• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
PS2 is really the only system in contention with the SNES I think. I would love to see a list of the top 25-30 games on each system and how they stack up to each other.
I think a top 20 comparison between em has the SNES winning. The top 5 JRPGs, SMW, Super Metroid and SMW are tough to compete with.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Lo these many years and I still don't like the sound chip even though I do acknowledge what it accomplished was impressive for the time.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
It's phenomenal. The NES was a little rough around the edges, the SNES polished everything out and had some of the absolute best 2D/sprite games of all time. It was already one of my favorite systems when I had one as a kid, and FF6, Chrono Trigger, and SMW were always right at the top of my favorite games list. Buying one at a retro games store in 2014 and playing games like Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario RPG for the first time really locked it in as an all time great for me, though. Those games are absolutely incredible today, even with no nostalgia attached to them.

Jan 31, 2019
So many amazing games. First Party Nintendo was firing on all cylinders. The third party support was there. Nintendo's console wasn't an entire generation behind in tech. The controller was everything anyone ever needed for a 2D console. It was the complete package. I'm Sorry Mega Drive you were special but there is only one king.

1200px-Nintendo-Super-Famicom-Set-FL.png
đź‘Ť

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Great system. It's not my favorite but since it was so well-supported I can find games that I'd like to play on it even now.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was perfect but you know what was even more perfect

The first time you boot up this game

Jan 31, 2019
I can't really appreciate the SNES fully because my experiences are limited, but I feel I get a similar level of appreciation for most people here for the PS1.
Ps1 holds up really unpleasant compared to the snes. SNES is timesless - like wearing jeans. PS1 is like wearing Reebok pumps - was really cool in its time but would get laughed at today.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Ps1 holds up really unpleasant compared to the snes. SNES is timesless - like wearing jeans. PS1 is like wearing Reebok pumps - was really cool in its time but would get laughed at today.

Yeah, I'm super nostalgic for the PS1, but a lot of those games just weren't very good by modern standards because 3D was so experimental still. Trying to play games like Battle Arena Toshinden now is not a good time. The 2D/sprite stuff is amazing, though.

Nov 23, 2017
Believe it or not the pixel art revival stuff was originally treated like this, now no one is going to tell you stuff like ffvi is ugly. Right now early 3d is really polarizing but I bet it'll become as well liked as 2d was due to nostalgia and due to new games with the aesthetic tricking people like shovel knight into thinking the look was better than it was

But I truly believe some ps1 and a lot of Saturn and n64 3d really holds up

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
*Genesis

wait, "NES games are unplayable"? y'all.....

The SNES was awesome but, like every system, it was hardly perfect. It was a bit weak for certain kinds of action platformers. I like Hagane and Run Saber but they're no Shinobi III or Strider. There were CD-ROM experiences back then with no real equivalents on SNES, like Snatcher and Sam & Max. Its shooter selection is notably weaker than its two main rival consoles. Several multi-format games were better elsewhere. It's kind of crazy the degree this site puts the SNES on a pedestal as if it didn't have excellent competition that was better in some ways and worse in others.

my dude always brings quality to his posts

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Please correct me if I'm wrong with this assessment, but the SNES wasn't perfect because it had a worse processor. Nintendo wanted to have backwards compatibility with the NES, so they forced themselves to go with a processor that wasn't as good (slower and not quite as user friendly) as the competition.

If it had a better processor, then the SNES would most likely have more games that have many objects on screen, like shmups, shooters, and whatnot. It does have some really good ones, though, like Parodius, Axelay, and Contra 3. And some talented teams did manage to make games that got a lot out of the system and still remained smooth, like Rendering Ranger and Super Turrican. But it was a lot tougher due to the processor.

But the SNES did have better graphics than the TurboGrafx and Genesis, as it had more colors, background layers, and effects (like alpha blending / translucency and Mode 7). Therefore it was especially great for games like JRPGs that didn't need a super fast processor, but aimed to have the best looking graphics and music.

Ps1 holds up really unpleasant compared to the snes.

I wish there were more 2D games on the PS1, as they actually look really great on the system. Rayman, the Parodius games, Harmful Park, Castlevania SotN, the Mega Man games, Capcom's fighting games, they all have great pixel art that holds up extremely well. They have tons of sprites, giant sprites, and many layers of parallax scrolling. Even "2.5D" games like Einhander and G-Darius look pretty good, actually.

NES games are unplayable.

I bet I could name 50 that are still playable, even by modern standards. And I mean, good, tight controls, little to no cheap difficulty or random difficulty spikes, well polished, and also has a lot of variety in the game itself. Many of which are better than their sequels and remakes, or the indie games that desperately try to be like them.

Here I go...

Super Mario 3
Kirby's Adventure
Mr. Gimmick
Super Mario 2
Mega Man 3, 4, 5, 6
Chip and Dale
Kid Dracula
Balloon Fight
Punch-Out
Tecmo Bowl (and Tecmo Super Bowl)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and 3
Tetris
Dr. Mario
Bomberman 2
Contra
Super Contra
Fire 'n Ice
Wrecking Crew
Adventures of Lolo 1, 2, and 3
Wario's Woods
Ducktales

Okay, so only 28 games I can think of...

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
The jump from the NES to the SNES is insane. In the NES unless it's like Megaman or Mario nothing's worth playing today, in the SNES pretty much every great game is still enjoyable.

That was only an incremental jump compared to the jump from Atari to NES. The NES had a few stinkers (what system doesn't) but it was a revolutionary system with a mostly fantastic library.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The console I grew up with. It has my favorite controller of all time and houses my favorite game of all time, Kirby Super Star.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was only an incremental jump compared to the jump from Atari to NES. The NES had a few stinkers (what system doesn't) but it was a revolutionary system with a mostly fantastic library.
A lot of people jumped from Atari 2600 to NES but if you had a Colecovision and Commodore 64 in between, it wasn't as much of a technology jump. The NES was amazing, though. I don't get how people can find it unplayable today. It has a lot of variety.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
Sorry, but Sega Channel trumps the SNES for me. I don't recall having 50-100 SNES titles to choose from each month for $15, some of which never actually released in retail in the US.

Granted, it was a service that only lasted a few years, but it ingrained most of the Genesis library in my head, while the SNES sat there mostly unused outside of the big titles like SMW.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the titles never really fit me my tastes, loved tetris attack though.

Did you not really start gaming until the PSX era, or mainly stuck with PC until later? The SNES had practically every genre at the time, even if it happened to excel with JRPGs compared to other available consoles during that same period. I pretty much grabbed each console that I could as it was released, and as much as I enjoyed the Genesis when there was nothing much else, once the SNES hit, there was no comparison.

This is also the best looking version of the system too. Why did the US have to get two really awful looking Nintendo systems in a row? One looked like a fucking VHS/Laserdisc player and the other just looked chunky as hell, like some kind of Transformer. Sure, there were later revisions that greatly improved the look of both, but those were pretty late in the game.

Last edited:

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue with the SNES is that the CPU was such a huge bottleneck. Yes special chips HELPED, but you could only do so much. This resulted in titles having a lot of slowdown. There are few exceptions that got around this problem like Ranger X or Turtles in Time, but they were the exceptions.

It's why I have a lot more respect for the MegaDrive as while it didn't have the color pallete, games tended to run smooth as butter.

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people jumped from Atari 2600 to NES but if you had a Colecovision and Commodore 64 in between, it wasn't as much of a technology jump. The NES was amazing, though. I don't get how people can find it unplayable today. It has a lot of variety.

I never owned a NES myself but i played many of it's games throughout the years and most of the classic games on that system hold up really well. I really don't agree that they are unplayable or really cheap, as many people tend to claim. Games like Castlevania were difficult but still expertly designed.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
For NES games it really depends.

A lot of the platformers from the era are still good games. RPG's on the other hand can be quite frustrating to play with horrible encounter rates, bad translations, obtuse progression and overall quite lacking in appeal outside of historical curiosity.

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
The Super Slowtendo, slow ass processor, with lower resolution than the Megadrive and sampled sound that felt like it was being played from some Anunnaki cave from Irak.

Gimme Megadrive with 68000 heart on fire and blast processing.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's an amazing system, but perfect? Nah. Game prices were out of control back then, especially in the later years. Probably the worst period, price-wise, in video game history.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
SNES is probably my favorite retro console of all time. Its first party library is legendary with its excellent third party software.

Not to mention it introduced me to F-Zero, Mega Man, and my favorite Mario game Yoshi's Island.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
A lot of people jumped from Atari 2600 to NES but if you had a Colecovision and Commodore 64 in between, it wasn't as much of a technology jump.
PCs probably shouldn't count, otherwise the x68000 would have just destroyed everything, lol.

But the Colecovision was actually fairly close to the NES in some ways. I did a little research, and it appears that the off-the-shelf TI graphics chip that the Colecovision used to produce graphics was also used (in modified form) for the SEGA Master System. But one of the most important things the Colecovision lacks when compared to the NES is screen scrolling.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
NES games are unplayable.

Super Nintendo still holds up as one of if not the best console of all time
First sentence is wrong. I still love a good NES game. You get such a rush when you master them and they are short enough that it is really easy to go back to the classic games.

Second sentence I got no issue with. Checks out.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So many amazing games. First Party Nintendo was firing on all cylinders. The third party support was there. Nintendo's console wasn't an entire generation behind in tech. The controller was everything anyone ever needed for a 2D console. It was the complete package. I'm Sorry Mega Drive you were special but there is only one king.

I liked it and all, but there's no sugarcoating that the Genesis was KILLING it throughout the early 90s.

First and Third party had a gigantic sports sized hole in it too- which SEGA SPORTS was all too happy to fill.

Ran a select few in 60fps. The amount of slowdown was pretty high on SNES games AFAIR

I think the slowdown was an early generation thing. R-type was HORRIBLE about this. Devs got a handle on whatever the issue was later in the generation, I don't think it was quite as common after years 1 and 2.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The jump from the NES to the SNES is insane. In the NES unless it's like Megaman or Mario nothing's worth playing today,

This is the hottest of hot takes. Did the NES classic not just fly off shelves only a year or two back? The vast majority of NES games are perfectly playable. And I'll argue anyday that the NES library was more diverse and interesting overall than the SNES library was.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This is the hottest of hot takes. Did the NES classic not just fly off shelves only a year or two back? The vast majority of NES games are perfectly playable. And I'll argue anyday that the NES library was more diverse and interesting overall than the SNES library was.
The NES Mini sold well because it was a new thing at the time and it being rare only increased the attention on the product. Mario 1/2/3 play fine. MegaMan 2-6 play fine. Tetris is good, Kirby's fun as well.

Any other game I'd have trouble recommending

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favorite console ever. FFVI and Zelda LttP are two of my favorite 5-6 games ever