• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Nobody wanted the game to be a pseudo-reboot in a world with no connection to the previous games, have a ugly redesigned Eggman who looks overly realistic, include a relationship between Sonic and a human that completely undermines the point of Amy, or have a painfully stupid time travel plot. SA2's story found the perfect balance between serious and silly, but 06 took it way too far.
Question: What IS Sonic Adventure 3? I see fans ask for it all the time, but frankly I don't know what it is. What would an appropriate Sonic Adventure 3 be to you? Does it have to be called Sonic Adventure 3 to fit that criteria?

I'm genuinely curious. I mean like, Nintendo make (at least) three different brands of Mario games now: 2D side-scrollers, 3D-linear, and 3D-open. To some people, Mario Odyssey is Mario 64 3, as per the gameplay similarities and escalation between 64, Sunshine, and then Odyssey. Nintendo essentially consider it as such:

lEnjqJ2.jpg

If a similar graph was made for Sonic, I would lump the two categories of 3D Sonic as such:

3D Adventure:

Sonic Adventure 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic '06

3D Boost:

Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Forces

The only outlier is Sonic Heroes, as it is very different from the Adventure games that preceded it in gameplay and tone; I guess Heroes and Shadow could be lumped together as a weird, tonally inconsistent phase in Sonic's weird life, haha.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody wanted the game to be a pseudo-reboot in a world with no connection to the previous games, have a ugly redesigned Eggman who looks overly realistic, include a relationship between Sonic and a human that completely undermines the point of Amy, or have a painfully stupid time travel plot. SA2's story found the perfect balance between serious and silly, but 06 took it way too far.

I would say SA2 was already the start of the trainwreck. SA1 is still the best of the bunch, if only because its the only one that it feels like it's a continuation of the Mega Drive/CD games.

Anyways, I'm not expecting anything other than movie/Team Racing stuff.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Sonic Mania 2 with only or mostly new zones and playable Amy and possibly a new character

Sonic Adventure remake or sequel. I actually think a remake would make a lot of sense given how big remakes have been recently (SOTC, RE2)

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Usually, they tease a new announcement if they have one. Like, Lost World teased artwork and the Sonic twitter account was constantly alluding to them "getting it right this time" before Mania was announced. Since there's been none of that, I expect another Team Sonic Racing trailer and a Sonic movie trailer but nothing else.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
  • Sonic Mania 2
  • Sonic Adventure 3
  • Unnanounced Sonic that doesn't suck
  • Sonic Team Racing being delayed for a massive overhaul
  • Sonic Adventure 1/2/Colors on Switch
  • Sonic Boom, Lost World, Black Knight, 06 never seeing the light of day ever again.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The big announcements will probably be saved for Sega FES on March 30th.
Question: What IS Sonic Adventure 3? I see fans ask for it all the time, but frankly I don't know what it is. What would an appropriate Sonic Adventure 3 be to you? Does it have to be called Sonic Adventure 3 to fit that criteria?

I'm genuinely curious. I mean like, Nintendo make (at least) three different brands of Mario games now: 2D side-scrollers, 3D-linear, and 3D-open. To some people, Mario Odyssey is Mario 64 3, as per the gameplay similarities and escalation between 64, Sunshine, and then Odyssey. Nintendo essentially consider it as such:

If a similar graph was made for Sonic, I would lump the two categories of 3D Sonic as such:

3D Adventure:

Sonic Adventure 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic '06

3D Boost:

Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Forces

The only outlier is Sonic Heroes, as it is very different from the Adventure games that preceded it in gameplay and tone; I guess Heroes and Shadow could be lumped together as a weird, tonally inconsistent phase in Sonic's weird life, haha.
Sonic '06 and Sonic Unleashed both follow the SA1 formula:
Overworld where you roam freely and talk to people -> Action stage -> repeat. So those games can be considered "Sonic Adventure 3" IMO.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I think the main problem with Sonic for the last 20 years is that Sega can't commit to one style of play and constantly tries intrusive gimmicks to freshen the series up.

But then Forces threw a big wrench into that hypothesis by being a crappy Boost game after the gems that were Colors and Generations so who knows anymore.

Nah. Forces is 100% a result of them not wanting to commit to one thing. Like the original pitch of the game was the custom character, but then some higher ups wanted them to turn it into Generations 2, so the end result was this mashup of several different games aimed at different audiences, all of which felt half-baked and shallow

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't think another "Sonic Adventure" is necessary, really. Sonic '06, to me, is SA3 in all but name (and Chao Gardens!) because it was a similar escalation of scope and story as SA1 and SA2 were. You could make the same arguments about SA2 compared to SA1, really.

"Nobody wanted a game set in a world where the government are corrupt killers, a melodramatic Sonic recolor seeks violent revenge because his friend had a fictional variant of AIDS, and Eggman points a gun at Amy Rose's head."

See what I mean? Each game escalated its story and scope from one another. I truly don't see how Sonic '06 is any different from SA1-SA2 aside from name, and its horribly glitchy and broken gameplay.

It's different because people didn't like it. Obviously the escalation was too much. SA2 was stupid and had dark elements but it was done in a way that made many fans still fondly remember it, so you don't hear arguments like that about its story.

As for what Adventure 3 should be... easy. Call it SA3. Go back to the tone of SA1 and 2. Include multiple playable characters again, but make them all equally fun to play. Put the Chao Garden back in. It's not that tough to figure out what people want from it.

I would say SA2 was already the start of the trainwreck. SA1 is still the best of the bunch, if only because its the only one that it feels like it's a continuation of the Mega Drive/CD games.

I think SA1 is a better game than SA2 overall but I love the story of the sequel way more. Nothing in the first game can match Sonic escaping government capture by leaping out of a helicopter, ripping off a piece of the wing, and using it to snowboard down the streets of San Francisco... and that's just the first 5 minutes.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about the Sonic movie. But really if I could choose I'd take a Sonic & Ray sequel to Mania. I'm replaying Mania with Ray now and he's a revelation.

Every other Sonic character can fly or glide, but Ray is the first one to make it work with the momentum-based gameplay, and the first one that's actually fun. Even in the classics, Tails always felt like cheating and Knuckles' glide goes at a fixed speed so it was never that fun to me. Ray is the best Sonic friend

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Every other Sonic character can fly or glide, but Ray is the first one to make it work with the momentum-based gameplay, and the first one that's actually fun. Even in the classics, Tails always felt like cheating and Knuckles' glide goes at a fixed speed so it was never that fun to me. Ray is the best Sonic friend
The longer Knuckles was gliding the faster he'd go, but there weren't too many opportunities to experience that. I agree 100% about Ray though he's the most fun.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
All I want is Sonic Colors finally announced for Steam after that leak, and Sonic 06 on BC.

And maybe the trailer for the movie I guess

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
It's different because people didn't like it. Obviously the escalation was too much. SA2 was stupid and had dark elements but it was done in a way that made many fans still fondly remember it, so you don't hear arguments like that about its story.
With the exception of Chao Garden and actually being a good game, I really do find it tough, tbh. Sonic '06 even winks at the fact that it is directly inspired by the Adventure games with its inclusion of the Chao in Space poster:

Sonic Adventure 3 is really past its time at this point, I think it's time to move on. Sonic Unleashed and Generations were pretty logical departures from the Adventure formula and I don't think we really need to go back. They can implement gameplay and concepts from the games, but I highly doubt many people out there really would care about a game titled "Sonic Adventure 3" aside from die hard Sonic fans... myself included I guess, haha.

If they were to make another Adventure-style game, I really wouldn't expect something noticeably different than Sonic '06 structurally. Multiple characters with their own stories and level routes that eventually link together to create a larger story and world. Plus Chao Garden!

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
I think SA1 is a better game than SA2 overall but I love the story of the sequel way more. Nothing in the first game can match Sonic escaping government capture by leaping out of a helicopter, ripping off a piece of the wing, and using it to snowboard down the streets of San Francisco... and that's just the first 5 minutes.

Me. Though I'm more team SA2 overall.

They really need to bring back Nishiyama or Maekawa as lead writers again, those two actually understood how to write a fun 3D Sonic story.

Sonic Adventure 3 is really past its time at this point, I think it's time to move on. Sonic Unleashed and Generations were pretty logical departures from the Adventure formula and I don't think we really need to go back.

I don't understand this argument in particular. Why move on instead of polishing & evolving the formula further? Should Mario Odyssey not have went back to the 64/Sunshine category of open-styled 3D Mario that many have wanted to return?

We could apply that logic towards Forces being Generations 2 (despite being closer to Colors tbh), except in this case I'd argue that they've creatively tapped out with the boost trilogy after Generations shipped and that it needs a break.

With the Adventure series (especially SA1), to a lot of fans they were the closest towards applying the 2D Classics into 3D regardless of technical limitations around the physics and such while trying to tackle with multiple playable characters. One of the reasons why I want it to return as an evolution is so that they can finally give a shit about implementing proper momentum-based physics while developing a solution to have multiple characters play like Sonic but with unique abilities to take advantage of across stages, at least that why you'd have people complaining less about alternate playstyles instead of Sega not taking feedback seriously and removing them entirely.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt I see somewhere that a new cartoon base on Sonic Mania in works?
Some toy fair account on Instagram said there'd be a new Sonic cartoon this year, person who pointed it out on Twitter said it's Mania Adventure season 2 but nothing in the post suggested that it's that. Also there was this:

So it looks like a new animated show is being made.

Oct 25, 2017
06 is an extension of the Dreamcast era which includes Sonic Heroes and Shadow.
These are not adventure games.

In anycase, Sonic 06 wasn't bad because it was adventure styled, it was bad because it was a rushed mess with the teams splitting up and major talent leaving early on.

But I think mostly people just want a game that's not boost but is still good...and has chao world.

To put things into perspective:
The Dreamcast era lasted 7 years
The boost era is already 10 years old.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your expectations are too high :P
:(

I would love they re-announce TSR in a new light with gameplay upfront. Sonic movie first trailer not sucking would be great as well. A new high budget 3D sonic game with fresh ideas would be nice too...

Yeah, I'm gonna be disappointed lol

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
The longer Knuckles was gliding the faster he'd go, but there weren't too many opportunities to experience that. I agree 100% about Ray though he's the most fun.

I getcha, but it's just not very satisfying since you always start at the same speed and when you land, you come to a stop and do a little pause

Oct 26, 2017
  • Sonic Mania 2
  • Sonic Adventure 3
  • Unnanounced Sonic that doesn't suck
  • Sonic Team Racing being delayed for a massive overhaul
  • Sonic Adventure 1/2/Colors on Switch
  • Sonic Boom, Lost World, Black Knight, 06 never seeing the light of day ever again.

I'm down with this, especially the bolded (can't imagine why... ;) )

One of my "dream" Sonic games is simply a Sega Ages Sonic Adventure and Sega Ages Sonic Adventure 2 for Switch, both based on their Dreamcast originals with as much QoL enhancements from the GC versions as possible, and for them to put both together in an awesome 2-pack at Switch retail.

I also want Sonic Unleashed HD and Sonic Generations HD on Switch. It's crazy these haven't been remastered yet. I even made boxes!

sonicunleashedswitchmnk4z.png
sonicgenerationsswitcgnjlc.png

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
I don't really mind how Tails & Knuckles abilities worked but I do think it's about time they got an upgrade.

Like, Sonic gets the Drop Dash ability + selection swap, but the other two are still the exact same lol.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One of my "dream" Sonic games is simply a Sega Ages Sonic Adventure and Sega Ages Sonic Adventure 2 for Switch, both based on their Dreamcast originals with as much QoL enhancements from the GC versions as possible, and for them to put both together in an awesome 2-pack at Switch retail.

I also want Sonic Unleashed HD and Sonic Generations HD on Switch. It's crazy these haven't been remastered yet. I even made boxes!

I imagine that Sega Ages versions of the Adventure games will happen if they get to Dreamcast games like they want to.

A Generations remaster could happen I guess, them doing an Unleashed remaster would be weird since aside from a very vocal minority I don't think people really want to see that game again.

Oct 27, 2017
I literally posted an hour long video last page detailing what separates the Adventure games from the Boost games. A new SA would be one more akin, gameplay wise, to the Adventure games and ideally using a similar art direction

The Adventure games were somewhat precursors to a number of Sega's later games. They were the first hints of what we'd see in JSRF, Monkey Ball and F-Zero in how they attempted to have high speed, physics based gameplay, and how in 2 they attempted to add in aerial combos that you could connect through grind rails and other surfaces. Sonic Team need to get the devs of those games to help them. They're all in Sega after all!

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
That was what forces classic sonic was supposed to be. He has the drop dash and the phantom ruby (or whatever it was called) in mania was what was being used by the villain in forces.

Theyy should let sonic team make adventure 3, just so we can see people's reactions when it turns out bad (keeping in the spirit of the adventure series).
No, I mean they actually put in hand draw mania levels with mania physics. Forces classic sonic was an abomination

Sonic Team isn't good. They need to let an outside studio remake Sa 1 and 2 and then make 3

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
06 is an extension of the Dreamcast era which includes Sonic Heroes and Shadow.
These are not adventure games.
True. I think this is the most accurate definition of Sonic 06's place in the franchise. Still though, I'd say it shares a bunch more in common with SA1 and 2 than Heroes or Shadow, but I digress.

In anycase, Sonic 06 wasn't bad because it was adventure styled, it was bad because it was a rushed mess with the teams splitting up and major talent leaving early on.
Most definitely. I'd say though, moving forward, the franchise should just focus on making things that work as opposed to trying to pander to a specific base. I mean, Forces was basically pandering to the Unleashed/Generations fans and wound up shitty because of it. You could tell that the developers did not have their hearts in it. As spotty as Unleashed was, you could really tell that the devs created something they were proud of. Half of that wound up being a really mediocre beat 'em up, but regardless you could see the effort and passion in the project. I'd say S06 suffered the same problem, it felt like a game they thought they had to make as opposed to one they wanted to.

We just need new devs who are given the freedom to make a product they want as opposed to making something they think people will want.

But I think mostly people just want a game that's not boost but is still good...and has chao world.
True, can't say no to that.

I just want Mania 2 at the end of the day, haha. I do not have faith in modern Sonic Team to make something spectacular, and I definitely don't think the solution to that problem is making a derivative pandering game titled Adventure 3.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally posted an hour long video last page detailing what separates the Adventure games from the Boost games. A new SA would be one more akin, gameplay wise, to the Adventure games and ideally using a similar art direction
To be fair, maybe you shouldn't expect people to watch an hour long video about Sonic Adventure being different to Boost Sonic.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
A new Sonic Adventure game could be good.

If it wasn't made by Sonic Team.

Then again, I guess that can be said about any kind of Sonic game...

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I imagine that Sega Ages versions of the Adventure games will happen if they get to Dreamcast games like they want to.

A Generations remaster could happen I guess, them doing an Unleashed remaster would be weird since aside from a very vocal minority I don't think people really want to see that game again.
At this point I don't think we're getting remasters of those games. The ultimate would be a Generations remaster with all the Daytime levels included as a bonus like that one mod!

To be fair, maybe you shouldn't expect people to watch an hour long video about Sonic Adventure being different to Boost Sonic.
To be fair, I probably will watch the video because I am a glutton for punishment.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Moving forward I would not be opposed to a lives system ala the Encore mode from Mania. Extra lives are pretty archaic these days, but I loved the challenge of trying to scavenge characters for the sake of survival. It was so much more fluid and fun than dying and restarting at a lamp post.

I can tell pretty easily what separates the Boost games from the Adventure games, but Sonic '06 is more of a blurred line since the gameplay and story are both directly inspired by its Adventure predecessors.

Sonic Heroes, Lost World, Shadow the Hedgehog, Black Knight, Secret Rings, Forces, and Unleashed are not good games at all.
I don't think Unleashed is thaaaaaaaaaaaaat bad. It's just weird and inconsistently. Can't recommend it to anybody who doesn't like something though, so I guess I stand corrected. :P

Last edited:

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017

Now this is certainly something i can get by.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure 3. Full stop. No more messing around.

And NO: Sonic Heroes/Sonic 06 does not count.
Look, I get the part where people don't find their Sonic Adventure 3 cravings fulfilled by '06, or Heroes, or Shadow, or Unleashed, or whatever. But I ask you, and other people with similar opinion, of something in return. Say more clearly what is it you want, and no, "Sonic Adventure 3" doesn't count. Do you literally want Sega to just occupy that title with something, like they did with slapping the name on Sonic 4? Or do you have specific issues with general structure of, say, '06 beyond it not having "Adventure" in the name? Or would you in fact be fine with '06 if not for its general lack of quality in most aspects? I don't know. All I know is that you want "Sonic Adventure 3" and it's supposed to be obvious what the hell is it, while Adventure 2 and Adventure 1 are as distant from each other as Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

Deleted member 26900

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Look, I get the part where people don't find their Sonic Adventure 3 cravings fulfilled by '06, or Heroes, or Shadow, or Unleashed, or whatever. But I ask you, and other people with similar opinion, of something in return. Say more clearly what is it you want, and no, "Sonic Adventure 3" doesn't count. Do you literally want Sega to just occupy that title with something, like they did with slapping the name on Sonic 4? Or do you have specific issues with general structure of, say, '06 beyond it not having "Adventure" in the name? Or would you in fact be fine with '06 if not for its general lack of quality in most aspects? I don't know. All I know is that you want "Sonic Adventure 3" and it's supposed to be obvious what the hell is it, while Adventure 2 and Adventure 1 are as distant from each other as Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

This is a fair request:

I've always felt the gameplay in Sonic Adventure 2 was the best of the 3D Sonic games. It felt fast, but you still have control over Sonic/Shadow through most of the levels. I want to be able to control Sonic again. The latter games (Generations and onward) have had a weird feeling when Sonic runs and I always felt he controlled like a car or a tank. In the Sonic Adventure series, he felt more like a person with a much faster run speed. So, in terms of gameplay, I want to see Adventure style mechanics that felt good in the hands. Even if the controls weren't the greatest or the camera system wasn't the best, I want them to improve upon that system in Sonic Adventure 3.

Bring back the level designs of Sonic Adventure 2 and expand on it. I loved the grinding in SA2 and would really like to see a better implementation. I also think that the grading system should revert back as well. Getting A's or S's at the end and then have another objective in the level. Getting A and S ranks should matter and should be hard to get. Originally trying to get all A's was challenging. I can get S's in the latest games without even trying. Oh and for god sakes: bring back the combo system.

In terms of story, I don't have any major requirements. Continue from where they left off in Forces. Or maybe try a new reboot. That one I'm not really sure how to fix. Sonic stories are usually over the top anyway.

The overworld I'm mixed on. I'd love it back, but I don't know if that really fits with Sonic. I think they way they did it in SA2 was better in the long run. I guess it would depend on implementation.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fair request:

I've always felt the gameplay in Sonic Adventure 2 was the best of the 3D Sonic games. It felt fast, but you still have control over Sonic/Shadow through most of the levels. I want to be able to control Sonic again. The latter games (Generations and onward) have had a weird feeling when Sonic runs and I always felt he controlled like a car or a tank. In the Sonic Adventure series, he felt more like a person with a much faster run speed. So, in terms of gameplay, I want to see Adventure style mechanics that felt good in the hands. Even if the controls weren't the greatest or the camera system wasn't the best, I want them to improve upon that system in Sonic Adventure 3.

Bring back the level designs of Sonic Adventure 2 and expand on it. I loved the grinding in SA2 and would really like to see a better implementation. I also think that the grading system should revert back as well. Getting A's or S's at the end and then have another objective in the level. Getting A and S ranks should matter and should be hard to get. Originally trying to get all A's was challenging. I can get S's in the latest games without even trying. Oh and for god sakes: bring back the combo system.

In terms of story, I don't have any major requirements. Continue from where they left off in Forces. Or maybe try a new reboot. That one I'm not really sure how to fix. Sonic stories are usually over the top anyway.

The overworld I'm mixed on. I'd love it back, but I don't know if that really fits with Sonic. I think they way they did it in SA2 was better in the long run. I guess it would depend on implementation.
Yeah other than the camera, dare I say it the adventure games had a "Nintendo" level of control over the character. No lag, no slowness, no unwieldy feeling.

I need that back. Sonic unleashed and forward felt more like you're guiding sonic not controlling him. That said, nothing is wrong with those mechanics the game just shouldn't revolve around it. They make the levels unexplorable and 2 mins long.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah that's exactly it. He is an arial Sonic, the mechanics are so genius and fitting I'm kinda surprised it took the Tails and Knuckles mechanics to get there.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Want: Sonic Mania 2, Sonic Heroes HD, Sonic '06 on Xbox BC (damn right I'm serious). Hedgehog Engine remaster collection would also be super rad.

Expect: Sonic movie trailer, other crap.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018

first of all that box art looks amazing. Now I just want a Adventure bundle for Switch D:

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fair request:

Thanks for the detailed reply. This sounds significantly more interesting than what I expected. I'm a big "theoretical" fan of boost games' physics, but this seems to nail the issues with them which must have lead to level design being what it was.