• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I did say "openly," huh. I meant to say "accidentally." My bad on that but I do stand by the sentiment that people here wishing them grief over the video should've been a little more cognizant of what we all knew was going to happen.
So everyone should have just ignored it? Nobody here wishes them them grief.

Once again, we'd ask for you to name those people.

Jrs3000

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I'm late catching this but it was a horrible ill-informed video that I'm glad was taken down. I thought it was a joke at first but this guy is serious. They need to make sure they learn before hand and do a proper video.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, is that what the rubber stands are for below the PSU? fuck, I need to rebuild my PC.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Racist comments? Targeted harassment campaign?

tumblr_ny9uuh854O1use6ffo1_500.jpg

I feel like a number of people in here openly enabled this, too. Do better?

That's a really serious accusation. I read thru 10 pages of comments and didn't see any.

Please quote the people who "openly enabled this".

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Sure, there's elitism in the PC community for sure, but a major tech journalism site shouldn't be giving explicitly bad advice in a video. At least when someone like Giant Bomb make a "let's build a PC" video they acknowledge that they don't know much and they turn that into comedy instead.

Their earlier tutorial, though dated, covers everything the novice PC builder needs to know:

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Pretty sad that it took that long to take the video down, but at least they did the right thing, albeit kicking and screaming.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So, did we ever come to a conclusion on what the "best" way to apply thermal paste is? I've heard it's either "draw a tiny X" or "a dot", and either works fine. But, does one work better than the other?
After watching this Imma try what I'm gonna call the Snake method of applying paste whenever I build a new PC.

"Minor factual errors" and then deflecting to whatever assholes came out and away from the fact that they put up a video that looked like satire but wasn't and if people followed it could've potentially ruined their newly bought components.

When did the Verge become so shitty?

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
They really dont want to admit they were wrong huh?

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
The dude seems super unapologetic

Yea he is under the thumb of verge so their fault too but damn

And shite son it don't matter if u did that shit offscreen the shitty tutorial video is still there

Glad the video was pulled

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pc gamers are the worst.
What's your issue with PC gamers specifically and how does the video or this thread relate to it?

You should probably read the thread, and the room. These drive-by shitposts make the person who posts them look worse than the boogeyman they're trying to take down and the people they generalize.

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
So the guy that hosted the video says they didn't let him reshoot it, and basically admits that what's shown in the video is wrong (RAM in the wrong slot, PSU backwards, etc.), but that AFTER the video was shot, he corrected the mistakes and the PC works fine. Not once did he stop and think showing these things wrong in the final edit defeated the entire purpose of the video itself.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the Science Studio video on this yesterday and laughed along like everybody else, but all these other tech youtubers jumping on the bandwagon leaves a rather bad taste in my mouth.

But I suppose anything that gets clicks.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Was Greg even the first to do a reaction video for this, though?
I don't know whether he was the first to notice, but his video was indeed published before Kyle's.

I just did a search for "Verge PC build reactions" on Youtube, and got back a deluge of identikit videos from guys I mostly haven't heard of (but a few I have like Brian from YesTECHcity).

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
So the guy that hosted the video says they didn't let him reshoot it, and basically admits that what's shown in the video is wrong (RAM in the wrong slot, PSU backwards, etc.), but that AFTER the video was shot, he corrected the mistakes and the PC works fine. Not once did he stop and think showing these things wrong in the final edit defeated the entire purpose of the video itself.
His editor's an idiot apparently.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
After all of this, I am just surprised Patel was still with the verge. I thought he had left a while back. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why the CPU cooler doesn't have all the screws in it. That just seems so basic.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I watched the Science Studio video on this yesterday and laughed along like everybody else, but all these other tech youtubers jumping on the bandwagon leaves a rather bad taste in my mouth.

To me, the most serious and most informative video was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvLSpjHay38

No laughing, not just reacting, but simply telling why something is wrong and telling people the right way to do it.
His video is ten times more informative than that of the Verge, and the Verge should really just stop pretending they're knowledgable in any way about this stuff.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This whole thing was a shit show. Glad the video has been pulled, at least, since it was bad info.

Yeah, reaction videos like that make my blood boil especially when they insert like four ads within a 10 minute video.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017

I felt the same honestly... but Bitwit's video had me in stitches... easily the best reaction vid lmao :D

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The cable management makes me wanna die inside. How is that thing not on fire.

Not sure if serious but I'll respond anyway. While it's ugly to look at the amount of cables pictured are relatively minor, certainly not enough to impede airflow and generate enough latent heat to start a fire.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
"Minor factual errors" Why is it so hard for people to own up to their mistakes these days? And sparing two sentences and then backstepping into some victim statement just makes the whole thing stink more than it should.