• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
To be completely honest, this thread and that video comes off as incredibly elitist. This is the side of PC gaming/building that I don't like at all, speaking as someone who primarily games on the PC.
No it's not elitist. If the verge would have taken the video down and apologized and they still made this video then yes. But the verge literally turned off comments and kept it up. So now people can't even see that video is incorrect. That's irresponsible and they should be shamed for that . That's not elitist

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
To be completely honest, this thread and that video comes off as incredibly elitist. This is the side of PC gaming/building that I don't like at all, speaking as someone who primarily games on the PC.

Literally the rhetoric that Trump fans use to defend Trump. It is not elitist to have quality, or merit, or correctness. It is not elitist to desire such qualities.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Now the internet will MAKE SURE everyone remember this video. Good job Verge!

Meanwhile at Verge HQ....

Last edited:

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The Verge is now playing the victim in all this.

https://twitter.com/ScienceStudioYT/status/1096466402758877186?s=19
Link to article in the tweet.
Those two reaction videos used 90 percent of our footage without any edits, cuts, or otherwise transformative use, and one of them in particular featured what our legal team felt was a pretty racist character. Our legal team felt this was not fair use, and issued a copyright strike request to YouTube for those two videos. A number of other very critical videos were not responded to in any way.

When this was brought to my attention a few hours later, I told them that although I fully agreed with their legal argument, I did not think we should use copyright strikes against legitimate channels even if we thought the videos crossed the line. (And again, I fully agree with our legal team that these videos crossed the line of fair use.)

The Verge's YouTube channel has since been brigaded with dislikes and nasty comments, and there are now death threats we have to think about. Here's one:
For reference the comment says "Good luck staying alive. The internet doesn't forget."

Which is clearly directed at the Verge as a channel, not as a death threat.

Oct 27, 2017
ironic he claims this could all have been avoided if the youtubers reached out to him, yet is completely fine with issuing takedowns to channels without reaching out to them first.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, let's use death threats as a defence.
Yeah, it's idiotic that people are using death threats, but come on.
They even tried to play the racist card.

Just don't release an how to build a pc video if you don't know how to build a pc.
It's so sad and stupid that they are not able to admit the fact that they were wrong.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Steve Burke of GamersNexus did a video on it. His main take is to point out the hypocrisy of the takedown, given Vox outlets prior condemnation of the approach, e.g in The Verge articles.

Also:

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/15/18226105/a-note-about-youtube-copyright-strikes-from-vox-media

Those two reaction videos used 90 percent of our footage without any edits, cuts, or otherwise transformative use, and one of them in particular featured what our legal team felt was a pretty racist character. Our legal team felt this was not fair use, and issued a copyright strike request to YouTube for those two videos.

YouTube agreed the videos were not fair use, and issued the strikes.

The Verge took down both videos because one of them was racists in their eyes, YT agreed with them about both vids not being fair use, but The Verge let it go because their Editor in chief (Nilay Patel) is a good person.
So many lies and so much spinning in the article.

/facepalm

Oct 29, 2017
I can believe that the guy from the Verge that gave a response didn't know the copyright strikes happened until after someone else had done it. But trying to paint himself as a good Samaritan who is doing YouTubers a favor is a bit too much.

Last edited:

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The copyright strike thing is pretty lame, but I'm not really enraged by the whole video or his post 'elitist' comments on it.

It's a fact that he was crucified for building his first PC and just not knowing what he was doing, it was a trash reaction at large from what it is indeed an elitist community at times. They couldn't just leave a comment normally correcting or helping making it better? Everyone really had to make a large-scale bullying campaign against the dude with all the reaction videos? Seems super stupid to me.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The copyright strike thing is pretty lame, but I'm not really enraged by the whole video or his post 'elitist' comments on it.

It's a fact that he was crucified for building his first PC and just not knowing what he was doing, it was a trash reaction at large from what it is indeed an elitist community at times. They couldn't just leave a comment normally correcting or helping making it better? Everyone really had to make a large-scale bullying campaign against the dude with all the reaction videos? Seems super stupid to me.

If you are
  • a big well known entity (✔)
  • then proceed to put up a "How to do X" video (✔)
  • and you do a really terrible job at doing X in said video (✔✔✔),
then yes, people will indeed make fun of you.

I know, what a cruel and harsh world we live in. And there was also no other way that The Verge could have reacted, like actually inviting some of the more productive channels (which still had a mocking tone, but also explained to people without parody why the dumb shit in that video is dumb) and making a proper How To Video.

But nope, instead The Verge is being dicks abusing DMCA, and then have to write an article explaining how they are helping the world, and really they are such a terrible victim in all this. Brouhaha.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of exactly what happened here. This apparently wasn't his first PC, and the Verge seeing that it is a tech site, absolutely should know better than to put out that garbage video with instructions that could damage someone's PC.

There was no "large-scale bullying campaign." There were videos justifiably pointing out all the errors in their build.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fact that he was crucified for building his first PC and just not knowing what he was doing,

That was never the problem. The problem was a channel with 2kk subscribers posting a "how to" video, that was plain wrong and not just badly executed. Following the verges advice would have resulted in your system running significantly slower, the information given in that video was miss-informative, badly researched, false. In every kind of way: It was bad advice and not just "not done to PC master race standards".
Also, apparently LTT (for example) reached out to them (to help them out and make a proper pc building video together). The verge just didn't care.
https://youtu.be/Zzu1-VM7y6g?t=526

The bad things they did (out of memory):

- Putting your PSU fans inwards the case will results in overheating. People often "cheap out" and buy less good PSUs that need active cooling. This can result in your PSU not being able to provide enough power to your system or even in permanent damage to the unite.
-Double Data Rate Synchronous RAM (DDR 4...) is supposed to be run in a dual channel configuration. Putting your 2 sticks right next to each other is false on 99% of consumer mainboards. They don't run in dual channel configuration this way and will cost you a significant amount of CPU performance.
-It does matter which slot you use for your GPU, especially when using a NVMe drive like the verge did. Some slots share lanes with the drive and using the wrong one will make the GPU use fewer lanes than wanted. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.
-The amount of thermal paste they applied will result in higher CPU temperatures and worse boost behavior.

Things that were just cringe worthy:

-You need a table to build a PC.
-Use of a swiss army knife.
-Yes, we have one of those hexa cores Intel CPUs. What's so special about this? Everybody can buy them the verge, using your companies CC makes it especially easy.
-The use of an anti static bracelet without a grounding wire is nonsense.
-The Terminology. You can expect a Journalist to do some basic research before talking about things.

Last edited:

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
If that video's purpose was to be informative, then they did absolutely fucking awful job at it and has every right to be called out by people for that. It seems like The Verge just can't handle criticisms well.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'm torn on this. The video that Verge released was indeed without a doubt awful and flagging people is a big no no but at the same time, some of the people that responded were also pretty bad and took it too far. ReviewTech is a homophobic piece of shit so i can't get upset seeing him get flagged. I've also personally witnessed people calling the dude in the Verge video the n word on Twitter so the claim of racism isn't that far off even if the way they used it to justify flagging a channel was scummy. That said, The Verge bringing attention to itself by doing this flagging shit when this whole feud had died for months was also incredibly dumb. Just a bad situation all around.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm torn on this. The video that Verge released was indeed without a doubt awful and flagging people is a big no no but at the same time, some of the people that responded were also pretty bad and took it too far. ReviewTech is a homophobic piece of shit so i can't get upset seeing him get flagged. I've also personally witnessed people calling the dude in the Verge video the n word on Twitter so the claim of racism isn't that far off even if the way they used it to justify flagging a channel was scummy. That said, The Verge bringing attention to itself by doing this flagging shit when this whole feud had died for months was also incredibly dumb. Just a bad situation all around.
Wait, why are you basing your assessment off of how you feel about the people personally, and not the actual facts of the matter? Regardless of what you feel about the parties involved this was still an improper abuse of the Youtube copywrite strike process and a horrible handling of the fallout of the video.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Wait, why are you basing your assessment off of how you feel about the people personally, and not the actual facts of the matter? Regardless of what you feel about the parties involved this was still an improper abuse of the Youtube copywrite strike process and a horrible handling of the fallout of the video.
Yes i agree this was a horrible way for Verge to go about it, i just can also sympathize with them a bit after seeing some responses to the Verge on places like Twitter that ventured into racism and called the guy on the video slurs. It doesn't excuse what they done of course.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
The video is terrible and should be taken down. People will damage parts if they follow this.