• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Granted, Dragon Quest is not a series that's known for having very many female protagonists - only III, IV, IX, and X had them, and the latter two they were just character creators. Nevertheless, it just feels utterly ridiculous that we didn't at least get female Erdrick or Sofia as alts. Heck, they didn't even include a single female character in the Final Smash! It's literally just 11 Dragon Quest guys (and on that matter, Luminary is literally the least appealing choice for a default - DQVIII Hero, Erdrick, and Solo are way better). For me, it's really disappointing that the Hero has such a robust and interesting moveset, but character-wise, none of them have a strong appeal to me, not as strong as Sofia anyway. This becomes even worse when one considers just how low female representation is in Ultimate, and how when we do get female characters, they're typically clones or alt skins. I don't expect it, but I really hope they will give us a Heroine Echo Fighter or at least decide to add female Erdrick and Sofia as alts down the line.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Outside of the Sugiyama stuff, that's my only other gripe with how the DQ Heroes are represented in Smash......unless we get the DQ Heroines as echoes later down the line (which I'm not getting my hopes up for).

Either way, the Fighters Pass is turning out to be a guy fest. Hopefully we get at least one woman in there before it's over (in short, save us, Jill).

Last edited:

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
This industry ,in general, has a real problem with strong females.
I mean, there's always a fuss when we get one.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
They've gotta make each model from scratch and the male versions are more iconic to Japanese audiences. I'm sure if they had all the time in the world there'd be unique models for each costume but there's deadlines to meet. It's disappointing but them's the breaks.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do female alts exist in the games? It wouldn't make much sense to just create some just for Smash if they don't.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
They've had so many opportunities to add to the female roster even just in the form of alts that the insistence not to seems deliberate at this point. They want this to be a boy's game.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
They've gotta make each model from scratch and the male versions are more iconic to Japanese audiences. I'm sure if they had all the time in the world there'd be unique models for each costume but there's deadlines to meet.

The DQIX character model was just the default in character creation, it could have been female yet it was male. Same with the DQX default.

Just feels like women tend to get the short end of the stick in general when it comes to marketing and deadlines eh

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is annoying especially for the Dragon Quest character as III and IV had both men and women hero designs. If they already took the time to make 4 heroes why not just go all the way?

Also, here's hoping this thread goes better than the last one.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Would have been nice to have every protag tbh but yes no Sophia really sucks

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As for Luminary being the default, I honestly feel like it was a Nintendo decision meant to better market Dragon Quest XI S. Going by the trailer, Erdrick would have likely been the default if it was 100% Sakurai's decision.

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, not even 1 female variant being shown absolutely pissed me off during the reveal. It would have given us a woman sword and shield fighter for once.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Them providing more than the Luminary was already a surprise to most people - sure more is always better but in a title with Smash you will never be able to satisfy everyone. With unlimited budget or time, there is always something else that could be added. Especially when dealing with 3rdParty IP holder you have to be more catious with your demands.

Compare the DQ representation to what we got from SE with Finals Fantasy 7 - yet there are still people who feel wronged and expect something diffrent or more.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Female!Erdrick should be easier, but seriously I really dislike the idea DQ4!Heroine is not there because her design is even more unique.

Nov 4, 2018
Do female alts exist in the games? It wouldn't make much sense to just create some just for Smash if they don't.
The series has a few games where the main character's gender could be male or female. To my knowledge, only 3, 4, 9, and 10 offered gender options. 9 and 10 don't really count as much as 3 and 4 due to how 9 and 10 were developed more as cooperative multiplayer games rather than single player RPGs.

For Smash, Hero's alts are for 11 (The Luminary), 3 (Erdrick), 4 (Green guy), and 8 (Mouse in the Pocket).

11 and 8 don't have gender options, so while it would've been really cool to have 3 and 4's female versions I get that they probably didn't want to make 2 more extra models and have to hire 2 more voice actresses as well as make it seem like 3 and 4 were more special than 8 and 11.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And for those who are saying they run out of characters, 9 is also a character creator avatar which has women options and just use the III Warrior class. It's like iconic in the series anyways. There, there's 8 characters stretching across multiple games in the series.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Them providing more than the Luminary was already a surprise to most people - sure more is always better but in a title with Smash you will never be able to satisfy everyone. With unlimited budget or time, there is always something else that could be added. Especially when dealing with 3rdParty IP holder you have to be more catious with your demands.

Compare the DQ representation to what we got from SE with Finals Fantasy 7 - yet there are still people who feel wronged and expect something diffrent or more.

I mean, okay, but the fact is that as it is Hero is a character that everyone expected to get female alts because that's literally something basic to Erdrick. Again, you're not wrong - women tend to be first to go if there's time constraints involved.

Oh I'm just typing in work, I'll punctuate properly next time!

And I'm reading while sleep deprived :u

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super excited about Hero but that is my biggest gripe with their inclusion. They at least could have given us Fem!Erdrick and/or Sofia.
Smash Bros. in general already lacks female representation so it's unfortunate that they didn't go for that when they had the chance.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
The DQIX character model was just the default in character creation, it could have been female yet it was male. Same with the DQX default.

Just feels like women tend to get the short end of the stick in general when it comes to marketing and deadlines eh
Yeah, for sure. I wasn't trying trying to say they shouldn't be in the game, just saying the likely reason they weren't given priority over the other designs. Considering Robin and Corrin have female alts, I really doubt they weren't at least considered for hero.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X has a female hero.

dotup.org1450433.jpg

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for sure. I wasn't trying trying to say they shouldn't be in the game, just saying the likely reason they weren't given priority over the other designs. Considering Robin and Corrin have female alts, I really doubt they weren't at least considered for hero.

Fair, though I'd honestly rather Hero be delayed and given a couple female alts.

To be fair, Kazooie is a female.

Yeah, but Kazooie is also less prevalent than Banjo in the moveset, though I'm not complaining about their presence. B&K rock, especially the K.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It really is odd as it seemed like male/female options were the standard of all characters of this type.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I think they missed an opportunity by not using the female hero as the DQ IV rep.
As a curly hair guy I would have gotten representation on that front, also!

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure it's a sausage fest and there's only one slot left in the Fighters pass, but that slot belongs to Meowscular Chef! and also Kazooie is a girl.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what the prompt was, in terms of how much he was told for DQ. Was he told which alts to do, to make it multiple characters, or just given a choice for DQ?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I understand why it went the way they did(current set of protags are probably the more iconic of the group, etc), but I think I'd have preferred personally if 4 was replaced with the female alt, and maybe 8 was replaced by the female default for 9/10.

Hopefully, we do get some girls for the rest of the fighters pass though.