• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a statement to The Verge, Microsoft says it no longer reports total console sales. "We are continuing to look at engagement as our key metric for success and are no longer reporting on total console sales," says a Microsoft spokesperson. "We continue to see strong growth with time spent on Xbox Live, and look forward to bringing more unprecedented experiences on Xbox One, Windows 10 PC and mobile."
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/2/17312606/microsoft-xbox-one-sales-2018-update

Hide me if old

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Normally I would say that was indicative of poor sales which we know isn't the case but if your not #1 doesn't make much sense to release that info anyways.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure the people that supposed to know, know. That said, seem like they avoiding a "New Thread" lol

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's not a smart PR move to release sales numbers when you're in a distant second place and show the world how big the discrepancy is between you and the market leader.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I know they have no obligation to report sales data but that is just so obviously PR spin that they'd probably be better off saying nothing. My impression was that Xbox sales were good anyway, especially since the release of the S and X. I guess they just don't want the inevitable comparisons to PS4.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have more opportunities for engagement if more consoles were out there. :)

Oct 28, 2017
That's kinda odd. Don't most companies report how many they've sold of what? I was sorta under the impression they had to.

I'm curious if Microsoft knocks it out of the park next gen if they go back in this.

Microsoft seems poised to have a great gen next time if they keep up what they've been doing lately for BC.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Eh no big deal tbh.

As long as consoles are getting supported then I couldn't care less about the sales.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are suppose to be positive when talking about your product. It's not some conspiracy. Hey, Xbox Live is doing great. engagement way up, revenues are up and we've only sold half the amount of consoles compared to Sony......oh that doesn't look good.

As a consumer would you be interested in Xbox if you keep hearing the PS4 stomps it 2 to 1 in sales. It's like when a product gets price cuts all the time, people notice and it's a negative image they see, that's why Microsoft isn't revealing the numbers. People would be unwilling to give Xbox a look if it's seen in such a negative light.

Last edited:

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
What would be the point of releasing sales figures? So everyone can point out the fact that the competition is outselling them 2 to 1? Call it PR spin or whatever - it is in some cases - but I think it's the right move. Focus on the money generated from their services and the data that highlights the strengths of the platform. It's definitely what I would do if given the choice.

Abu_Ibrah!

Apr 22, 2018
Sounds fair. Looking forward to what they have in store for us at E3. Me personally, I don't care about sales numbers as long as the systems I invested on are doing good which in return produce more content for me to enjoy

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Figured they'd pull this with Xbox One X sales.
It's not a new thing. They announced 2 years ago they were switching to reporting on MAU/engagement for the division as that's the metric that ultimately matters most.

But obviously if engagement is going up significantly, they must also be selling more consoles.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a new thing. They announced 2 years ago they were switching to reporting on MAU/engagement for the division as that's the metric that ultimately matters most.

But obviously if engagement is going up significantly, they must also be selling more consoles.
It matters most if you're not first place to boast with your numbers. Nintendo for example always reported them. Even at their lowest point.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what IS engagement and how do you measure it? I'm absolutely clueless; is it a real, accurate measurement of something important/relevant, or is it just some bullshit corporate buzzword?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what IS engagement and how do you measure it? I'm absolutely clueless; is it a real, accurate measurement of something important/relevant, or is it just some bullshit corporate buzzword?
from what we know every time someone login with theirs Live accounts, and this includes Windows, Xbox family and surface, they count as a MAU

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
That's because the numbers aren't too good, and Nintendo is coming up on their tail in the next couple of years as well. Pretty sure PS4 is close to the 2:1 range, which would look awful on a marketing slide for MS.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would say that was indicative of poor sales which we know isn't the case but if your not #1 doesn't make much sense to release that info anyways.

There is no upside to revealing this number, so why do it?

It's only worth saying if you're number 1.

They aren't.

They'll reveal all when they're the top selling console again.

It's not a smart PR move to release sales numbers when you're in a distant second place and show the world how big the discrepancy is between you and the market leader.
Then why does Nintendo do it?

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

Number of unique users using your service. I could be wrong but I believe this doesn't differentiate between platforms (PC vs. XBO vs 360-if 360 is still a thing) or paid or free status. It's a PR stat for potentially how many paying consumers you could have for things like digital content, mtx, etc.

It's better way of saying that then saying, "We have a modest amount of owners of our platform but people spend more money on our digital offerings and bringing in a profit."

It's spin for Stockholders and to a lesser extend the press. Ultimately, they care what their stockholders' think as any major business should.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.