• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This will only get worse when it hits consumers. I think this will be delayed, and at worst pulled.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will be fun to visit when these things fail in the hands of consumers. I don't expect them to hold up very well.

Oct 27, 2017
How about delayed and forgotten?

It ain't going to be forgotten though considering how much they spent on R&D on this device. This isn't a Note 7, which can be easily be binned.

Delayed maybe. But I doubt they'd just pull it or forget it especially as Huawei is releasing their fold phone soon. Would be embarsssing for Samsung and further cement Huawei position as currently probably the top phone manufacturer.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A WaPo reporter released this via Twitter:

3ywu9AY.gif

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
that unboxingtherapy or what's his face shill is probably working on 5 videos right now trying to tell you how spending 2k on faulty hardware is ok

don't worry, samsung is on it
Why is he a shill? Because he doesn't bend to Apple? I mean, if he is a shill, you are a pot and he's the kettle.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It ain't going to be forgotten though considering how much they spent on R&D on this device. This isn't a Note 7, which can be easily be binned.

Delayed maybe. But I doubt they'd just pull it or forget it especially as Huawei is releasing their fold phone soon. Would be embarsssing for Samsung and further cement Huawei position as currently probably the top phone manufacturer.
I think the Huawei might suffer from similar issues eventually. The R&D that Samsung spent ain't lost though, it can be put to future use and they have a head start in foldables as of now. But I can still see them delaying it for now with it being "AirPower'ed" down the line with them unveiling a new design when the tech is more mature.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have this pre-ordered?

I get wanting clear and true information to be out there, but you seem particularly passionate about this.

It's probably due to the fact that since people started getting review units 2 days ago, I've been reading all the articles I could and watching every YouTube video I could and have seen nothing like the kind of "THIS PRODUCT IS DOOMED" issues portrayed in this thread.

Then I open this thread and see that apparently there's a massive issue.

Then I see that out of the four reports, two were self inflicted damage, with the most widely spread of the two from a guy who dishonestly failed to mention that he fucked up the screen himself. Then I see his official job title is "Apple and Devices News for Bloomberg" and I start to get skeptical.

I check on all the tech youtubers who I saw have the fold.......... no issues whatsoever. Mkbhd damaged his unit himself, but was honest enough to make that clear.

I just think it's weird that all the people on YouTube who have already uploaded or ar still filming hours of footage of them using their Folds in and out of their studios, none of them are reporting on what appears to be such a product killing issue.

Which makes me wonder If it actually is?

One cnbc tech news guy and...... the verge suffer two completely different issues and....

SAMSUNG GALAXY FOLD HAS MAJOR SCREEN ISSUE WITH MANY REPORTING THEIR SCREENS DIED AFTER JUST DAYS OF USE!!!!!!

Type in Galaxy Fold in Google and that's all you see. The many youtubers who have the fold aren't making the doomsday videos, but the people who don't are starting to pile in with the click bait videos that only reference the articles you'll see in Google, which turns out only consists of two actual units having issues.

I just think I'll wait for more news of a widespread issue that has an actual issue that can be narrowed down rather than two separate issues that doesn't exist anywhere else among the tech reviewing world.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
What gets me is that these are review units. You'd think they'd send out the best built products to reviewers and influencers to prevent negative pre-release news.

If that's true, damn.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
It's probably due to the fact that since people started getting review units 2 days ago, I've been reading all the articles I could and watching every YouTube video I could and have seen nothing like the kind of "THIS PRODUCT IS DOOMED" issues portrayed in this thread.

Then I open this thread and see that apparently there's a massive issue.

Then I see that out of the four reports, two were self inflicted damage, with the most widely spread of the two from a guy who dishonestly failed to mention that he fucked up the screen himself. Then I see his official job title is "Apple and Devices News for Bloomberg" and I start to get skeptical.

I check on all the tech youtubers who I saw have the fold.......... no issues whatsoever. Mkbhd damaged his unit himself, but was honest enough to make that clear.

I just think it's weird that all the people on YouTube who have already uploaded or ar still filming hours of footage of them using their Folds in and out of their studios, none of them are reporting on what appears to be such a product killing issue.

Which makes me wonder If it actually is?

One cnbc tech news guy and...... the verge suffer two completely different issues and....

SAMSUNG GALAXY FOLD HAS MAJOR SCREEN ISSUE WITH MANY REPORTING THEIR SCREENS DIED AFTER JUST DAYS OF USE!!!!!!

I just think I'll wait for more news of a widespread issue that has an actual issue that can be narrowed down rather than two separate issues that doesn't exist anywhere else among the tech reviewing world.

FU1pNms.jpg

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's the thing with this, we don't know that it's widespread yet, what even is the actual issue (is it even a defect?), and people are losing their heads over it as if they were gonna drop 2k themselves.
It's mostly fanboys who wanted this product to fail to begin with.

Oct 27, 2017
It's mostly fanboys who wanted this product to fail to begin with.

Which is sad as Samsung could have easily played it safe like Apple and wait for the others to release the foldable phones first and then react. They took the risk and they deserve credit for trying to pioneer new stuff. Yes it's costly, but it's not for everyone and the price should come down in a few years when most manufacturers are releasing one.

Companies should be credited for trying to deliver something new.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Which is sad as Samsung could have easily played it safe like Apple and wait for the others to release the foldable phones first and then react. They took the risk and they deserve credit for trying to pioneer new stuff. Yes it's costly, but it's not for everyone and the price should come down in a few years when most manufacturers are realising one.

As stagnant as phones have become, I'm inclined to agree, but I guess the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is something that will forever prevail. Or like that other poster said: fanboys.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Which is sad as Samsung could have easily played it safe like Apple and wait for the others to release the foldable phones first and then react. They took the risk and they deserve credit for trying to pioneer new stuff. Yes it's costly, but it's not for everyone and the price should come down in a few years when most manufacturers are realising one.

Yeah, it's a shame. It could have been something great. But here we are.

Oct 26, 2017

Or they could wait until the tech is actually ready rather than trying to force it, if this breaking issue turns out to be more widespread than just a handful of units.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My concern would be, since due to user stupidity/not reading warnings in taking off the film: how easy will it be to have that film come off with normal wear and tear, if you can physically take it off yourself thinking it's a protector?

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is sad as Samsung could have easily played it safe like Apple and wait for the others to release the foldable phones first and then react. They took the risk and they deserve credit for trying to pioneer new stuff. Yes it's costly, but it's not for everyone and the price should come down in a few years when most manufacturers are releasing one.

Just because you can throw something out on the market that's got some innovation doesn't mean that you should unless it can live up to some quality standards. This isn't a $99 device, it's $2000. There should be some responsibility in putting out a product this expensive, instead of something that could possibly break within days of normal usage. Who knows if this is wide spread or not with the units manufactured, but being first to market could potentially be an issue for Samsung if the units are defective.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Just because you can throw something out on the market that's got some innovation doesn't mean that you should unless it can live up to some quality standards. This isn't a $99 device, it's $2000. There should be some responsibility in putting out a product this expensive, instead of something that could possibly break within days of normal usage. Who knows if this is wide spread or not with the units manufactured, but being first to market could potentially be an issue for Samsung if the units are defective.
this is the same company that sold phones that caught on fire and were banned on airplanes

you think they give a shit about quality control? at-least this one just breaks easily and doesn't try to kill you ....so it's an improvement

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just don't understand how you come to release a 2k phone that has something on the screen that even looks as though there is a chance that it is removable.

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't understand how you come to release a 2k phone that has something on the screen that even looks as though there is a chance that it is removable.

As someone above mentioned, it sounds like something added last minute because they discovered an issue in testing.

Otherwise, why not put the plastic sheet under the edges of the phone to make it non-removable? If this can be pulled right off, good luck taking it out of your pocket a few dozen times without the edge peeling.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone above mentioned, it sounds like something added last minute because they discovered an issue in testing.

Otherwise, why not put the plastic sheet under the edges of the phone to make it non-removable? If this can be pulled right off, good luck taking it out of your pocket a few dozen times without the edge peeling.

Most people probably won't be pocketing this thing while it's open. But the design seems insanely bad regardless.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

That's precisely what I was thinking. Even more so when you take into account that it doesn't fold fully closed and there is enough room for potentially having things go in that gap. I know you probably don't want to be putting it in your pocket with other stuff but it will happen eventually. If I accidentally end up putting a card or train ticket or something in that pocket without thinking, it could easily slide in the gap and start to chip up at the corner/edge of the film.

As you say, it seems like a last minute addition but that begs the question of how you can design, prototype, test and ultimately mass produce a product where this problem doesn't come up. What an absolute shambles.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They're opening themselves wide open, but this is the issue you deal with making any new product like this. Can't say I'm feeling sympathetic, although it's gonna suck for adoption of this tech. I think people forget that. With the ps5 coming out next year it'll have its own fair share of issues. Happens a lot with electronics ...

I bought a PS4 at launch and has no issues with it. Wasn't the controller the biggest issue? I know some of them were really loud, but I don't know if I had a decent unit in terms of fan noise.