• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I thought the first episode did a really good job of setting the tone of the season. I didn't even think it was slow either - I was engaged throughout and I even found it surprising how quickly they introduced the supernatural elements. The woman stabbing herself in the ear reminded me of a similar scene in Junji Ito's Uzumaki.
The only slow part I found was the romance section but everything else was on point for me. I swear I felt that stabbing in the ear scene felt so familiar but couldn't quite put my finger on it and I know now. Personally, the supernatural elements resonate more than the other because of how close some of the aspects are to my own religion it actually creeps me out even more. That woman slowly walking in the background shivers. I'm guessing the creature is drawn towards negative influences and acts as kind of a rebound . Given the setting of WW2 and Japanese concentration camps being the setting, it's going to absolutely thrive where it is.

That first scene shot was absolutely beautiful as well.

The actress who played the tea girl was fantastically unsettling. The whole way through that scene it weireded me out how lifeless her eyes looked.
My favourite scene. Knowing something isn't right and protagonist freaked out when she puts her hand over the candle thinking she was going to douse it out.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
His performance sadly felt almost amateur at times. Hopefully he improves
Looks like he's been in a number of episodes for different shows, but his only main role(s) previous to this are on Greek (10+ years ago) and a small four-episode series titled Spooked (Geek & Sundry, Hulu).

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching this last night. It was pretty good and I'm interested to see where it goes, though I do agree with others regarding the lead. Some of his scenes were pretty rough.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Hmpf. Not fully sold so far. My expectations were extremely high coming off the brilliant 1st season, and I was hoping for something more... nuanced, well-acted and thoughtful. The production values are still high, but comparatively it feels like a dull sledgehammer is used to hammer its points, using actors and characters I didn't manage caring for at all. The main actor looks like an overgrown baby with limited acting range, and he didn't sell it one bit. Also, the supernatural aspects, presented in the way it was done, feels like it's coming from a lesser B-tier Japanese horror movie (though I admit I don't have lots of experience of that genre/style).

Will continue watching due to its premise and for being competent enough despite my grievances, but I truly hope there's a jump in quality as soon as possible.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 is good because it walked a fine line of dread and drama.
Episode 2
I was afraid that this will focus more on drama and the horror aspect as a plot device.

The mystery and creepiness of obake is gone once they introduced her as a demon inside a human skin.
The kid seeing the obake was scary at first but once they show her face. Oh, It's just her.

I'll it give one more episode before bailing

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I enjoyed first episode, watched it today. Sure, wasn't anything major to make it stand out but it set up the story and characters well. Will keep watching

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
SollefteĂĄ, Sweden
I shut the episode off halfway through. There was no steam anywhere to be found here sadly.
The first season had a way more comeplling hook in its pilot, and this had nńothing of the sort.

THey should have gone with anyone of Dan Simmon's other books instead... imagine Song of Kali like a noir, or Carrion Comfort could do this exact thing thi season is doing but with some adjustment...

Last edited:

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Very disappointing. Season 1 was fantastic. Everything about this season pales in comparison. The writing is piss poor, and not helped by terribly wooden acting. I couldn't help but chortle as the grandson responded "You boxed a tuna?" in his flat tonality. Even the quality of the cinematography and shot design has eroded. Season 1 was elaborately blocked and uniquely composed. This is just shot / reverse shot with no regard for edits. Will watch a few more episodes, but am overall incredibly disappointed, especially considering how good the concept for the new season is.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Very disappointing. Season 1 was fantastic. Everything about this season pales in comparison. The writing is piss poor, and not helped by terribly wooden acting. I couldn't help but chortle as the grandson responded "You boxed a tuna?" in his flat tonality. Even the quality of the cinematography and shot design has eroded. Season 1 was elaborately blocked and uniquely composed. This is just shot / reverse shot with no regard for edits. Will watch a few more episodes, but am overall incredibly disappointed, especially considering how good the concept for the new season is.

Same here. I mean first season was really special and unique tv. This seems so generic..

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a bit early to write it off as generic or not as good as the first season.

S1 had the benefit of its location added significantly more to the overall feel of the show than S2 has so far, but that might change. I do agree that some of the acting isn't particularly great, but S1 was all star cast, so I'm willing to cut them a little slack with the wooden acting right now.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
They should've went with a different story, imo.I would've loved for the setting to be on a ship again.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit early to write it off as generic or not as good as the first season.

S1 had the benefit of its location added significantly more to the overall feel of the show than S2 has so far, but that might change. I do agree that some of the acting isn't particularly great, but S1 was all star cast, so I'm willing to cut them a little slack with the wooden acting right now.

Said the same to my SO, if it gets good it will take a few episodes. I'm hoping it gets going.

It's not really fair to compare the cast with the cast from episode 1.

And I think the location probably will change.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
I am seperating season 2 from 1 entirely. Hopefully the new show can last on its own merits.

The premiere annoyed me, average drama, the horror is contrived, political subtext off putting. Visually beautiful though I will give it a chance

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first season today... Other than the CG creature looking not so great that was excellent. Great atmosphere, storytelling, and cast. May be the first time horror has been done right on TV? Ash v Evil Dead was more comedic than horror, and Hannibal was more of a thriller so I think so.

I guess the biggest departures between the first season and episode 1 of season 2 is that the spooks so far have been lackluster, and also the acting isn't at the quality of the first season yet. The main actor... Ehhhh. And the whole new way vs the old way of life conflict is gonna wear on me if it continues all season. Hopefully that can change.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight!

A Sparrow in a Swallow's Nest

In 1941, Chester Nakayama is caught between his insular Japanese American neighborhood on Terminal Island and his current all-American life. Extreme circumstances push his community and personal life to the brink, all while someone watches closely.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spotted this on reddit (from ep 1):

Don't know if anyone posted this before or is it super obvious to everyone.

Starting from 19:50 to 20:16, there seems to be a woman dressed in kimono following Chester and Betty.

Totally missed it when I watched last week, but that was nice. Ep1 is still streaming on AMC's website if anyone wants to catch that scene again:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Finished the first season today... Other than the CG creature looking not so great that was excellent. Great atmosphere, storytelling, and cast. May be the first time horror has been done right on TV? Ash v Evil Dead was more comedic than horror, and Hannibal was more of a thriller so I think so.

I guess the biggest departures between the first season and episode 1 of season 2 is that the spooks so far have been lackluster, and also the acting isn't at the quality of the first season yet. The main actor... Ehhhh. And the whole new way vs the old way of life conflict is gonna wear on me if it continues all season. Hopefully that can change.

Eh? Horror's been done well plenty of times. Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Amazing Stories, Dark Shadows, Night Gallery, Are You Afraid of the Dark? Eerie, Indiana, X-Files, Riget (aka the Kingdom), etc.

For a newer show Penny Dreadful did it amazingly well to, up to the last half of the last season which felt rushed, but season 1, 2, and the first half of season 3 were some of the best writing/acting on a horror show.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's definitely nowhere close to the masterpiece that was season 1, but it's only been two episodes so hopefully it picks up a bit.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah so far it's been a very slow burn. I think they screwed up with the main lead. He's just not charismatic enough on-screen. We need more Takei screen time.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
This lead actor is so bad I think I might check out pretty soon. It's a very novel setting for a horror series but a slow burn only works if the characters and/or direction is compelling enough to get you through it

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The second episode was better paced than the first episode but the characters still haven't completely clicked yet.

Not sure I'd say the lead actor is bad, he doesn't quite have the charisma as some of the other actors.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the second episode was absolutely terrible. There is no tension here, no sense of dread, and the characters are all absolutely awful. The dialogue is hokey, basic, and embarrassing. It lacks all of the gravitas and nuance of season 1. Shouldn't carry the same name.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
1.5 episodes and deleted off the DVR for me. There isn't a single compelling thing about this show.

At least the first season had a great cast even if it was mostly wasted.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure your DVR wasn't possessed by a... bakemono?!?!
My brain must be since I haven't done the same.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
The only interesting thing to me so far is the historical setting of the Japanese internment. We never see that perspective but the directing so far has been substandard IMO. They really need to up the horror aspect asap.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, agreed. A deep-dive into this awful (and seldom-covered) period in American history would be great. So far the setting has been completely inconsequential.

Nov 21, 2017
Its too early but I found this to be a disservice to the subject. I want a drama show or movie about the Japanese internment camps without horror. There is nothing supernational scary about the internment camps compared to the first season which fit the genre perfectly.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like both the horror and the historical period are being given short shrift. Instead there's an awful lot about this boring pregnancy and the irrational decisions being made by Chester and Luz. It doesn't help that we really don't see any chemistry between them, or get much sense of any real history beyond them sleeping together. There's definitely a lack of atmosphere whenever the ghost or whatever isn't explicitly around.

I found it weird that the show either chose or was somehow prevented from using the accurate name for the race track location. I couldn't find any commentary on that. I'm not sure why that would be a creative choice, but I also believe there'd be any legal objection.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Three episodes in and I can say that I am unfortunately disappointed with this second season so far.

It doesn't really feel like supernatural horror, more like a hidden serial killer or something preying on the camp. The nuance and palpable dread you constantly felt in the first season is completely missing here.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Man, i must be in the minority. Season One was terrible for me, and two eps in i already find this significantly better. Don't know why, just S1 never meshed with me.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I think the season is solid thus far, but I'm not quite seeing the need for supernatural elements. As in season one, I find the material that's grounded in reality to be the more compelling part of the show.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Huge step down compared to S01. Only 3 episodes out so far...so I'm gonna stick it thru. But literally episode 1 of S01 was better than these 3 episodes combined. We'll see if they can save it.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
The new season is OK, not too bad, BUT why isnt anyone using 1940's accents? Everyone is talking as if it's 2019. I dont know how a Japanese immigrant 1940's accent sound like so I can look past that, but no excuses for the Americans.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I plowed through the first season a couple weeks ago and found it to be one of the best seasons of television I've just about ever watched.

I watched the first episode of the second season and.... haven't gotten to any more of it yet. Do the subsequent episodes get better or find better footing?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
This really couldn't have been written in the OT?

My main issue so far is I just feel like they're struggling to gain momentum. I haven't watched episode 3 yet though, so hopefully things start to pick up.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I merged the previous thread into the OT because that's where general impressions of the new season should go.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3 was garbage like the first two episodes. All I feel when watching this is boredom and an urge to give up on it and change the channel. No sense of dread like the first story. And I know there's a segment of the fan base out there whining about comparisons between season 1 and 2, but how can you not? We do it all the time with other shows so I think it's fair game. I don't think there's a single decent actor in the entire cast except for the lady playing the monster who hasn't done much anyway, so I can't knock her acting. Based on the preview, it looks as of things are going to start kicking into high gear next episode so hopefully it can get over this rough start. It's really not average in any way. Acting, story, spooks, music, script/dialogue, etc are all subpar.