• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Felt that was worth a thread:
While it'll work wirelessly while playing Stadia on a Chromecast Ultra, you'll have to plug in a USB-C cable to use it with computers or phones at launch, Google tells The Verge.

When Google first showed off the controller in March, the company touted how you could seamlessly switch from gaming on your TV to a laptop or phone while using the same exact controller, without having to pair it to each device — because the controller would stay directly connected to Stadia's servers over its own Wi-Fi.

But as 9to5Google spotted earlier today, Google recently added a disclaimer in a new Stadia explainer video that wireless play will only be available on Chromecast Ultra at launch, and a Google community manager on Reddit later confirmed that meant you'll need to break out the USB-C cables for other devices — perhaps because Bluetooth also won't be an option by launch.
I'm sure those people that paid 130$ for their limited edition pad will be happy.

Kill my google service when old.

Oct 30, 2017
Has there been any information about predicted launch numbers? Because this thing is sounding more and more like Ouya and I don't seem to see a bunch of hype surrounding this thing.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's launch an unfinished platform without exclusive games at launch and see how that goes

(Yes it's basically a paid beta launch and I'm excited to try it out but stuff like "how do I play games on different devices" should really be finalised for a damn cloud gaming service when it goes live as a paid product)

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't get it. Surely support for this comes on the device side on the Stadia app. You'll be playing on your account. The controller is clearly already synced to that account, why won't they let you play the games using the controller wirelessly. It's literally no different from playing a game on the chrome cast. Server side should get your controls sent straight to it and they deliver the game to your device, any device..

Oct 29, 2017
Wow! This industry is so fucked up that even controllers are being rushed out incomplete and then patched later!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get it. Surely support for this comes on the device side on the Stadia app. You'll be playing on your account. The controller is clearly already synced to that account, why won't they let you play the games using the controller wirelessly. It's literally no different from playing a game on the chrome cast. Server side should get your controls sent straight to it and they deliver the game to your device, any device..
The device is technically in some server rack, miles away. Controllers are wifi to that base, not to the Chrome cast etc. It's how Google planned it from the off.

Oct 25, 2017
This is really strange. The way it's supposed to work is that the controller is directly connected to Google servers and the device you play on is just used to receive the video stream. There's no reason to limit it to Chromecast.

This should definitely be patched before the free service's release.

May 25, 2019
London
This is so weird because this was a central feature of the Stadia controller - that the controller itself is connected to the Stadia servers and doesn't have to go through your tablet/phone/Chromecast/PC to get there. It's almost like it's not meeting their expectations in testing this late in the game

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Such things will surely get more people into Stadia. Its a smash in the face of early adopters.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is so weird because this was a central feature of the Stadia controller - that the controller itself is connected to the Stadia servers and doesn't have to go through your tablet/phone/Chromecast/PC to get there. It's almost like it's not meeting their expectations in testing this late in the game

Yeah my thoughts exactly

Seems like they arent able to overcome physics here (who knew!)

So even if they did allow it it probably sucks so bad that you would hardwire it anyways

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
There was a thread only last week about how much of a genius idea the WiFi controllers were. And I agreed; they sounded like an intelligent solution, or more of a no-brainer really. I can't think for the life of me why they would be doing anything else.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
If you cant even get the basics right why even bother? The controller is the primary interface how could that part be left till last?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like typical Google lol.

I swear the last 4 years I've seen them announce apps and services left and right and then drop them quick af without much development on their end.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't get it either. Maybe it uses some sort of WiFi communications between chromecast and the controller for synchronization?

The controller is wireless though, just not with phones and PCs. At least not yet, I imagine this is something they can fix via a FW update.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
You can't even play Stadia stuff on other devices until next year right?

So isn't only being able to use the controller cabled to your phone/PC irrelevant at the moment?

I'll just be using mine with my Chromecast Ultra anyway so this news won't bother me, fingers crossed it'll be rectified quickly when Stadia comes to other devices next year.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So not just that the direct-link to servers over wifi isn't working outside the Chromecast, but you won't be able to even wirelessly pair it locally to your other client devices at launch?

(Remind me: are other client devices supported at launch?)

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So not just that the direct-link to servers over wifi isn't working outside the Chromecast, but you won't be able to even wirelessly pair it locally to your other client devices at launch?
Correct, not even bluetooth, as said in the OP.
You'll need to plug in your gamepad to your phone.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Correct, not even bluetooth, as said in the OP.
You'll need to plug in your gamepad to your phone.

The mind boggles - you wouldn't think bluetooth pairing would be a big deal. I presume this will be a software issue that can be fixed with a firmware update to the controller (?) and not a hardware issue with the first batch of controllers?

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The mind boggles - you wouldn't think bluetooth pairing would be a big deal. I presume this will be a software issue that can be fixed with a firmware update to the controller (?) and not a hardware issue with the first batch of controllers?
Yeah, reading the article says they want to focus on TV only for now, so I guess the other configurations/platforms need more QA and they're just disabling it for now.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

(Remind me: are other client devices supported at launch?)

I think the direct-link to the servers isn't working at all, at launch. Otherwise it wouldn't depend on which device is being used to stream the game video stream, would it?

If it needs the Chromecast to "directly connect to Stadia", why couldn't it do that when the device running the 'video downstream' is your phone.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't even play Stadia stuff on other devices until next year right?

So isn't only being able to use the controller cabled to your phone/PC irrelevant at the moment?

I'll just be using mine with my Chromecast Ultra anyway so this news won't bother me, fingers crossed it'll be rectified quickly when Stadia comes to other devices next year.
It's not quite irrelevant. Phones and PCs have different USB ports - a phone is going to have USB-C while most PCs only have USB-A. And on a phone you won't be able to play and charge at the same time.

This is something they really need to fix. There's no reason for this limitation, the end device should just be a simple video-out when a Stadia controller is used.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I think the direct-link to the servers isn't working at all, at launch. Otherwise it wouldn't depend on which device is being used to stream the game video stream, would it?

If it needs the Chromecast to "directly connect to Stadia", why couldn't it do that when the device running the 'video downstream' is your phone.
I am just guessing here but I imagine it's performing some sort of local synchronization with your display device and it can do that with Chromecast because they may have an application for Stadia running on it but doing that via Chrome running on a PC/phone may be more challenging. I doubt it's piggybacking off the Chromecast connection because in that case its direct WiFi connection to servers to reduce latency is kinda useless.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Given how we understand the controller to work, I don't understand why they're limiting it like this at all.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
This is weird. I thought it went:

1. Controller connects through wifi directly to Google's game servers.
  2. You connect with your Stadia App to Google's server on your display device of choice eg phone, laptop, TV.
  3. Google send you the video stream to your device.
There should be no reason for this not to work and need to be wired into the device as technically you could have your game streaming to your phone, laptop, TV all at the same time with the same controller as they are not connected. As long as each device is logged into Stadia you should receive your stream of the game.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I am just guessing here but I imagine it's performing some sort of local synchronization with your display device and it can do that with Chromecast because they may have an application for Stadia running on it but doing that via Chrome running on a PC/phone may be more challenging. I doubt it's piggybacking off the Chromecast connection because in that case its direct WiFi connection to servers to reduce latency is kinda useless.

Hmmm, what kind of 'synchronization' would it need? Deliver the image as fast as possible. There's no "+/-" on input delay, is there? Make it as close to zero as possible, no matter what device is connected.

Cmiiw here.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah, I posted about this in the Stadia launch date thread the other day. It's typical Google: launch a beta, then act surprised when people identify the rough edges.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, what kind of 'synchronization' would it need? Deliver the image as fast as possible. There's no "+/-" on input delay, is there? Make it as close to zero as possible, no matter what device is connected.

Cmiiw here.
Not necessarily frame frame synchronisation (though it could be that) but also maybe it uses the Chromecast app for session setup and as a session anchor point.