• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Today's Smash Direct has been great: character reveals, tons of content, details, info...
All pretty definite, but two parts: the blurred green menu, and the Monster Hunter content.

DkFYKw-UwAAXvOY.jpg

Rathalos is an assist trophy, which is pretty damn cool, and not the first third party character to end up like that.
On top of that, it's a boss, which sometimes makes sense when it is with a character, as seen with Dracula for the Castlevania reps, or Yellow Devil for Megaman. Or Ridley in the past. But Rathalos is the first and only third party boss character not being linked to a playable character in that franchise.
And then there's the stage, that some people probably recognized as the Steppes from Monster Hunter 4, and actually shown in the original reveal trailer for the game, at the same time as its 3DS exclusivity announcement. Like Rathalos, this is the very first and only stage representing a third party franchise with no playable character at all. It's also not shown in the stage selection, which is interesting.

Another interesting thing is how Nintendo's PR is talking only about Rathalos being an assist trophy, but not a stage.

Now there's basically two possibilities coming from that (I won't do any predictions or percentage of likeliness, I'm sure some will do that):

It's linked to the secret green mode , which is either some kind of boss rush mode, or Subspace Emissary-like mode for the more hopeful. It doesn't explain everything, like why a third party stage is here without any character, but would still mostly make sense.
UncommonMealyChuckwalla-size_restricted.gif

It's leading to a MonHun playable character , and hasn't been unveiled yet for various reasons. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate releases at the end of the month on Switch (nice way to remind people today that MH will be on this platform), and TGS is next month (where various MH games have been announced in the past). Around the same period, it also happened for Nintendo in the past to push a new MH game from Capcom at the end of one of their Directs, japanese or global. Which could tie in to a Smash reveal.
Now some years ago, the consensus was that Capcom wasn't sure how to put a MH hunter in a fighting game. Since then, Smash Bros WiiU got a Hunter skin, and the Hunter is arguably one of the most impressive characters in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.
tumblr_nvid366VhK1tafr4io3_400.gif
giphy.gif

There's also the possibility that a Prowler could end up being the character representing MH, both due to its friendliness (although Smash Ultimate is going for a more mature aspect for many new characters) and for the Prowler mode exclusive to MH Generations (and Ultimate), a Nintendo platform exclusive for now.
giphy.gif

In all cases, we should have more info in a few months when that green mode is revealed, or by around TGS (which could happen around the same time or not). It's a pretty unique case until then.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter was amazing in MvC:I, i'd like to see her again in Smash

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
There's also the possibility that they want to game to sell better and to try and tie an incredibly successful (now worldwide) IP to Nintendo they asked Capcom for Monster Hunter content but neither party wanted to commit to a character.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has something to do with the new mode.

I'm thinking however it's very likely Monster Hunter character rep will be DLC.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Certainly a possibility, but I just think about the idea that Capcom would get 3 playable reps, while some like Namco and Square are still currently stuck at 1, at the moment. Bit unbalanced, if there was at all the concern of each third party having "equal time", or whatever.

I'd be lying if I didn't want to see a Felyne Prowler make the cut, though. Simpler moveset in MHG/GU/X/XX would likely be easier to translate to Smash.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
My main take away from it was disappointment that we don't have a MH game on Switch that looks even half as good as that Rathalos model. I hope the next MH on Switch isn't remastering 3DS content.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
There's also this post from Sakurai I forgot about:

There's also the possibility that they want to game to sell better and to try and tie an incredibly successful (now worldwide) IP to Nintendo they asked Capcom for Monster Hunter content but neither party wanted to commit to a character.
It's in my OP.
It's a possibility, but would be the very first time it happens. It wouldn't be particularly shocking or weird if it was just Rathalos as an assist trophy. It's the stage that makes it really weird.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could mean they're waiting to reveal the new Monster Hunter game for the Switch and reveal the MH character in Super Smash alongside it in a Nintendo Direct in the future. It's possible. Especially when it was revealed at the very end randomly.. Could be a hint.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I also found it extremely weird. I mean, fine, there are two CAPCOM IPs here, so it wouldn't be impossible, but also... "here is Rathalos from MH"... What. how does that work? will we have shovel knight bosses? is this a new way to include other ips, since it's easier to create bosses than to balance ANOTHER character?

I was blown away when I saw that segment. Not even K. Rool made me that shocked.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Nice OP.

I was thinking the same thing. Either a Monster Hunter character, but I think you might be on to something with the Boss being present in that mode. Dracula too possibly.

I hope its an open SubSpace type with bigger developed boss fights. Boss Rush makes sense too

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I think it's weird they went out of their way to not talk about the stage. It's obviously not a "battle" stage?

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure the stage is similar to Rayquaza's and the like in Brawl. My bet is it being linked to green mode. Though I would love to see a playable Monster Hunter.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If that Adventure mode is indeed heroes vs. villains like people guessed, it'll need a playable character.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Would they really hold back a hunter announcement? I'd guess revealing the stage with Rathalos and the highlight means it's basically the rep. Bummer since Hunter is awesome in MvCI and would have been too perfect. It won't be the first time an IP has a stage without a rep, but the first one with such a readily apparent choice for a 3p.

I thought it might mean the mystery mode will be a single player that takes from franchises beyond IPs with reps.

Last edited:

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the stage might be a good indication of what's going on. Looked completely flat with no pits; we already have a couple of those, and those at least usually had occasional stage hazards or some kinda variation in geography. This very much seems like a stage built explicitly for fighting Rathalos, especially if it's not in the stage select. Either it's some kinda special stage in classic mode or it's part of the unrevealed mode, my hunch being the latter. The more and more I look at everything with this game, from trailers to which specific characters they're adding, it really seems like they might be setting up some kinda, not necessarily story mode, but something that ties the characters together in a more solid way

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't be the first time they went with a stage and assist trophy from a franchise without a character. They did it with Animal Crossing in Brawl. Villager didn't come until the next game.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they're waiting to unveil Monster Hunter Switch, which could be fairly imminent I guess. A MH stage without a MH character is really weird otherwise.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
The stage itself is strange, it's just flat with no drop offs at either end.
It honestly looks like it would be a level in Subspace because of that.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the smash team have been going ham since the first reveal, so I think it's safe to say that there will definitely be a playable character tied to everything monster hunter-related shown so far

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It wouldn't be the first time they went with a stage and assist trophy from a franchise without a character. They did it with Animal Crossing in Brawl. Villager didn't come until the next game.
It would be the first time for a third party franchise. Which is the point of the OP.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I think in this case, it's actually hinting at some kind of Boss Rush mode (I don't believe the green part of the main screen is Bosh Rush, it's not a really major mode imo).
If you look back at the Ancestral Steppe footage in the Direct, there was always only 1 character on it along with Rathalos. And we know we can't play with only 1 character without an opponent, so I believe this is some kind of Boss Rush mode that will include multiple bosses (I believe it's one of the reasons why they're building uppon the current bosses).

That said, it's still possible this means a possible Monster Hunter rep, but it doesn't have to be the case.
The Ancestral Steppe might or might not be a stage for standard battles, because it's clearly missing from the stage select screen. Though I still believe there will be more stages announced in the future.

So far, I think this strongly hints towards a new Boss Rush mode. And in Brawl, Boss Rush was just the boss battles from SE. So we might see a story mode which will feature boss fights, such as this fight against Rathalos.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Ancestral Steppe is definitely not a stage in the traditional sense. It's a plain, no-frills boss arena like the ones we had in Subspace.

I feel like Sakurai made it pretty clear that the current stage count is final. There's no reason for him to specifically say "exactly 100 stages" (once Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination are discounted, the only stages in the game not tied to a particular franchise) if that number was going to change later.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was a stage they showed, probably just a boss arena themed after the Ancestral Steppe for the secret mode.

DVG

Oct 31, 2017
I think the simple answer for no playable character is because Sakurai felt the MH series would be best represented with an actual monster boss

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note on the blurred green mode, someone on Twitter figured out it says "Spirits". Both in the English and Japanese versions. No idea what that means though. I also don't have a link handy but it's been floating around the various Smash threads today.

That's definitely possible but what of the stage in that case? It seems like there's a whole Monster Hunter stage, whether it's a standard Smash stage that for some reason didn't make it into the 103 total or just part of some yet to be revealed mode that's definitely interesting and worthy of some speculation.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Well I was thinking because Nintendo usually puts characters or things from upcoming or more recent games to promote them that maybe there could be a new Monster Hunter coming later on or just promoting the one that already exists.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Just a note on the blurred green mode, someone on Twitter figured out it says "Spirits". Both in the English and Japanese versions. No idea what that means though. I also don't have a link handy but it's been floating around the various Smash threads today.

That's definitely possible but what of the stage in that case? It seems like there's a whole Monster Hunter stage, whether it's a standard Smash stage that for some reason didn't make it into the 103 total or just part of some yet to be revealed mode that's definitely interesting and worthy of some speculation.
It doesn't really look like a stage to me. It's a completely flat arena, like some Subspace bosses. This is also the case for the hallway Dracula is fought in.

So I'd say the two parts of your post are connected.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Smash Bros. already has freakin' Cloud, the protagonist of a game that not only has never been playable on a Nintendo console, but is also the one game most significantly considered pivotal to the breaking point of Nintendo losing its dominance in the console market to Sony.

At this point there really aren't any rules anymore on what makes sense to be featured in Smash and what doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.