• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
tenor.gif
Stromboli's name in the original Italian story by Carlo Collodi was Mangiafoco which is an archaic expression "Fire-eater", while his animated counterpart is named after Stromboli, an Italian volcano (the food called "stromboli" is named for the same volcano).
Source: https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Stromboli

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea. The vast majority of us Americans have likely never heard of the island, volcano, or movie. Meanwhile, the food Stromboli is everywhere.

Yet the rest of the world would likely never heard of the food.

Anyway with the word volcano and erupted in the title what Americans would think this thread is about? Food? Lol

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's good it was during the day (unfortunately bbc was reporting one dead) because most excursions are done during the night.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I live in Italy and i didn't know that Stromboli was also a type of food.

It doesn't surprise me though... Outside Italy there is " Spagetti alla bolognese " as a type of pasta which doesn't even exist in Bologna or Italy.

Btw really sad that a guy died due to this.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I live in Italy and i didn't know that Stromboli was also a type of food.

It doesn't surprise me though... Outside Italy there is " Spagetti alla bolognese " as a type of pasta which doesn't even exist in Bologna or Italy.

Btw really sad that a guy died due to this.
That's sad. Is it popular with tourists? Wondering if this is a "surprised it was only one" situation.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Do you guys realize that Stromboli the food is an American dish that was probably named after the island (or movie...) and the thread title is pretty accurate. I can't see how you can read Volcano erupted and think about food....

Becaue I've eaten a Stromboli, and I've never heard of the Stromboli volcano.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I've known about the Stromboli volcano since I was five years old. I don't study volcanos in my free time.
Okay

I'm just saying dude, like people are trying to put food on their plates and worrying about debt and work and shit, it's not uncommon for someone to not know of a volcano likely thousands of miles away. I went through school too and have never heard of it until now.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There must be some sort of American running gag going on here because I don't quite get like 90% of the posts

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
damn nature you scary hopefully doesn't get worse. Also, I'm from the US and never heard stromboli as a food, check mate.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay

I'm just saying dude, like people are trying to put food on their plates and worrying about debt and work and shit, it's not uncommon for someone to not know of a volcano likely thousands of miles away. I went through school too and have never heard of it until now.

Come on, do not take offense but that is the typical "if it is outside US we don't study it does not matter" that is the cliche for Americans. We in the other countries also have to put food on the table, work hard, etc and still learn things from thousand miles away or centuries ago. And I have learned about volcanos and major volcanos around the world since I was a kid (because most kids are curious about this kind of stuff).

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Come on, do not take offense but that is the typical "if it is outside US we don't study it does not matter" that is the cliche for Americans. We in the other countries also have to put food on the table, work hard, etc and still learn things from thousand miles away or centuries ago. And I have learned about volcanos and major volcanos around the world since I was a kid (because most kids are curious about this kind of stuff).

What's the name of the volcano in Hawaii that erupted for 6 months last year, without looking it up.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Give me a fucking break. Learning every volcano in school is an incredible waste of time. It's literally one of the least important pieces of information to have. It'd be like learning the name of every mountain, it makes no sense unless there is some huge historical or cultural relevance.
There must be some sort of American running gag going on here because I don't quite get like 90% of the posts
A significant portion of Italian immigrants to America came from Southern Italy/Sicily. One of the very popular Italian American food inventions is named after the Volcano.

Oct 27, 2017

Name me all the five active major volcanos in Washington State without looking it up. Hint: None of them is named Teriyaki Chicken Volcano.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
What's the name of the volcano in Hawaii that erupted for 6 months last year, without looking it up.

Kilauea

Name me all the five active major volcanos in Washington State without looking it up. Hint: None of them is named Teriyaki Chicken Volcano.

That is not what I meant. I mean that was the type of answer that reforces the stereotype. Of course not all Americans don't know about Stromboli but the anecdotal fact that you don't know does not implies that it is the normal or that regular people does not have the time to learn that.

Stromboli is one famous volcano, so famous that it names one of the major types of volcanos (and the classification of volcanos was teached at my school (almost 40 years ago so Lol things could have changed)

Give me a fucking break. Learning every volcano in school is an incredible waste of time. It's literally one of the least important pieces of information to have. It'd be like learning the name of every mountain, it makes no sense unless there is some huge historical or cultural relevance.

See above. It is not even a minor piece of information. Stromboli is a very famous volcano, very active (and has historical relevance) and named one of the volcanos types in their classification (having a relevance in sciences too).

Edited: and a final note: how would feel if "Kilauea" was a name of a dish only know in Japan and Japanese people started making food jokes about its eruption when people have died? (I know Kilauea did not kill anyone last year and also I am using Japan as a random example nothing against them)

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rainier, Adams, Baker, St. helens, Glacier Peak. Hoping to climb Mt. Adams next year! Don't think I can do it this year.

But I studied geology and now live in Washington so thats cheating

also learned about Stromboli the volcano before knowing about the food

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

"Don't take offense, but here's why you're a stupid American and I'm smarter than you are."

Very cool post (and this goes to everyone making these shit heel comments).

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Edited: and a final note: how would feel if "Kilauea" was a name of a dish only know in Japan and Japanese people started making food jokes about its eruption when people have died? (I know Kilauea did not kill anyone last year and also I am using Japan as a random example nothing against them)
Japanese people are not the same as Hawaiian people guy.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
"Don't take offense, but here's why you're a stupid American and I'm smarter than you are."

Very cool post (and this goes to everyone making these shit heel comments).

Ok, maybe that wasn't well written/thought. I meant that you shouldn't take your anecdotal evidence (that you don't know it) and make it generic. It just reinforces the stereotype. My apologies.

Japanese people are not the same as Hawaiian people guy.

It was just an exemple. Read it again. The poster was referring to an eruption i Hawaii and I just randomly selected another country to make the exemple. I was not saying Hawaii people were Japanese people.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was also not familiar with this volcano until I read Journey to the Centre of the Earth. It really isn't that well known imo.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It was just an exemple. Read it again. The poster was referring to an eruption i Hawaii and I just randomly selected another country to make the exemple. I was not saying Hawaii people were Japanese people.
It's a fucking shitty example seeing as the Stromboli food is created by Italian Americans.

Kilauea is a Hawaiian word and not Japanese or remotely even closely related to the Japanese.

Did a bunch of Hawaiians immigrate to Japan or something? Settled down, and created a bunch of food of Hawaiian origin and then become part of Japanese culture?