• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I feel like this may be an inappropriate thread, and may get locked. I preemptively apologize.

Since the inception of the internet and the anonymity it provides, people have been general jerks and spewed vitriolic statements left and right with reckless abandon. This is known. "The old place" (since people here seem to treat NeoGAF like Lord Voldemort - I will firmly stand as Dumbledore did and say the name means nothing) may have been left behind, but there was one thing we had there that I've noticed has been recently lacking here, which is an elevated level of maturity when it comes to discussing our favorite games, movies, etc. I've seen personal insults, asinine and childish statements like "you're factually wrong" when referring to an opinion, repeated attempts at egging specific users on, and a general lack of tact. I think, especially since this forum was built on being morally superior, that we shouldn't stand for this. This isn't GameFAQs or Reddit - we're the side of nerddom that dissects lore, writes editorials as OPs, and delights in the nitty gritty discussion of the differences between different blu-ray releases. We aren't supposed to be about petulant arguments, childish comebacks, and personal insults.

I think it's really come to head with the recent release of Star Wars. The Last Jedi thread has become a minefield of these negative aspects of discussion. I realize Star Wars is a huge, HUGE franchise and attracts a lot of people to the table, but we still shouldn't stand for that kind of toxicity.

It might just be me, but I think we should be nice to each other, especially since "being nicer" is the reason this forum exists when boiled down to a simplistic level.

Happy New Years and be excellent to each other.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree but it's something that can't really be stopped. When people are so convinced they're right about something or you're wrong they feel that gives them a free pass to be an ass.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to belittle, but all those things were on the other forum too, in spades.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The ignore feature is a godsend. Ignore a toxic user and every participant of their toxic hangouts. Makes Era so much more pleasurable.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It is unfortunate how so many discussions devolve into personal attacks. A modicum of decorum would be appreciated. Follow Wheaton's Law.

Don't be a dick.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that was always there, one of the worst things about the old place was the high horse "elevated level of maturity" bullshit, people were just as bad, there were just less ways to hide it than there are in other sites so you had people treading on eggshells a bit more.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty funny that my useful and totally normal thread about Bloodborne cut content got crossposted on Reddit ps4 and immediately I looked at the comments and almost every single comment was complaining about the fact that it was a resetera link and people asking to copy and paste my post and the image I made to not give the site traffic

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Over the years, I've just developed a thick skin and learned not to invest too many feelings into what people on the internet think about me or anything else. It's not worth the stress. I can be very passionate and vocal about some things. I try not to be an asshole, but I can be sometimes. I do my best to apologise and keep myself in check. We're only human. We fuck up and make miscalculations.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I get quite a few personal insults. I just assume they ran out of ways to refute my points.

Also, this has nothing to do with anonymity.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Not to belittle, but all those things were on the other forum too, in spades.
I felt that GAF was going through a rough period for a long time and at times it certainly had a real hostile/negative feeling where every discussion turned into pointless arguments within the first 2-3 posts and then it just spiraled out of control. I found myself sticking to certain threads just because it became tiring reading pages of complaining instead of discussion. I feel like ERA was a much needed change and as a reboot it felt like it kicked that all that stuff that was building up away and honestly so far it's been pretty pleasent posting here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I think it's pretty funny that my useful and totally normal thread about Bloodborne cut content got crossposted on Reddit ps4 and immediately I looked at the comments and almost every single comment was complaining about the fact that it was a resetera link and people asking to copy and paste my post and the image I made to not give the site traffic

Because /r/PS4 is a shithole with daily rants about the evil SJWs ruining gaming.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Report their posts, if it's bad the mods will take care of it. I've seen plenty of personal insults get warned on here and banned if they're continued.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I swear to God, you're all so soft. Do you have any idea what the rest of internet discourse looks like? The kind of honest posting going here would be eviscerated in the largest portions of web discussions, particularly gaming centered. Not saying it's not without it's flaws, I mean I like posting here. But bringing up to toxicity and malice? Just asking for some perspective.

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally, having a discussion in good faith, being intellectual honest about topics and being open to being wrong in certain situations/respectfully accepting when you are wrong instead of doubling down is something that should be commonplace.

Since thats not always the case, if you feel like the discussion is getting to a point where it is breaking the ToS, just report them. The moderation team are absolutely great in their responses thus far, very much appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had enough of people using the word 'toxic' to describe everything they don't like about everything. Pick up a thesaurus. It won't hurt.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
While I think a new site can bring all the people that weren't banned there and new ones, I believe that with time every one will ended up banned.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I'll be nicer to you if you can best me in a match of knifey spoony
latest

This is a knife.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really come to head with the recent release of Star Wars. The Last Jedi thread has become a minefield of these negative aspects of discussion. I realize Star Wars is a huge, HUGE franchise and attracts a lot of people to the table, but we still shouldn't stand for that kind of toxicity.
It's really not that bad. People have gotten heated and mean spirited a couple of times, but it calms down. Try to make amends and the other person will most likely reciprocate. If not, just report I guess.

chaos_planes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The ignore feature is a godsend. Ignore a toxic user and every participant of their toxic hangouts. Makes Era so much more pleasurable.
This. Ignore here is incredible - it makes any and every post by a user disappear into the abyss. All those annoying "personality" posters, who have to make every thread about themselves, but never quite break the rules? Gone.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
A dude straight up got stabbed in the heart in that Star Wars OT. Saw it with mine own two eyes, I did. Bloody business, that.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I agree but it's something that can't really be stopped. When people are so convinced they're right about something or you're wrong they feel that gives them a free pass to be an ass.
It can be stopped if people make an effort, or such a place is made that those who act in such ways leave. And systems can be designed such that those occurrences are diminished because, essentially, human behavior is systematic and systems can be built. Yet i'm not sure that would be preferable. I'm not sure it's the endpoint of moderation to become useless, or, instead, if that's a pragmatic objective to have. People have bad days, they may come here without the mental energy to consider what they're saying, and yet i'm not sure i can be taken to think that they simply shouldn't post. But i don't think those situations shouldn't go unscathed, or unthought, as it were. Bans and warnings exist and should be given aplenty, preferably this place is such that people would comeback afterwards with a cleaner mind. Though i'm cynical enough to admit that i don't think that's achievable.

Plus, sometimes you have to be an ass. Not about Star Wars obviously, unless people come out complaining that the main cast isn't all white or some shit like that. But consider situations where there is willful disregard for the respect that's demanded posters have of some topics, or some groups. There's a distinction that has to be made between who you should be nice towards, and what merits being an ass to some. It's not so simple as acting out like Ninty and saying shit like "we think everyone should have fun".

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Report their posts, if it's bad the mods will take care of it. I've seen plenty of personal insults get warned on here and banned if they're continued.

I've thought about this before... what would happen if you were to report a post by a mod? Would it be taken into consideration or would the possibility exist that they would find your identity and target you moving forward? The fact that this is even a concern is probably why Reddit has all but destroyed the traditional forum format.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Um yeah. To me this place feels virtually the same as the other place.
pretty much, but the report and moderation features actually work here.

I've thought about this before... what would happen if you were to report a post by a mod? Would it be taken into consideration or would the possibility exist that they would find your identity and target you moving forward?
mods are not infallible, you can either choose to believe that this site is truly unique in that everyone will be held to the same high standard or that we are the old place 2.0

up to you really.

RedValkyrie

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this may be an inappropriate thread, and may get locked. I preemptively apologize.

Since the inception of the internet and the anonymity it provides, people have been general jerks and spewed vitriolic statements left and right with reckless abandon.
I don't know how old you are but I'm going to stop you right there.

The Internet was NOT as toxic as it is today. I was there, as a kid, in the early days of Prodigy, Compuserve and AOL and it definitely was not like this. I don't remember being in chatrooms with people saying hateful things like YT and Twitter comments.

Happy New Year to you too.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about this before... what would happen if you were to report a post by a mod? Would it be taken into consideration or would the possibility exist that they would find your identity and target you moving forward? The fact that this is even a concern is probably why Reddit has all but destroyed the traditional forum format.
You can PM an admin if you want instead.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I felt that GAF was going through a rough period for a long time and at times it certainly had a real hostile/negative feeling where every discussion turned into pointless arguments within the first 2-3 posts and then it just spiraled out of control. I found myself sticking to certain threads just because it became tiring reading pages of complaining instead of discussion. I feel like ERA was a much needed change and as a reboot it felt like it kicked that all that stuff that was building up away and honestly so far it's been pretty pleasent posting here.

Gaf had a problem where people with opposing views were purged just for having different views. I can only imagine that the degeneration of discussion that you describe is the product of that. People didn't disagree on greater ideas and themes and so argued over nothing.

EctoPrime

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to God, you're all so soft. Do you have any idea what the rest of internet discourse looks like? The kind of honest posting going here would be eviscerated in the largest portions of web discussions, particularly gaming centered. Not saying it's not without it's flaws, I mean I like posting here. But bringing up to toxicity and malice? Just asking for some perspective.

I agree 100%. There are much worse spots online and even conversations in person than here or gaf. This place was built on being a moral high ground? I don't understand how that even matters. At least here you can block and no longer see people. Why not block the shitheads and keep on truckin? Gaf conversation was never that bad and unless you towed the ultra liberal line you were banned. Not been posting much here compared but I was banned on gaf a few times for dumb shit instead of a conversation. I learn and do much better with a conversation than a ban and I assume most do. If there are drive by shit comments and they keep doing it just block them on your end.

But as said above this place is very accepting and moral compared to almost all the other sites I visit and also enjoy. I just don't take any of it serious because it's the internet and at the end of the day none of it matters enough to keep me awake or complain. Listening to old Opie and Anthony episodes is a good reminder to me of things that used to fly and are still funny if not publicly accepted.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what exactly counts as "toxicity" in star wars discussion? to me it hasn't appeared to be that much different from any other divisive piece of entertainment, at least on this forum. is saying the movie sucks "toxic"?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how old you are but I'm going to stop you right there.

The Internet was NOT as toxic as it is today. I was there, as a kid, in the early days of Prodigy, Compuserve and AOL and it definitely was not like this. I don't remember being in chatrooms with people saying hateful things like YT and Twitter comments.

Happy New Year to you too.

Are you joking? I've been on the internet since 1994. It's ALWAYS been toxic, and even worse. The only difference is people used it for 30 minutes a day and walked away because you didn't want to tie up your phone line. Now, people have so much of their life integrated into social media that they never leave it.

I'd argue it was even wilder back then, because people felt they had complete anonymity. (WOW I SPELLED THAT RIGHT FIRST TRY WTF!)

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The notion that the userbase would somehow magically elevate their discussion on a new forum when half of them chose to get banned from NeoGAF in incredibly immature ways is laughable.

RabbidPeach

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
England
I've been taking part in online forums since the late 90's. Nothing at all has changed or will change. It's always been like this. Everywhere.

This whole "The internet is toxic now" thing is stupid. It's just how people are.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
what exactly counts as "toxicity" in star wars discussion? to me it hasn't appeared to be that much different from any other divisive piece of entertainment, at least on this forum. is saying the movie sucks "toxic"?
I don't think the majority of people using the term "toxic" know what the term "toxic" in relation to discussion and behaviour means.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Era is a place with 33,000 users. You're gonna get vocal people you don't like. GAF was far bigger. I don't like people who sweepingly generalise 'Era' or 'gaf' as hotbeds of toxicity

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact this thread hasn't been closed already due to shitposts. Everyone here is charmed, whether they know it or not.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been the same https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.games.video/IKQkExqofSA

Newsgroup post from 1989 said:
On the subject of choosing a video game.....my five cents....

Personally, I think the Nintendo is a piece of right wing garbage akin to the
IBM PC. Slow, out of date, but heavily marketed so that mindless dweenies will
think it's the hottest thing since Zelda had her first period. I have yet TO
SEE A SINGLE GAME ON THE THING SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER THAN STUFF I PLAYED ON MY
OLD ATARI 800 SEVEN YEARS AGO.....Yes, there are some nice games, but they do
not do anything extraordinary and in fact clearly show the glaring limitations
of the thing's inferior pre-VLSI hardware.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Use the report feature. There is nothing wrong here that a wave of warnings and bans won't solve. I am very appreciative of this place and think the mods are doing a great job, they just can't pre-empt people's snippiness or be everywhere at once.

Oh, and skip the Star Wars threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.