• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
So good!

rr0rqxs0dfc71.png

steamcommunity.com

Steam Deck OS converting into Big Picture ?? :: Big Picture

Title pretty much speaks for itself. Is the Steam Deck OS like the next step for Big Picture? In comparison to the UI that we have now everything just looks so outdated and I would love for most of the features to be translated to the awfully outdated big picture mode.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Big Picture is so god damn useless and horribly designed. Hopefully whatever they have planned for Deck is much more intuitive and user friendly.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Great. Was wondering if they'd given up on BPM since the desktop client got a refresh over a year ago. I also wonder if some of the features like instant resume will carry over to the desktop client.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf Deck's display isn't exactly big. Will be interesting to see how good of a BPM replacement this one will be.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is step one towards a Valve manufactured home console-like PC. Book it.
Don't gotta book it, it's what they (at the time we) were working on, before it became the Deck. The targeted price point was higher and the idea was to offer installment plans a-la mobile carriers, since the spec range was meant to properly support VR on the Index.

Unsure if it was totally scrapped for the Deck or is still on the backburner, but my guess is scrapped as it was originally meant to release 1-2 years ago alongside Alyx and some other VR projects that also likely got shelved or rebooted when they changed the direction from home console to portable.

Valve is constantly changing directions without ever letting work see the light of day, so my guess is Index and Alyx didn't show the performance they expected and solidified their decision to pivot to portable.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Don't gotta book it, it's what they (at the time we) were working on, before it became the Deck. The targeted price point was higher and the idea was to offer installment plans a-la mobile carriers, since the spec range was meant to properly support VR on the Index.

Unsure if it was totally scrapped for the Deck or is still on the backburner, but by guess is scrapped as it was originally meant to release 1-2 years ago alongside Alyx and some other VR projects that also likely got shelved or rebooted when they changed the direction from home console to portable.
Well shit, that's super interesting. Thanks for sharing!

melloon

Jan 17, 2021

Unsure if it was totally scrapped for the Deck or is still on the backburner, but my guess is scrapped as it was originally meant to release 1-2 years ago alongside Alyx and some other VR projects that also likely got shelved or rebooted when they changed the direction from home console to portable.

Valve is constantly changing directions without ever letting work see the light of day, so my guess is Index and Alyx didn't show the performance they expected and solidified their decision to pivot to portable.
Really? I'd never heard that. Interesting to hear! So they were kind of planning a competitor to all access in the PC space?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Good, was hoping this would be the case. Now they just need to give more attention to library management and a better experience of managing non-Steam games, especially those that are held hostage by other launchers. Short of that, i'm still gonna stick to Playnite.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well shit, that's super interesting. Thanks for sharing!
I told one of the gaming journalism peeps here (not Jason) via PM like 1-2 years ago to poke any sources they had about Valve's hardware projects before this was broadly known.

Really? I'd never heard that. Interesting to hear! So they were kind of planning a competitor to all access in the PC space?
The idea was basically the Deck, but more powerful, supporting VR, in home console form. Hard for me to say when they changed directions as I haven't kept up with the company or colleagues since my departure.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Nice, been waiting on this for a while too. Current BPM is cramped and doesn't make proper use of a lot of the features that the normal desktop version has. Speaking of features, I wonder if this will get any of those cool features like suspend / resume, or if that will be limited to the Deck / SteamOS.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True but seems like at one point it was like that according to finalflame post.

Super interesting either way.
Yah but to be clear, when that was the product, nothing regarding plans for the Deck existed in any form. It's likely the Switch's success and lagging adoption of VR that precipitated the shift (if I had to guess, knowing how Valve operates).

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

oh wow, thanks for the insight!

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Had a feeling this would be the case considering the investment they had into it and SteamOS currently using BPM for it's front-end UI but It's good to hear confirmation on that.

Oct 26, 2017
BPM was overdue for an overhaul. I use it a lot, but it has lots of problems that this UI could hopefully address.

Yup, same with me. I mostly play my PC on my TV from my couch, so being able to navigate Steam with a controller is very handy. But BPM is ugly, sluggish, and (sometimes) buggy. It's long overdue for an overhaul, so I'm glad to see it's getting one!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the "switch is totally a console you guys" argument?

I'd snap up a $300 PC that matches the Steam Deck specs.

Laptops already outnumber desktop PCs by a generous amount so I don't think people are really that averse to buying PCs with screens already attached. People already use their laptops docked, and hooked up to larger monitors, traditional mouse and keyboards, etc.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Laptops already outnumber desktop PCs by a generous amount so I don't think people are really that averse to buying PCs with screens already attached. People already use their laptops docked, and hooked up to larger monitors, traditional mouse and keyboards, etc.

Yeah though I don't need a screen.

But Valve's APU setup seems perfect as an inexpensive pc gaming system and they'd probably sell a decent number of 'em.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but when people talk about a "gaming PC" they mean a specific thing that is not… that. Same with "console."

Remark

Oct 27, 2017

Ehh, if the Deck is successful I can see Valve going back to that idea in the future.

I think tech-wise it's a way better time to do this compared to like 2014 with the old Steam Machines.