest racing game esport and seem desperate to not be. They are basically asking for the players to just go to something like iRacing and it's probably only a matter of time before something more welcoming than iRacing (it's very expensive) actually eats their lunch.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Very disappointing to hear. If Sony and PD want to set up an e-sports community they need to invest in it for the biggest players at the least. It's a huge time commitment and there are people who make their living off e-sports (Plus with any sport there's sponsorships and stuff).

The potential is right there, but they won't get what they want without putting money into it to help make it worth the time of their players.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I had seen players step back but didn't realize things were that bad. Not getting money for tournaments or even having their name and face permanently added to GT7 and getting nothing. Now most of those faces trying to encourage you to be a good racer have quit the game.

The shame is that the framework was literally there and they even had big sponsors and the FIA on board, but the sheer refusal to do basic things like have actual prize pools or letting players get their own sponsorships killed their scene. Like Polyphony wanted the prestige of the events and the players were just tools for them to achieve that. And now they've ramped down with GT7 in terms of events.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I thought with the awful monetization and out-of-control greed that drove the basic game design of Gran Turismo 7's campaign, it's 80€ price tag on PS5, and the limited additions to GT Sports, content-wise, they'd have money to spare for their eSports efforts.

Oh well, back to emulated GT4 and PS3 GT6. Infinitely better single player products without GAAS stench.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
What? Are you serious?

We have got new cafe`s, cars, tracks and mission and you call that miniscule? The game has been supported excellently and plethora of content has been added.

Game feels dead? Where bro?

Lobbies are full and GT7 is in top5 charts.

Do you own GT7?

Yes I have hundreds of hours in GT7 and I want new cars, tracks and overall content for the 80€ price tag.

I also play Forza Horizon a lot and it's way better supported content wise, new stuff is coming all the time.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

But I get the challenge, virtual motorsports have much less appeal than fighting or shooting games.
The F1 virtual GPs F1 ran during the 2020 pre season lock down and the virtual Le Man 24 hour are/were very popular. GT World (the main organizer of European GT3 and GT4 competition) also host a virtual GT3 series in ACC and it's quite popular.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if there is little interest in it as an e-sport.
Juts because it's a game, it doesn't make it commercially viable to become a big money spinner

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've always found it weird that Gran Turismo filled that spot when it's always been "somewhat sim" and never fully leaning into it. Regardless, they should be funding this as they have the biggest mindshare regardless and they're going to fumble that away with their $0 esports league.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Juts because it's a game, it doesn't make it commercially viable to become a big money spinner
GT Sport World series thing they where doing did good numbers when they where actually trying to build up a esport scene and it was growing good too.

Jan 18, 2021

View: https://twitter.com/davidperel/status/1349095199658618882?s=20&t=OYnuSEfiG3MEcx7eaPPlDQ

I remember this tweet doing the rounds a while back. Presumably not related to GT since GT doesn't have prize money, but still interesting.

For context Dave Perel is a professional racing driver who has competed at Le Mans, and has his own sim racing business on the side.

Damn cant even get paid in exposure and might even have to pay to get the exposure

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
does forza have an esport scene? if so id ditch gt in a second and never look back
Forza had an official esports series between 2016 and 2019. The games weren't really built to be esports ready however so the organisational and spectacting experiences weren't anything to write home about.

Like any decent racing game there's a healthy club/league community but prizing is almost non-existent and on top of that the latest Motorsport title (7) isn't available for sale anymore anyway so the player pool is dwindling.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
If they actually put money into the events the scene would no doubt grow. With a name as big as Gran Turismo all it needs a bit of a push. That wont happen if your best players don't compete.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If they actually put money into the events the scene would no doubt grow. With a name as big as Gran Turismo all it needs a bit of a push. That wont happen if your best players don't compete.
What's the advantage of watching e-sport motorsport over actual motorsport?

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Yes I have hundreds of hours in GT7 and I want new cars, tracks and overall content for the 80€ price tag.

I also play Forza Horizon a lot and it's way better supported content wise, new stuff is coming all the time.
We have got 4 huge updates in the span of 4 months so how exactly is GT7 not being supported?

They cant be rolling updates every 15 days, forza horizon as well isnt pushing updates every month.

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
What's the advantage of watching e-sport motorsport over actual motorsport?

That's actually a fair point I hadn't considered before.

The more successful eSports I can think of have a fantasy element to them that sets them apart as something unique you can't get in the real world, whereas racing games focus on trying to feel authentic to the participant. Even the likes of FIFA is watchable because it's not really like football. It's more like a game with its own rules that is based on the sport, rather than an attempted recreation of it. Perhaps e-motorsports cross some unknown barrier between watching people play a game against one another to be more like watching people pretend to do the real thing?

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dang, no prize pool? No wonder they don't see a future.

If Sony is serious about eSports, they need to change this and offer cash prizes and sponsorships.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I had totally missed this article until now. I'm glad it moves pretty quickly from the lack of prizes/monetary winnings to the seemingly more important (and easier to remedy) rules against competitors repping teams/companies while competing in events, even down to apparel restrictions.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
They're trying to run esports events with no prize pool and no sponsorships?

I mean, yeah, no shit there's no future in that.

Also a hearty "what the fuck" at their likenesses being included in game with zero compensation. That's just fucked.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Meanwhile in iRacing:
www.iracing.com

Porsche TAG Heuer Esports Supercup - iRacing.com

The Porsche TAG Heuer Esports Supercup, iRacing’s premier road racing championship for sports cars, roars into its fifth season in 2023.

traxion.gg

Skip Barber Formula iRacing Series returns with $500,000 in prizes

The Skip Barber Formula iRacing Series will offer many real world racing prizes for doing well in their six week paid entry series on iRacing.

www.iracing.com

eNASCAR Coca-Cola iRacing Series - iRacing.com

The eNASCAR Coca-Cola iRacing Series is the premier sim racing championship. The best sim racers from all over the world compete to win 100k.

Sim racing esports has been a thing for a long time and it will continue to be a thing far into the future. It just won't be on Gran Turismo. There isn't even a mechanism for driver changes in actual endurance races.

iRacing is the best in the business when it comes to providing an esports platform.