• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Screen_Shot_2021_04_28_at_10.35.29_AM.0.png

Court documents reveal that PlayStation 4 generated 46.8 percent of Fortnite's total revenues from March 2018 through July 2020, while Xbox One, the second-highest platform, generated 27.5 percent. iOS ranked fifth, with just 7 percent of total revenue. The remaining 18.7 percent would have been split between Android, Nintendo Switch, and PCs.

In 2020, iOS revenues were projected to be an even smaller piece of the pie: just 5.8 percent, compared to 24 percent for Xbox One and "almost 40 percent" for PlayStation 4, according to a new deposition (PDF) of Epic Games' David Nikdel, a senior programmer who works on the backend services for Fortnite.

"iOS was always the lowest or second lowest if Android was listed, correct?" lawyers asked Joe Babcock, Epic's CFO until March 2020, in a separate deposition. The answer was yes.

Babcock explicitly confirmed that the iOS version of Fortnite earned less revenue, month to month, than:

• PlayStation 4
  • Xbox (presumably Xbox One)
  • Nintendo Switch
  • PCs

www.theverge.com

Fortnite’s cash cow is PlayStation, not iOS, court documents reveal

Console players bring in a lot of money for Fortnite.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One platform generating pretty much half of the revenue for that time period compared to all those other platforms. damn

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? On first read I thought this was excluding PC, but this includes PC. Pretty crazy.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
In a way it's not surprising considering the 100M+ install base, but on the other... everyone has a smartphone. I would have expected mobile platforms (either iOS or Android) to be #1 by default.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking hell at almost half, thought it'd be either PS4 or PC over the others, with Xbox not too far behind (it's % is really surprising too), but always assumed it'd be fairly close between them all.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't the phone users or the PC players but the Playstation players who were the whales all along!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually curious how many spending players on console also play on mobile.

I could certainly imagine mobile play being more about cramming in a short play session when on the go, and those same users spending when at home on their consoles.

If the mobile version didn't exist, these players might spend less, even if they spend mostly on console.

I'm actually shocked. I thought pc would be higher.
Might be higher if it was on more platforms, especially Steam.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Wow I am shocked the PC revenue is that low in comparison.
People that game on PC spend all of their money on front-end costs (building the damn thing) and then act like we're dead broke when it comes to content purchases.

Source: Me and my infinitely sized library that I barely spent any money on.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Always good info out of these types of cases lol. Hope Epic wins this case.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
In a way it's not surprising considering the 100M+ install base, but on the other... everyone has a smartphone. I would have expected mobile platforms (either iOS or Android) to be #1 by default.

I would assume this is due to console Fortnite players being more willing to spend money. More people are willing to spend money on ios than Android, but even more are willing to spend money on PS4.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Are there lootboxes or gacha mechanics in Fortnite? Or do you buy things directly? Playstation might be smelling blood for one of those elements in their own games.

How does this compare with the overall playerbase do those numbers match up?

Jul 10, 2020
So that explains why Sony is doubling down on the investment in Epic. (JOKE)

But it absolutely makes sense, considering F2P was actually F2P for the longest time on the highest selling console last generation.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Funny what selling alot of consoles can do.

Pretty cool, right?

Its why I will never understand the selling consoles is outdated talk. And this is with all F2P games on PS4 not needing Plus.

There was a reason they never did it for F2P games, because they didnt need to.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
For precedent. That way they could push this onto consoles with a ruling in their favor.

Also its a lot easier to pick a fight with the one thats 7% of your sales as opposed to almost half.

If Sony took the same measures against Epic that Apple did with the start of this kerfuffle that would not be great for them.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Well, now we know this lawsuit isn't really costing Epic all that much. Especially as a large chunk of those iOS players will have migrated to other platforms to play the game.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
TBF, this is revenue right?

I admit I have never played Fortnight but I could imagine that there's a lot of people who play for free on their phone but the people who are inclined to spend money and are really into the game, probably game on something a little more "serious" (at least I have to imagine a tiny phone would be hard to play extensively on). Especially if it skews younger, I could see that's why console outdoes PC. Since more kids probably have consoles than gaming laptops or computers.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I would assume this is due to console Fortnite players being more willing to spend money. More people are willing to spend money on ios than Android, but even more are willing to spend money on PS4.

Mobile gamers spend a fuckton of money on MTX, Fortnite in this case is the exception.

PUBG Mobile printed billions

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Also its a lot easier to pick a fight with the one thats 7% of your sales as opposed to almost half.

If Sony took the same measures against Epic that Apple did with the start of this kerfuffle that would not be great for them.

Exactly. Now we know why Epic has been pushing so hard to say that the console walled gardens are fine, it's just this one they have a problem with. They can't afford to get thrown off of PSN.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I started playing Fortnite last week on Playstation and I've already put about $60 into it. I believe it.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Sony wins because their online was/is free for F2P, and barrier to entry is low. Great idea IMO.

(My brother is a fucking whale though. He has bought so many skins...)

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
For precedent. That way they could push this onto consoles with a ruling in their favor. They can throw away 7% of revenue in hopes to get all of the pie in the 93% without disturbing them directly(ie taking them to court.)
This. Because taking down one walled garden means using the same playbook against others. From Android to the console space.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Honestly, this is where the whole case breaks apart.
Epic wants to increase their share from 70% to 88% when in reality it would only grow the iOS market share for fortnite spendings to 9%. It makes this mountain of an issue that Epic tried to make out of it into something fairly tiny in the grand scheme of things.
That wasn't PlayStation, but other divisions of Sony. Probably to use the Unreal Engine on films and shows.
Actually in the financial webcast earlier today Sony specifically pointed out the Epic Games investment as part of their gaming investments, and explained that it will be utilized for the gaming divsion but did not specify beyond that.