• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Is it important to finish the First for 2? Played it to after the First Boss before it got removed in GP. It had its flaws, but I had funktioniert with it.

In terms of story, not really. The Surge 2 takes place a few months after the first one and there are several references to the first game, as well as some returning characters, but the story is mostly self-contained and even the main character is different.

In terms of gameplay, go straight into The Surge 2, it is a remarkable improvement over The Surge 1 in most aspects.

RonianAT

Jul 23, 2019
In terms of story, not really. The Surge 2 takes place a few months after the first one and there are several references to the first game, as well as some returning characters, but the story is mostly self-contained and even the main character is different.

In terms of gameplay, go straight into The Surge 2, it is a remarkable improvement over The Surge 1 in most aspects.
Thank you! I love Soulslike games.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this game due to game pass on the one x.

Having fun. This is better than I expected in terms of gameplay. Not impressed with story or lore. Highly connected regions twist and turn back on each other. Fun mechanics that are much better than they should be. These folks could really do something amazing with a big budget. They have it where it counts.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Finally got round to starting this via Gamepass. Just spent about 40 mins trying to get to grips with the blocking/parrying by training against an early scrub enemy. Hold LB and push the right stick left to block an attack coming from the left. Same deal to the right. Makes sense, and I can get those right like 90% of the time.

I can't however work out why I can never successfully block the high/low attacks. I seem to fail every single time, and I'm sure it isn't my timing.

Eventually I realise it's tied to your goddamn camera controls. When playing inverted, to block a high attack you have to push down, not up. I'm not sure if this is my fault for using the mod that shows arrows for incoming attacks (which are kinda misleading if you play inverted because they imply a stick direction), the game's fault for not teaching me well or some kind of divine punishment for playing inverted.

That's my story. Game is cool otherwise.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I think that there is an option to uncouple blocking motion from also being inverted.

I played the game on PlayStation 4 with inverted controls (the only correct method,) and blocking was done from the direction the attacks we coming from.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
bought this on a sale and loved it, bought the dlc and finished it in NG+, spent 32 hours with it in total.
fantastic game, love the combat system. targeting limbs is so satisfying in a soulslike. either to finish enemies faster or to farm gear, which motivaties for hours in itself. the art design is unique and still reminds me of bioforge.
I hope there will be a surge 3.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
bought this on a sale and loved it, bought the dlc and finished it in NG+, spent 32 hours with it in total.
fantastic game, love the combat system. targeting limbs is so satisfying in a soulslike. either to finish enemies faster or to farm gear, which motivaties for hours in itself. the art design is unique and still reminds me of bioforge.
I hope there will be a surge 3.
Bioforge! Now there's a game I haven't thought about in a while. Such fond memories.
I'll be picking this up eventually, as I enjoyed the first game enough and curiosity is getting the better of me. Just wanna finish off Prey first, as I don't want to have too many single player (not to mention sci-fi) games on the go at once.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Gave it a try on Gamepass and then bought the complete edition during the Steam sale. I really liked The Surge 1 and this is so far pretty damn amazing. I love being able to see the skyline of the city from most locations, a significant shift in design from the claustrophobic indoors of the first game.

Oct 26, 2017
Playing this for the first time right now, just got past the forest. I gotta say this is a huge improvement upon the first.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Is The Kraken DLC worth it? Premium edition is on sale now, cheaper than the base game was before, so I'm pretty tempted.

It's quite short, but the scenery is nice and so are the enemies. The last boss in particular was very fun to fight. I'd say it's worth it. I'm assuming you will also be getting the extra armors and weapons that came with the season pass? They are very cool as well, and include the all beautiful severed rotor blade.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It's quite short, but the scenery is nice and so are the enemies. The last boss in particular was very fun to fight. I'd say it's worth it. I'm assuming you will also be getting the extra armors and weapons that came with the season pass? They are very cool as well, and include the all beautiful severed rotor blade.
Thanks for the input! I pulled the trigger. Is the DLC area accessible seamlessly from the game world? I'm just wondering if there's any danger of accidentally wandering into it while under-levelled/prepared.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Thanks for the input! I pulled the trigger. Is the DLC area accessible seamlessly from the game world? I'm just wondering if there's any danger of accidentally wandering into it while under-levelled/prepared.

Yes and no. The DLC only happens after a plot development and involves returning to a previously revisted area where you'll find something that wasn't there.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was having a little bit of trouble with my timing during parry, but it feels so natural.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Those security guards at the blockade near the beginning were really intimidating for a while.
Now I have their full armour set and just squash them with the Reinforced Crusher.
The sense of progression and power loop is very much in-tact (and perhaps refined) since the first game. Enjoying it quite a bit!

I was having a little bit of trouble with my timing during parry, but it feels so natural.
Really liking how you can throw out a parry even just after you've connected with an attack.
As long as your timing is on point, it seems pretty easy-going about what point in your current animation you can interrupt with a parry.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Big oof. Got to the park area, started breezing my way through. Able to perfectly parry the statue bots.
Randomly stumbled into Captain Cervantes and got absolutely mullered.

Lost my bearings trying to get back to him and ran out of time. Lost about 20k EXP...
Gotta take my time and not lose my nerve even in these situations. But killing all those dudes again...the enemy placement is a bit bleh.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just started it, and I'm struggling to see how it's better than the first one... it seems like it has literally all the same flaws. If anything it might be even jankier, as I ran into repeated weird bugs already.

Plus, my GTX 1070 should be able to run this perfectly but the performance is shit even on lower settings. Can't keep a steady 60fps (let alone 72 or more), constant stuttering, what the hell? The game doesn't even look particularly good...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just started it, and I'm struggling to see how it's better than the first one... it seems like it has literally all the same flaws. If anything it might be even jankier, as I ran into repeated weird bugs already.

Plus, my GTX 1070 should be able to run this perfectly but the performance is shit even on lower settings. Can't keep a steady 60fps (let alone 72 or more), constant stuttering, what the hell? The game doesn't even look particularly good...

I never ran into any bugs nor performance issues in the game. I think the combat is legit one of the best in the genre and the level design is pretty good with lots of hidden stuff to find, many paths to open up and so on. The only part that I think is not great are the boss fights.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I never ran into any bugs nor performance issues in the game. I think the combat is legit one of the best in the genre and the level design is pretty good with lots of hidden stuff to find, many paths to open up and so on. The only part that I think is not great are the boss fights.
Were you playing on PC? What's your rig? Mine runs Doom Eternal (I know it's super optimized, but still) and Sekiro pretty much flawlessly, so clearly something is off.

One bug I had that really pissed me off was when, after killing an enemy on a narrow ledge, the ragdolls (?) started to glitch my own character's animations (??), my character started jittering weirdly and fell off, and the fall damage killed me. I struggle to explain it, but I'm pretty sure that enemy ragdolls shouldn't push off the player, especially since that "push" animation was clearly completely buggy.

Another glitch I've had, repeatedly, is how after getting my "bloodstain" back, the "HP restored" message appears... like a full minute later? I was so confused the first time it happened, because I was at half HP and the game told me my HP had been restored and I didn't know why. It happened several more times, until it dawned on me that it's the bloodstain retrieval message, but just super laggy.

I also feel like there's either input lag or unresponsive controls at times. Take the dodge for example, its animation is fast and the distance is long, but it feels oddly delayed from the button press. I dunno, something about it is... off

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Were you playing on PC? What's your rig? Mine runs Doom Eternal (I know it's super optimized, but still) and Sekiro pretty much flawlessly, so clearly something is off.

One bug I had that really pissed me off was when, after killing an enemy on a narrow ledge, the ragdolls (?) started to glitch my own character's animations (??), my character started jittering weirdly and fell off, and the fall damage killed me. I struggle to explain it, but I'm pretty sure that enemy ragdolls shouldn't push off the player, especially since that "push" animation was clearly completely buggy.

Another glitch I've had, repeatedly, is how after getting my "bloodstain" back, the "HP restored" message appears... like a full minute later? I was so confused the first time it happened, because I was at half HP and the game told me my HP had been restored and I didn't know why. It happened several more times, until it dawned on me that it's the bloodstain retrieval message, but just super laggy.

I also feel like there's either input lag or unresponsive controls at times. Take the dodge for example, its animation is fast and the distance is long, but it feels oddly delayed from the button press. I dunno, something about it is... off

Uh... It was awhile ago but I think I had my 2060 at the time.

But yeah, I never encountered bugs like those and the game felt really responsive.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Played it on a 1080 Ti at the time, no performance issues either and the combat always felt responsive to me. Had a great time overall.