• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Most packages of Index, Valve's high-end VR headset released earlier this year, are sold out following last week's announcement of Half-Life: Alyx.

If Valve is counting on Half-Life: Alyx being a killer app for VR, early signs suggest they may just get their wish.

Following last week's announcement of Half-Life: Alyx, most Index packages—the headset-only, controllers-only, and headset + controller packages—are currently listed as sold out with a 'Back in Stock Soon' message in place of the order button.

As for the 'full kit' package (headset + controllers + base stations), Valve is advising that anyone ordering today can "expect delivery before December 25th," nearly a month from now.

The full kit is $1000, the headset alone is $500, and the Index controllers alone are $270, so these items selling out is impressive considering the price.

This is in addition to the Oculus Quest having sold 180,000 units in Q3, and 400,000 units overall in 6 months, indicating the tail end of 2019 is shaping up to be the best VR sales ever. Of course, that's a reoccuring trend, as every year since the original Rift and Vive and PSVR launched, VR headset sales have increased every single holiday season.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The full kit is $1000, the headset alone is $500, and the Index controllers alone are $270, so these items selling out is impressive considering the price.

I think the main takeaway here is that people underestimate just how dedicated the fanbase for Half Life is. Plenty of takes on Twitter and on the announcement thread saying it won't sell well because it is VR and I'm getting the indication that it might sell very well.

I will mostly be interested in player count on release. I want to be shocked.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Half Life gave a lot of people the excuse/final push to finally get a VR set. I hope also, Valve see peoples demand for more HL.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Valve Index? The Vr kit that costs $1000 dollars?
That's... Impressive.

I mean, the game is compatible with even generic kits that uses Windows mixed reality, which costs about $200, and yet people are going towards the premium one.

The game has a lot of pull.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Valve Index? The Vr kit that costs $1000 dollars?
That's... Impressive.

I mean, the game is compatible with even generic kits that uses Windows mixed reality, which costs about $200, and yet people are going towards the premium one.

I'd say it's relative to people assuming that it's the best way to play, and this game pushed them over the edge for purchase.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Many here who are allergic to vr will change their tune when the right game comes along.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I'm fine with that. Some VR games can be a lot of fun so it's good to see the platform get even more interest from known developers. I'm not nearly dedicated enough to spend $1k plus upgrade parts for just one game. My PSVR is good enough for me.

All in all, here's hoping the series won't be locked behind whatever hardware venture Valve is investing in from now on.

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus headsets also selling really well right now.

Valve know their audience. Tons of them already have a PC good enough to play Alyx and also likely have the money necessary to invest in VR but just need a killer game to convince them.

Status
Not open for further replies.