• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
www.theverge.com

LG considers exiting smartphones in 2021

LG had been trying to make its smartphone business profitable
LG is considering exiting the smartphone market in 2021. After losing around $4.5 billion over the past five years, LG's smartphone business has been struggling to compete with rivals. Now LG CEO Kwon Bong-seok has notified employees that the company is considering making big changes to its smartphone business.

The Korea Herald reports that Kwon Bong-seok sent out an internal memo to staff on Wednesday, hinting at a change in direction for LG's phone business. "Since the competition in the global market for mobile devices is getting fiercer, it is about time for LG to make a cold judgment and the best choice," says an LG official in a statement to The Korea Herald. "The company is considering all possible measures, including sale, withdrawal and downsizing of the smartphone business."

LG confirmed the internal memo was genuine in a statement to The Verge, noting that nothing has been decided yet. "LG Electronics management is committed to making whatever decision is necessary to resolve its mobile business challenges in 2021," says an LG spokesperson. "As of today, nothing has been finalized."

This new internal memo follows a now-deleted report from Korean outlet TheElec earlier this month that claimed LG was planning to exit the smartphone business. LG branded that report "completely false and without merit," in a statement to Android Police just a week ago.

LG has previously promised "wow factors" to try and attract consumers and make its flagging mobile division profitable. LG has tried multiple times with the G7, the V40, the G8, and the V50 to compete with Samsung and Huawei, but it's not been enough to push its market share in the right direction. LG's latest Velvet and Wing smartphones have attempted to try something new, but neither were well received.

Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi, Vivo, and Apple all continue to dominate worldwide smartphone shipments, according to IDC. LG is now turning its focus to its Rollable phone, in an effort to differentiate it from the competition. LG teased the Rollable device again at the Consumer Electronics Show last week, with a "unique resizable screen" that extends from a phone to become a small tablet display.

LG has promised its Rollable device is real and will launch in 2021, but with the company reconsidering its mobile plans it could be one of the last LG phones we'll see.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I love LG Smartphones! They're the only brand that takes Smartphone Audio seriously, and their pricing is always reasonable. I can usually grab their new phones with most of the bells and whistles that are needed for around 500-700$ CDN (like my new LG Velvet!). Meanwhile Samsung and most of the other Android brands love charging laptop/desktop-esque prices (1000$+ unless I want to buy from a sketchy buyer).

I'll miss them. We need more affordable phone choices. Not everyone wants to/ can afford to drop 2k on a new cell phone.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of my favorite phones was the LG G3. shame they might be bowing out, but it's really not surprising

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
It had 4% market share in Dec 2020 and the next closest was Samsung with 24%.

this is probably long overdue for them.

rip to the LG Chocolate though

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, while not buying them, I think it would be pretty damn nice if Google had a Pixel off-shoot brand with LG being the hardware maker of them.

I know they did previously with the Nexus 5X, but still, they should.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I love my LG G6 (and the G2 before it) These phones also lasted much longer than others I've tried.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense,.they are irrelevant and caught in the middle between Apple/Samsung and cheap/powerful chinese phones.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
they never got over the boot loop stuff. After 2 G4 die on me, it will take a lot of convincing for me to go back to LG

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I read this and was disappointed. They're the only big name left not making numerous, terrible compromises chasing Apple. I had an LG G6, then got a G8 and I'm liking it still. Nobody else can match the features LG phones have.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a few LGs (G2, V20, V30, G8), and I've loved them all. I'll be sad if they dip from the market - they were the last of the original Android OEMs still doing devices without compromise on features and ports. Maybe they get bought by someone else that can leverage what they do well and then bypass the bad stuff (buggy OS implementation, slow/poor updates, etc)?

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame. I don't buy from them so I guess that's part of the reason, but losing another option besides Samsung and chinese phones is just bad. I don't plan on getting either of those so my android options are ever so limited here.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
That sucks. I love my LG G6 (and the G2 before it) These phones also lasted much longer than others I've tried.

funny, because I had a G3 and it's the phone that has lasted the least of all the ones I've had :P

Still, I liked it. It's a shame the audio started to have issues a year and a half after I got it, then after a week those issues appeared the audio was almost gone and then a week after that the phone refused to start. But before that happened (which really caught me by surprise) I enjoyed the phone a lot. Beautiful design too.

EDIT: And, as a counterpoint, their TVs have never given my family major issues. The only one that did was after, I dunno, 6 or 7 years of use.

Last edited:

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Every LG phone I've had has given me multiple problems. Can't say I'd ever buy another phone from them.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because of the chinese brands going worldwide and eating up marketshare.

You hate to see it tho, LG had some good phones. If the boot loop shit never happened I would probably own an LG phone now tbh.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
My only experience with an LG phone (except from a pre-smartphone device) was with the Nexus 5X, which I loved until it bootlooped on me. Thankfully I read about the issues and backed up my phone about a week before that happened!

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Both my previous LG phones got stuck in boot loops with no fix. LG's quality was trash for a long time and they had no interest in fixing these known issues because they move straight onto the next one.

Certainly ensured I'd not be buying their phones again so can't say I'm surprised the wider market has also shrugged them off

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
LG enV was probably the best phone I''ve ever owned. Still miss that thing.

Haven't tried any of their smartphones but this is no surprise.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly didn't know they still made phones. Do they sell them in the UK? I haven't seen an LG phone since flip phones.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Every LG phone I've had has given me multiple problems. Can't say I'd ever buy another phone from them.
The enV2 I owned died in 9 months. The G2 I had later ended up with a bad usb port after a little more of a year. My pixel 2xl? going on strong at three years with no issues other than needing a battery replacement.

LG had shit phones.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017

I love LG Smartphones! They're the only brand that takes Smartphone Audio seriously, and their pricing is always reasonable. I can usually grab their new phones with most of the bells and whistles that are needed for around 500-700$ CDN (like my new LG Velvet!). Meanwhile Samsung and most of the other Android brands love charging laptop/desktop-esque prices (1000$+ unless I want to buy from a sketchy buyer).

I'll miss them. We need more affordable phone choices. Not everyone wants to/ can afford to drop 2k on a new cell phone.

The problem is that competition is fierce at the lower end of the market. Motorola seems to come out with a new variety of phone every month, Google has its own range of lower-priced Android phones (as does Samsung), and OnePlus is moving towards that market as well, as is Apple.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest flaw of LG was their piss-poor update policies. They just needed to address that one thing to get enthusiasts and reviewers to recommend them to the mainstream. And yet, up until the end they refused, which is why enthusiasts and reviewers actively recommended mainstream audiences not to get LG flagships. I loved my v20 for a time, but swore to never get another LG phone as time went on but expected updates came a year after its peers.

Less competition is always terrible, and they are one of the few holdouts of the headphone jack. But if this comes to pass they only have themselves to blame.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
The Android low-mid budget segment is dominated by chinese manufacturers and in the high end Samsung reigns supreme,i am surprised LG-Sony-Google want to compete tbh

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The LG G2 is still the most impressed I've been with a new phone. The screen-to-size ratio at the time was amazing and it had a gorgeous display. I'd probably still buy their phones if they just loaded them with pure Android instead of skinning it.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Man I love LG phones. They are great phones and nobody buys them so if you wait like 3-6 months, you can get a flagship for peanuts.

Had a Nexus 4, G6 and currently rocking a G8.

R2RD

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 6, 2018
I hope we at least can get a v70 this year. LG is one of the few companies still putting the 3.5 mm jack in their phones. I bought the V50 just for the audio quality.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
The Android market worldwide is so saturated right now.You can find in the 200-300 euro/dollar range chinese phones with 5g,amoled screens,6-8 gb ram,big batteries,upper-middle socs,decent cameras,again companies like lg,sony just cant compete.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Well, if they considering it - this leaking kinda forces their hand. As if it's known they don't have confidence to stay in the market, it would likely dissuade customers.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Honestly, It makes a little sense since my last phone was an LG and it was for some reason hard as hell to find accessories for it while Apple and Samsung phone addons were everywhere.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Now the only good Android phones besides the chinese branded phones are Sony's with the Xperia 1 series. Google is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of hardware, etc. while Samsung is chasing Apple on cutting off features.

So now, it's either the Xperia 1 III or the iPhone 13 Pro/iPhone 13 Pro Max for me.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
My last LG cell

s-l640.jpg

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a rough industry. I have no idea why Sony is still in it, either.

It's gonna be like 3-4 players in a few years.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Essentially what I was going to post. The only problem I ever had was awful security update support... otherwise I loved my G7...

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Well fuck. My LG V30 is still going strong, I was hoping to upgrade sometime next year. If LG is leaving, then I may switch to iPhone. I hate Samsung's phones and Pixel doesn't have the features I want. I stayed with LG mostly because of how close they were to stock Android.