• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Really liking the new thread. Glad to see the discussion is still alive. I'm not ashamed that I've passed on games to play because of their icon with so much out there now.

Garf107

Oct 27, 2017
So this is our new home, huh? I like it, nice work Kyuuji! :)

I must confess I like the old Battle Princess Madelyn icon better though... It had more personality.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Considering a "missed opportunity" section for ones that have a better version on the eShop – thoughts?
I've also got proper promo blocks/links for Showdown & Listing/Rankings on the list too.

Absolutely phenomenal work on the new thread. Keep spreading that gospel!
0505bd7cf187d5852d39388f81a933e1.gif

Man, my home menu is still cursed by some not-so-good icons. Sonic Mania, Color Zen, Skyrim and Jackbox Party Pack 3 are the worst of the bunch, but i'm also not a fan of Undertale/Deltarune or Octopath going with the white text on a black background.
It just sucks that most of those have better icons lying around that just aren't used.
Feel you on all of them.

edit: Accidental early post 😪

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Voez deserves to be in the hall of shame, which really sucks as the game is amazing and will never leave my Switch.
Will add it on the next update, good shout.

Upcoming game Crypt of the Serpent King has an amazing icon.

2297.png
Dis-gus-ting
Beautiful thread, Kyuuji!
Keep fighting the good fight! Just a quick heads-up!
I'm sorry, I can't unsee that small slip.
Thank you! I've gone back and added an extra paragraph to that section – editing that part in the process. Appreciate the heads up.
Great new thread! Still sad to see that Octopath Traveler still has it's pure black Square Enix-like icon, but at least it's only one blemish on my system. Hoping for more changes in the future because the section about the ones that changed really helped me see what those games were about post their icon change, or at least gave me a better idea.
I'm glad you find it useful, and agree on OT. I swear I'd have given it more of a chance if it had the artwork on the icon lol.
Here are the icons of last week

projectnimbuscompleteqskeg.jpg
darkwood0qkqx.jpg
rockofages2biggerbouli4jdy.jpg
octogeddonfckp5.jpg
sniperelitev2remaster8zj21.jpg

redoutlightspeedediticpjpp.jpg
lighttracers7jxw.jpg
thiefsimulatorafk9g.jpg
39daystomarsy4jhw.jpg
yourtoya6k7m.jpg

castlevaniaanniversar5kknq.jpg
arcadearchivesbutasan1qkce.jpg
guiltygearxxcoreplusr8xkqn.jpg
guiltygearhvky9.jpg
hanayakanariwagaichizxnk24.jpg

akane2rjkq.jpg
undeadhordeiwkue.jpg
deviousdungeon2xsjy3.jpg
koralt3kaj.jpg

- No logo

bladesoftimeutkzl.jpg
superlifeofpixelt5kls.jpg
pocketleaguestoryzxkbe.jpg
evildefendersf0k32.jpg
chickenriderpnjrw.jpg

Blades of Time
Super Life of Pixel
Pocket League Story
Evil Defenders
Chicken Rider

I'll try to post them every friday since today.
giphy.gif

^perfect for threadmarks! Kyuuji XD
giphy.gif

Wow.

Absolutely fantastic work, Kyuuji

This will be one of my most visited threads on ResetEra!
tenor.gif

Appreciate it mate

So this is our new home, huh? I like it, nice work Kyuuji! :)
I must confess I like the old Battle Princess Madelyn icon better though... It had more personality.
I'm glad you like it! Still need to put the curtains up and a few bits of furniture missing but we're getting there!
I think the character pose on BPM is better on the old icon, shame there's not a landscape behind it!

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect thread.

But Final Fantasy icons (and Octopath) shouldn't get a pass :(

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i love it, super well done. i think the border works really well.

I think the border keeps it from perfection. Also wished they called it Legacy Collection instead of Anniversary...Anniversary makes it feel dated for some reason.

Also shocked that the internet can get SEGA\Hollywood to change CGI sonic but not the thumbnail art for a video game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I think the border keeps it from perfection. Also wished they called it Legacy Collection instead of Anniversary...Anniversary makes it feel dated for some reason.

Also shocked that the internet can get SEGA\Hollywood to change CGI sonic but not the thumbnail art for a video game.
Legacy implies age more than Anniversary though. An anniversary can happen whenever. Legacy calls on a long history.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Legacy implies age more than Anniversary though. An anniversary can happen whenever. Legacy calls on a long history.

Legacy implies it's timeless and has a history like you said, which applies to these games. Anniversary implies a brief reoccurring event and says nothing to the history of these games. I realize Im being overly picky about a games title.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Excellent job on the rebooted thread, friend.
donals9jkxv.gif

Perfect thread.
But Final Fantasy icons (and Octopath) shouldn't get a pass :(
Thank you! You're right, FF ones are an uphill battle though. OT has more of a chance of a slot in the Hall.
This thread will be iconic in every meaning of the word
sds6hjum.png

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I still see the old Snake Pass icon in my nightmares. I wake up in a cold sweat, boot up my Switch, scroll over to the new icon and lovingly caress the screen.

However, the nightmare that is the RE4 icon is still very real.

It's like they went out of their way to make the most unpleasant icon, with the burn-in effect where the title was going to appear.

I have more of an itch to replay REmake anyways. Icon there is lovely, with the title and the iconic mansion foyer.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I still see the old Snake Pass icon in my nightmares. I wake up in a cold sweat, boot up my Switch, scroll over to the new icon and lovingly caress the screen.

However, the nightmare that is the RE4 icon is still very real.

It's like they went out of their way to make the most unpleasant icon, with the burn-in effect where the title was going to appear.

I have more of an itch to replay REmake anyways. Icon there is lovely, with the title and the iconic mansion foyer.
It really is terrifying. RE4, as you say, is an immediate concern. It really is garbage. Thankfully the price makes it easier to avoid, and having just got Wasteland 2 I've vowed not to buy another bad icon again. RE0 for me if any of them - only one I haven't played since the GC.

Speaking of terrifying and awful..
Just coming through to bless the new home with a classic...

JiTFwNY_d.jpg

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Awesome OP
I'm definitely willing to base purchase decisions on the quality of an icon
That's why I'm not buying RE4, or hellblade, or Sonic mania, or plenty of other games

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Castlevania Anniversary Collection's icon is so lovely (as was the case for the Arcade Classic too).

castlevaniaswitch.jpg
I dislike how it uses Igarashi's crappy Castlevania logo (that was only introduced in 2002 with the shithouse Harmony of Dissonance) for a collection of games that used the classic ₵astleVania logo.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I dislike how it uses Igarashi's crappy Castlevania logo (that was only introduced in 2002 with the shithouse Harmony of Dissonance) for a collection of games that used the classic ₵astleVania logo.

Eh, I guess it isn't surprising that it is the logo that has been used mostly since Lament of Innocence (HoD and AoS had a different logo). The old one is fine, but I think the this logo is nicer to look at honestly.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh, lawd, it's beautiful, Kyuuji. OG irrationally picky about Switch icons brigade reporting.

My home screen is still shamed by the sins of Hellblade, Skyrim and Downwell, where lovely replacement PNGs exist in arm's reach. Why do these icons forsake us?

And don't get me started on the ACA Neo Geo series.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The Rebirth games used the original logo. Igarashi, in one of his many poor movies, also tried to make his logo apply to the Japanese games renaming them 'Castlevania' but after a backlash it was changed back.

Of course the real logo is:
710701_front.jpg

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It really is terrifying. RE4, as you say, is an immediate concern. It really is garbage. Thankfully the price makes it easier to avoid, and having just got Wasteland 2 I've vowed not to buy another bad icon again. RE0 for me if any of them - only one I haven't played since the GC.
and RE0 actually has new content over its original version!

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thank you for keeping this topic alive!
Same to you!
I have Desert Rangers on my wishlist.
Let it stay there, the icon makes me actively regret things.
Great new thread! Well done!
Thanks Lucas, appreciate it.
Awesome OP
I'm definitely willing to base purchase decisions on the quality of an icon
That's why I'm not buying RE4, or hellblade, or Sonic mania, or plenty of other games
In the same position, though I have Mania which might be why I focused on it in particular. By all accounts it's an attractive icon, just not a very good one. RE4 is confusing as well, considering the ones for 0 and REmake. Someone had to actively have removed the logo for it, which is bizarre.
Oh, lawd, it's beautiful, Kyuuji. OG irrationally picky about Switch icons brigade reporting.

My home screen is still shamed by the sins of Hellblade, Skyrim and Downwell, where lovely replacement PNGs exist in arm's reach. Why do these icons forsake us?

And don't get me started on the ACA Neo Geo series.
I take it the Hellblade icon will be forever ugly?
Best thread on era btw.

wodsksjzx.gif

I just want to say that this is perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing OP I've ever seen. It's beautiful.
Hey, really appreciate you saying that. Wish we could use CSS! Actually botched the PSD a bit and was a little anxious to see responses as had to manually downsize and sharpen a number of the images. So it's a relief to see comments like this!
Of course, it's not all doom and gloom. We have some cracking icons coming up.

2208.png
2282.png
2291.png
I really hope the performance on AC3R holds up for handheld. That icon is great and it would be a great title to have.

Already have the MM2 preorder down, waiting for Fire Emblem to get Marvel UA3.

All great icons as you say 😍

and RE0 actually has new content over its original version!
I didn't know this, I'll have to go read the threads! Thanks for the info.
Gunlord X icon:

2239.png

Really looking forward to this one.

As a couple of others have said it's a shame the text gets lost in the image a bit. Game looks great though and that's a pretty kickass dragon.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Started a page on Regional Differences because I thought it might be of interest.

If you know any more, give us a shout.

Obviously the same icon with translated text doesn't count, the design has to be entirely different.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
This should be on the hall of shame...

gLJWits.png

Specially since it seems that the EU version have a much better icon...

hVhkebh.jpg

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Nah, the EU version is the same as the US version. The large image you posted there is just the website image.

In so many cases, the website has an entirely different icon to what displays on the Switch, and more often than not it's better.

For example, Hellblade would be fine if they stuck with the icon that they already made for the website, rather than making a shitty second one for the Switch menu.

Mcl86vU.png

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Extra little thing on my website:

7ecCvWz.png

If your computer date is the same as the date I last uploaded some icons, there will be a "New" icon on the Last 50 Uploads button. Nice and easy to spot if something has gone up.

And yes, it was totally inspired by Kyuuji using that logo in the OP. ;)