• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft has completely pulled back on plans to support virtual reality headsets on the Xbox. In an interview with Gamesindustry.biz, Microsoft's chief marketing officer of gaming Mike Nichols said that "we don't have any plans specific to Xbox consoles in virtual reality or mixed reality." Nichols goes on to say that the PC is "probably the best platform" for virtual and mixed reality, and that for the Xbox, "our focus is primarily on experiences you would play on your TV."

This basically completes the slow decay of Microsoft's console VR plans, at least for now. In 2016, Xbox chief Phil Spencer said that the upcoming Project Scorpio console would support "high-end VR" like that available on Windows PCs. Since Microsoft had previously partnered with Oculus to support Xbox controllers on the Oculus Rift, there was widespread speculation that Scorpio might work with the Rift as well.

This never happened, but later that year, Microsoft announced an entire line of VR headsets — and a few months after that, it said that mixed reality content would be coming to Xbox devices in 2018. However, at last year's E3, Spencer was substantially less enthusiastic. He told Road to VR that although he was "long-term bullish" on VR, it wasn't ready to come to Xbox yet, and the market was "years away." Now, Nichols is barely even expressing interest in the platform.

Spencer described an "over-exuberance" in Microsoft's early VR plans, and the market has definitely grown more slowly than many imagined. However, Microsoft's competitor Sony has done reasonably well with its PlayStation VR headset, and Microsoft has gone forward with several PC VR headsets alongside partners like Samsung and Acer. Microsoft is still trying to shore up the Xbox One's shaky position, though, in part because it overemphasized selling the Kinect motion controller early on. It's not surprising to see the company's Xbox VR plans slip away — especially since it's largely focusing on business uses for its mixed reality headsets.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/20/...headset-support-windows-mixed-reality-e3-2018

So, will we see VR in the next box?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
One more reason to stay mainly on PlayStation for me.
I am curious how VR will be handled next gen.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was saying it was bullshit from the start once they started talking about VR but at no point offered anything tangible to back up what they promised was coming. It's "The Cloud" all over again.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Smart decision, the wave has come and gone. I expect PSVR to be Vita'd within 2 years.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Kinda obvious from the lack of info and I don't mind this move, they should wait till next gen when they will have a more powerful console and VR tech has matured more. However it sucks for those who bought the X1X thinking they would get VR at some point.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft unwilling to take risks again, shame this was one of the reasons I bought xbox x (love my PSVR) a more powerful VR console could of helped push the medium forward quicker.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's disappointing but understandble. The market isn't ready

Btw wtf happened to Hololens???????????s

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Its clear that when Phil was promoted and moved out from under the Windows group he decided to slow down Windows Mixed Reality to consoles.

VR is still in the rapid innovation stage of development. PC is the best place for them to iterate on it quickly.

Next Xbox sounds more likely for Windows Mixed Reality coming to a Microsoft console. More powerful hardware, wireless headsets, more standardized controls, better inside out tracking, cheaper tech and a more mature software market.

They are still VERY much into VR and AR, just waiting on consoles for now, which is fine. Hololens 2 is rumored for next year with a announcement late this year, wonder if we will see more VR headsets from OEMs around that time (as well as AR OEM headsets, but gaming isn't the primary use case for those).

Anyway, its still the early days. Think the late 80s early 90s with 3D gaming on PC.

And btw, shitty headline by the Verge.

(I also can't wait to read all of the hot-take "VR is dead" comments in this thread. /grabs popcorn)

Last edited:

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't buy my X for VR but it was a nice thought, I would have liked it so this news saddens me a bit.

Maybe next gen, depending on the VR market...

Microsoft unwilling to take risks again, shame this was one of the reasons I bought xbox x (love my PSVR) a more powerful VR console could of helped push the medium forward quicker.

It is a shame but if it was a choice between investing in studios or risking VR, I think they made the right choice.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Interesting decision although not surprising coming from them.

Let's see how it pays off.
It may be good for them to focus on the box itself, but they are still leaving a submarket untouched.
We'll find out if they were right or wrong during next gen.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017

V2 being announced soon I think?

This is good and bad.

Bad: another first party investing in content can minimise risk for devs, gives players options.

Good: ms should be focusing on core content at the moment, lessens fragmentation on a market that is growing slower than expected.

I think it's the right choice for ms right now but they should partner with oculus or vive for next gen Xbox. Things might be a bit different in a couple of years

May 4, 2018
Can you remind me when they promised VR? Because I don't recall them ever saying anything.

There were vague promises (like in the OP) about VR support, but there was never anything that remotely resembled an actual commitment on their part. They wouldn't comment on basic information like whether they would support Oculus, their own mixed VR headset, or if the headset would be proprietary to Xbox.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
It's also about how VR hasn't taken off, and how it's been stagnant on the PS4. Sony is still invested in it. Might pay off if VR ever gets big down the road.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
Smart move. Maybe they'll reconsider if VR takes off in a few more years when it's more accessible.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
There were vague promises (like in the OP) about VR support, but there was never anything that remotely resembled an actual commitment on their part. They wouldn't comment on basic information like whether they would support Oculus, their own mixed VR headset, or if the headset would be proprietary to Xbox.
"The next-step change for gamers and developer MUST deliver TRUE 4K gaming and high-fidelity VR." - Phil Spencer Project Scorpio Reveal

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Hololens 2 is rumored for next year.

They really didn't have much competition with the original Hololens, don't think there is even a headset out now that can do what it can, and that was unveiled back in early 2015. I think that motion leap stuff is close, but its not out yet.

Basically, rumors are Microsoft decided to skip version 2 which was a smaller upgrade. Version 3 (hololens 2) which is coming out next year will be a big improvement.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Probably the right call. Microsoft as a whole isn't going to stop exploring the area, but there isn't enough room for another console VR competitor. Come back in a decade or so when the tech is independent and mobile.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I never really cared about VR and nothing I've seen interests me. They just started investing heavily into 1st party and I honestly wouldn't want those devs focusing on VR projects.... but still I think it's wise that they make their next gen consoles VR capable just in case there is enough demand from fans later on.

A new more powerful/compact version is coming out early next year according to rumors.

Last edited:

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017

Hololens is its own thing and is right now more targetted at Developers and enteprise. They working on Hololens 2 rumoured to be releasing 2019 and again focusing on the professional space. The first one cost $3000, the next one will cost less but it is still not be at the consumer pricepoint.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
At this point in time I feel like this is a good decision that impacts a very small segment of their player base.

Spend that money on first party content.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Phil said wireless or bust. The tech is still maturing and not many people are asking for it