• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
As with the last few years, SEGA is holding a Sonic panel at South by Southwest in Austin, Texas in less than 48 hours. This is the place where SEGA makes their annual Sonic announcements, including games, merchandise and future plans for the year, among other things.

Just a short summation of the past few years:

2017:
-Project Sonic 2017's true name was revealed to be Sonic Forces, first gameplay and screenshots were shown.
-Flying Battery was announced for Sonic Mania, as well as a delay from Spring to Summer.

2018:
-Sonic Mania Plus was announced for Summer of that year.
-A new Sonic Racing game was announced, later revealed to be Team Sonic Racing.
-Sonic Mania Adventures was announced.

With those things being known, what do you guys hope, expect, and/or want this time around?

As for me, what I want more than anything is absolutely Sonic Mania 2. Taxman and other Sonic Mania devs are now working at Evening Star studios full time. They have no games currently announced yet. I need it.

Games wise:
What I think is likely is Sonic Team's new game being ready for this year, in time with the movie. I don't think it'll be related to the movie at all, though. There will obviously be lots of Team Sonic Racing news as well. I think it's possible we also get more news on Sega Ages: Sonic 2, which apparently might be adding some sort of new content.

Non-game:
I think we'll get the first Sonic movie trailer either this Saturday at the panel or next Saturday, at the Kids Choice Awards. There's also apparently a new Sonic coming, this would be the place to announce that, I figure.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Colors HD.

I hoped that Colors and Generations wasn't a fluke, but Forces left me hollow

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Team Sonic Racing
Sonic Movie teaser
Sonic Team's next game

That's it

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
A Sonic game made by literally anyone besides Sonic Team.

Mania proved that it's absolutely possible for there to be fantastic Sonic games, the series just needs competent developers and Sonic Team have proved that they are anything but.

Oct 27, 2017
I want a new Sonic Adventure game. I saw a video comparing them to the Boost games and realized just what they did well and why it wasn't purely nostalgia.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Movie trailer
Sonic Racing trailer
New Sonic team game reveal

I wonder if we're going to see a return of the Olympic games for Tokyo(though I wouldn't expect an announcement here).

Oct 25, 2017
No sonic game this year would be a bit weird since racing was planned for last year.

Not sure if they'll do a mania type release.
Guessing it's mostly about the movie and maybe a teaser

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want a new Sonic Adventure game. I saw a video comparing them to the Boost games and realized just what they did well and why it wasn't purely nostalgia.

Technically we got it. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was designed as Sonic Adventure 3 iirc and Sonic Unleashed released in Japan under the name Sonic Adventure World.

Though I'd argue they did almost everything worse than the boost games personally. The controls have always been borderline unplayable in both adventure games as badly chosen cameras pull you to your death repeatedly.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sonic Mania 2.

It's all I want. I know some would rather have Sonic 5 with all new levels but I truly believe there is a lot more they can pull from the Mania idea. Not only are there a number of great Genesis stages to remix but I would like to see them pull from other 2D Sonic games.

How about pulling Sunset Park Zone from Triple Trouble and giving it a makeover in the Genesis style, along with a Mania-twist on the Act 3 train sequence and its incredible music?

What if they took Toxic Caves Zone from Sonic Spinball and turned that setting into a full 2-act Zone?

Hell, take a 3D level from Sonic Adventure and turn it into a Zone in the style of the Genesis games.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Curious to finally get a glimpse at the Sonic cartoon.

For Team Sonic Racing, interested in 2 things
1- Show off vehicle customization
2- Inclusion of an Easy drive mode ala Mario Kart 8 on Switch

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Predictions:
  • Official full design reveal for the Sonic movie, maybe a short early clip but no formal teaser or trailer
  • Team Sonic Racing recap of past information, story trailer
  • New Sonic cartoon starring Classic Sonic, animated with Flash in hand-drawn style
  • Sonic Colors remaster for modern platforms
Hopes:
  • Sonic Mania 2
  • That the leaked Sonic movie design is fake

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Something original from the Mania team, so no Mania 2 yet. Other than that, I expect despair and memes in regards to 3D Sonic.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the bare minimum I will take Sonic Generation Deluxe with new levels but I would rather have a new decent Sonic game as we hadn't had one since Generation. It would also be nice if I could play the Sonic Advance series on my Switch, they are good games and shouldn't be stuck on the GBA.

Isn't there a PC port?

No, it was an error from Sega Europe.

Oct 25, 2017
I see a couple of "Sonic Team's next game" hopes/predictions, but I thought that Sonic Team (or at least the structure we were all familiar with) was no more?

In any case, I think Team Sonic Racing news is a safe bet. I think we will see the movie there in some shape or form. I could have sworn I saw some rumors of a new TV show a while back, maybe we'll get some details of that.

My hearts yearns for a Mania 2, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sega Ages Knuckles Chaotix. I know it's a mediocre game, but I'd still like to see a reissue.

A fully new game by the Mania peeps

A sequel to the Sonic R soundtrack

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
- Sonic Movie to be previewed and be great looking or balls to the wall hilariously bad. No in-between

- Sonic 3 and Knuckles Taxman (LOL I know)

- Mania 2: minimal to no chance

- Sonic Adventure 1&2 ports that have had more than 15 seconds work on them

- Sonic Generations port, rock solid 1080p / 60 on the cheap

- Sonic Adventure 3

- Team Sonic Racing to look amazing

- Sonic CD, 1 and 2 Taxman collection on PS4 PSN

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I expect some more info on Team Sonic Racing, maybe an announcement for the upcoming animated series that was leaked a while ago, and the first trailer for the Sonic movie that becomes the internet's biggest laughingstock for the next week. The next two weeks if it actually has Gangsta's Paradise.

What I want to see? Sonic Adventure 3, baby!

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Things that will almost certainly happen:
Show off Team Sonic Racing
Trailer/info about the Sonic Movie

Things that could possibly happen:
Whatever terrible idea Sonic Team has next
Sonic Mania 2

Things that I want to happen but never will:
The glorious SA2 remake

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Expectations:
- Doubt we'll see much of the movie, if at all.

- Sonic Team's new game will probably be there.

- Team Sonic Racing details and beta announced.

- Sonic Generations Deluxe announced.

Hopes:

- Mania Plus did well, so there'll be an update with playable Amy.

- Sonic "Boost Trilogy" (Unleashed, Colors, Generations)

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Sonic the Fighters/Championship 2 from AM2.

As long as we're back in the midst of Sonic spin-offs being fair game, again, I might as well shoot my shot and hope AM2 can be put to work on SOME type of good fighting game, again.

Bonus points if it uses the Classic Sonic aesthetic again, or at least gives us an option for those characters that have Classic versions.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
All I'm hoping for is more 2D Sonic to a similar standard of Mania.
I'd like to see HD remakes of Sonic Adventure 1 & 2. If those came to Switch and we got a proper portable Chao Garden...

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If they have a plan for a Mania 2 I really, really hope it isn't mostly retreads of levels again. On the other hand at least it won't be yet another revival of Green Hill and Chemical Plant like all the other times.

Unlikely dream: mobile port of Segasonic arcade that uses swiping along the touchscreen to simulate the trackball controller and with wireless multiplayer

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Give me a proper Adventure 3. Redeem yourselves from Sonic 06 you cowards. It's time.

Although now that I think about it they need a proper boost game after that trash that is forces.

Fuck it Mania 2. Guaranteed good.

I suspect we will get a generations 2 but this time classic sonic is mania sonic in 2d. That would be cool I guess and allows them to bridge their two properties.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sonic Mania 2.

It's all I want. I know some would rather have Sonic 5 with all new levels but I truly believe there is a lot more they can pull from the Mania idea. Not only are there a number of great Genesis stages to remix but I would like to see them pull from other 2D Sonic games.

How about pulling Sunset Park Zone from Triple Trouble and giving it a makeover in the Genesis style, along with a Mania-twist on the Act 3 train sequence and its incredible music?

What if they took Toxic Caves Zone from Sonic Spinball and turned that setting into a full 2-act Zone?

Hell, take a 3D level from Sonic Adventure and turn it into a Zone in the style of the Genesis games.

I'd want a Mania 2 to be a smattering of obscure, deep cut stages alongside a greater number of new stages. I don't see a whole lot left to mine from the classic console games since most stages that weren't represented in Mania 1 still had their gimmicks crop up (lots of Marble Garden in Stardust Speedway for example).

Wishlist: Sky Base (Sonic 1 MS), Underground (S2 MS), Mecha Green Hill (Chaos), Sunset Park (Triple Trouble), Toxic Caves (Spinball), Newtrogic High (Chaotix, starting Act 1 in Isolated Island with the act transition being a playable World Entrance which launches you into Botanic Base for Act 2)
+6 original stages

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
What I want:
Sonic Mania 2
Sonic Heroes and Sonic Colors on Steam
Sonic Adventure Remake
Sonic 2 SEGA AGES shadow drop

What we'll get:
Team Sonic Racing
Some comic, movie, and cartoon news
Teaser for Sonic Team's next game
Memes

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Expectations:
- Doubt we'll see much of the movie, if at all.

- Sonic Team's new game will probably be there.

- Team Sonic Racing details and beta announced.

- Sonic Generations Deluxe announced.

Hopes:

- Mania Plus did well, so there'll be an update with playable Amy.

- Sonic "Boost Trilogy" (Unleashed, Colors, Generations)

What would a theoretical Sonic Generations Deluxe be? Just a modern console port?

For me, hoping to see a bit of the next major Sonic game. Hopefully it'll at least be intriguing.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Sonic 06 reimagined remastered.

It's Sonic 06's gameplay but improved with performance, graphics and the story is very redone to be more about Sonic, Silver and Shadow (less friends) rescuing the princess, but without an awkward furry romance along the way and a bit more intentionally corny with jokes and gags. Keep the realistic lanky aesthetic.

The feeling of homing attacks and level design when it isn't 100% terrible had some potential that made me revisit just the Sonic stages themselves. 4 of them are actually pretty satisfying and they're designed in the same vein as 2D Sonic stages, with risk vs reward of taking the high road and high speed vs low road, safer challenge.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Sonic 06 reimagined remastered.

It's Sonic 06's gameplay but improved with performance, graphics and the story is very redone to be more about Sonic, Silver and Shadow (less friends) rescuing the princess, but without an awkward furry romance along the way and a bit more intentionally corny with jokes and gags. Keep the realistic lanky aesthetic.

The feeling of homing attacks and level design when it isn't 100% terrible had some potential that made me revisit just the Sonic stages themselves. 4 of them are actually pretty satisfying and they're designed in the same vein as 2D Sonic stages, with risk vs reward of taking the high road and high speed vs low road, safer challenge.
Ehh, there is too much broken. The physics and stages of adventure 1 and 2 are actually worth revisiting. Sonic 06 has a bad homing attack, turn arc, momentum, spin dash, pretty much everything. Whereas the adventure games mainly need collision detection. 06 needs everything

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we see Sonic Team's next game and it's a return to form for either boost or adventure gameplay. And please no classic Sonic unless it's a new Whitehead game.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
This has to be where they show a trailer for the Movie, right? Put us out of our misery.

I'd love a new proper Sonic game too. They've announced mainline Sonic games in March before so it's not out of the question.

Mania 2 would be the dream but I'd rather them take their time on it, whoever's making it. Or a brand new classic style Sonic game that doesn't bring in old levels.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Ehh, there is too much broken. The physics and stages of adventure 1 and 2 are actually worth revisiting. Sonic 06 has a bad homing attack, turn arc, momentum, spin dash, pretty much everything. Whereas the adventure games mainly need collision detection. 06 needs everything
So er, I actually prefer the homing attack in 06. People never mention this but it was more reliable than in previous games. In prior games homing attacks only worked if Sonic was above the target, and targeting itself was not always intuitive. In 06 I feel like of all the things that isn't working right, Sonic usually reaches exactly what I expect him to be able to reach, and I really love the snappiness of the air-dash, and that little backflip he does when he hits a target. The only issue is how it doesn't target the ground to build up speed, but I also like using a routine of "Jump, then dash 90 degrees" for platforming.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They're gonna be selling those awful chilidog infused cocktails again aren't they?

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
So er, I actually prefer the homing attack in 06. People never mention this but it was more reliable than in previous games. In prior games homing attacks only worked if Sonic was above the target, and targeting itself was not always intuitive. In 06 I feel like of all the things that isn't working right, Sonic usually reaches exactly what I expect him to be able to reach, and I really love the snappiness of the air-dash, and that little backflip he does when he hits a target. The only issue is how it doesn't target the ground to build up speed, but I also like using a routine of "Jump, then dash 90 degrees" for platforming.
I prefer it that way, you should only be able to use homing attack when you have that advantageous position from above or neutral ground . As for being unreliable on tracking that's something that's much easier to fix.

And that backflip/slow move completely kills the flow of the game. The homing attack should be boom, boom, boom and press it again to regain your speed/momentum after killing everyone. Sonic Adventure 2 got this right. The normal jumps and base movement of that game is honestly perfection to me. Probably the only game that has the initial movement, jumping, and acceleration correct. Of course it falls apart at top speed. My suggestion to that would actually be they take the drift mechanic from the boost games and add it there. I would add a running drift and spin dash drift that you can cancel out of. And one should be a tight turn the other a wide one. That should theoretically take care of all kinds of turns and accelerations.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we'll be getting a Sonic Mania 2 for a while, a lot of folks from the Mania development team just started their new studio and are said to be making a new IP.

I think we might get an HD collection given not a single past 3D Sonic on current gen consoles, plus would probably make for an easy Switch port.

It's possible that we get a new Sonic game announced, but I'm not holding out much hope given they're working on the new Sakura Wars and I'm thinking with all the recent collabs, SEGA's really trying to launch a huge revival for the franchise.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Boost has run its course thanks to Sonic Forces being so terrible, so I'd like a return to Sonic Adventure 2's Sonic/Shadow gameplay expanded into its own full fledged game.