• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
They are close to untouchable imo... They are so very consistently good. At the time it kind of blew my mind how far video game music had come up to that point. As much as I enjoyed Odyssey overall, I don't think anything they do will ever match what the Galaxy games did musically...

Melty Molten Galaxy (YT: Melty Molten Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy)
embed.svg

Goes Without Saying (YT: Gusty Garden Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy)
embed.svg

And So It Begins (YT: Good Egg Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy)
embed.svg

Come On This Shit Is Ridiculous (YT: Sky Station Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 2)
embed.svg

Yes Put Me To Sleep Nintendo (YT: Comet Observatory 1 - Super Mario Galaxy)
embed.svg

Yup... Yuupppppp... (YT: Space Junk Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy)
embed.svg

This Bops Hard And Yo KNow It (YT: Yoshi Star Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 2)
embed.svg

Please, share your favorites with me.

Throw me in a launch star if you're tired of hearing this take.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
The first Nintendo orchestrated soundtrack and still one of the greatest in the industry. I'll dance Comet Observatory in my wedding (If I ever get married).

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like after doing a space epic, they decided to scale it down a bit for subsequent soundtracks to match the setting size. Wonder what happens if they ever tried for another space Mario game.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy, 3D World and Odyssey all have amazing soundtracks. I wish the NSMB series had got music that good instead of the "bah bah" rubbish.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii Nintendo was on a weird "epic" orchestral kick, I guess kicked off by the response to that Twilight Princess trailer.

It's really good in retrospect but I'm glad they've moved on since.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
it's aight, i like the more recent stuff. Has more personality than just being "epic" imo

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they playable with a real controller on dolphin yet? Didn't really feel SMO so might look into this.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
The Galaxy duology nailed not only the music, but also a lot of different things like the visuals and the excellent, top of the industry level design.

But yes, the soundtracks are mind-blowing and truly revolutionary.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Very fitting for a godtier game(s). Both soundtracks get a regular listen from me.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
They have incredible OSTs. 2 is a bit more gamey. 1 has a bit more or an epics feel. Both are so fucking varied though.

Gusty Garden and Fluffy Bluffy are so good. And Melty Monster. Jfc.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Incredible soundtracks. Nintendo killed it in the soundtrack department on the Wii.
Twilight Princess has, in my opinion, the best soundtrack in a Zelda game and Epic Yarn has the best soundtrack in a Kirby game.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Obligatory Iwata Asks link about the first Game's OST: Iwata Asks : Super Mario Galaxy : Why Use an Orchestra?

It's a goddamn crime how both game's soundtracks aren't readily available for purchase. (sobs internally)

I recently came to really appreciate the Melty Monster Galaxy track from the 2nd game,
It starts intense enough, but it then breaks into a GODLY epic part with the brasses, fuck, it makes me emotional just thinking about it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
3D World had a phenomenal big band soundtrack as well. So does Mario Kart 8.

Odyssey felt more atmospheric to me and I wasn't as big a fan.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, my friend. Both 1+2 soundtracks are the best of all time in the 3D platform genre and one of the best in gaming industry.

ES76

Feb 27, 2018
Agreed, one of the best soundtracks of all time, just about every track is memorable.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt about it. Two of the best gaming soundtracks of all time. Pure wonder, heart, and spectacle.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the Super Mario Galaxy 2 Credits theme is better than the first game. prove me wrong