• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
5yiEGMI.jpg

Developer : Deck 13
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
Release: September 24
, 2019
Platforms: PS4.XBOX & PC
Price
: US$49.99 | CA$66.99 | €49.99 | £44.99 | AU$74.95 | NZ$89.95
Features : X enhanced, PS4 Pro Support. HDR

Official Site: http://thesurge-game.com

Preorder Bonuses:
- DLC "the URBN gear pack"
- Theme for the PlayStation®4 system's home screen

urbn-pack.png
ps4-static-theme.png

Limited Edition

ps4.png
cover.png

- The Surge 2
- Lenticular exclusive cover
- Exclusive 8-page comic book
- Double poster with artwork and game map (size 35 x 43 cm)
- 3 exclusive lithographs (size. 11,5 x 16 cm)

PC Spec requirements
    • RECOMMENDED:
      • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
      • Processor: AMD FX-8370 (4.0 GHz) / Intel Core i7-3820 (3.6 GHz)
      • Memory: 16 GB RAM
      • Graphics: 6 GB, AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
      • DirectX: Version 11
      • Storage: 20 GB available space
      • Additional Notes: Requires a graphics card compatible with Vulkan, requires Internet connection for online features
    • MINIMUM:
      • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
      • Processor: AMD FX-8320 (3.5 GHz) / Intel i5-4690K (3.5 GHz)
      • Memory: 8 GB RAM
      • Graphics: 2 GB, AMD Radeon R9 280 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
      • DirectX: Version 11
      • Storage: 20 GB available space
      • Additional Notes: Requires a graphics card compatible with Vulkan, requires Internet connection for online features.
Download Size: Approx 9GB

Trailers

Screenshots

id-1.jpg

The-Surge-2.png

id-3.jpg

Character Creator
corporate-middle-manager.jpg

New Environment
id-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT!

The first game wasn't perfect, but it was doing some interesting things. I'm really curious about this one and hope it's largely an improvement from the first game.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I won't be able to play it this week, but eager to read people's impressions :)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! 6 more hours! (at least for the PC version)

I think I'll load up the first game real quick before I start to remember what weapon and armor I used. Might go for a similar build if possible.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this one. The original Surge was one of the better soul like games with a twist.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cool, I liked the first one alot, never did play the DLC for the Wild West stuff, but hey I hope the improvements make this a better game

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Will be released in five hours in my region (Sweden). Is it possible to unlock the game now in some other region?

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Shoot me some questions to answer when the embargo lifts. I've done up through a good chunk of New Game Plus and can stream that sometime today/tomorrow pending PR approval. (got another game I need to focus on in the meantime)

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Got nothing to play until October so jumping into this Day-1 even though I only lasted to the second boss in the first one :P

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, cutting off enemy parts for specific loot sounds hype as fuck. I always dig mechanics like these. Hope it reviews well.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I captured some high bitrate footage of it on the Xbox X. I ran it in performance mode because the inconsistent frames in resolution mode was a bit much. Performance mode ran a lot better and the combat is night and day improved from the previous games combat system. Been really enjoying all the improvements to the game as well, it's not just the combat system that was made better than last time.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Ergh, I can't wait. One of those games I'm pumped for right after I wake up. I know it's gonna be good, looks like a lot of care was put into it.

was rome built in a day?

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I didnt have an intention to pick up the first Surge, but then I got it with PS+ and I ended up loving it and beat the game. They better not bring back that one song that plays at every single Ops though...that was the one thing I couldnt stand.

Clownio

Oct 29, 2017
Been playing for a few hours, still in the first zone of the game (I tend to play this type of games slowly and methodic). There are several QoL improvements in place, like the new "sets" for implants (basically, passive buffs or skills) which are now interchangeables on the fly. This could be very useful - in the first game, I spent a lot of time changing some buffs depending on what was needed. As for the directional defense/parry, still don't know the proper timing to use it, buy I haven't found it necessary.

One think that I like is that the controls feel super tight, even when playing in what I assume is the worst version of the game (vanilla Xbox One). I played the first one in a PS4 Pro, 60fps-ish. Now I'm at 30 fps and there are clear technical problems, like some texture loading in characters/objects. But the controls are working as they should, specially when fighting enemies that require fast reactions like the side jump.

I didnt have an intention to pick up the first Surge, but then I got it with PS+ and I ended up loving it and beat the game. They better not bring back that one song that plays at every single Ops though...that was the one thing I couldnt stand.

You could turn that off :)

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let's go baby! Loved the first game. Can't wait for gamestop to fuck up my limited edition order lol

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Wait you mean the song that played in the medial rooms? That was great! It was very mellow and relaxing.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My review - among many, hopefully - will be live later today; went into the game with a positive attitude. I was slightly disappointed by the original game, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't some interesting ideas in place. Curious to read/view/hear others' thoughts when embargo lifts.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I will be able to talk about it in half an hour and I'll have some playthrough of the intro area of the game up too

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I captured some high bitrate footage of it on the Xbox X. I ran it in performance mode because the inconsistent frames in resolution mode was a bit much. Performance mode ran a lot better and the combat is night and day improved from the previous games combat system. Been really enjoying all the improvements to the game as well, it's not just the combat system that was made better than last time.

Holy hell at that screen tearing. This might be one of the games Karak was talking about. Oh no.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Freedom!

So my initial impressions are that it does very much look and feel like the original game, but even with limited play you can see some of the new features showing up.
Each enemy bodypart has it's own healthbar, so in order to go for a specific item or upgrade from an enemy you do have to deal damage specifically to the area that you want (no more comboing the weak spot and going for an instant cut on the part you want)

You are able to hotswap all implants now and a few more little bits and pieces have shown up from Darksouls too, you can leave messages for people and a hologram of yourself (the longer it is not found, the bigger a payout you get) you can do a backstab and a drop attack now too.

I've been playing mostly on Xbox One X, but a little on PS4 Pro, patches went live for both versions today, but the Xbox version does seem to have an issue with it's HDR, it's a bit greyer than it should be. Performance mode is definitely the way to do, although you do take a noticeable hit in resolution.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Freedom!

So my initial impressions are that it does very much look and feel like the original game, but even with limited play you can see some of the new features showing up.
Each enemy bodypart has it's own healthbar, so in order to go for a specific item or upgrade from an enemy you do have to deal damage specifically to the area that you want (no more comboing the weak spot and going for an instant cut on the part you want)

You are able to hotswap all implants now and a few more little bits and pieces have shown up from Darksouls too, you can leave messages for people and a hologram of yourself (the longer it is not found, the bigger a payout you get) you can do a backstab and a drop attack now too.

I've been playing mostly on Xbox One X, but a little on PS4 Pro, patches went live for both versions today, but the Xbox version does seem to have an issue with it's HDR, it's a bit greyer than it should be.

Wait so is the embargo up or no?

Good to hear about combat improvements.

Despite the file size being smaller than the first, is the game clearly bigger?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Wait so is the embargo up or no?

Good to hear about combat improvements.

Non-review and streaming embargo is up.
Reviews will start to show up in another 5 hours
I can't comment on the world size, as I'm not far enough through the game. Weirdly the game is 1.5GB smaller on Xbox.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed The Surge, but I can't recall a single damn thing about the story/world.

Anyone know how essential that'll be to being able to follow what's going on in this one at all?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed The Surge, but I can't recall a single damn thing about the story/world.

Anyone know how essential that'll be to being able to follow what's going on in this one at all?

From what the dev's said in their Reddit AMA earlier. You can understand the story without playing the original but you do get more out of it if you did. Which is pretty standard for stuff like this.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Holy hell at that screen tearing. This might be one of the games Karak was talking about. Oh no.

It definitely drops frames on the Xbox Version (moreso in Quality mode), but fortunately, I have freesync, so I haven't actually felt any when playing in Performance

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It definitely drops frames on the Xbox Version (moreso in Quality mode), but fortunately, I have freesync, so I haven't actually felt any when playing in Performance

I don't have freesync so this might suck. That tearing looked horrible in the video. The first game ran like a dream for me on Pro and X.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

It's set in the same world, The story which is basically "The Surge" happened and everything went to shit. The Surge being some kind of electrical thing that fried all the computers and people's brains.

The Surge 2 is set in the aftermath of this and rather than follow a character's story, you now create a character and basically get shuffled around by NPCs who are presenting the story.
You aren't fighting Zombie Robots this time, you are killing gangmembers, cultists and drug addicts and likely some robots later on.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
World is bigger and also feels larger from your characters standpoint. A good number of larger overworld areas allow you to look back on traversed locations. Does a good job making it feel connected which Surge 1 at times did not.

Much of this is done due to some of the changes they made to enemy encounters, namely many times with a large number of multi enemy battles.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't have freesync so this might suck. That tearing looked horrible in the video. The first game ran like a dream for me on Pro and X.

It seemed fine to me on the Pro when I played an hour or so there earlier.
It maybe one of those things that is easy to see as an onlooker, but when you are actually playing it isn't something you focus on. Or maybe it's not as bad on Pro at this moment in time.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
World is bigger and also feels larger. A good number of larger overworld areas allow you to look back on traversed area. Does a good job making it feel connected which Surge 1 at times did not.

Much of this is done due to some of the changes they made to enemy encounters, namely many times with a large number of multi enemy battles.
Are there different areas within the city like the forest area or are there also areas outside the city?

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

I can boil it down for you quickly.

The world is going to shit environmentally which will doom humanity to extinction and a mega-corporation proposes a solution... solution ends up not working very well because it's too slow... meanwhile another solution was secretly created to speed up the process using nanomachines and AI... nanomachine AI experiments go rogue and starts infecting anything and everything and cause general chaos everywhere.

Enter the Surge 2.

There was an alternate ending but Surge 2 assumes that the nanomachines get dispersed all over the world.