• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
displayplus.jpg
Wow that looks revolutionary

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why this controversy comes from a country where you have to write on a cup that hot coffee is hot.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
By not experimenting at all and waiting for other companies to experiment, perfect the design and then copy that, taking all the credit.
Do you have any proof that Apple does not experiment at all in this particular case?

Just because Samsung decided to use suckers as guinea pigs in this case doesn't mean others don't experiment in their R&D divisions with different kinds of shit.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
So this thread devolved into fanboy drivel, haha. I mean it was always going to be but, hah, y'all just can't help yourselves.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why this controversy comes from a country where you have to write on a cup that hot coffee is hot.

That's a shitty hot take considering some of Samsung's latest devices have plastic protectors you're supposed to take off, as do many other phone manufacturers.

I know I always peel stickers or protectors like that right off, and apply my own. So don't try to throw an entire country under the bus as a generalization because Samsung made a bonehead move with a shoddy product. Thanks.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any proof that Apple does not experiment at all?

You can give me an example if you want? I genuinely cannot think of anything in recent years off the top of my head. The failed butterfly keyboard experiment maybe?

They certainly are not close to where Samsung and Huawei are with their experimental products.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but It's insane to me that even after all this time people still don't know anything about the Mcdonald's hot coffee case and boil it down to "lol coffee hot". It was a legitimate case that deserved to go to court, the woman suffered third degree burns because of how hot the coffee was and Mcdonald's admitted it was their fault.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
You can give me an example if you want? I genuinely cannot think of anything in recent years off the top of my head. The failed butterfly keyboard experiment maybe?

They certainly are not close to where Samsung and Huawei are with their experimental products.
Apple doesn't even do experimental products, they might screw something up (keyboard) and pretend it's no big deal though but we don't know what kind of whacky stuff they might do in secret which doesn't see the light because it's wonky. But Samsung in this case is rushing something to the market what may do potential damage not only to them but also the foldable market. People are sceptical already and then we get this potential mess.

I don't get Samsung here. There is no need to rush to be first when you're one of the biggest companies in the phone market.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shitty hot take considering some of Samsung's latest devices have plastic protectors you're supposed to take off, as do many other phone manufacturers.

I know I always peel stickers or protectors like that right off, and apply my own. So don't try to throw an entire country under the bus as a generalization because Samsung made a bonehead move with a shoddy product. Thanks.

Also the coffee case being referenced was about people being served coffee above actual boiling temperatures.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I wish someone else could make a FaceID scanner as good as Apple's, but no one else has come even close.

Oct 26, 2017
By not experimenting at all and waiting for other companies to experiment, perfect the design and then copy that, taking all the credit.

This is only kind of half true. Apple is generally never first to market with any kind of tech, but generally they take what someone else has done, make it easier to use, release it, and it gets copied (either in design or function).

Touch screen phones

Touch ID/FaceID

Apple Pay

Multitasking/PiP on tablets

None of these was first from Apple, but has been widely copied after Apple did their version. Hell, even the fucking notch has become a widely copied design that Apple wasn't first to do but that everyone now makes an Apple-like version of.

Don't get me wrong, they have their share of fuckups. But let's not pretend they're the only people copying stuff out there.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Because there were lawsuits about about food service workers heating hot beverages to unreasonable conditions, to the point of boiling, so if there were an accident someone would get burned regardless. the warning was put there so no matter how hot the beverage may be, there was still a warning saying it's hot. So I wonder, wtf are you talking about?
Off topic but It's insane to me that even after all this time people still don't know anything about the Mcdonald's hot coffee case and boil it down to "lol coffee hot". It was a legitimate case that deserved to go to court, the woman suffered third degree burns because of how hot the coffee was and Mcdonald's admitted it was their fault.
👌🏽

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has to be one of the worst phones I've ever seen in my life.

Talk about just doing something way too early. This fucking industry and the hysterical yearly if not 6 monthly phone releases meaning everyone thinks they have to "change the world" 5 times a year.

Human beings and phones too. My god soo many people are wired to the fucking moon.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
It wasn't even the only case where someone had gotten 3rd degree burns on their body from McDonald's coffee

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
funny-product-instructions-6-591dae0d3ea3f__605.jpg

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

For real... my S9 came covered in shit you are supposed to take off. How the fuck are you supposed to know which shit not to talk off when there are no instructions for it and it looks exactly like the other take off shit.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The work that these companies branding and advertising departments have put in is amazing! We've got people straight up arguing over which company that ships deeply flawed super expensive status symbol hardware is better.

These companies have hardware that bends when it shouldn't, breaks under normal use, has microphones that they "forget" to tell us about, and have people listening to our voice commands without our knowledge and still people are willing to go up to bat for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Problems aside, it's striking how cheap and crudely put together it looks.

From the crease in the screen, to the enormous cut-out, to the weird external screen, to the whole screen film keeping the (plastic) screen together, it looks like a weird laboratory prototype, not a consumer device being sold for $2000.

When you consider how nice Samsung's phones usually look and the excellent build quality they have, this device just feels so rushed and unfinished.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread needs some sort of warning for those of us who suffer mentally when we are overexposed to shitty YouTube thumbnails.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
The folding seems pretty cool. The Verge comparing the form factor with a slightly smaller, without bezel iPad Mini seems cool. I just don't think I could spend $1980 on a device like that with the weird streak down the middle of the screen.

The outside screen seems kind of cheap and pointless too as if we are going back in time.

Hinges on devices like this can be finicky. Amazon stopped selling 3DS for awhile because of hinge issues. I never use screen protectors either.

I'm not really sure who the market is for this phone. Is anyone in here buying one? Seems like cool tech if it actually works.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its shame that these companies have still not learned anything from Apple. Being first in the market will only give your fans bragging rights in discussions after market is matured. I always laugh at people who still hung up with "Oh apple wasn't the first one to come up with a smartphone" yeah they weren't but guess what they perfected it and made it mainstream, at the end of the day THATS ALL THAT matters.

Stop releasing these half assed products just to be the first

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

oh look, another person on the internet not knowing at all what that lawsuit was about

BTW: The result of that lawsuit was not that you have to write "hot" on a cup

the result of that lawsuit is that coffee has to be brewed to a temperature that will not melt the plastic lid atop the cup as McDonalds was. McDonalds was brewing their coffee to something ridiculous like 200 degrees, which is not optimal for coffee and was too hot for the cup to contain. The coffee that spilled on that lady -- because the cup literally melted in her hand -- was so hot that it fused her labia shut in her lap when she couldn't get the coffee off of her fast enough. McDonalds was brewing coffee like 60 degrees hotter than recommended. To give an example, at McDonalds temperature, skin contact with the coffee would cause 3rd degree burns within 2 seconds. At 140 degrees, the recommended brewing temperature, coffee would take nearly 30 seconds to cause 3rd degree burns.

Last edited:

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense, lol.

It isn't fragile but you need to baby it. You should keep it boxed since it's tough to baby it because you can't protect it.

Sounds great. I'm gonna go pre-order today.
So hostile, lol. I'm saying I'd be fine cause I don't mistreat my electronics, but someone who peels off the protective cover or does other potentially damaging actions may not fair as well.

Oct 25, 2017
The lawsuit wasn't over hot coffee, it was over coffee that was literally molten and melted through the cup. This lawsuit ensured coffee would be brewed to a proper temperature as not to melt cups and human flesh.

You let yourself become misinformed by tabloids and gossip.

Oct 25, 2017
PjldNfa.jpg

kAJeB0y.jpg

How much can you possibly milk a phone?
"If this was Apple"

your head would be buried in your hand as your hat almost falls off
He's most likely getting paid by Samsung. He is not a real tech journalist and is no different than a marketing arm most of the time.

I actually chuckled out loud when he finished talking about the Fold and slid over two literal rainbow stacks of them for all to see. Who sends one guy 8 folds?!