• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Verge what?

You still spewing Apple conspiracies with them
Yes, the verge.

Anyway, my point was that I just find it strange that I dont see any tech youtuners having this spontaneous broken phone problem that seems to exist purely on places like cnbc, the verge (yes, the verge), or with people who's job description literally has the word "apple" in it.

Imagine going this hard into denial over a corporation.

Imagine asking why none of all of the people I scoured YouTube to find who had the fold have had any spontaneous screen breaking issues and having the only example given not be a spontaneous screen breakage but the person actually wrecking the phone themselves.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the verge.

Anyway, my point was that I just find it strange that I dont see any tech youtuners having this spontaneous broken phone problem that seems to exist purely on places like cnbc, the verge (yes, the verge), or with people who's job description literally has the word "apple" in it.

Imagine asking why none of all of the people I scoured YouTube to find who had the fold have had any spontaneous screen breaking issues and having the only example given not be a spontaneous screen breakage but the person actually wrecking the phone themselves.
I don't normally quote crazy people, but dude, it's a phone. It breaks for some people and it doesn't for others. Shit happens.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a tech youtuber who makes the same points I'm making.

- Out of the four people who have made complaints about the screen breaking, only 2 of them didn't actually break it themselves.

- One of the people who broke the screen themselves only (dishonestly imo) decided to mention that they broke it themselves in a separate tweet, not showing in the OP. "My Galaxy Fold screen broke after just two days!!!! BTW I broke it myself"

- No tech youtuber so far has had their screen suddenly stop working, and there are quite a lot of them.

- I'll take the opinions of those who do hours of real use footage and testing of the products they review over those who write short articles and whos job title literally reads "apple and devices" guy for bloomberg (where all the real tech experts work of course).

-We don't yet know if these issues will arise in consumer products vs test / review units.

Because of all that, I'll wait a little to see if this is a widespread issue or not.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018
- I'll take the opinions of those who do hours of real use footage and testing of the products they review over those who write short articles and whos job title literally reads "apple and devices" guy for bloomberg (where all the real tech experts work of course).
Wait, are you saying Mark Gurman isn't an authority on consumer electronics?

All of the reporters who have had issues with their Fold are experts in their fields.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017

Because of all that, I'll wait a little to see if this is a widespread issue or not.

dtxHpGl.jpg

Dude give it a rest, you sound delusional.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Out of the four people who have made complaints about the screen breaking, only 2 of them didn't actually break it themselves.

- One of the people who broke the screen themselves only decided to mention that they broke it themselves in a separate tweet, not showing in the OP.

- No tech youtuber so far has had their screen suddenly stop working, and there are quite a lot of them.

-We don't yet know if these issues will arise in consumer products vs test / review units.

You're coming off like a Samsung apologist.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Not sure a device that so clearly needs a plastic screen protector on in order to meet a minimum standard of function is ready for the prime time irrespective of whatever biases The Verge might possess

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are you saying Mark Gurman isn't an authority on consumer electronics?

All of the reporters who have had issues with their Fold are experts in their fields.
Lol.

I would trust Mark a little more if he didn't tweet that his phone screen broke "after just two days!!!!!", if he was honest enough to note that he actually broke it himself without initially framing it as though it just "happened".

His literally official job title of "Apple and devices news for bloomberg" just piles on the skepticism even further.

Like I said, I'll trust all the youtubers who seem to have no issues recording hours of content, showing the phones off in the real world, not breaking their phones, apart from the one who did and was honest and actually admitted that he did it himself.

Oct 27, 2017
Whew. I almost pre-ordered this last night as a birthday gift to myself. Definitely going to wait on a Gen2 now. Will keep rocking the Note 8 for another year. Doubt the Note 10 will wow me. If they can work out the kinks in this phone next go around and add features, I will be there next year.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm.... AndroidCentral states that allegedly Samsung told early reviewers that the top layer of the Galaxy Fold's screen was NOT removable: https://www.androidcentral.com/heres-why-galaxy-fold-displays-are-already-breaking

The Galaxy Fold, as every other foldable phone, has a plastic display on top of the OLED display that allows the entire screen to flex. We don't yet have flexible glass, so this is just how things are going to have to be for the foreseeable future. But the problem with that top layer on the Galaxy Fold is that it looks exactly like a pre-installed screen protector we've seen on phone after phone — including the Galaxy S10 — that you have the option of removing. On the Fold, though, the layer is not designed to be removed. It's not just inadvisable to do so, it's not meant to be removable. If you remove that top layer, you've effectively done the same as removing the cover glass from your Galaxy S10 — and, at that point, the display panel itself is going to fail. And it won't take long to do so.

Samsung's messaging to early reviewers explicitly reminded us that the top layer of the screen was not removable and that it would compromise the integrity of the display. But even still, the urge to remove that top layer has been ingrained in all of us for over a decade — plastic doesn't feel right on a phone, and it looks like it's removable. Even some of the most egregious offenders of pre-installed screen protectors in the past would still technically allow you to remove the protector and have the phone work properly afterward. This just isn't the same case, even though it feels the same at first.

Samsung must make it clear to consumers that the plastic should not be tampered with.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Whats the failure rate? Is it high, or are these rare? Every product has some lemons. It's pretty stupid to try to create a narrative based on 1:1000000 failure rate. If it's common then yeah only then is it a 'thing'. The Note 7 exploding battery thing was actually a really low rate but you get enough people with an axe to grind to report it, now it becomes a 'thing'.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Oh c'mon, they build millions of these. too early to raise the alarms.

a bit click baity, but we'll see.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the failure rate? Is it high, or are these rare? Every product has some lemons. It's pretty stupid to try to create a narrative based on 1:1000000 failure rate. If it's common then yeah only then is it a 'thing'. The Note 7 exploding battery thing was actually a really low rate but you get enough people with an axe to grind to report it, now it becomes a 'thing'.

These are review units, so they didn't send out a ton of them

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
why the fuck wouldn't they warn consumers then? There should at least be a big ass READ ME on top of all that fancy packaging.
They're opening themselves wide open, but this is the issue you deal with making any new product like this. Can't say I'm feeling sympathetic, although it's gonna suck for adoption of this tech. I think people forget that. With the ps5 coming out next year it'll have its own fair share of issues. Happens a lot with electronics ...

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least all of this is being revealed before the general public release through these early review units being shipped to early reviewers.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol, I look forward to buying one of these in 4 to 5 years when they're a few more iterations (and quite less dollar signs) deeper.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Supposed Savy reviewers are impulsive and dont read manuals? At least accept responsibility for your recklessness

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Even that instruction - what kind of statement is "...may cause damage"? To me, that doesn't say definitely that the screen will break if you peel off that layer, more like that it may break if you remove it carelessly, but may also work if you remove it carefully. If that film is not supposed to be peeled off full-stop, they should have at the very least printed "Do not peel off the protective layer, as the screen will stop working if you attempt to remove it".

Not to mention that of course they should have tucked that protective film under the bezels so that it wouldn't look like something that can be peeled off. This reeks of some last moment manufacturing adjustment because they figured out that something is wrong when it was already too late, and the batch of the phones was already manufactured and ready for sale.

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Even that instruction - what kind of statement is "...may cause damage"? To me, that doesn't say definitely that the screen will break if you peel off that layer, more like that it may break if you remove it carelessly. If that sticker is not supposed to be peeled off, they should have at the very least printed "Do not peel off the protective layer, as the screen will stop working if you attempt to remove it".

Not to mention that of course they should have tucked that protective film under the bezels so that it wouldn't look like something that can be peeled off. This reeks of some last moment manufacturing adjustment because they figured out that something is wrong when it was already too late, and the batch of the phones already manufactured.

That makes too much sense. Makes your follow up even more believable.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, imagine defending the fact that a $2000 phone can be very easily damaged without even trying.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Not to mention that of course they should have tucked that protective film under the bezels so that it wouldn't look like something that can be peeled off. This reeks of some last moment manufacturing adjustment because they figured out that something is wrong when it was already too late, and the batch of the phones was already manufactured and ready for sale.

Hahaha, yeah. If this is supposed to be as vital to the functioning of the device as the actual display glass is, make it as hard to remove as the damn display glass. At the very least do something big and unignorable like putting a giant sticker on the phone that says that removing the layer is likely to cause screen breakage