• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was just browsing the Funimation site for any recent news, and this popped up in the banner roll. Not sure if I'd missed the actual announcement, but ahhhhhh, I can't believe Tatami Galaxy's finally getting released over here.

Release date is September 3rd, doesn't look like it's up on Amazon yet.

thetatamigalaxy-thecompleteseries-bd_dvd_fundigital_subonly__1.jpg

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Very excited for this, one of my all time favorite anime. Box art is beautiful, too.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Neat. I'm interested to watch this for the first time.

But question: is banking on Yuasa's name a thing? Has he become another Miyazaki after Devilman and Walk on Girl? Or is this coincidental?

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Neat. I'm interested to watch this for the first time.

But question: is banking on Yuasa's name a thing? Has he become another Miyazaki after Devilman and Walk on Girl? Or is coincidental?

The comparison with Miyazaki is honestly a bit tired, mainly because it gets immediately trotted out whenever a director gains any kind of recognition in the west.

There are no other Miyazakis and Masaaki Yuasa honestly couldn't really be any more different from him if he tried. While Miyazaki is relatively well known in the west compared to other Anime directors in the west, there is a VERY small chance anyone outside of the most hardcore anime circles will recognize the Name Masaaki Yuasa. And even if he does get more recognition thanks to his relative mainstream success with Devilman Crybaby (which is still a niche show compared to actual mainstream anime like Dragon Ball, One Piece, My Hero Academia etc), his focus is so much more specialized, the type of movies and shows he makes so completely different from what Miyazaki generally works on that I feel like there is a near-zero chance of him ever getting a similiar fanbase in terms of demographics.

So, no, not another Miyazaki, just a director that, for the first time, managed to break out of an extremely specialized niche into a more general niche with a good chance that more anime fans in the west will recognize his name thanks to the success of Devilman and a studio that of course wants to capitalize on that.

Scavenger

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It includes 3 7-minute OVAs that were not included with the UK BD. Will have to double dip.

Picture quality won't be as good as the UK BD tho. Funimation is very hit or miss and Justin Sevakis did the compression/authoring of the UK BD.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
for the first time, managed to break out of an extremely specialized niche into a more general niche with a good chance that more anime fans in the west will recognize his name thanks to the success of Devilman and a studio that of course wants to capitalize on that.
Oh, so a big Miyazaki-esque boost? So unlike Miyazaki. It ain't Disney, but I assure you I know his name post Ping Pong and Devilman and (though I've yet to see it) Walk on Girl. Celebrate it! Dude is getting big recognition for his recent work. He's got the potential to make a big name for himself and a bigger mark on Eastern animation "canon" in the West.

And to be honest, Ghibli still produced Grave of the Fireflies. So Miyazaki's name is still attached to some dark fucking shit. Sorry it isn't super clean. It's not quite Barefoot Gen, but it's rough.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yea. Now all we need is Wandering Son.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a dub? I tried watching with subs and the pace of dialogue is so rapid fire it was almost unwatchable. I had a similar issue with parts of Walk on Girl, despite loving it.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
First Nichijou gets a dub and now this gets a physical release. Funimation is making my anime dreams of a decade ago finally come through.

Is there a dub? I tried watching with subs and the pace of dialogue is so rapid fire it was almost unwatchable. I had a similar issue with parts of Walk on Girl, despite loving it.

Yeah. I greatly prefer dubs to subs but this is the one series I've watched where I definitively feel sub-only detracts from the show. The dialog is delivered so quickly that I have to constantly read and imagery is just missed out on and I read subs faster than most people I know.

That said with how niche this was I understand why they didn't dub it.

OP
OP
Yasumi

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No dub unfortunately. I would not envy whoever would have to keep that kind of dialogue pace up for 11 episodes.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Watch this y'all, it's amazing. Then watch The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl.