• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Marking this thread as a rumor. Not sure if there are previous threads about this.

According to Cinepolis, The Super Mario Bros. Movie has a runtime length of 85 minutes.

cinepolis.com

Super Mario Bros. La Película | Cinépolis ENTRA

Un fontanero llamado Mario viaja a través de un laberinto subterráneo con su hermano, Luigi, tratando de salvar a una princesa capturada. Adaptación cinematográfica del popular videojuego.

ldhlHN0.png

We used to say the American distributors selected 90 minutes as the cut-off point for any film being shown in cinemas back in the 1910s ~ 1920s and onwards. I don't know if there are hard rules about this nowadays. But, assuming we're still sticking with this rule, it's possible the Super Mario Bros. Movie might have a limited theatrical release?

Thoughts? I just want a discussion telling me to correct myself on this.

EDIT: Purged thought.

Last edited:

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me this is a satire thread?

"Super Mario Bros. Movie might have a limited theatrical release?"

This is set to be one of the biggest animated movies of all time on so many levels.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Sub-90 minute runtimes for theatrical releases aren't unprecedented, especially in animation. Corpse Bride, for instance, is 77 minutes!

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I think It's too soon for a final cut and this length is quite common with animated films

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought tickets for the three hour and ten minute long Avatar sequel, so an 85 minute Mario movie sounds mighty fucking fine.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
80-85 minute movies aren't unusual at all, especially for theatrical releases. With that runtime, it'll release very wide, have probably two screens showing it 8-9x a day each for maximum bank.

Oct 25, 2017
Is that weird? There have been lots of theatrical releases that have been far below 90mins. The Rugrats Movie's run time for example is barely 79 minutes.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
But, assuming we're still sticking with this rule, it's possible the Super Mario Bros. Movie might have a limited theatrical release?

Thoughts? I just want a discussion telling me to correct myself on this.
That makes zero sense, a shorter run-time means theaters can get more screenings into a day, meaning more showings meaning more tickets sold meaning more $$$.
Also I would take this random website's runtime listing with a grain of salt, since Illumination is still working on the animation and isn't anywhere close to a locked-in edit yet.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Under 90 minutes isn't remotely unusual. Obviously it's not going to have a limited release either.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That's only 1 minute longer than Beauty and the Beast and 4 minutes longer than Toy Story. Mario is doomed.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Ok, good to know. I have no idea what or how the movie industry operates on this hard line rule. I'll edit my post.
It wasn't even a hard line rule back then, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was 83 minutes in 1937 just because Walt Disney wasn't sure if an audience would be willing to sit through an animated film that was 90 minutes long.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
what even is this thread

Dumbo was 64 minutes

there was never any agreed-upon minimum of 90 minutes for theatrical distribution from the 1920s

distributors tend to prefer shorter runtimes to longer ones, as they can get more showings in per day per screen

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't afford to have Chris Pratt in the studio more because of how cool he is

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
land before time is less than 70 minutes long and it might just be the best movie ever made.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
The shortest movie I can remember seeing in theaters was Inspector Gadget at 78 minutes. Excluding credits it was barely over an hour long.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
As far as I am aware, the 90 minute rule only really existed during the 80s and 90s era and was created as a sort of distribution restriction against the wave of amateur VHS that was growing in that time. Rather then sift through hundreds and thousands of just everything, distribution companies had a 90 minute rule.

However if a real movie was made from an actual production company, run time didn't matter. Anything below 40 minutes is a short film, anything above is fine.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Not that weird for most animated family films and is pretty bang on for Illumination stuff in particular (last Minions movie 87, Secret Life of Pets 2 86, The Grinch 85, etc).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just five minutes? It's still close enough to 90 minutes. It's still long, just like any movie.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Kids have short attention spans. 20-25 min trailers plus 90 min movies is the max. (tbh, probably too long).

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
Huh?

85 minutes is totally standard for a kid's animated movie. The Lion King is 87 minutes, and I doubt this movie's plot will be as heavy.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Some great movies that are less than 90 minutes:

• What We Do in the Shadows
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Toy Story

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Small if true.

But not a big deal to me if it is that length, as long as it's a decent movie for me and my kids.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My uncle who works at Illumination said the director's cut will add an hour of additional screaming Toads

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It seems like the longest Despicable Me/Minions movie is 96 mins long, with the latest entry clocking in at an even 90. 85 seems pretty on par with the studio's output

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
85 minutes is actually a normal and healthy running time for a CGI children's movie cash-in-type-thing. It's entirely possible they landed on it by accident after having to cut out huge amounts of garbage, mind you