• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by reclaimerzzzzz
The new version of The Tomorrow Children is planned for release sometime in 2022, published directly by Q-Games on PlayStation 4, with backwards compatibility for PS5. Other platforms may follow – Cuthbert says there is no contractual obligation to remain as a PlayStation exclusive title, so the only hurdles are the additional work and resources required to port it.

To distinguish the new version from the old one, Cuthbert says he is considering adding a "Director's Cut"-style subtitle to the name, although nothing is yet decided.

Players of the original game will not be able to transfer their saved data, as privacy laws make this an impossibility but, since it will partly be a new experience, Cuthbert feels it makes sense to have players start over anyway.

Cuthbert also discussed the changes he plans to make to The Tomorrow Children's gameplay ahead of its new release. Cuthbert is a master programmer who famously got a 3D game engine running on the Game Boy back in the late 1980s, earning him a job working with Nintendo on Star Fox. He was also a main programmer on the original version of The Tomorrow Children, and currently he is working on the new iteration himself – a process he describes as "fixing" the game.

The Tomorrow Children was originally released as a free-to-play game with microtransactions, a business model that was decided a little over halfway through its development, in line with SIE's strategy at the time (The Tomorrow Children came soon after 2014's similarly ill-fated free to play SIE Japan Studio title, Destiny of Spirits).

When it returns, The Tomorrow Children will be a regular premium purchase, with the microtransactions removed – in line with how it was originally conceived.

"In the game, there is a black market, which was our monetization area," explained Cuthbert. "That was originally in the game, but not as a free-to-play thing. The game is a parody of Marxist vs. Capitalist societies, so the black market was just meant to be a Capitalist option, to show how those two systems can work together. You could get the feeling of altruism by pursuing the Marxist style of thinking, where it's all for one, and then you have the black market side, where you get the technology you pay for. Because of that, it actually worked well having the black market be monetized with real money in terms of the game's lore. But it wasn't originally designed for that."

Since the monetization element was intended to cover the original game's running server costs, the new version will be hosted peer to peer, without relying on a central server. One major advantage of this change is that the game is less likely to be rendered unplayable, as the original version currently is, because players will be able to host games for as long as the PlayStation Network exists.
Other changes are being based on feedback from existing fans of the game, as well as internal playtesting. "We have the great benefit of retrospect, as well a huge fan base who already played it for a year, so we can just ask them what they think," said Cuthbert. It will also include some brand new content, although the details are still secret.

The Tomorrow Children was one of the only games that used ray tracing on PS4, and its advanced technical backend along with very strong art direction means it still looks striking alongside modern games. Also, its loose social elements were hugely prescient, mirrored later in games like Death Stranding, and now that there is an awareness of "strand" type games, along with an enhanced demand for online co-op play, The Tomorrow Children's use of drop-in, drop-out live collaboration makes it seem very well suited to the modern age. "I hope we can get the game out to the fans soon, and maybe even reach some new fans too," Cuthbert told us.
www.ign.com

How Q-Games Got the Rights From Sony to Bring Back Lost PS4 Exclusive The Tomorrow Children - IGN

Dylan Cuthbert has told IGN Japan how he convinced Sony to let him regain the IP for lost PS4 exclusive The Tomorrow Children – and how it's changing when it returns from the dead.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
If it's directly published for PS4, shouldn't it be FORWARD compatibility for PS5?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I mean, good luck I guess. When I tried the game out, I liked pretty much nothing about it and it didn't click nor vibe with me at all.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope its the beta version of the game. Loved the beta, hated the final release.

Edit: hate is a strong word, but i definitely didn't like it very much.

The Tomorrow Children was originally released as a free-to-play game with microtransactions, a business model that was decided a little over halfway through its development, in line with SIE's strategy at the time (The Tomorrow Children came soon after 2014's similarly ill-fated free to play SIE Japan Studio title, Destiny of Spirits).

When it returns, The Tomorrow Children will be a regular premium purchase, with the microtransactions removed – in line with how it was originally conceived.

Edit#2, this is what I wanted to hear.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It's quoted in the OP but is worth noting that this will be a paid release without MTX this time around:

This is a good read btw, the story on how Dylan and Greg Rice had to go through the licensing hell to get the IP back is cool.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
microtransactions, removed! 👏

Also, Hermen 💯 .

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Ohhh, hoping for a PC release, I really loved the PS4 beta build, but I wasn't working back then and couldn't get into the final build. Loved, LOVED the Soviet aesthetic. Very glad to see they are removing MTX. Will definitely support this when it releases.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'd love to see a native PS5 version though with full ray-tracing instead of just BC PS4 with the quasi-RT they used in the original.

Still looks incredible though. There's nothing like it out there, IMO.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If it's directly published for PS4, shouldn't it be FORWARD compatibility for PS5?
Nope, backwards compatibility is correct:
- Software for older hardware being playable in newer hardware -> Backwards compatibility.
- Software for newer hardware being playable in older hardware -> Forwards compatibility.
The compatibility is generally interpreted from the point of view of the hardware (that is, the PS5 is compatible with the game, not the other way around). Granted, there are very few examples of forwards compatibility, most often being relegated to easter eggs or unintended features. Gameboy Color games being playable in B/W Gameboys may qualify as an example.

Fake edit: The GBC -> GB example is in fact the first one listed in the Wikipedia page, hahah:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the vibe of this game and thought it had some cool ideas. I would give it another go

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Oh one of the best to end thsi year. I hope it will carry our old progress.
I hope this will get released on PS5 too with more developed Ray tracing. Ray Tracing FTW.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
First time I've seen anyone else mention Destiny of Spirits. I'd pay so much money to get that one back.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the puzzles are reworked too, it was like grindy brain work required to even access a crafting station.
But this re release is something I've hoped for since the game disappeared.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I am not familiar with this game but this adventure regarding the rights is fascinating.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Little bit sad that progress won't carry over but to be honest I don't remember what I even had on my old character anyways and it was probably mostly stuff from the beta.

Making it a normal game you pay for once definitely makes this more appealing to me, though I do wonder how much this will limit the playerbase. Looking forward to more details.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
I'm (back) in, but I wonder how the base building will work now that it's mostly single player.

I haven't played since the betas, but I remember your base would be pretty much doomed once other people stopped joining in and you'd be all by yourself to keep it up and defended.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This was highlighted in the OP but I think it deserves a special callout as well:

Since the monetization element was intended to cover the original game's running server costs, the new version will be hosted peer to peer, without relying on a central server. One major advantage of this change is that the game is less likely to be rendered unplayable, as the original version currently is, because players will be able to host games for as long as the PlayStation Network exists.

Presumably, if and when the game gets ported to other platforms the same will be true there, which potentially means if it's ported to PC, the game will survive as long as there are people interested in playing it.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I liked this game quite a bit when it first came out. I moved on pretty quickly but I'd definitely like to play it again.

Oct 27, 2017
Day 0 can't wait to dive back in. With a few tweaks this game could really shine good to see they are taking all that feedback into account.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Day 0 can't wait to dive back in. With a few tweaks this game could really shine good to see they are taking all that feedback into account.

This.

I'm eager to see if/how the game evolves once it's released and if they expand it in any way. I loved playing it back in the day but after a while I did get a bit of "okay but what else?" blues. Better in-game tutorials, more weapons and items, more gadgets, more monster types, etc. would be good enough on it's own. If them re-releasing it can give them the budget for bug fixes and upgrades etc. then that's still awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
This.

I'm eager to see if/how the game evolves once it's released and if they expand it in any way. I loved playing it back in the day but after a while I did get a bit of "okay but what else?" blues. Better in-game tutorials, more weapons and items, more gadgets, more monster types, etc. would be good enough on it's own. If them re-releasing it can give them the budget for bug fixes and upgrades etc. then that's still awesome.
I think the key word is budget. Will they have the funds for a substantial iteration over the original to deliver their true vision? I'm really hoping the team pulls it off very few games get second chances like this.

Rojiraan

Oct 30, 2017
Paris, France
I'm a very big fan of this game. The atmosphere was so unique. It became an instant classic in my mind.
I'm scared about game preservation in general, and the disappearance of TTC was for me a perfect example of what may happen in the worst case.

Anyway, I can't wait to go back into this world.
To Dylan and all Q-Games team, thank you so much.