-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Naturally, people want new games on a new platform. Those who already own a Wii U want to play new games on their Nintendo Switch. That's perfectly understandable. However, Nintendo's decision to port Wii U games over to the Switch is a fair and smart decision.

First and foremost, they are producing new games. If Nintendo were only porting old games in lieu of making original games for the platform, then I'd be more inclined to agree with the dissent. We already know new Kirby, Yoshi, Pokemon and Metroid games are on the way. Though definitely not a killer app, a new Mario Tennis game was announced today too. I'm sure we'll hear about even more brand new Switch titles in the coming months and at E3.

Secondly, people have to remember many of the current and prospective Switch owners have never owned a Wii U. All of these ports are essentially brand new games for them, thus adding even more value to the platform. And even if you owned a Wii U, chances are you don't have every single major release. I'm sure there are people who never got the chance to check out Hyrule Warriors or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Plus, these ports are "definitive" editions, which include all post release content, DLC and perhaps a few additional features as well.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's an easy way to fill gaps, and they're adding new content to all of them. It's a win in my book.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Most never played a Wii U game, this time they have a chance

If they dont take that chance, then to hell with them

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I owned a WiiU and didn't play a lot of them, Switch now has more owners than the WiiU as well so people who never played well have a chance to play them on a not dead platform

Habimaru

Oct 29, 2017
It's good whenever we also have all-new a-list releases.

Which doesn't seem to be the case save for b-list games (as much as I love Kirby, it will always be a minor game. Same deal for Mario Tennis)

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Yeah, Wii U owners taking it personally need to see the bigger picture here.

Congratulations, you supported Nintendo during their lowest point in 20 years. You played a lot of awesome games no one else got to play.

The good stuff is coming. Nintendo isn't gonna derail this train.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
They should announce TMS and Xeno X and everybody will be pretty happy. But yeah, it's a good thing that they're giving us Wii U games with more content.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No... you think people won't just spend less money on a Wii U instead if they want those games?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from a buisness standpoint, it's fine. People say that it's disappointing for people who already owned a Wii U...but the thing is, no one fucking did, lol.

I wonder what Nintendo would do with Mario 3D World. Would hate to see it sink with the Wii U ship, but Switch already has Odyssey and there's certain stages that would have to be redesigned considering they were built around the Gamepad. Still, it has an extremely different approach and direction from Odyssey and it would work as a game to bring to parties and such.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with it, only because I didn't buy a Wii U.

That said, it's still pretty lame, especially when there's nothing new (and big) that's announced right now.

They'll run out of Wii U games soon and that will be the true test for them. They have to prove they can output enough software to support the system then.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nah man, this is really a good thing at all... It's a great thing! :D

I'm very happy that more people get to experience fantastic games like Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, and Mario Kart 8. Also, honestly... I owned a Wii U, but I can't say I cared much for the platform, or played many games on it. I'd love the chance to play some of the games I missed out on (like W101, or XCX) if they come to Switch, and still others I'd love to replay on the go. So yeah, I'm all for this, myself.

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
As I own all the WiiU games I had any interest in, it doesn't provide any benefits. Also, it irks me that there will now only a couple of years later be better versions out there.

Not a big issue by any definition, but this trend makes me absolutely certain that there's no point to buying games you don't intend to play straight away.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
So this is like early PS4/Xbone days with the avalanche of remasters we had.

I'm fine as I didn't have a Wii U, but we meed news things.

Daknight

Oct 28, 2017
Port are indeed good. I think they are using the first half of the year to release this port since is usually the slowest time. It gives them release at least once a month on really great games that like you mention many switch owners never got (since they weren't wii U owner most likely). It does suck a bit for people like me who did have a wii U and played most of this. I believe Hyrule Warriors will do great with Zelda being so hot right now (and the game is actually great).

The ports they have done have actually done great (Pokken and Mario Kart 8) so I am sure this will too, not so sure on DKC thought (is a great game, just not sure of its potential). But they clearly pushing DK (with Mario + Rabbid DLC and this port...so maybe they have something new from him).

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
I bet we don't get a new Mario Kart on Switch as a result. No reason to spend a whole new budget just to cannibalize sales of an existing release.

Also let me transfer my fucking saves. I don't want to replay all of Hyrule Warriors to try the new stuff and it's even worse for Zelda double dippers.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I agree and I'm glad it's happening. I was just hoping for a little more. Plus I just want to know when smash bros is coming.

Oct 25, 2017
It's good, the same way remasters are good.

Got lots of bitching a few years ago though. "no more remasters! Make new games!"

Anyone remember that?

That is a lot of ports though....

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Most never played a Wii U game, this time they have a chance

If they dont take that chance, then to hell with them

Yeah, this is me. Never played a wiiu or even seen one in person outside of a store that sells them, but there are some games on it that interest me. If some of those get Switch releases then that's a good thing.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's always good to port games from older consoles/handhelds to the new consoles/handhelds to bring them to new audiences or those that want to play them again. There's no downside since those that don't want them don't have to buy them.

Nintendo put out some very high quality games for the Wii U and it would be foolish of them to waste the effort of their top-tier development teams by not porting the games forward.

Pikmin 3 alone was the result of years of prototyping and production. There's no way it will be left on the Wii U. I'd fully expect Mario Maker and Super Mario 3D World to get ported as well, maybe in 2018. And of course Smash 4 - thought at this point I suspect Smash 4 will be turned into a majorly enhanced edition with combined content from both versions and new characters.

The big difference between this and padding line-ups with "HD remasters" is that the Wii U failed and not a lot of people ever got to play these games.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The big games are still coming. It takes time to make a Breath of the Wild or a Mario Odyssey. We already know that, barring something like the world coming to an end, we'll see games like Fire Emblem Switch, Metroid Prime 4, Yoshi, and a number of unannounced games.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Naturally, people want new games on a new platform. Those who already own a Wii U want to play new games on their Nintendo Switch. That's perfectly understandable. However, Nintendo's decision to port Wii U games over to the Switch is a fair and smart decision.

First and foremost, they are producing new games. If Nintendo were only porting old games in lieu of making original games for the platform, then I'd be more inclined to agree with the dissent. We already know new Kirby, Yoshi, Pokemon and Metroid games are on the way. Though definitely not a killer app, a new Mario Tennis game was announced today too. I'm sure we'll hear about even more brand new Switch titles in the coming months and at E3.

Secondly, people have to remember many of the current and prospective Switch owners have never owned a Wii U. All of these ports are essentially brand new games for them, thus adding even more value to the platform. And even if you owned a Wii U, chances are you don't have every single major release. I'm sure there are people who never got the chance to check out Hyrule Warriors or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Plus, these ports are "definitive" editions, which include all post release content, DLC and perhaps a few additional features as well.

This is just a really long way to say:

"I know we're not getting anything but WiiU and PS3 games, but don't worry, they're definitely probably [maybe] gonna blow us away with what we actually want later this year [hopefully]"

All of these ports are essentially brand new games for them, thus adding even more value to the platform.

Yeah, except, they aren't, and it kinda doesn't.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I still want to see Mario Maker and Captain Toad, but they both need new content, Captain Toad 2 would be better though.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm okay with it, only because I didn't buy a Wii U.

That said, it's still pretty lame, especially when there's nothing new (and big) that's announced right now.

They'll run out of Wii U games soon and that will be the true test for them. They have to prove they can output enough software to support the system then.
I mean... we don't have release dates for all of them, but Yoshi, Kirby, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem, SMT V, Pokemon... Those aren't big, new games to be excited for? I'm sure there's more they haven't revealed just yet, either.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
People seem to have the mentality you're missing out on new games because of ports. You're not. Ports rarely take away any significant resources from original titles, and are either handled externally or by smaller internal teams.

If you owned the games on Wii U, you don't have to buy them again. Or just wait until the price is low enough for you to double dip (which admittedly for Nintendo may take awhile).

As far as this Direct not offering a lot of new content, well that's why it was marketed as a Mini and immediately released. Maybe you got swept away in hype, I don't know. But they're clearly holding onto the big guns for later.