• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
This has been a sentiment for the last decade but I feel like it's only become a big issue for me now. I'm not a jaded gamer whose grown out of it, I currently play Overwatch and Lunar 2 daily and then I will move on to Legend of Dragoon. All the industry seems to have regressed to is chasing a few big gaming trends, whether it's Fortnite, Soulsborne games or Metroidvanias. The indies that were supposed to be a breath of fresh air mostly(I said mostly) chase the same trends set by other big indies or trying to cash in on nostalgia by making clones.

If I could categorize what I see with a quick glance in the gaming world it's:
-"Sony Style" big cinematic games
-"e-sporty" / GAAS games
-RPG-lite games EVERYTHING
-Metroidvanias, Souls likes and indie clones
-shitty anime games farted out by Namco

and too few risky or avant garde games which do their own thing without borrowing from others, this doesn't even have to be some experimental game, even a simple SSX like would stand out from the crowd of all the samey games.

Once there were so many genres out there, now so few, and I'm not gonna get my 3D Mario or OoT fix by playing a kickstarted indie ripoff with $5 budget. It's like when people say current gen music sucks and then get told "go listen indie/underground music" to get their fix, but they'll never even come close to the classics.

Also we need more Sega blue skies games.

Discuss.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah imo tons of variety amongst games with indie games filling up a hole with diff styles and types of games at a decent to good quality. What i do miss however are my boxing games like "Fight Night" I really enjoyed those games.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Nowadays?

That has always been the case

Platforms and bear em ups in the 90's

Shooters in the 00s...

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
need more classic RTSes like Supreme Commander. Where's Chris Taylor?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I don't agree.

- We still have yearly RTS games
- Plenty of fighting titles
- A lot of different side scrollers games with various styles in both visuals and gameplay
- Racing titles are still alive, we have few of them but still kicking
- Action games are making a comeback
- We have a lot of different RPGs

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Directly attacking another member
Nothing to discuss in here.

The quality and quantity of diverse experiences has never been greater.

You are just too stupid to look around, simple as that.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean... you could browse on steam for like 5 minutes and find about any kind of strain of gaming you could possibly imagine. something you couldn't do in "the good ol' days"

if we're talking more mainstream, AAA/AA stuff, i suppose you could argue it's played too safe with market trends. but it's always been that way more or less

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree here, sorry. On the PC at least there is great depth of titles to dabble in if you're willing to look. If you talking strictly AAA then I can see that but you mentioned indies as well and that is not the case as far as I have seen.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
We have more variety than we had last gen.
But that might end soon with all the Battle Royal in everything.
I swear, if Forza 8 has a mode like that and calls it Battle Royal instead of Destruction Derby, i will lose my mind.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Let me tell you a story of a little website called itch.io...

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah man.

This gen is a huge improvement over last gen when Japanese games largely shrunk away. This gen has been viewed as the return of Japanese games.

In addition to that we don't have every company trying to emulate COD this gen. And no, battle royale is not on the same level.

Pretty much every game was shoving in class customisation, a level up system and a multiplayer component into their game. Battle royale hasn't been added to every FPS yet.

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Better than last gen but you are not completely wrong. Feels like 90% of indie game releases are metroidvanias or roguelikes/lites or games with randomized stuff.

AAA open world games feel too samey too.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree at all.

You might need to broaden your horizons and stop looking at what seem to be the most popular titles here.

There's a ton of variety out there, especially on the PC.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...?
There never has been more tbh.
Way better than last gen's shooter craze and love for brown in grey color palettes for sure.

I'm also not a fan of certain trends like Battle Royale or RPG mechanics crammed into games like Assasins Creed or God of War but trends have always been the case and those things come and go.

I dunno man, I'll get my Sekiro, Resident Evil2 and DMC5 fix next year, three entirely different genres. Not even menitoning Nintendo here who always have a wide as hell variety of gameplay offerings out of the necessity to provide most of the mentionable lineup themselves (which also gets better).
This year started off with MonHun World for me which also is something pretty unique, and it will end with RDR2 and Smash Bros, other games in entirely different genres.

I now listed 6 games I have been or will be getting in the near future and they all provide vastly different experiences.
Dunno what to tell you to be honest.
(Hollow Knight also is one of the best games I played in ages, doesn't matter if it's a Metroidvania or not.)
I don't agree at all.

You might need to broaden your horizons and stop looking at what seem to be the most popular titles here.

There's a ton of variety out there, especially on the PC.
Even if you look a the most popular titles the variety is there imo.
Case in point what I've written above.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing to discuss in here.

The quality and quantity of diverse experiences has never been greater.

You are just too stupid to look around, simple as that.

Whew thats a bit harsh lol.

On topic though, OP I feel we have more variety than we ever had. I've been gaming since the late 80s and while certain types of games aren't quite as popular(turn based rpgs for example) it seems as if there are just so msny different types of games out its crazy. There is just too much cool shit coming out and seriously not enough time to experience it all!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's been a lot more time to figure out what sells well and appeals to the mainstream than there was 20 or more years ago. A lot of creativity was born of limitations that just don't exist to the same degree anymore. It sucks that we don't see as many bold risks by AAA studios, but if they can play it safe with projects that are tested and proven likely to generate a profit, they will. I'd personally love something like Katamari Damaci blow me away with its originality again, and there is some innovation to be found in established genres, like DOOM going back to its arcadey, proactive roots, ironically feeling fresher than ever as a result.

Oct 26, 2017
Due to the ability of just about anybody to release a game on some digital platform I'd say variety has never been better.
A lot of genre's seem top be getting rolled into one however, look at the amount of different games classed as rpg's for example.

Aug 29, 2018
uhhhmmm what? Variety is incredible these days, just seems like you personally don't like some of the things that are a little more popular? Japan has made a steady come back, indies are absolutely killing it in plenty of genres not just arthouse/metroidvanias/roguelikes, games as a service whether you like them or not are new and add a lot of options and support to those who like to deep dive on one or two games and that's it, anime fans are getting love and we even got a good fighter in DBFZ, fighting games in general are getting love, CRPGs getting love, Retro games are getting love, Retro inspired games are getting love, turn based strategy games getting love, 3d platformers even getting love, like...what? I mean I could go on.....So much diversity these days

your little thing about not playing indie games because they "are ripoffs with a 5 dollar budget"....your head is up your ass man doesn't mean those games don't exist.... Hollow Knight had less then 400k funding on kickstarter and many think it is one of the best games of this gen, Hat in Time is a perfectly good 3d platformer, but you do you I guess dude -_-

Oct 27, 2017

Because good, unique games fail while people like him complain that there is no variety.

And when you frontload the thread with "variety sucks", do you really think it calls for the careful evaluation of all the different games released recently compared to the past? The arguments presented in the OP are subjective and narrow, there is nothing to discuss if you think that all anime games are the bad ones made by Namco.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the case. Trends shift though and the types of games change. I'm starving for some character action titles, and thank god for DMCV next year. This gen has been much better for me than last at least when we had few fighters, few JRPGs of quality. We did have character action games though.

The Vita I felt was a great handheld because it had a lot of niche unique titles.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The rts genre has somewhat died (But there are plenty of grand strategy, turn based strategy and sim games), there are fewer racing games and sports games have been taken over by license holding juggernauts.

The rest of the genres seem to be doing fine?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I really think there's never been more variety.
^^^^

Complaining about variety in this day and age seems genuinely illogical to me, especially compared to last gen.

"Sony Style" big cinematic games
-"e-sporty" / GAAS games
-RPG-lite games EVERYTHING
-Metroidvanias, Souls likes and indie clones
-shitty anime games farted out by Namco

This covers SOOO many different types of games.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely the case. Trends shift though and the types of games change. I'm starving for some character action titles, and thank god for DMCV next year. This gen has been much better for me than last at least when we had few fighters, few JRPGs of quality. We did have character action games though.

The Vita I felt was a great handheld because it had a lot of niche unique titles.
OP didn't evem mention character action games. Or fighting games. Or a plethora of other genres.
Bayo 3 comes out most likely next year as well.
P5, Xenoblade 2, FFXV, DQ XI and Octopath are all perceived by most people to be JRPGs of quality so...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Have to completely disagree. Gaming has never been more varied or diverse or with such range from weird experimental stuff to huge AAA games

We need more QUALITY turn based strategy games like XCOM.
Quality in what regard? Graphics, budget?

Frozen Synapse 2, Invisible Inc, Into The Breach, Phantom Doctrine, Banner Saga 3, Divinity OS 2, Battletech, Battle Brothers all released in the last year or so

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
If you haven't found enough variety in today's industry then you've clearly either not been looking very hard or have some weirdly selective criteria for what "counts." As others have said, broader trends have always been a thing in not just gaming but any expressive medium, but the platforms we have nowadays for discoverability (and even moreso access to gaming back catalogues for stuff you might've missed) means you really have no excuse if you can't find something that interests you, unless you've just become jaded by video games in general.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Have to completely disagree. Gaming has never been more varied or diverse or with such range from weird experimental stuff to huge AAA games

Quality in what regard? Graphics, budget?

Frozen Synapse 2, Invisible Inc, Into The Breach, Phantom Doctrine, Banner Saga 3, Divinity OS 2, Battletech, Battle Brothers all released in the last year or so

Even Microsoft is making a TBS with Gears Tactics. The genre seems to be thriving at the moment.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every gen has had areas where it's lacking. It's important to no idealize any of them, including the current one.

I do think the current retro craze is too focused on certain types of games, especially platform/adventure games. There are so many styles of the past that aren't being utilized. How hard is it to get a few games in the vein of the 2d Shinobi games? There hasn't been anything close enough since the 3DS Shinobi and that's still polygon. The Messenger is really good but that's much more in Ninja Gaiden's style.

This thread will be full of people saying there's more variety than ever. That being true doesn't mean we can't wish for and benefit from even more variety.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That...sounds like a decent variety of games actually lol? Echoing what others have said, itch.io is a must if you're looking for more innovative approaches.

At the very least, mainstream gaming appeals to me so much more than the mainstream film industry currently (e.g. Marvel movie #5635).