• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. There has been at least one death and people are talking about food. SMH.

I hope casualties are kept to a minimum and everyone is safe.

I think we have to stop to talk about that. It is really an embarrassing for them and they just don't get it. "I only know the dish". Ok, the thread title and a quick reading of the OP should have been enough to educate them and stop silly food jokes, but no (they need to act the way that reinforces all stereotypes and them I am criticized for pointing it out).

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the report from the Brazilian guy that was on the volcano island at the moment of eruption. The Italian guy that was with him died:

It is in Portuguese, still trying to find an English version. There is a video on the link of the eruption.

Original text from BBC, still in Portuguese:

Holy FUCK at that video

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Holy FUCK at that video

His account was also terrifying:

"Suddenly, we heard an explosion. We looked up and saw a rain of solidified lava that fell everywhere, it was a shower of debris the size of a stove, or a washing machine"
We found a space where the fire had already gone out, but the ground was boiling." But from that moment Massimo started to feel sick and ended up sitting down, I think he was dehydrated.

"I tried to stop him from lying on the hot floor so he would not make it worse, but I could see he was breathing hard and losing consciousness." Crouching, I began to slap his face and mouth to mouth, supporting my back I tried to do cardiac massage with strength, even though I did not know much how to do it, I tried every way to save his life."

Dec 31, 2017
That video is insane...that has to be so terrifying.

Maybe lay off the stromboli jokes for now dudes, as people seem to have been affected by this.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
"Don't take offense, but here's why you're a stupid American and I'm smarter than you are."

Very cool post (and this goes to everyone making these shit heel comments).

It's perfectly fine if you don't know the name of a volcano in the Mediterranea sea.

It's not perfectly fine if you come here just to make a joke about the name when a natural disaster happened.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a terrifying way to go. I'm not American, but I've only ever heard of Mt. Vesuvius and Mt. Aetna, whereas I've heard of a "stromboli" referred to as a food item multiple times. This is probably the first time I've seen the volcano mentioned in the news.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That sounds like a terrifying way to go. I'm not American, but I've only ever heard of Mt. Vesuvius and Mt. Aetna, whereas I've heard of a "stromboli" referred to as a food item multiple times. This is probably the first time I've seen the volcano mentioned in the news.
I went up all three last month (in fact in a crazy 3 day span). Stromboli is extremely active and one smaller explosion would occur every 20 minutes or so.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
How close were you allowed to get to Stromboli? That sounds like something I would enjoy watching...from a very large distance away.

Despite very active I guess it wasn't very dangerous. I climbed both Vesuvius and Santorine which are nearby in south Italy. You can go up to the border and see flumes.

Last edited:

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. The ground was very hot and they were running from the fall of debris. The guy dehydrated really fast, which caused the collapse.

Oh, I misunderstood what the guy was saying in the quoted text. I thought the dehydration was a symptom of the heart attack. The way he describes doing a cardiac massage makes me think of heart attack, not dehydration.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I misunderstood what the guy was saying in the quoted text. I thought the dehydration was a symptom of the heart attack. The way he describes doing a cardiac massage makes me think of heart attack, not dehydration.

No worries, it was a quick google translation from the original text, some context may be lost.

The other guy panicked (very understandable due to situation) and did not know what to do, so he tried a massage and mouth to mouth resuscitation. Maybe the other guy heart was failing, but it was a symptom of the dehydration. They ran into an area that were already burned by the debris, he described the soil as boiling.

The video is absolutely terrifying when he realized what was happening and started to run.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How close were you allowed to get to Stromboli? That sounds like something I would enjoy watching...from a very large distance away.
you go to the top, stand 1 meter from the crater and watch the lava, I took this picture:

FshfYJV.jpg

If this explosion happened at night, there'd be a lot more causalities.

Despite very active I guess it wasn't very dangerous. I climbed both Vesuvius and Santorine which are nearby in south Italy. You can go up to the border and see flumes.
Vesuvius and Santorine (do you mean Santorini, in greece?) aren't really that close!