• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Can the Switch still get its own Monster Hunter game?

• Yes, Capcom won't leave that Switch money on the table

Votes: 354 33.1%
  • No, high-end home consoles are the future of Monster Hunter, not portables

Votes: 483 45.1%
  • Enough Monster Hunter, where is Ace Attorney?

Votes: 234 21.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Wii released in November 2006 and got its own Monster Hunter game in Monster Hunter Tri less than three years later on August 1, 2009, in Japan.
monster-hunter-3-tri-cover.cover_large.jpg

The 3DS released in February 2011 and got its own Monster Hunter game in Monster Hunter 4 ~2.5 years later on September 14, 2013 in Japan.
monsterhunter4ultimatejpg-7f7681.jpg

The Wii U never got its own Monster Hunter for obvious reasons, though it did get a port of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Comparatively, the Switch has waited longer than any previous Nintendo platform that could be considered a success despite selling much faster than the 3DS and selling on par or better than the Wii time-aligned in many regions. Would Capcom still release a Switch Monster Hunter title at this point, or are they focused on next-gen?
EQrJ4i7U8AAHw0u

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I had hopes but at this point I'm too sure to be honest. Judging from Capcom's Fiscal year targets, it doesn't look like there will be one anytime soon if it exists.

And make things worse, Ace Attorney is dead and buried.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Nintendo "look record breaking sales on nsw!!! Best selling console in Japan!!!"

Capcom *Turns head the other way

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Seems like no to me. Apparently, there are rumors according to some people, but after World was so successful I don't think they'll return to Switch.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After Monster Hunter World became Capcom's best selling game of all time? No, high end home consoles and Windows are the way it's going to go.

Oct 26, 2017
Does Capcom have enough interested devs to make a Monster Hunter spinoff while most of their devs work on Resident Evil and Monster Hunter World 2? Not sure.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Nintendo "look record breaking sales on nsw!!! Best selling console in Japan!!!"

Capcom *Turns head the other way

They turned their head the other way and MHW became the most succesfull game of Capcom history and the highest selling third party game made by a Japanese developers.

They should've turned their head around years ago.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I believe The Switch should get a Monster Hunter game but I'm glad the days of Monster Hunter exclusivity are over and that everyone can enjoy it on the platform of their choice.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
They turned their head the other way and MHW became the most succesfull game of Capcom history and the highest selling third party game made by a Japanese developers.

They should've turned their head around years ago.
You know what's better than being their best selling third party game ever? Selling higher than their best third party ever ;)

Edit: I mean multiplat not exclusive lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I legit entered this thread to write

Enough Monster Hunter, where is Ace Attorney?
high-five.gif

What about mhgu? The monster hunter game that's on the switch?

? Switch has a Monster Hunter game.
That is a 3DS Monster Hunter game (in Japan) ported to Switch. I'm talking about the Switch getting its own bespoke entry developed for Switch hardware in mind.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I would be incredibly surprised if Capcom didn't even put a B team on a Switch Monster Hunter. There's a lot of money to be made there.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No because Capcom doesn't understand that two different versions of a game series can exist at the same time.

Oct 26, 2017
I would be incredibly surprised if Capcom didn't even put a B team on a Switch Monster Hunter. There's a lot of money to be made there.
I'd be more surprised if they did. When even late old ports are releasing more expensive, not exactly of the best quality, and split, I don't see why you'd expect something like that

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
I still dream about MHW on the Switch. It seemed impossible at first but Doom and The Witcher 3 run well on the console, so why wouldn't MHW?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MH world did too well for that unfortunately. Any resources making a switch original would be better spent making a sequel to that for next gen platforms instead.

Best you could hope for is them finding a porting studio and being willing to pay them for a late World port.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'd be more surprised if they did. When even late old ports are releasing more expensive, not exactly of the best quality, and split, I don't see why you'd expect something like that
Part of the reason these ports are so expensive is because they're the first time they're available on handhelds, or straight up available for the first time on a Nintendo console like DMC.

MH sold gangbusters on 3Ds. Their focus will definitely be a World 2 for other platforms, but it's not like the Nintendo audience for MH disappeared.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Now that MH is doing extremely well on PS4, Xbox One and PC, can't say if the Switch will ever get an exclusive MH game or a port of MH World. Think Capcom probably think MH is more valuable on higher end consoles now.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Part of the reason these ports are so expensive is because they're the first time they're available on handhelds, or straight up available for the first time on a Nintendo console like DMC.

MH sold gangbusters on 3Ds. Their focus will definitely be a World 2 for other platforms, but it's not like the Nintendo audience for MH disappeared.

I mean, looking at the sales for World, I think they probably have. Or at least switched over to other platforms. I don't think the Nintendo-only audience is relevant for the franchise anymore unfortunately

Oct 26, 2017

The same held true for many of their original release on Xbox but they didn't make them more expensive there. Not that that's a good excuse anyways. If anything, that just makes them come off as greedy

Oh of course it didn't but Capcom's support for the Switch has given no indication that they plan to bring over anything major and I don't see that changing. That and making a Switch-only Monster Hunter isn't exactly as cheap as making a Wii / 3DS / PSP-only Monster Hunter

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so, no. Capcom is gonna focus on next-gen platforms from now on, most probably. MH: World has sold 3 times as much as the second best-selling MH game, so they're obviously gonna focus on continuing on the pathway World opened to them.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've given up on portable MH, had my fun and don't really care anymore. Most of the MH fans on Nintendo platforms probably bought a ps4 and World anyways, and they'll definitely want to continue down that path.

I want Ace Attorney back tho :(

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom decided it wanted to go for a strategy of "pick the high-powered hardware to try to crack the western market." They don't seem to plan to include Nintendo in their business strategies in general at this time beyond just porting over whatever back-catalog content runs on the switch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yes, given the audience on Switch another Monster Hunter Stories will be good.
Hope you like mobile gachas and know Japanese because I think Capcom's got just the thing for you :P
www.gematsu.com

Monster Hunter Riders announced for iOS, Android

Capcom has announced Monster Hunter Riders, a new Monster Hunter RPG coming to iOS and Android this winter in Japan as a free-to-play title with item-based micro-transactions. Pre-registration is a…

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so.

Capcom is just not big on the Switch. They've decided to focus on PS4/XB1/PC this gen.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
There mh port for switch is awesome. I could see Capcom making a brand new one for the switch though.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I could imagine a Switch MH title to be in the works, but the question is whether they would still keep it exclusive to the platform after the success of World.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel like the poll misses the obvious option, that the Switch might not get 'it's own MH game', but might still get a multiplat/port somehow. The future of the series mainline games isn't on a single successful portable platform anymore compared to the security of going multiplat, with regular games/spin-offs etc. Like RE, they'll look to have MH on everything from home consoles to phones, PC to cinema etc etc.

Still, a Switch version of something from the IP would be a relatively good bet compared to pretty much everything else Capcom makes bar the mainline, vastly-expensive-to-develop multiplat RE and MHW games. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a team working on something to fill a gap in the release schedule between now and the inevitable MHW sequel.