• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
I was lucky enough to get a PS5 digital nearly a launch. Of course, I opened it up and played Demon Souls to my heart's content.

After that, however being a PC gamer, I really didn't have much use for it (I bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne and after that, it became a paperweight).

So, I asked around my friends circle if anyone wanted the PS5 at retail value and save themselves tax, shipping and the hassle of trying to buy one.

One "friend" offered me $300, which I politely turned down. Over the weekend, he contacted me again with his offer and I was open to it UNTIL he said something like "well, you've already used it so no one is going to pay you retail value for it. You should consider yourself lucky that I'm being a good friend and offering you $300."

Now, I'm not a sensitive person (or am I?) - but this annoyed this and I didn't bother replying. Instead, I posted it online asking for a "best offer by 12/22" with any amount over retail being donated to the local animal shelter. I got $800 for it.

This morning, the dude sends me a text asking when he can pick it up. I tell that I already sold it for $800 and he goes off accusing me of being a scalper, a grifter and a "thief who stole his kid's PS5" and "ruined Christmas".

Apparently, my silence - rather non-communication, meant consent to his $300 offer. He also said that he passed on really good deals just so that he could be a good friend to me and "help me out" by paying $300 for a used console ...

So, there you have it folks! I stole a PS5 from a friend's kid.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao he's so full of shit.

" He also said that he passed on really good deals just so that he could be a good friend to me and "help me out" by paying $300 for a used console ... "

I can't lmaoooooooo

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
To be fair, you are a scalper (your "friend" is an idiot though).

EDIT: Missed the animal shelter part, sorry!

Last edited:

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Member
You sound like a shitlord
Actually both you and your friend sound like shitlords.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was lucky enough to get a PS5 digital nearly a launch. Of course, I opened it up and played Demon Souls to my heart's content.

After that, however being a PC gamer, I really didn't have much use for it (I bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne and after that, it became a paperweight).

So, I asked around my friends circle if anyone wanted the PS5 at retail value and save themselves tax, shipping and the hassle of trying to buy one.

One "friend" offered me $300, which I politely turned down. Over the weekend, he contacted me again with his offer and I was open to it UNTIL he said something like "well, you've already used it so no one is going to pay you retail value for it. You should consider yourself lucky that I'm being a good friend and offering you $300."

Now, I'm not a sensitive person (or am I?) - but this annoyed this and I didn't bother replying. Instead, I posted it online asking for a "best offer by 12/22" with any amount over retail being donated to the local animal shelter. I got $800 for it.

This morning, the dude sends me a text asking when he can pick it up. I tell that I already sold it for $800 and he goes off accusing me of being a scalper, a grifter and a "thief who stole his kid's PS5" and "ruined Christmas".

Apparently, my silence - rather non-communication, meant consent to his $300 offer. He also said that he passed on really good deals just so that he could be a good friend to me and "help me out" by paying $300 for a used console ...

So, there you have it folks! I stole a PS5 from a friend's kid.

You are a scalper. But you didn't steal it from his kid.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
If he wanted it for his kid he shouldn't have tried to get it on the cheap. Especially when they are going for so much. He should have been grateful you were willing to sell for rrp.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
kY3bOlrh.jpg

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I see nothing wrong with what you did, your friend is just pissed he wasn't able to pull one over on you and get a discounted PS5 when there are basically zero available in the wild.

Edit: Also that parent ruined their kids' Christmas by not paying what the console is worth and they have no one to be pissed at but themselves for being a cheapass.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
'you wrecked a kids christmas' is a dumb AF argument by dumb AF parents. Kids under 14 won't really have the knowledge to be properly excited for these consoles and their feature set and kids over 14 don't care that much about gifts that I should be so sad they didn't get one. Not to mention the major games like demon souls etc are rated M.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I understand the angle of making someone indirectly donate hundreds to an animal shelter in the process.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck them kids

I mean in all honesty......what friend talks like that lol 😂. It was a dick move to sell for $800 you scalping ass, but you did donate the extra. but my lord that is one entitled "friend"

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your friend tried mugging you off, he knows how hard they are to get and how much they're re-selling for.

Fuck him, he could have at least offered you the full retail amount.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone saying the OP is a scalper is factually wrong, being a scalper requires buying a console without the intent to use it and with the intent to sell it for higher than RRP. Selling something you used because you realize you don't need it for best offer is not scalping.

Naveed

Oct 27, 2017
Your "friend" is just trying to make you feel bad for no reason. Who knows what they would have done with the console themselves. I'm sure they knew $300 was low.

And yeah dude you did nothing wrong. Whether it's "scalping" or not you didn't buy the system for the sole purpose of reselling it which is what I personally have a problem with. Good on you for donating profits to your animal shelter too.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't see anything wrong with this.

Your friend sounds like an asshole.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Well it was used 🤷‍♂️ I would never pay more than retail if it was used.
But in reality you became a scalper.
Additionally both of you aren't "friends" and just big jerks

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lol if every scalper was like OP the world would be a better place.

Your friend was being an ass, karma is a bitch I guess, he ruined his own christmas.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Lol, OP isn't a scalper. I'm assuming OP would've sold it to their friend for the asked retail price had their friend accepted the offer, but if you have an item for sale and people offer more than what you expected, take the deal. OP initially bought the console for themselves and after having fun with the reason OP bought it for, OP decided to sell it, nothing more to it.
Your friend is full of it, for real.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Your friend doesn't sound like a very good friend, more like a manipulative person that leverages others against each other (lol you know he told his kid it's your fault he's not getting a ps5 for Christmas, right? I hope you didn't like that kid, lol.)

Good on you for turning that negative energy into momentum for raising money for charity from folks that seem to have cash to spare.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying the OP is a scalper is factually wrong, being a scalper requires buying a console without the intent to use it and with the intent to sell it for higher than RRP. Selling something you used because you realize you don't need it for best offer is not scalping.

This, especially when the extra $$ goes to charity.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that friend would have flipped that console for more money. A father set on getting a PS5 for his child would immediately pick it up at msrp knowing how hard they are to obtain right now. His lowball actions, and trying to make you feel bad about it tells me he wasn't interested in making his kid happy. He was looking to enrich himself.