• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
Would a phone screen that can un roll and slide out be a better solution instead.

Like say if the left bezel had more of the screen rolled up in it and when you slide the chassis apart (like a slider) the extra screen rolls out.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, 'delayed indefinitely'. I suppose that's for the best. At least I got to watch lots of videos of what a possible folding-phone future might look like.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
giphy.gif

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I thought this was a few isolated cases and when the phone was released no one would have these issues?

Guys? Where you at...guys?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Imo, Samsung took a hit but dodged a bullet with the delay - if the screen protector thing is the issue they have time to fix it. The phone looks fun, they need to get it right.

They got hit with one high caliber bullet to the chest but opted not to get back up and definitely die for real.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is permanently cancelled and foldable phones take a 5 year break.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp guess you could say Samsung folded themselves into a corner 😎 ill just stick to their only good line the Notes.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a look at Samsung's foldable when they bring the S-Pen to it.

I do think the tech will eventually get there, but there's going to be growing pains along the way.
After finally having a note i agree dat s pen is AMAZING. Wish more phones did that. Will get a foldable phone whenever thats a option.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted a Note due to the S-Pen, but I hated their old UI (Touchwiz can die in a thermonuclear fire). I made the jump with the Note 8 and I still love using my phone.
I got the note 9 last week first note i ever got and now i never wanna go back. The stylus really adds alot and the phone kinda feels like a tablet and phone in one.

Always had the galaxy line or the flagship sony phones before that. And i gotta say this one already is my most favorite phone yet. And same also after that note 7 tragedy i kinda skipped getting one earlier and went with another phone back then. But yeah such a neat phone imo. I hope theyll truly add the s pen to one of the future foldable phones (foldable note :o?)

Oct 25, 2017
They got hit with one high caliber bullet to the chest but opted not to get back up and definitely die for real.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is permanently cancelled and foldable phones take a 5 year break.
I'm wondering what the hell Huawei is going to do. I can't imagine they are exempt from the laws of physics that make this kind of device so fragile. E-S-P-E-C-I-A-L-L-Y with an outward facing screen.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I wonder if anyone is gonna try a foldable phone using regular class screens but with a small bezel in the middle. As someone who uses a flip cover case I would not mind that at all.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is not coming out or if it does it'll only be in limited quantities in select countries like what ended up happening with the Note 7 and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the only foldable they put out because for how expensive and complex it is, it's not anymore practical than an S10. I don't know what they were thinking outside of pushing it out the door hoping no one would notice.

Oct 25, 2017
'
I wonder if anyone is gonna try a foldable phone using regular class screens but with a small bezel in the middle. As someone who uses a flip cover case I would not mind that at all.

This was a thing 2 years ago ZTE Axon M, but folded the other way.

LG V50 5g version actually does something interesting, offering a case with a separate screen that is basically what you are thinking about, folding inwards like a book.

Oct 25, 2017
Lew has been talking about it since day 1 but whatever.
*Apple's Qi charger cancelled* *immediately gets video on main channel decrying how embarrassing this is for Apple*

*Samsung's paradigm-shifting flagship $2000 phone that got 5 videos in a row is recalled and has release date pushed indefinitely* *silence*

I don't know where this dude has already talked about it, but as of this post it certainly hasn't been on his main channel for his main audience. Funny that. For that video, I wait.

So do you still maintain the original reports were full of shit/biased/doing it for clicks? Or is Samsung recalling the product/launch for shits and giggles.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, it's you again.

No more multiple paragraph screeds about how the reviewers are being misleading and a $2000 phone failing to everyday stressors is perfectly A-ok?
I don't take back anything I said.

The youtubers with the phone and the Bloombergs/cnbcs/wsjs have very big differences in experience and controversy creation.

Bloomberg reviewer wasn't honest. Wsj reviewer just cried about Samsung sending a replacemt after they broke it. The verge reviewer stuffed the hinge with clay, told everyome about it on social.media and then pretended it never happened in their review.

So far the only proper spontaneous screen death left is from cnbcs review unit.

Either way, it's a good thing Samsung is going to take back the review units and learn from the feedback to make the fold a better product.

Wonder what they will actually do though, if anything.

Nov 30, 2018
*Apple's Qi charger cancelled* *immediately gets video on main channel decrying how embarrassing this is for Apple*

*Samsung's paradigm-shifting flagship $2000 phone that got 5 videos in a row is recalled and has release date pushed indefinitely* *silence*

I don't know where this dude has already talked about it, but as of this post it certainly hasn't been on his main channel for his main audience. Funny that. For that video, I wait.

So do you still maintain the original reports were full of shit/biased/doing it for clicks? Or is Samsung recalling the product/launch for shits and giggles.

Lol 6 Fold videos and ever since the canceled launch, nothing

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He has five videos out totalling around two hours of footage with a total of around 3 million views discussing the Folds issues.

Lol @ the very specific and inaccurate hate boner for Lewis regarding Galaxy Fold videos

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
There's no way with current tech that a plastic foldable screen is going to be flawless. You can still see the fold, there's always going to be a gap and garbage will get inbetween. I'd be more interested in two glass panes coming together. But you'll probably having chipping and tech reviewers cutting their fingers etc...

Oct 25, 2017
He has five videos out totalling around two hours of footage with a total of around 3 million views discussing the Folds issues.

Lol @ the very specific and inaccurate hate boner for Lewis regarding Galaxy Fold videos
2 hours of footage discussing Fold issues? Where exactly? Why not his main channel? Why does a cancelled charger get a front page Unbox Therapy vid and not this big-deal folding phone he had no problem pumping out videos for before?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
There's no way with current tech that a plastic foldable screen is going to be flawless. You can still see the fold, there's always going to be a gap and garbage will get inbetween. I'd be more interested in two glass panes coming together. But you'll probably having chipping and tech reviewers cutting their fingers etc...

That's what I've been saying. This design was doomed from the start because plastic screens always suck. It's undeniable.

They should take the L and cancel it. Bring it back once a new material is available.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The iFixit teardown, and their article on how review units failed, is really damning. There is no way they can release that thing, it's just not going to last. And really, this should come to the surprise of nobody.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I only read the Verge summary but the display + hinge design issues won't be fixed in a few weeks. This needs a ground up re-design.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only read the Verge summary but the display + hinge design issues won't be fixed in a few weeks. This needs a ground up re-design.

I think that this recall and delayed launch is to soften the blow when they eventually cancel it to redesign it. This is clearly prototype material and should have never been pushed out as some premium smart phone with a marketing push and actual launch. What's even more sad is you have shills pushing this sort of practice as if it's alright, when it's really not. Samsung was ready to take advantage of the smart phone market and sell a $2000 paperweight.

I'm almost positive they knew of the problematic screen and the protector was a last ditch effort. They probably figured out the cost of what it would take to repair the screens with consumers compared to completely redesigning the phone and went full steam ahead. Reviews put a dent in that.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't take back anything I said.

The youtubers with the phone and the Bloombergs/cnbcs/wsjs have very big differences in experience and controversy creation.

Bloomberg reviewer wasn't honest. Wsj reviewer just cried about Samsung sending a replacemt after they broke it. The verge reviewer stuffed the hinge with clay, told everyome about it on social.media and then pretended it never happened in their review.

So far the only proper spontaneous screen death left is from cnbcs review unit.

Either way, it's a good thing Samsung is going to take back the review units and learn from the feedback to make the fold a better product.

Wonder what they will actually do though, if anything.

So is everyone lying and Samsung is taking a step back for shits and giggles, or is there some truth to the issues the reviews uncovered and Samsung are taking a step back for legitimate issues? You can't claim everyone is lying but Samsung is going to learn from the feedback anyway. According to the reviews this is not a product that is fit for the market. I think you have a massive cognitive dissonance that you need to resolve.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If a tiny piece of clay can get in there, so can any number of things. If a tiny piece of modelling clay can damage the screen by getting inside, so can grit or sand or any number of things that this phone will absolutely be exposed to. Opening and closing the phone is normal use. This isn't like taking off a port and stuffing clay inside it.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a tiny piece of clay can get in there, so can any number of things. If a tiny piece of modelling clay can damage the screen by getting inside, so can grit or sand or any number of things that this phone will absolutely be exposed to. Opening and closing the phone is normal use. This isn't like taking off a port and stuffing clay inside it.

Yep. Dust is insidious.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
And I think most of us will have been digging with a paperclip inside charging ports or headphone jacks at some point in the past because of all the shit that's built up in there. It's going to happen.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Good they are withdrawing them and solve the problem.
If it were Apple it would probably be 'you're folding it wrong'.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good they are withdrawing them and solve the problem.
If it were Apple it would probably be 'you're folding it wrong'.

Nah because Apple wouldn't have released a shoddy product that breaks in a day. Not sure what they have to do with this because I haven't owned an iPhone that has broken from normal use or explodes before.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the nature of their site, it's quite possible they got authorization from Samsung to do a teardown before the shit hit the fan

Yup, i'm quite certain iFixit actuall counts as a "review outlet" and therefore is provided with review units. Like, not providing them with a device would seem kinda shady, as they'll eventually be able to pick one up anyways.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, i'm quite certain iFixit actuall counts as a "review outlet" and therefore is provided with review units. Like, not providing them with a device would seem kinda shady, as they'll eventually be able to pick one up anyways.
At least with Apple devices that isn't usually the case. That's why they do many of the major teardowns in Australia where they can get the device on release day as early as possible.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Nah because Apple wouldn't have released a shoddy product that breaks in a day. Not sure what they have to do with this because I haven't owned an iPhone that has broken from normal use or explodes before.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't owned any Android phone that has broken from normal use or explodes before (including Samsung)...

I get what you're saying but this was a uttetly pointless part of your post.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me. It's good exposure both for your new product and for your engineering, seeing how it all fits together.

Oct 27, 2017

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apple continually releases MacBook Pros with keyboards that can be felled by a speck of dust. Their answer to it has been an extra year of warranty and most recently a thin condom surrounding the keys that lessens but doesn't fix the problem.

This thread has informed me of three things:

1) The design was shit
2) They rushed it to market
3) People really love smartphone corporation wars

And non-biased consumers should be wary going forward, because if their refrigerators are any indication, Samsung is fine with not fixing bad design. Just masking it and hoping the problem doesn't show itself until the warranty is up.