• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Samsung included the cost of all the replacement units people are gonna need into the price.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
Which is sad as Samsung could have easily played it safe like Apple and wait for the others to release the foldable phones first and then react. They took the risk and they deserve credit for trying to pioneer new stuff. Yes it's costly, but it's not for everyone and the price should come down in a few years when most manufacturers are releasing one.

Companies should be credited for trying to deliver something new.
No they shouldn't, every player in the tech game could have put this out, Apple included. You just don't do it if the technology isn't ready. It's a massive insult to every consumers and the trust we should have in buying high end product like this. This is a prototype and should have been advertised as such, not as a product for the mass market.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
A WaPo reporter released this via Twitter:

3ywu9AY.gif

That's not how good QA works. It's probably only doing the same repeated test why there are defective units out there in the first place.

Like they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Last edited:

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Twitter person - Samsung says you shouldn't remove it
*Twitter person - I removed it
* Vyer, "maybe Samsung should tell consumers not to remove it"

???????????

Tech blogger p
*Twitter person - Samsung says you shouldn't remove it
*Twitter person - I removed it
* Vyer, "maybe Samsung should tell consumers not to remove it"

???????????
Tech blogger during reveal: Screen appears to be plastic. Probably because glass doesn't fold.

Tech blogger after reveal: Screen appears to have a crease. Probably because folding plastic in half makes a crease.

Tech blogger gets review unit: Huh? What's the plastic? Lemme rip that off real quick.

Tech blogger: My Galaxy Fold screen broke after JUST two days!!!!!! Totally by itself!!!!! After I ripped off an actual screen component!!!

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Tech blogger p

Tech blogger during reveal: Screen appears to be plastic. Probably because glass doesn't fold.

Tech blogger after reveal: Screen appears to have a crease. Probably because folding plastic in half makes a crease.

Tech blogger gets review unit: Huh? What's the plastic? Lemme rip that off real quick.

Tech blogger: My Galaxy Fold screen broke after JUST two days!!!!!! Totally by itself!!!!! After I ripped off an actual screen component!!!

I don't think an avatar quote has ever been more required than right now. This looks like it's an issue that's affecting people who review these devices for a living. Nobody's saying it's every single one, but maybe it might be worth acknowledging that there is a problem for even people who *haven't* removed the screen film?

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think an avatar quote has ever been more required than right now. This looks like it's an issue that's affecting people who review these devices for a living. Nobody's saying it's every single one, but maybe it might be worth acknowledging that there is a problem for even people who *haven't* removed the screen film?
I can poke fun at bloggers who knew the phone screen was made out of plastic and were shocked that the screen broke after they literally deconstructed the screen because they suddenly presumed that the presence of plastic on a plastic screen that they knew was made of plastic was a choice they had, and still acknowledge that a massive, earth shattering two review units in the entire tech world have had legitimate screen issues.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, the Galaxy fold was sent to thousand of journalist for an early review, 4 of them had issue, so it is a widespread problem?
That's why people can't see the difference between real journalism and fake news.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can poke fun at bloggers who knew the phone screen was made out of plastic and were shocked that the screen broke after they literally deconstructed the screen, and still acknowledge that a massive, earth shattering two review units in the entire tech world have had legitimate screen issues.
They might be tech reviewers but in the end it's just still a phone and nobody reads the instructions, if Samsung has a major flaw that can be easily made, they're not doing a good job of warning the consumer of said danger

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They might be tech reviewers but in the end it's just still a phone and nobody reads the instructions, if Samsung has a major flaw that can be easily made, they're not doing a good job of warning the consumer of said danger
I agree completely on this side of it.

The sensationalised idea from all the journalists trying to get clicks and views that the entire product and idea of foldable is now dead in the water because a whopping two review units failed? Eeeeeehhh I'll wait for retail units and people who are more honest than Bloomberg journalists who's official title is "Apple and Devices News" and pretends he didn't break the screen himself.

So, the Galaxy fold was sent to thousand of journalist for an early review, 4 of them had issue, so it is a widespread problem?
That's why people can't see the difference between real journalism and fake news.

There are only two reported actual screen defects in the entire tech world.

The other two are people who broke the screen themselves.

One was honest about it. The other was not and subsequently has their dishonest tweet going round the world as part of hundreds of click bait articles and vlogs and even the OP of this thread.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
No they shouldn't, every player in the tech game could have put this out, Apple included. You just don't do it if the technology isn't ready. It's a massive insult to every consumers and the trust we should have in buying high end product like this. This is a prototype and should have been advertised as such, not as a product for the mass market.

1) Not every player. Hyperbole

2) Apple insulted everyone in that case by telling us we are holding our phones wrong (@weak signal) or that battery fiasco.

3) 2000$ does not have a mass market appeal.

4) samsung tests the phones. They are not gonna release a phone that breaks straight away. It must be some faulty ones that surely will get replaced.

Media just loves to jump on the bandwagon. Foldable flop? Clickbait etc. Just a way to engage their consumers.

I would like to remind peeps of the s8 issue of the red titnt. It was blown up by the media, even though only a handful devices were affected. (And if i am not mistaken a software update fixed that)

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree completely on this side of it.

The sensationalised idea from all the journalists trying to get clicks and views that the entire product and idea of foldable is now dead in the water because a whopping two review units failed? Eeeeeehhh I'll wait for retail units and people who are more honest than Bloomberg journalists who's official title is "Apple and Devices News" and pretends he didn't break the screen himself.
Like they should have a red danger sticker as soon as you open the phone to let people know what can happen,

But it seems the phone has the bad attention, you have even CNN talking about it and the broken screens. This might might be Mate X's time to shine.

Even when they announced the phone it felt rather odd, so yeah they definitely rushed it.
Maybe Apple was working on a foldable phone, only time will tell

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
If an essential component can be ripped of by your fingers alone, how do you ensure that in 2 years+ of everyday usage that the display won't be damages over time by things resembling a hook or similar looking things?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Gotta be an idiot to purchase something like this then get shocked when it fails. I thought it was obvious that this would have a high failure rate. We're still years off of this becoming a thing that can be mass produced. People should have to take a test or something to buy things that are basically prototypes

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2) Apple insulted everyone in that case by telling us we are holding our phones wrong (@weak signal) or that battery fiasco. Exactly.

4) samsung tests the phones. They are not gonna release a phone that breaks straight away. It must be some faulty ones that surely will get replaced.
But two out of <everyones> review units broke.

Shut it all down! Foldable are dead now!

Phone sucks!

Like they should have a red danger sticker as soon as you open the phone to let people know what can happen,

But it seems the phone has the bad attention, you have even CNN talking about it and the broken screens. This might might be Mate X's time to shine.

Even when they announced the phone it felt rather odd, so yeah they definitely rushed it.
Maybe Apple was working on a foldable phone, only time will tell

Bruh:

-Mate X has the exact same plastic screen but on the outside of the phone when it's closed. Put it this way. The Mate Xs external phone case/cover is a Galaxy Fold screen.

-Mate X costs $2600

-Mate X has no media campaign, no release date and no mass production because it is not an actual product yet and was only announced when it was to steal a bit of Samsung thunder (which worked very well).

-Mate X crease is about 10x the width of the Folds.

If people are talking about fingernails leaving indentations on the plastic screens when they press too hard, how do you think a phone sharing a pocket with keys, coins, lint, sand/grit like dirt particles and rough textiles like denim will hold up?

If an essential component can be ripped of by your fingers alone, how do you ensure that in 2 years+ of everyday usage that the display won't be damages over time by things resembling a hook or similar looking things?

That's the thing though, I would really like to know exactly how these screens were removed and how forceful people had to be to remove it because we don't have that info.

If the thing just comes off in your hands? Okay that's a big problem.

If you have to get a knife under a corner or something and really put force into removing it? Ehh not so much.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But two out of <everyones> review units broke.

Shut it all down! Foldable are dead now!

Phone sucks!

Bruh:

-Mate X has the exact same plastic screen but on the outside of the phone when it's closed. Put it this way. The Mate Xs external phone case/cover is a Galaxy Fold screen.

-Mate X costs $2600

-Mate X has no media campaign, no release date and no mass production because it is not an actual product yet and was only announced when it was to steal a bit of Samsung thunder (which worked very well).

-Mate X crease is about 10x the width of the Folds.

If people are talking about fingernails leaving indentations on the plastic screens when they press too hard, how do you think a phone sharing a pocket with keys, coins, lint, sand/grit like dirt particles and rough textiles like denim will hold up?
From impressions off YouTube it got Samsung already beat with quality, even with the screen outside.

That unbox YouTuber said that he's been trying to get ahold of one, as soon as he does. You Know he's going to make a " this is the best foldable phone vid"

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Yup, from what I've read it's a case of Samsung rushing something to market that clearly wasn't ready just so they can shout "first!". Sadly it seems to be a common complaint with them, push out some new technology before anyone else so people think they've innovated and then basically get the public to beta test it for them before releasing a workable system in a later handset. Meanwhile other manufacturers hold off until they actually have a system that works.

EDIT: I'd also say that I like Samsung handsets. I've used them before without issue and a lot of managers at work swear by theirs but I've never buy one of their flagship phones on release.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of whether there's a warning or not it's just bad design to have an important component look like one of those placeholder screen protectors that all devices come with that you are meant to peel off. It's really weird that they thought that was good enough.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Its not really that weird to expect Samsung to innovate in display, don't they basically make the screens for majority of the phone manufacturers...

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm astonished by the number of hilarious replies stating that "this tech isn't ready" or "lol, called it, Samsung lmao".
Replies with people pretending they know QA practices from one of the biggest electronic manufactures in the world.
Replies with people stating that only idiots would buy first gen foldables when there's an obvious market for these devices.
Replies with people pretending you can't return a defective device, if it ever happens.
Replies with people who believe Samsung is "fucked" even if they officially stated the phone will launch in a few days as planned - meaning they clearly have confidence in their own product. If this was a major issue, it isn't rocket science to assume that a launch delay would be extremely less costly and brand damage would be non-existent.

Internet at its best.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this justify why Apple isn't that eager in adopting the foldable screen tech. Can you imagine the headline if its an iphone? Better to be labelled by haters for being late to the tech than introducing it prematurely and suffer such headlines.

Going to see how this unfold in the future.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Like anything else, I'm sure this'll be overblown for clicks. That said, for my money, even 4 reports is enough to make me wary since this level of hardware breakage is not something Ive seen from any number of reviewers. This is the type of thing I'd expect to see when there are millions of units out there, not hundreds.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't really care if this problem is widespread or not, the fact that this $2000 phone comes with a cheap looking plastic cover you're not suppose to remove is hilarious.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care if this problem is widespread or not, the fact that this $2000 phone comes with a cheap looking plastic cover you're not suppose to remove is hilarious.
It's not a cover it's literally part of the screen tech.

Thats why the screen does not work when you dig it off of the phone.

It's plastic because glass breaks when you bend it and everyone who actually has the phone says it's a very good looking screen.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not a cover it's literally part of the screen tech.

Thats why the screen does not work when you dig it off of the phone.

It's plastic because glass breaks when you bend it and everyone who actually has the phone says it's a very good looking screen.
That makes it worse not better, when part of your screen is easy to confuse with a normal screen protector it's bad design.

How long will it take for that plastic to fall off just by using your phone, it's just put on with some adhesive I can't imagine shit like that will last forever.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Tech blogger p

If your essential screen component looks like a factory screen protector sheet to a tech blogger, and they can rip it off with their bare fingers with absolute ease, your product is fragile and poorly designed, and that sheet will inevitably peel off with use.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That makes it worse not better, when part of your screen is easy to confuse with a normal screen protector it's bad design.

How long will it take for that plastic to fall off just by using your phone, it's just put on with some adhesive I can't imagine shit like that will last forever.
Almost every flagship phone is held together with adhesive. You expected it to be bolted, sewn or welded together?

Every screen has a glass cover that's bonded to the display with adhesive.

You just can't have that with a screen thats designed to fold in half.

How long will it take for it to fall off just from use? No idea, we don't have that data yet.

How hard did the two guys who ripped their screens off have to dig and pull? I have no idea, we don't have that info either.

Which is why drawing conclusions doesn't make sense.

If your essential screen component looks like a factory screen protector sheet to a tech blogger, and they can rip it off with their bare fingers with absolute ease, your product is fragile and poorly designed, and that sheet will inevitably peel off with use.

Do you any quotes from reviewers saying they just easily lifted off the top layer of the screen with "absolute ease"?

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France

2) Apple insulted everyone in that case by telling us we are holding our phones wrong (@weak signal) or that battery fiasco.

Media just loves to jump on the bandwagon. Foldable flop? Clickbait etc. Just a way to engage their consumers.

I would like to remind peeps of the s8 issue of the red titnt. It was blown up by the media, even though only a handful devices were affected. (And if i am not mistaken a software update fixed that)

1// Google, Apple, Huawei, Xiaomi, Lenovo... semantics

2// Apple issue was a minor issue comparing to this // This is a broken phone situation here // I got an iPhone 4 yes it was weird to use sometimes but it never got to the point where my phone was literally broken.

3// When you advertise everywhere you are going for the mass market, I don't think Samsung is producing a handful of these

4// So you telling me that out of the small portions of review phones shipped out, that many issues is just "some faulty ones"? I'm impatient to see when it's going to hit shelves.

Comparison is not reason. I'm appalled by this because such issue denounced by so many reviewers is a big red flag, this can be more than just some faulty devices.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I would pick at that screen even if they said not to remove it. They should have hid it under the edges.

Also the Huawei and Xiaomi models seem much cooler when folded.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Almost every flagship phone is held together with adhesive. You expected it to be bolted, sewn or welded together?

How long will it take for it to fall off just from use? No idea, we don't have that data yet.

How hard did the two guys who ripped their screens off have to dig and pull? I have no idea, we don't have that info either.

I expect better for a high end phone like this, having a "screen protector" as an integral part of a phone is a red flag for me. My lite OCD would go crazy if I could even start to see the edges of that plastic screen. But it seems like we can at least agree that the phone seems to have some design issues.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect better for a high end phone like this, having a "screen protector" as an integral part of a phone is a red flag for me. But it seems like we can at least agree that the phone seems to have have design issues.

It's not a protector, it is the screen.

Every screen has bonded layers sandwiched on top of each other.

Some have more layers like LCD, some have less layers like OLED which gives the feeling of the image being closer to your fingers due to less layers of different sandwiched material between the image producing display and the top layer.

The top layer of traditional phones is glass.

Folding phones can't use glass because glass shatters whem folded, so the top layer of the screen in folding phones is constructed of a flexiblle polymer instead.

Again, it's not a protector for the screen, it IS the screen.

Deconstructing the screen of your phone ruins it.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
1// Google, Apple, Huawei, Xiaomi, Lenovo... semantics

2// Apple issue was a minor issue comparing to this // This is a broken phone situation here // I got an iPhone 4 yes it was weird to use sometimes but it never got to the point where my phone was literally broken.

3// When you advertise everywhere you are going for the mass market, I don't think Samsung is producing a handful of these

4// So you telling me that out of the small portions of review phones shipped out, that many issues is just "some faulty ones"? I'm impatient to see when it's going to hit shelves.

Comparison is not reason. I'm appalled by this because such issue denounced by so many reviewers is a big red flag, this can be more than just some faulty devices.

Can't believe i am stooping this low, but here it goes:

1) semantics indeed. Could have should have. At the end of the day none of them did release or announce a foldable (besides huawei).

You are cracking down on a company trying to innovate? Oh my bad, would you rather have a 0.1mm thinner phone and call that innovation?

Also its innovation like that drives the industry forward. Apple uses samsung screens right for the Iphone X?
Again, it took samsung a while, with plenty mistakes, but they got there.

2) why are you bringing up an Iphone 4? Great phone though. I moved to android, after the 5 because my phone woukd become a slog after a year.

How can you call it a minor issue? Its a PHONE. I should be able to call/phone people. My mum had this issue and she went trough hell, and eventually gave up.

3) I think I read its definitley not being mass produced, but rather limited. Money talks however, so if they sell decently I dont imagine samsung saying no.

4) my bad? But how many phones have been affected, and also did any of the reviewers mess with it?

I am just so used to these clickbat titles honeslty. On my feed, i have 5 different tech reviewers all talking about the same thing. Making the issue seem bigger than it is.

Lets say out of a thousand phones, flex has a failure rate of 1. Make an issue out of it if samsung does not do anything about it? If they will give you a working model than that's the end. No harm done.

But lets wait for the release, and any potential statements.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
Can't believe i am stooping this low, but here it goes:

1) semantics indeed. Could have should have. At the end of the day none of them did release or announce a foldable (besides huawei).

You are cracking down on a company trying to innovate? Oh my bad, would you rather have a 0.1mm thinner phone and call that innovation?

Also its innovation like that drives the industry forward. Apple uses samsung screens right for the Iphone X?
Again, it took samsung a while, with plenty mistakes, but they got there.

2) why are you bringing up an Iphone 4? Great phone though. I moved to android, after the 5 because my phone woukd become a slog after a year.

How can you call it a minor issue? Its a PHONE. I should be able to call/phone people. My mum had this issue and she went trough hell, and eventually gave up.

3) I think I read its definitley not being mass produced, but rather limited. Money talks however, so if they sell decently I dont imagine samsung saying no.

4) my bad? But how many phones have been affected, and also did any of the reviewers mess with it?

I am just so used to these clickbat titles honeslty. On my feed, i have 5 different tech reviewers all talking about the same thing. Making the issue seem bigger than it is.

Lets say out of a thousand phones, flex has a failure rate of 1. Make an issue out of it if samsung does not do anything about it? If they will give you a working model than that's the end. No harm done.

But lets wait for the release, and any potential statements.
You turned this argument into an Apple versus Samsung by mentioning Apple's antenna issue. While I don't really care about this, you're making this production and design issue less important than it actually is. We are not beta tester. But time will tell once it releases yep.

And please take a look at this https://www.t3.com/news/best-folding-phones if you think only Samsung can/is doing foldable phone

Peace

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
You turned this argument into an Apple versus Samsung by mentioning Apple's antenna issue. While I don't really care about this, you're making this production and design issue less important than it actually is. We are not beta tester. But time will tell once it releases yep.

And please take a look at this https://www.t3.com/news/best-folding-phones if you think only Samsung can/is doing foldable phone

Peace

I did not mean to. It just happened to be the first thing that came to mind, but also because it's a problem I had to deal with. That's all. Respect both companies.

Of course I know there are other companies right now that want to release foldable phones ,and as of now are developing/researching/iterating.
However they are not on the market as of yet. Samsung is going to be. Then others will follow, gradually more till it hopefully becomes an affordable device for mainstream. And credit to whatever company manages to make it affordable.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I'm astonished by the number of hilarious replies stating that "this tech isn't ready" or "lol, called it, Samsung lmao".
Replies with people pretending they know QA practices from one of the biggest electronic manufactures in the world.
Replies with people stating that only idiots would buy first gen foldables when there's an obvious market for these devices.
Replies with people pretending you can't return a defective device, if it ever happens.
Replies with people who believe Samsung is "fucked" even if they officially stated the phone will launch in a few days as planned - meaning they clearly have confidence in their own product. If this was a major issue, it isn't rocket science to assume that a launch delay would be extremely less costly and brand damage would be non-existent.

Internet at its best.
They made an exploding phone. One of the biggest fuck ups in smartphone history. People got physically hurt by Samsung's QA standards.

Again, it's simple, if you put something on the phone that can be peeled away with fingers then it's a huge design flaw and a failure from Samsung's QA.

A class action lawsuit would have a field day if this issue is more widespread.

But we will find out soon enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Do you any quotes from reviewers saying they just easily lifted off the top layer of the screen with "absolute ease"?
It's exactly what I gather from those tweets. They saw a plastic cover they thought was a protective sheet, peeled it off with no problem with their bare fingers, and it turns out it was an essential part of the screen. There's no device I own where I can peel off the screen with my bare fingers and it looks like it's just a protective sheet.
I wouldn't be able to remove the screen from my non foldable phone with my fingers in a thousand years.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
1) this does't seem like a real widespread problem
2) Seems to be limited to reviewers doing stuff they shouldn't do with the phone
3) warning missing from reviewer phones but included on retail should help with this?

Biggest take away for me - influencers work both ways. Positive output from influencers is probably valuable for your product. But you need to be extra careful you give them the information they need because any fuck up (even if not something that will affect real people) will be amplified to the public through the same mechansim you're trying to leverage.