• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Yeah, it's a bit of crafty PHP code. :)

Let's me do shit like this now:

AztAObv.png
Your work on the site is amazing. At the risk of sounding thankless, is it possible to add a sorting function to your site by developer/publisher? I would to notice trends among devs.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Your work on the site is amazing. At the risk of sounding thankless, is it possible to add a sorting function to your site by developer/publisher? I would to notice trends among devs.

It's possible, but those are entries I never included in the database from the beginning, so.. I'll add it to the list. (I'd stick to publisher because ultimately it's their fault and the ones you need to get in touch with)

I'm also thinking of adding a binary field to the database, 0 for if an icon doesn't have a title/logo, 1 if it does. Then pages could be generated based on that too.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Is this actually a determining factor for some people when they're considering a purchase?
Yes, but the severity of it varies. If someone is torn between two titles equally and one has a shitty icon like the above, it's easy to make a decision to get the other title.
I'll straight up admit I'm not buying games with bad icons anymore. Bought Wasteland 2 and it's icon is awful - just ugly on the screen and "Desert Rangers" as the text.

As a result I've continued to not buy RE4 because of the icon. I've got 0 and REmake no problem. There's too many good games to need to buy ones with minimal-to-no consideration for their icon and initial presentation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, it's a bit of crafty PHP code. :)

Let's me do shit like this now:

cLSJNse.png
I was going to post another apology for the delays on account of a poor past week, but honestly with the new features and work you've been putting in I'm almost glad I didn't as would have needed to rework it again. Those are some really neat additions, great work.

Thankfully all good now and clear tomorrow so I'll look to get everything in nicely at the top for you Robin. What were the exact links you wanted up there? I think listing, showdown and the generator but was there anything else?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I've been tempted to rename Wasteland 2 to "Desert Rangers" in my database a few times. Fun fact: For a long while, and nobody noticed, Mega Man Legacy Collection was called "Mega Man Legacy Collection Revelations", as a nod to this.

Kyuuji The main thing really is that people know you can search for games here. The full entire 2000+ listing page might be a bit much, and I need to rework that somehow... Maybe link to the 2019 page, update it to the 2020 page in 2020, and so on.

Sure, you can link the generator too! I have more to add to it (here's a hint and here's another) but it will always be that same URL. Also, doing this reminds me, add more themes Nintendo, you cowards.

Also I'm going to be adding a proper "deep search" page where you can say "Show me games from [year] with [no title] published by [publisher]". But that's a next week job for me.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I've added the ability to note publisher and title/logo missing on my icon database, but it's going to take aaaages to go through it all. As such, if anyone would be willing to help, let me know. I've set up something that will make it easy, just not quick to get through all 2000+ icons.

Last edited:

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I've added the ability to note publisher and title/logo missing on my icon database, but it's going to take aaaages to go through it all. As such, if anyone would be willing to help, let me know. I've set up something that will make it easy, just not quick to get through all 2000+ icons.
can't the php html dom parser achieve that info or isn't in the page source code?
2000+ really seems to be lot of work.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
You people are quite ungrateful, relax already. The world isn't gonna end because of an icon you don't see as appealing (it honestly looks fine, simple and straightforward)

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I buy games based on their logo if they are ugly or below average in looks it's a swipe to the left sorry devs.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
it's so frustrating to get equally strong migraines from the "lol you are entitled something somethings" posts and the "my wallet opens based on what your icon looks like" posts lol

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
I love the Super Mario maker 2 icon. Its so clean and i instantly want to play it.
It looks a bit like a game Cover with the head line on the top

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
Really nice icon for Slay the Spire. I cannot attach it, I'm on the phone, but it's the same you can find in the PC eShop.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Icons of the week

slaythespirektjx2.jpg
timespinnercpki0.jpg
warlocks2godslayers8zj3g.jpg
huecokf0.jpg
refunct74jx2.jpg

phantomdoctrine5ukog.jpg
submergedzzkq9.jpg
sheandthelightbearerumkd1.jpg
superskelemaniaxmkxl.jpg
picoparkg0k46.jpg

arcadearchivessolomonrlj39.jpg
legendofthetetrarchsx7j82.jpg
redsiren5qk6j.jpg
tinyderbyeiknz.jpg
soccerpinballpxjkc.jpg

fatcity4mkvg.jpg
dynabomb2ekug.jpg
bulletbattleevolution6kk1c.jpg
artifactadventuregaidtqjlf.jpg
carmayhem5vk4e.jpg

neonjunctionsoykpa.jpg
summersportsgamesbojro.jpg
wordwheelbypowgib1k1o.jpg

- Japan
keotoshitreasurehuntemmj2e.jpg
dearmymagicalboysq0jlz.jpg

- No Logo
perchang2rjpc.jpg
thesaviorsganglsjwg.jpg
thesushispinnery8hk05.jpg

Perchang
The Savior's Gang
The Sushi Spinnery

Jan 25, 2018
London
ok
Yeah the RE4 logo is truly awful. I don't know why Capcom think that that image is good, considering that it's the same that is used on other consoles and is also the pre-completion title screen image. At least for the title screen it's 2 button presses before it's gone but it's just a bad image now permanently on my Switch home. Ugh.
Oh that's much better! Now if only Activision would do likewise with the N. Sane Trilogy icon 😕

Jan 25, 2018
London
Guys, please help. I need some advice!

Okay, so I have $46 on my NA account and I headed over to the eShop fully intending to pre-purchase Cadence of Hyrule, but having seen the amazing eShop sale, now I just can't make up my mind. These are the games I'm torn between (with their current price). What should I do?

Cadence of Hyrule – 24.99
Collection of Mana – 39.99
Dragon Ball FighterZ – 41.99
Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition – 17.99
Forgotton Anne – 9.99
Hyrule Warriors – 40.19
*Unravel Two – 9.99
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – 29.99
World of Final Fantasy – 19.99

So, what would you do?

* Unravel's icon would normally rule it out, but ten bucks is a bargain.

May 29, 2018
Guys, please help. I need some advice!

Okay, so I have $46 on my NA account and I headed over to the eShop fully intending to pre-purchase Cadence of Hyrule, but having seen the amazing eShop sale, now I just can't make up my mind. These are the games I'm torn between (with their current price). What should I do?

Cadence of Hyrule – 24.99
Collection of Mana – 39.99
Dragon Ball FighterZ – 41.99
Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition – 17.99
Forgotton Anne – 9.99
Hyrule Warriors – 40.19
*Unravel Two – 9.99
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – 29.99
World of Final Fantasy – 19.99

So, what would you do?

* Unravel's icon would normally rule it out, but ten bucks is a bargain.
I am at a hotel currently with terrible WiFi and nothing to do - wanting to cry looking at these sale prices.