• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
What I want to happen:
  • AAA budget Sonic Adventure 3 Announced; playable Sonic, Tails, Knuckles with seperate interwoven campaigns, adventurous fun story that is just "epic" enough. Adventure Fields are open world physics playgrounds connecting the more linear, but open and exploratory 3D Action Stages.
What we will actually get:
  • More tired boost garbage stuffed full of wisps, 98% 2D sections, and corny Saturday morning cartoon reject dialogue.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I want to happen:
  • AAA budget Sonic Adventure 3 Announced; playable Sonic, Tails, Knuckles with seperate interwoven campaigns, adventurous fun story that is just "epic" enough.
What we will actually get:
  • More tired boost garbage stuffed full of wisps, 98% 2D sections, and corny Saturday morning cartoon reject dialogue.

Yeah I'm sick of the current trajectory of Sonic, which is funny since everything you and I want in a new Sonic Adventure 3 is what the fanbase spent a solid decade complaining about on the grounds of it ruining Sonic.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Realistic hope, Sonic Mania 2, dream both Sonic Mania 2 and something adventure related with Chao Garden.

Wost Case scenario, Sonic the Movie the Game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
And that backflip/slow move completely kills the flow of the game. The homing attack should be boom, boom, boom and press it again to regain your speed/momentum after killing everyone.
To me that has no impact. Just bouncing like you're skipping across rocks by the seashore feels too smooth to me, considering his homing attack physically sends him into a foe, causing it to get knocked down. 06's homing-attack platforming feels brilliant to me.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
To me that has no impact. Just bouncing like you're skipping across rocks by the seashore feels too smooth to me, considering his homing attack physically sends him into a foe, causing it to get knocked down. 06's homing-attack platforming feels brilliant to me.
Smooth is how the games should be. But i respect your opinion.

What do you think about the Sonic Infinity Engine homing attack and Sonic 06 fan remake homing attack?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sonic Heroes, Lost World, Shadow the Hedgehog, Black Knight, Secret Rings, Forces, and Unleashed are all not good games.
I agree. Heroes, Lost Word and Shadow are pretty mediocre, far from bad though. Unleashed is probably amongst the best Sonic games.

Black Knight I'd completely forgotten about, but that counts too.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I agree. Heroes, Lost Word and Shadow are pretty mediocre, far from bad though. Unleashed is probably amongst the best Sonic games.

Black Knight I'd completely forgotten about, but that counts too.

And that's where we disagree, I think all of those are bad games, straight up. Secret Rings, Shadow and Lost World are awful.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's where we disagree, I think all of those are bad games, straight up. Secret Rings, Shadow and Lost World are awful.

I think the main problem with Sonic for the last 20 years is that Sega can't commit to one style of play and constantly tries intrusive gimmicks to freshen the series up.

But then Forces threw a big wrench into that hypothesis by being a crappy Boost game after the gems that were Colors and Generations so who knows anymore.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Technically we got it. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was designed as Sonic Adventure 3 iirc and Sonic Unleashed released in Japan under the name Sonic Adventure World.

Though I'd argue they did almost everything worse than the boost games personally. The controls have always been borderline unplayable in both adventure games as badly chosen cameras pull you to your death repeatedly.

Well yeah it's technically worse, but the main difference, as the video makes clear, is the level of control and the fact it's physics based. I was tempted almost to compare it to Smash in how Melee provided a level of control the series hasn't seen since (although it wasn't really janky). I think the boost games have the benefit of the devs having more experience with 3D games in terms of cameras and control schemes, but I wouldn't flat out call them better

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
SEGA won't fund a AAA Sonic game by itself ever again. Maybe if they got another publisher to share development costs...

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I'd like the Mania team to do something a bit more original and less rehash. Sonic Advance 1 is honestly a good follow up to Sonic 3. Mania was a good Sonic 3.5

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wants:
-Sonic Mania 2
-Knuckles Chaotix+Sonic 3 & Knuckles remastered(Bonus: physical release together with Sonic 1,2 and CD remastered for modern platforms)

Prediction:
-New Team Sonic Racing trailer
-Trailer for the movie
-New nameless 3D game for 2020 announced via CGI teaser

Oct 25, 2017
Technically we got it. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was designed as Sonic Adventure 3 iirc and Sonic Unleashed released in Japan under the name Sonic Adventure World.

Though I'd argue they did almost everything worse than the boost games personally. The controls have always been borderline unplayable in both adventure games as badly chosen cameras pull you to your death repeatedly.
"We already got Adventure 3" is a pretty obnoxious/overplayed take.

As for doing things better, they are 10 years apart. Sonic made during the early days of 3D while trying to make something ambitious. The boost games remove camera controls instead of designing a good camera and they stick gameplay in 3 lanes without momentum based gameplay.
It's safe and played out

Oct 25, 2017
SEGA won't fund a AAA Sonic game by itself ever again. Maybe if they got another publisher to share development costs...
It's a bit of a weird situation.
Sonic keeps selling worse because the games are worse, so they keep cutting the budget making the games worse and making the games sell worse.

Sonic team need proper guidance, time, and budget. If they need ideas, look at what the fans have been trying with Utopia or those other momentum based demos.

I'm pretty sure mania sold really well and SEGa was proud of its reception. Hopefully that lights a fire under their arse

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Steam ports for sonic heroes

Shadow the hedgehog IP revived as a hardcore movement based old school single player FPS

Sonic at the 2020 wherever games.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Doubt it will ever happen but Mania 2. 3D Sonic is pretty much completely worthless at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Wants:
-Sonic Mania 2
-Knuckles Chaotix+Sonic 3 & Knuckles remastered(Bonus: physical release together with Sonic 1,2 and CD remastered for modern platforms)

Prediction:
-Trailer for the movie

With some meaningless blurbs about "Sonic returns to the essence of SPEED." or "Going back to Sonic's 3D ROOTS." But turns out it's just another boost game with some kind of random gameplay thrown in, or like Sonic Labyrinth 2.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Sonic 06 was a sloppy rush job of Sonic Adventure 3.

We want the Choa Garden enhances, actual fun gameplay, and multiple characters to choose from with fun gameplay.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Wants:
-Sonic Mania 2

Prediction:
-Trailer for the movie
If they announce a 3D game it's going to be for this year unless they delay it like TSR.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think the main problem with Sonic for the last 20 years is that Sega can't commit to one style of play and constantly tries intrusive gimmicks to freshen the series up.

But then Forces threw a big wrench into that hypothesis by being a crappy Boost game after the gems that were Colors and Generations so who knows anymore.
The game play engine of forces if not taken from generations

Its the gameplay of lost world reverse engineered into the boost formula.
That's why it's so off, which combined with bad design choices, level desighn, too much 2d, and the writing makes forces so bad.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
What I want to see

* Either a new 3D Sonic title or a Sonic Adventure 1 remake a-la Crash or Spyro

* Sonic Mania

What we're probably gonna get

* Sonic Racing game trailer

* Sonic movie teaser trailer

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Actually I'd like it if the inevitable (and announced) Switch Sega Ages Sonic 2 included a heavily expanded 2-player mode a la the android port, esp. since the Mega Play arcade version isn't as distinct from the home version as Sonic 1 was.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic cartoon looks good
Maybe the movie looks bog standard average bad and not full on vomit bad
Maybe some game annoucement

For them to show off the box of sonic assets ruby eclipse showed

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Hopes
Sonic Team announces they're taking a break from Sonic. Next set of games will be Chu Chu Rocket 2, Samba De Amigo VR, Ristar 2, Burning Rangers 2, etc.

Prediction
More Sonic Racing
Trailer for new show
Trailer for new movie
Vague teaser for new game "From the team behind Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations"

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can we get some A-S Class gameplay for Team Sonic Racing? All the promo's so far have been in the lower C-Class stuff (I... guess at least. I understand it's for convention reasons to keep it easy, possibly B-Class, Mario Kart 8 demos were at the level.)

But let's be real, 90% of races online will be held in the fastest speeds and that's when the game would shine the most, so let's get some gameplay of that please.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I want the Sonic movie to be announced it's cancelled.

And some more Team Sonic Racing gameplay/news.

Oh and if they're actually working on the new show, I'd like to see that too actually!

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Sonic Movie has been a long, elaborate troll. Nothing is out of the question in this post-Grinch era.

Also, a US team is remaking Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 together in Unreal Engine.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Want: Sonic Mania 2 and Sonic Adventure 3

What we'll get: More Team Sonic Racing footage, the movie trailer, and a sneak peak of the new cartoon

I'm not too hyped.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mania is much better than advanced 1 though

Disagree completely, Sonic Advance at least offers something new and exciting while celebrating Sonic mega drive history.

Mania just recycles old classic levels and only has a handful of new original stage, one of which is just flat out terrible and the other having a boring sky chase act. Mania also suffers from having that god awful pyuo pyou boss fight, it's slow, boring and not fun during repeat playthrough.

The only area that Maina trumps Advance in is having the better special stages.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah it's technically worse, but the main difference, as the video makes clear, is the level of control and the fact it's physics based. I was tempted almost to compare it to Smash in how Melee provided a level of control the series hasn't seen since (although it wasn't really janky). I think the boost games have the benefit of the devs having more experience with 3D games in terms of cameras and control schemes, but I wouldn't flat out call them better
Oh yeah the adventure games certainly aren't without merit at all. Personally I'd put the first higher on the list for having actual worlds between the levels. It lended a sense of legitimacy to the world they were trying for whereas 2 and its level select screen loses all of that. It's one of the thing I've always appreciated about Unleashed. I don't get why they keep dropping this one randomly as it doesn't actively hurts the game either.

I'll admit physical based controls did have some interesting ways you could break the levels. I'd just want to see those physics not be such an uphill battle for the player too at times.
"We already got Adventure 3" is a pretty obnoxious/overplayed take.

As for doing things better, they are 10 years apart. Sonic made during the early days of 3D while trying to make something ambitious. The boost games remove camera controls instead of designing a good camera and they stick gameplay in 3 lanes without momentum based gameplay.
It's safe and played out

I think you misunderstood the argument I was making. I'm not trying to say "oh we got it move on" but rather that Sonic Team for all intents and purpose, have tried to make the next Sonic Adventure title twice now and the results have been panned critically. By extension I'd say we landed on the boost system for the same reason. Sonic Team tried the traditional approach in 06. Their history would lead us to believe that it's either a bad idea on paper or they specifically can't make it work well. Sure it may not be SA to us by the end result but if it was their target then it gives us an idea of the challenge they're facing at least.

That doesn't mean I don't want Sonic Adventure 3 too. Especially if it's got a chao garden. But I don't see a way to use the traditional SA controls and make a game that isn't going to be a nightmare to control while retaining his speed even with. But I also don't mind boost controls so that may be a factor. I'd be totally fine with boost controls, an overworld with some side event stuff and a chao garden as an SA3 so I think it's just a matter that we have different opinions of what makes an SA game for us.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If they announce a 3D game it's going to be for this year unless they delay it like TSR.
Nah I think it'll be as early as 2020. I can't even imagine what they'll try to do next except something yanking at Sonic Adventure 1 nostalgia since they're so good at fucking 3D Sonic up.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
People were complaining that Forces was basically Generations 2, but at this point, I don't think anyone would mind if SEGA actually made Generations 2 as long as it's the same quality as the first