• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017

Like a lot of companies, Deck 13 seems to have taken fan feedback to heart, resulting in a couple small, yet important changes. First and foremost, The Surge 2 will no longer follow Warren, replaced by a customizable character, which includes gender, beards, race and all that good stuff. From there, it's no longer centered in a building, taking place outside in a fenced off town.

From what was shown, enemies were hostile mercenaries, looking to come out ahead. These enemies seemed significantly smarter than any enemy in The Surge, utilizing traps, stealth armor, laying in wait and more. To counter this, they increased weapon types to 10, created new armor and changed drones.

Only one of the new weapons was shown, a bladed hammer that was a hybrid of heavy-duty and dual wield. If this sounds confusing, the way the weapon works is slower attacks use the weapons full force, where as rapidly pressing attack separates it into two distinct and different weapons.

No specifics were given on armor, outside of two things. You still need to remove limbs to obtain a schematic and then craft it and some armor from the original will return. No specifics were given on returning content, though they confirmed it will be a "tasteful" amount.

In addition to collecting armor schematics and weapons, long range weapons can also be obtained by enemies. Instead of using a gun to blast foes, these weapons are applied to the drone, potentially giving players far more options than were previously available.

While The Surge 2 is still in the early stages of development, it certainly seems like it's heading in the right direction. With plans to increase the number of bosses, more varied combat, a more diverse location to explore and more, it looks to be much of what players were looking for in a sequel. Hopefully, as we get closer to the 2019 release, it will continue to improve and be everything fans are hoping for.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2018/06/e3-2018-the-surge-2-looks-to-be-quite-the-improvement/

For me, the gameplay look just about the same ? but i am glad this time will have more boss to fight and range weapon.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was never interested on the first since I really hated the look of the preset character.

Interested in this one since it looks like they improved upon the first plus custom character.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking it. The new weapon almost reminds me of the trick weapons from Bloodborne except you can use both forms at the same time and the new enemies look really cool. I'm also enjoying the change in environments even if a forest isn't exactly the most unique setting. I do however love the destruction of the things like tree's and other parts of the environment during the battle.

Some quick gifs:

New weapon finisher
giphy.gif

Dark Souls robot with shield slam
giphy.gif

Eye laser and environmental destruction
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Customizable character is a huge plus. I legitimately hated Lords of the Fallen but thought The Surge was a pretty good B-game.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the first game for free recently and I'm enjoying it. Definitely would have preferred to create my own character though, so I'm happy to see it will be possible in the sequel.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm if you are fighting mercs now that kinda changes the moral tone of your actions. Wonder how they will handle that?

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looks a lot better than the first one already, also like the how the weapon can change forms on the fly as well.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get how they still haven't nailed movement in the slightest. It looks just as floaty to play as their other games.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I still don't get how they still haven't nailed movement in the slightest. It looks just as floaty to play as their other games.

Have you played the first Surge? I've heard plenty of legit complaints, but I never found the game floaty. I'd actually have said the exact opposite, player movement feels very weighty and powerful.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Eh...Not entirely sure if I'm feeling it just yet. I'm pretty deep in the first one and my complaints are the lack of attack variety with different weapons, level design, and terrible enemy placement. This footage doesn't seem to have fixed my first issue, despite that being a new weapon. I'll have to wait to see more but I'll more than likely wait tell all the DLC is out (or maybe get it free again lol).

Oct 27, 2017
Pleasantly surprised by my time with The Surge on PS4 after scooping it gratis, so I'll definitely give this one a look. My hope is that Focus Home considers a lower price out of the gate - this is a $30 or $40 game in a FROM Software-dominated world.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not the most exciting piece of footage they could've shown, but I'm happy to finally hear something. The Surge was a real dark horse game for me, so I'll be watching this with great interest.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please do not have stupid poison sections again. Grinding for gear to make those areas negligible is always shitty.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please do not have stupid poison sections again. Grinding for gear to make those areas negligible is always shitty.
They basically patched that out. Unless you're talking about modern surge, in which case it's really not that big of a deal. 1.0 it was a fucking nightmare tho >.>

Especially that last level god damn

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The movement in combat looks a bit wonky to me, like there's no weight to your character or the suit you are in the way it literally moves around so fast in a split second, they need to tone the speed of movement down and put more weight into the movements imo.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The movement in combat looks a bit wonky to me, like there's no weight to your character or the suit you are in the way it literally moves around so fast in a split second, they need to tone the speed of movement down and put more weight into the movements imo.

God, I can't imagine trying to play the first one if they'd slowed down the dodging. It's hard enough of a game as it is.

Avoiding enemy attacks is a huge part of the game, so a responsive dodge is arguably the most critical combat ability in there.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
The "suit" is an exoskeleton, not just some regular heavy metal armor. Exoskeletons are meant to enhance speed, strength, etc...

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the first one. Played through 3 NGs. I didnt even know they were making a second one.

Oct 27, 2017
Currently playing through the first and finished Lords of the Fallen recently, and my biggest complaint with both is most weapons not feeling fun to use. I'll be keeping my eye on improvements there.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Halo Souls or Sci-fi Souls goes Dark Souls?? Jokes aside, I think it's nice with foggy woods and mechs

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently played through the first one and it's easily the most fun I've ever head in a Souls-like (then again I only played DS1 out of the "original" Souls games, so), and the first one I finished - and did so quite quickly, too. The sequel seems largely similar but improved in multiple areas: character creation, animations, attacks, environment destruction, etc.. I'm fine with that, personally.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Only just got the first one on sale for the 1X. It's nice to have a souls game in a different setting, plus once you get the combat right, it can be pretty satisfying but the game is clunky. Footage of S2 looks much smoother and combat looks more refined. Will keep an eye on it.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. I hope they release the video on Gamersyde, so I can see it in full detail. The quality on this one is kind of shitty.
Also, cloth physics. Nice.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I just can't get into the whole exoskeleton aesthetic for a souls game. My character never felt cool, the weapons looked terrible. Part of what makes Soulsborne great is the fantasy of being a badass character who looks cool.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I just can't get into the whole exoskeleton aesthetic for a souls game. My character never felt cool, the weapons looked terrible. Part of what makes Soulsborne great is the fantasy of being a badass character who looks cool.
Agree, that's why i shed a tear for first person Cyberpunk instead of third person. Seeing all the flashy neon jackets on your char would have been nice. You are probably going to see them in cutscenes/dialog though since the devs say that they emphasize customization and appearance,

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Like what I've seen,combat looks to be faster which is good. Hopefully the whole game is not played in the jungle only. Can't wait!

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had the same feeling but maybe adding camera shakes/ different sound effect would give the same effect