• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Why are you guys talking about airflow with those cables ? That won't hurt the temps in any meaningful way. The case fans are just moving air in and out. Not directly cooling any hardware.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
What is he talking about? The RAM sticks are still in the wrong slots at the end of the video. You may have changed it afterwards, but this is what you're presenting to your audience.

I think he means after the video. Here is a picture with the RTX 2080 inside it:
DnJ9JDkU4AA1zoY.jpg

Hard to tell, but it's still not really an improvement.

That's a PC made for cooking. You drop eggs inside, play some game for 10 minutes, and done, you have perfectly soft boiled eggs.

If only I could point my GPU exhasut inwards. I bet I could cook some very good steak. :P

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I've been building systems for over 15 years now. I have never watched someone fuck up a build as much as that guy did. And it's on a massive channel like The Verge, not some little kid who just started their channel. That's insane. Remove the video and if you still want to have the "tutorial' up there, reshoot it.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, did we ever come to a conclusion on what the "best" way to apply thermal paste is? I've heard it's either "draw a tiny X" or "a dot", and either works fine. But, does one work better than the other?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So, did we ever come to a conclusion on what the "best" way to apply thermal paste is? I've heard it's either "draw a tiny X" or "a dot", and either works fine. But, does one work better than the other?

I tried doing the X method once but ended up overdoing it. Pea method seems like the most surefire way of getting solid coverage. Though I'm gonna go for that thermal strip thing for my next build.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
3lWLLf1.gif

Plus the pressure that you get when you fasten the cooler in place is much greater than this dude pushing down a piece of plastic, so you'll get excellent coverage with just a pea.

Oct 25, 2017
No reason to spread anything out manually. Just put a small dab in the middle and you're done. Anything else is waaaaaay overcomplicating it for no reason.

lol If you're that precise with your thermal paste application you're probably not watching any of these instructional videos :P

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The tone of this is just.. the reason why I bought a pre-built a few months ago. I love PC gaming and hardware. Always have since a kid and recently visited the Computer History Museum in Sunnyvale and Living Computers in Seattle yesterday, and those places were awesome, but the elitism from PC gamers/builders online and in person is the fucking worst and annoying.
Wanting people who don't know better to not short out their mobos due to conductive thermal paste potentially spilling out on the sides due to an awful instructional video posted on one of the largest tech publications out there is elitist? No, my friend. Laughing about it and hoping people do just that would be elitist. Exposing the low quality of this video and putting out a PSA to warn people not to follow it is the literal opposite.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Wanting people who don't know better to not short out their mobos due to conductive thermal paste potentially spilling out on the sides due to an awful instructional video posted on one of the largest tech publications out there is elitist? No, my friend. Laughing about it and hoping people do just that would be elitist. Exposing the low quality of this video and putting out a PSA to warn people not to follow it is the literal opposite.

It is not worth it. The only thing this thread has shown is that anyone that feels the video is bad is an elitist jerk and everyone else thinks its fine.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
There'a a reason I buy a nice custom build pc these days a I am clumsy idiot when building PC's , I don't mind upgrading GPU or Ram. My old pc is playing up which I have given to my mum/nephew but getting them to buy a new base unit is painful even they use it daily.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
When I used thermal paste it was always arctic silver, which is conductive.

From what I understand, it's good to be a bit generous with non conductive paste for GPUs because the full gpu dye needs to be cooled, while a normal cpu has a integrated heat spreader so its actual dye is much smaller. A GPU is also fixed to the pcb so there are no spaces under it for the paste to run off to like a cpu socket. Overflowing paste on a cpu could be a problem to clean unlike a gpu.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
There'a a reason I buy a nice custom build pc these days a I am clumsy idiot when building PC's , I don't mind upgrading GPU or Ram. My old pc is playing up which I have given to my mum/nephew but getting them to buy a new base unit is painful even they use it daily.
Honestly building a computer doesn't have to be that scary. Again, check out this JayzTwoCents video where he intentionally does everything wrong (and still puts together a better build than the Verge).

i20bot

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He got some fast 2666mhz ram but he stuck one in the wrong slot so he's only gonna get half that, lol.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
hooh boy. lots of good content to trawl through in this thread. Can't wait to go through it all.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The tone of this is just.. the reason why I bought a pre-built a few months ago. I love PC gaming and hardware. Always have since a kid and recently visited the Computer History Museum in Sunnyvale and Living Computers in Seattle yesterday, and those places were awesome, but the elitism from PC gamers/builders online and in person is the fucking worst and annoying.
How is criticizing a tutorial video filled with faults in any way elitist?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Elitist would be criticizing that they didn't use water cooling or overclock the cpu and gpu. Asking to put ram in the correct spots and not put too much thermal paste is just asking for the bare minimum.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think pointing out factually incorrect information is not elitist it's informative. If you're just starting out trying to build a PC, you should know that certain things were not done correctly. That's not elitist.

TGM3

Oct 26, 2017

If there's anything to take away from all this it's that even if you manhandle your parts and do insanely stupid things like put the fan mounting screws the whole way through your CPU radiator, your PC will very likely still boot and run without issues. Obviously you shouldn't do these things but it shows how simple and painless PC building is these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, good on The Verge. Hope they come back with a better researched video. Fuck anyone who turned this into any form of harassment campaign, if that happened (I don't follow social media aside from what is posted on Era.)

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Holy hell, I'm surprised that PC managed to POST.

The amount of mistakes made were horrendous!

To be completely honest, this thread and that video comes off as incredibly elitist. This is the side of PC gaming/building that I don't like at all, speaking as someone who primarily games on the PC.

This has nothing to do with elitism. It's all about serious mistakes being made, lack of informed oversight and the potential for viewers to fry their system.

OP
OP
RadioactiveLobster
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nice to see it finally got pulled down. Took'em way too long to do it though.

There was nothing "minor" about the factual errors and misleading information but at this point, no sense arguing further about it.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Inflammatory Generalization
Racist comments? Targeted harassment campaign?

tumblr_ny9uuh854O1use6ffo1_500.jpg

I feel like a number of people in here openly enabled this, too. Do better?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the original Verge video last week and honestly thought it was a parody video, wasn't really clear on what it was parodying but just thought "huh thats kinda funny but weird".

Its really bizarre the Verge approved and posted it though, they seem to have always been pretty decent on tech coverage during CES but I guess maybe PC building is a blind spot.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
what happens if you put too much thermal paste and it spills over the edge?
Nothing, unless the paste is electrically conductive. You only need a pea size drop in the middle. The paste is only there to fill the air gap between the cooler and CPU. Adding a ton of paste will just get squeezed out the side and make a mess on the motherboard.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not populating the motherboard before dropping it into the case, they're lucky this thing works, easily could have bent the wrong CPU socket pin and it would have been game over.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

pic_disp.php

From: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

Basically, it makes virtually no difference. The variation is small enough that it may well just be random chance.

Amusingly, drawing a smiley face was among the "better" results.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Who in here openly enabled that? None of the comments in this thread were racist or hate based.

I did say "openly," huh. I meant to say "accidentally." My bad on that but I do stand by the sentiment that people here wishing them grief over the video should've been a little more cognizant of what we all knew was going to happen.