• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Source

At 1080p and 60 fps, Doom Eternal worked pretty much flawlessly, and I played it using Google's custom Stadia controller that comes bundled with its Founder's Edition for $130 (with a Chromecast Ultra and three months of service) or sold separately for $69. A Stadia spokesperson later confirmed to The Verge that the server streaming Doom Eternal was a remote one in a Google data center, meaning it was not brought into LA specifically for the event.

For me, the experience was quite impressive. I could not detect any noticeable input lag, and there was no discernible on-screen effects indicating the visuals were being streamed from a cloud server to the Pixelbook, and then from the Pixelbook to the Samsung TV. Granted, I wasn't playing an online game, so there's no telling what types of latency issues you might run into there. But had you not told me I was playing a Doom Eternal streamed over the internet, I wouldn't have been able to tell.

Now, there were a couple issues I encountered. At one point, my Stadia stream stopped receiving inputs from the Stadia controller, leaving my unfortunate Doom Eternal character squashed up against a wall while I got pounded on by angry demons. Instead of rebooting the stream, we just waited for my character to die, unplugged the controller, and re-synced it. I was good to go again in about two to three minutes.

At another point about 25 minutes into the demo, the stream did crash. There was no telling what the culprit was; Google says the platform is about six months out from launch, so it's reasonable to expect some issues while it irons out these kinks. That said, we were up and running again in less a minute after simply reloading the Chrome browser window and resuming full-screen mode.

More at the link. Hoping to get more hands-on impressions like this.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia will be, for the people with the internet speed and data allowance to allow it, more than serviceable. I'm confident in that.

However, there will be a TON of people who will swear up and down, no matter how good the experience is, that it's not good enough. Google will need to do blind Pepsi Taste Tests with this thing, to prove to people that they don't care about the minuscule concessions the way they think they do.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Like any streaming service there will be variable experiences based on a number of factors, good and bad.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Played at E3 under perfect network conditions, no doubt.

In before Google Stadia has a "why would i live there?" moment.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to say 9/10 of you grandstanding over lag have not actually tried streaming. You can only detect so much latency even with your fineley tuned gamer fingers.

Edit: CloseTalker beat me to it

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how long it will last with inputs just dropping out occasionally? Hopefully that gets fixed but the random server crash, or bugs can never be wiped out 100%. Probably not an issue with SP games but people get pissed when they die in a MP game due to lag, imagine how annoyed just because the controller drops sync.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
So it is playable on a controller with vsync on. Good. Now let's compare this to a 1000Mhz polled mouse without vsync. I'm not sure Doom is the obvious choice to demonstrate the tech.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Near flawless is not good enough honestly.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Nah, there will always be more options. Streaming is a very long ways away.
It won't overtake consoles overnight. Baby steps. But it is the future. Its my opinion anyways. Like how netflix destroyed the dvd sales and blu rays sales market to this day. ISP will raise their data caps naturally. I have comcast. It used to be a cap of 100gb than 250gb than 1tb.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, there will always be more options. Streaming is a very long ways away.
What's a "very long way" in your mind? Because the technology has made a ludicrous leap forward in the span of one console generation. I agree that the perfect solution won't come this year, but I don't think we're 10+ years away from this working just as well as local gameplay.

Near flawless is not good enough honestly.

Netflix streaming proves that near flawless is absolutely good enough. Physical blu-rays still blow Netflix quality out of the water from a picture, and especially sound, perspective. But to 97% of people, it just doesn't matter.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
It won't overtake consoles overnight. Baby steps. But it is the future. Its my opinion anyways. Like how netflix destroyed the dvd sales and blu rays sales market to this day. ISP will raise their data caps naturally. I have comcast. It used to be a cap of 100gb than 250gb than 1tb.
Sure but by then it wont be just Xcloud and stadia lol. PS now is a thing.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
PSNow is a joke. I've tried it. Too laggy and too much latency to work properly. That's why Sony is going to azure. To improve their service which need drastic improvements.
You think Psnow will be the same now in 10 years time even usign Azure? LOL we are talking ina future were streaming is the main way to play not today. Ps now works great for many, your experience is not the same as most I know who used it.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
You think Psnow will be the same now in 10 years time even usign Azure? LOL we are talking ina future were streaming is the main way to play not today. Ps now works great for many, your experience is not the same as most I know who used it.
Sony doesn't have the infrastructure. It's common knowledge now. Why do you seem defensive about it. Just facts.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say 9/10 of you grandstanding over lag have not actually tried streaming. You can only detect so much latency even with your fineley tuned gamer fingers.

Edit: CloseTalker beat me to it
Bullshit. Input lag is incredibly noticable. I've tried both PSNow and Project Stream and it stands out like a sore thumb.

Serviceable is the operative word.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia, xCloud, PS Now... streaming is coming faster than you think & I personally think it will be a nice compliment to everyone who doesn't want to buy traditional hardware anymore. No one's life will drastically change because of it & everyone will be able to continue playing games the way they want to for a long time.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Sony will be using Azure....lol. You dont need to build your own infrastructure to have it.
Ill give it another shot in the future if and when Sony improves. Right now PSNow is shit to put it lightly. Sony will use azure for sure. But they will need to build their software on top of it. This is where MS will always have an advantage no matter what. They are building xcloud and azure in tandem together.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Ill give it another shot in the future if and when Sony improves. Right now PSNow is shit to put it lightly. Sony will use azure for sure. But they will need to build their software on top of it. This is where MS will always have an advantage no matter what. They are building xcloud and azure in tandem together.
Sure whatever you say bro...Sony will be more then fine. Why does MS have an advantage with "Software" on top of it? Sony will be building Now with Azure in tandem too, that's how it works lol.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the negativity from some people about this.

I am always excited to try new technology and the promise of being able to truly play almost anywhere is pretty exciting to me.

If it sucks it sucks, but it sounds extremely promised and I am definitely going to give it a try on my average ass internet.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Where I see stadia being awesome is supplimental and portable gaming and convenience

Much like you get with Nintendo switch.

That said ill have to weigh that convenience against the cost. I suppose if you are an Ubisoft plus subscriber combined with free Stadia Base you could in theory play a ton of games both remotely and at home at your whim

Also MMOs see a huge benefit by being able to access you account anywhere and get the benefit of remote and direct play when needed

Not gonna lie... im intrigued by the possibilities

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's a "very long way" in your mind? Because the technology has made a ludicrous leap forward in the span of one console generation. I agree that the perfect solution won't come this year, but I don't think we're 10+ years away from this working just as well as local gameplay.
Streaming will only be ready to become the primary way to play when someone developers faster-than-light communication.

No amount of buzzwords and careful manipulation of previews can change the laws of physics.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The two issues were both pretty major and to me don't make it a "near flawless" experience.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)

I beta tested project stream on a FAST Wi-Fi connection. There was latency, lag, stuttering and artifacting present in my gameplay sessions without a doubt, and that was @ 1080P as well using Chrome on a WIN10 computer. That's not to say it isn't better now, but I am definitely going with the wait and see approach on this one and I can understand the concern.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PSNow is a joke. I've tried it. Too laggy and too much latency to work properly. That's why Sony is going to azure. To improve their service which need drastic improvements.
Your experience says nothing about the service as a whole. Many people have had opposite experiences. Azure/Xcloud/Stadia or otherwise isn't going to magically fix the fact people will have bad experience from time to time depending on their location and other factors. No one streaming service is going to completely fix the latency, image quality,etc issues that stem from not running locally on hardware.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
I beta tested project stream on a FAST Wi-Fi connection. There was latency, lag, stuttering and artifacting present in my gameplay sessions without a doubt, and that was @ 1080P as well using Chrome on a WIN10 computer. That's not to say it isn't better now, but I am definitely going with the wait and see approach on this one.
Yep this...streaming has a ways to go it's why we will be getting hardware for years yet.

Your experience says nothing about the service as a whole. Many people have had opposite experiences. Azure/Xcloud/Stadia or otherwise isn't going to magically fix the fact people will have bad experience from time to time depending on their location and other factors. No one streaming service is going to completely fix the latency, image quality,etc issues that stem from not running locally on hardware.

PSnow also has it's issues but anyone who uses the terms Joke and Shit can be placed on ignore. It's hyperbole.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It seems shocking to me that this can work considering I have gigabit internet with Fios and Chromecast/Netflix often has trouble streaming for me.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Streaming will only be ready to become the primary way to play when someone developers faster-than-light communication.

No amount of buzzwords and careful manipulation of previews can change the laws of physics.

No, because the issue can be combated by simply having greater coverage. You don't need to be "faster than light" if your nearest datacenter is sub-30ms away anyway.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. Input lag is incredibly noticable. I've tried both PSNow and Project Stream and it stands out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, but the idea is this tech is getting better lol. I tried PS Now too, and agree it wasn't good enough. But technology has a way of, you know, improving. That's kind of the whole point.

So many folks here seem to be arguing as if the tech coming out this year is the endgame. It's only going to get better. In all of humanity's vast accomplishments, to think that enjoyable game streaming is the thing we won't be able to crack is kind of hilarious.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Netflix streaming proves that near flawless is absolutely good enough. Physical blu-rays still blow Netflix quality out of the water from a picture, and especially sound, perspective. But to 97% of people, it just doesn't matter.

The two are wholly incomparable! Most people aren't overly fussed about whether Stadia is running at 1080p or 4k, the main issue is latency between user input and the game.

Netflix is an entirely passive experience that's not reliant upon quick inputs by the end user. Gaming is (for the most part) ENTIRELY dependent upon fast, continuous, reactive inputs.

Press play on a Netflix stream and no-one will care if it takes a second or two to actually start. Do that with a game and you'll be out of business in a week.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

I can feel it, too. Im not going to hardline about it just because its non-zero. It really is no worse than a slowish display, which it has been compared to recently. Wouldnt play a fighting game on it but almost everything else would be whatever.

We're going to see some pepsi challenge setups in the near future so we'll see.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Of course streaming won't ever be perfect. But today streaming works best with those that have the infrastructure. That's what I'm saying.

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't bother with him, his post history says it all

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Near flawless with multiple drops...

Wake me when I can play an online competitive game at no disadvantage. Until then, I sleep.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
What's the point, it better be "near flawless" when it's a demo. The main issue is to know how flawless it will be when millions of people will use it at the same time.