• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first thread in Mama Robotnik's "Mario Multiversia" series.

Mario Multiversia #1 – The tormented, twisted psyche of Bowser Koopa

Mario Multiversia #2 – Mario – The Makings of a Hero

Mario Multiversia #3 - Waluigi and the Wah that Saved the World

trGxEK4.jpg

(Artist : Lisa Plokker)

Bowser Koopa.

Dictator. Despot. Warlord. Monster.

What makes the tyrant tick? What drives him to keep going, after his litany of constantly, relentless failures?

Lets delve into his tormented psyche.

Engineered Creation

"... the seven revered Star Spirits watched over our peaceful world carefully...very carefully… " – Narrator, Paper Mario

LQLDlCS.jpg

(Artist : leotte803 )

The Mushroom World was protected by a host of deities – revered as the Star Spirits (Paper Mario) – who had the ability when needed to imbue their powers into corporeal entities (Super Mario RPG).

They foresaw that the planet would face an onslaught of powerful extra-planetary and extra-dimensional entities such as Smithy (Super Mario RPG), Bleck (Super Paper Mario), the Shroob (Mario and Luigi Partners in Time), the X-Nauts (Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door) and Culex (Super Mario RPG). The spirits had great power, but not enough to battle each of these threats.

"The babies are called star children, and they each possess an extraordinary amount of power..." – Kamek, Yoshi's Island DS

The Star Spirits had a bold plan. They amassed their celestial power and created seven powerful champions, each engineered to protect the world from the dangers to come (Yoshi's Island DS).

The babies Mario, Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong and Yoshi, were to be taken by stork to their new homes and families. The baby Wario would have a less stable upbringing. But first to arrive was the baby Bowser. And he was delivered straight into the arms of the villainous sorcerer Kamek (Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island).

ZbWUTlf.jpg

(Artist : RoryDoona)

Commentary – Bowser was created to be a champion of the Mushroom World. Was he sent to the Koopas to unite them into a force for good? Regardless, he was raised by an evil wizard, who taught the child values completely contrary to his pre-destined purpose. Bowser is a tormented creature, created for a purpose he was raised to abhor.

Torments from a Hateful Future

HfQlwBc.jpg

(Artist : bbullion )

"Kamek, an evil Magikoopa from the Koopa Kingdom. Having divined last night that twin babies born this morning will bring disaster to the Koopa family…" - Manual, Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island

The young King Bowser was raised under the auspices of his guardian, Kamek. The sorcerer voiced prophecies that the babies Mario and Luigi would become the greatest threat to the Koopa civilisation. Having convinced the Koopa King that these babies were their enemies, Koopa forces were dispatched to bring back the children, to be destroyed. This ended in disaster when the Yoshi tribe intervened, invading the realm of the Koopas, assaulting their generals, and beat the young Bowser into a senseless stupor. (Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island)

"Don't think I'll ever forget this! I won't! Not for a million years! Not even when I'm an old geezer like YOU" – The Young Bowser, Yoshi's Island DS

Bowser was deposed shortly after by the most unlikely adversary – his own future self. Bowser's adult incarnation invaded the present from a future in which he had been repeatedly defeated, and attacked his young counterpart. He took over the Koopa Kingdom, banishing the child king to the wilderness. (Yoshi's Island DS)
The young Bowser was forced to unite with the Yoshi's in order to banish his older incarnation (Yoshi's Island DS). Further temporal incursions occurred, and the young Bowser watched as Yoshi soundly beat his future self. (New Yoshi's Island)

Commentary – Bowser was raised around a madman who prophesised his future greatness. Reality shattered this when Mario and Yoshi slaughtered their way through the Koopa forces. The child king was then mistreated by his own future self, ingraining both trauma and a literal sense of self-loathing. The young Bowser then saw his future self defeated repeatedly by Yoshi.

Bowser would grow with the foreknowledge that he would become a hateful, petty, failure. His future was already written. He had no free-will. His rage, his viciousness, his fury – all attempts to control a destiny he could not escape.

Raised in war

"… defeating the Shroobs will... still be impossible!" – Toadbert, Mario and Luigi Partners in Time

As the tensions with the Yoshi tribe calmed, a new and terrifying threat emerged. The Shroob – a cruel alien menace – invaded the Mushroom World en-masse. They attacked all civilisations across the planet, causing immense devastation. Their vessels were impenetrable, their soldiers formidable, and their weapons were beyond anything the Mushroom World could fathom.

The Shroob dragged people from their homes, Koopa and Toad alike, and connected them to nutrient extractors – which would drain the very life out of each victim to further fuel the Shroob War Machine.

Like everyone else on the planet, Bowser was terrified.

kd9BYDB.jpg

(Artist : Dralsk )

q009XOG.jpg

(Artist : Filip Hondas )

The Shroob were eventually defeated by time-travel – the scientist Elvin Gadd conspired with his future self to introduce a chemical weapon into weather system, which rained genocide onto the Shroob. The invaders melted into pools of screaming, sizzling flesh, and their vessels crashed out of the skies (Mario and Luigi Partners in Time)

Commentary – Bowser would never forget the harrowing Shroob War. The Koopa Kingdom had been so close to its utter destruction, and this would drive Bowser to transform his realm into a militarised war machine. Future invasions, such as those of Smithy and the X-Nauts, only emphasised to the Koopa King the importance of conquest and control.

Unable to Die

"Arrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!" – Dry Bowser, New Super Mario Bros.

J1iHyK1.jpg

(Artist : RoryDoona )

Bowser invaded the neighbouring Mushroom Kingdom time and again. Beyond this, he invaded distant kingdoms, other planets, and parallel universes. His defeats were spectacular and agonising, and included:
  • Being submerged in molten lava on countless occasions (Super Mario Bros; Mario Lost Levels; Super Mario Bros Special; Vs Super Mario Bros; and All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros.)
  • Being dropped down an enormous shaft (Super Mario Bros. 3)
  • Being launched across a planet in an enormous cannon (Mario is Missing)
  • Being exiled onto Jurassic-era earth (Mario's Time Machine)
  • Being dropped into a sun (Super Mario Galaxy)
  • Falling from atop a giant skyscraper (Super Mario 3D World)
  • Had a castle dropped on him (Super Paper Mario)
  • Possessed by multiple evil entities that transmogrified his flesh (Mario and Luigi series)

Vg48GRM.jpg

(Artist : Marioshi64 )

He is un-killable, and has consequently experienced a level of pain beyond what mortal flesh could withstand. In one of his more recent defeats, his body plunged into a particularly ferocious lava pit – he screamed as his flesh was seared from his bones (New Super Mario Bros.)

Commentary – Bowser was empowered from the moment of his birth – as a Star Child - to be impossibly durable. Consequently, he has been through enough pain that would drive anyone completely mad. While he never wins, he can also never truly lose, and therefore his existence is a futile cycle of defeat.

Obsessive Madness

"I kidnapped Princess Peach! I couldn't be happier, diary! I hope she likes me..." – Bowser's Diary, Paper Mario

pvuLfmW.jpg

(Artist: am-bearre )

Bowser's first conquest of the Mushroom Kingdom was a brutal campaign. He transformed the citizens into stone blocks, and locked Princess Peach in a dank cell suspended above a lava pool. She was a political prisoner, of whom he had nothing but contempt. (Super Mario Bros)

Mario rescued the monarch, and Bowser countered by kidnapping her again and again, only for Mario to rescue her, again and again. She became a trophy that the Koopa King could not possess, and this triggered an obsessive compulsion in his mind.

j5pwkoo.jpg

(Artist : DogmanSP )

This manifested in many ways:
  • Further kidnapping attempts (Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World)
  • Outrage that others might try to kidnap the Princess, who he believed was his property (Mario and Luigi series)
  • Conquering her castle, and imprisoning the princess in a stained glass window, so he could stare at her without interference (Super Mario 64)
  • Marrying her against her will, in a ceremony under duress performed by the demonic Count Bleck (Super Paper Mario)
  • Abducting her and arranging a second forced marriage (Super Mario Odyssey)
  • Telling his own son that Princess Peach is his mother (Super Mario Sunshine)

h1hfcl4.jpg

(Artist : DonoArtz )

Bowser also tried a crueller approach. By kidnapping Peach's friends he attempted to isolate the princess. This led to an unusual situation in which Peach summoned the her rarely-seen might, stormed Bowser's kingdom, killed his soldiers, and pulverised the Koopa King leaving him a battered, defeated mess. (Super Princess Peach)

j93KXCK.jpg

(Artist : williamcjones48 )

Princess Peach is savvy, and understands that Bowser is an indestructible force of nature. She has learned to manage his obsession with her, in a way that minimises the harm to her subjects, such as:
  • Passively accepting kidnappings and providing minimal resistance (Super Mario RPG, New Super Mario Bros. series) – despite her own formidable powers as a Star Child (Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Island DS)
  • Goading the Koopa King into impressing her in sporting and karting events (Mario Sports titles)
  • Later inviting Bowser and his entire family to take part in party games. (Mario Party series)
Peach understands that Bowser will always be coming for her, so she does her best to occupy the beast with harmless activities and managed kidnappings with minimal collateral damage to her kingdom.

mxvcljx.jpg

(Artist : YoshiKimos )

Commentary – Bowser is obsessed with a woman who for political reasons and the protection of her kingdom, cannot tell him that she despises him. She encourages him to be involved in activities and events with her for her own agenda – the protection of her people - and not out of any sense of affection. The Koopa King does not pick up on any such nuances, and his torment over her is further fuelled. The Koopa King is trapped in an insane cycle of conquest, followed by friendly sporting events, followed by conquest. He is contained, and yet somehow, he doesn't see it.

The Torments of Bowser Koopa

ueQEP6E.jpg

(Artist : Jason Chan )

Final Commentary - He is a pitiable figure. He is bound from his childhood to predestined failure and defeat, and has no free will of which to speak. He is trapped in a cycle of obsessive behaviour. He is indestructible, but will face agonising defeat after defeat until the end of time. He hates himself so much, that he even travelled back in time to attack his past self. He is trapped.

He may lock Peach in a cage, but she is more free than he will ever be.

Last edited:

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I aspire to

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This is brilliant and i'll crib parts of it for my headcanon, but it ignores the reset timeline and the fact that some of these games likely occurred in separate lines

I like to think that Yoshi's Island occurs in the prime timeline, Yoshi's Island 2 occurs in the Reboot timeline (from when Rosalina restores the universe after Bowser collapses everything), and Yoshi's New Island occurs in a sort of nexus between them because that plot is all fucked up by time travel anyway.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no Mario without Bowser, and there's no Bowser without Mario.

Bowser is probably tired of the cycle of antagonism, kidnapping, violence and defeat; but he cannot stop because he cannot exist otherwise. He is trapped in his villainous identity and will never know peace.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dear lord, I could not keep my tea from escaping through my nostrils while reading this thread.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool and I didn't expect it to be this dark, even though the title of this thread should have tipped me off.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
when are we getting mario souls anyway

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Like the moon over
The day, my genius and brawn
Are lost on these fools.
— Bowser

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Always the best threads, Mama Robotnik.
Mario deep lore is better than Soulsbornes'.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
On the other hand:

-Bowser is, by all accounts, a great dad himself.

-Bowser is, by all accounts, a great guy to work for who even has a benefits package.

-Bowser saves the world as often and with as much aplomb as he tries to take it over.

Despite being raised to be a shit, he manages to not be irredeemable.

Nov 23, 2017
thread of the ever

but you forgot how he's downright silly as fuck sometimes, insecure, self loathing, and also an inspiring leader who despite having dedicated followers tends to mismanage his army or outright gets unlucky that mario is so successful in his adventure

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tbh I still kind of enjoy the canon where the sports and go-karting are the real Mario & friends, and the Super Mario epic adventures are just well-acted shows put on for us by a Mario, Bowser, Peach who are all actually pretty chummy. You can canonize it all within that, but I see the Sports and Kart titles as outside that "universe".

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
On the other hand:

-Bowser is, by all accounts, a great guy to work for who even has a benefits package.

-Bowser saves the world as often and with as much aplomb as he tries to take it over.

This. As much as I enjoy a good Mama Robotnik thread, I feel this is a hit piece on an outstanding parent and member of the international community.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
The sweeping past of the Koopalings, and Bowser's moments of cooperation is ignorant. Ultimately, as Miyamoto has stated in interviews - I interpret the Mario series as a bunch of plays with different "actors" playing roles that vary. Bowser is a loving parent, a surprisingly kind character in some games, and a sex symbol unrivalled in Nintendo history.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand:

Surely by combining the tragic fate chronicled in this thread and these character witness statements we can get to the real truth:

Man's got some complex lizard shit going on.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I think this is the best MamaRobotnik thread.

Thank you. You have finally weaved Star Spirits and The Seven Stars into the same canon, and for that, I commend you.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Super Mario Bros 3 is really apart of the Mario Party series. The entire game is just them role playing

Nice thread btw

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I don't really have anything in particular to add to the discussion, but wanted to bump this thread for the sheer awesomeness of it. This is the sort of fun you can have with IPs that have a gagillion entries.

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
This is brilliant and i'll crib parts of it for my headcanon, but it ignores the reset timeline and the fact that some of these games likely occurred in separate lines

I like to think that Yoshi's Island occurs in the prime timeline, Yoshi's Island 2 occurs in the Reboot timeline (from when Rosalina restores the universe after Bowser collapses everything), and Yoshi's New Island occurs in a sort of nexus between them because that plot is all fucked up by time travel anyway.

When the universe collapses and is rebooted, I always considered everything following the same continuity - that most of those living on the mortal plane had no idea they'd been killed and recreated. I always felt the same was also true of when Blumkere killed countless trillions across the multiverse only for them to be later restored.

There's no Mario without Bowser, and there's no Bowser without Mario.

Bowser is probably tired of the cycle of antagonism, kidnapping, violence and defeat; but he cannot stop because he cannot exist otherwise. He is trapped in his villainous identity and will never know peace.

I think one day Bowser will tire of his existence and fully realise how trapped he is. He does not need to be able to actually die to go to Hell, he will already be there.

why are we still here

just to suffer

The same can be said of the facsimiles inhabiting the Smash parallel. Destined to fight, destined to suffer, no permanent death, no escape, all for the glory of the demon Master Hand.

On the other hand:

While I'll commend his choices to involve his son in his schemes, he is terrible at actually safeguarding him. The poor boy is hurt constantly, and combining this with the "Peach is your mother" lie, there are some serious parenting capability questions to answer.

And that doesn't take into account the Koopalings. Once known as the "children of Bowser", these adopted youngsters were stripped of their place in the family as soon as Bowser had a biological child.

thread of the ever

but you forgot how he's downright silly as fuck sometimes, insecure, self loathing, and also an inspiring leader who despite having dedicated followers tends to mismanage his army or outright gets unlucky that mario is so successful in his adventure

I'll credit him as keeping control of his own forces, and driving them with such purpose that a single goomba will always try to attack Mario, which is always doomed to failure.

Tbh I still kind of enjoy the canon where the sports and go-karting are the real Mario & friends, and the Super Mario epic adventures are just well-acted shows put on for us by a Mario, Bowser, Peach who are all actually pretty chummy. You can canonize it all within that, but I see the Sports and Kart titles as outside that "universe".

I think there is a merit in that, though I personally prefer the political-manipulation angle in which Peach is actively taking advantage of both Bowser's competitive streak and his obsession with her.

This. As much as I enjoy a good Mama Robotnik thread, I feel this is a hit piece on an outstanding parent and member of the international community.

I think any social worker worth their salt would have a lot of questions to ask about Bowser's parenting. Koopa propaganda of him as a family man, is not to be trusted.

The sweeping past of the Koopalings, and Bowser's moments of cooperation is ignorant. Ultimately, as Miyamoto has stated in interviews - I interpret the Mario series as a bunch of plays with different "actors" playing roles that vary. Bowser is a loving parent, a surprisingly kind character in some games, and a sex symbol unrivalled in Nintendo history.

An interesting interpretation. Any further example of him being kind?

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
https://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012...st-is-a-troupe-of-actors-and-bowsers-kids-are - here's the receipts for the troupe cast theory

My biggest evidence for the kindness? Mario and Rabbids. Bowser calls up Jr. and checks up on homework. This is consistent with the characterisation in the Parental controls ad, which suggests my theory that in-universe outside of the plays the troupe perform, Bowser is a good bloke.

He's the Kass of the Mario kingdom - a loving parent who is absent due to circumstances of cosmic fate. Also he's hot.