• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Foldgate to compete with Bendgate and Flexgate.
Technically Samsung already had its own bendgates (after they of course gloated about Apple's troubles.)

But really that's just another example of how dumb and trivializing the -gate suffix is. It has to be given a catchy name and spread around before there's actually real useful information on how widespread something is.

Which is sad as Samsung could have easily played it safe like Apple and wait for the others to release the foldable phones first and then react. They took the risk and they deserve credit for trying to pioneer new stuff. Yes it's costly, but it's not for everyone and the price should come down in a few years when most manufacturers are releasing one.

Companies should be credited for trying to deliver something new.

You shouldn't get credit for releasing bad products that need more time to cook, and historically that's never been a smart path to success anyhow.

I'm sure Apple and other tech companies all have currently-terrible folding phones in their R&D labs. They should be credited for not trying to charge $2000 for bad implementations of technology.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
Which is sad as Samsung could have easily played it safe like Apple and wait for the others to release the foldable phones first and then react. They took the risk and they deserve credit for trying to pioneer new stuff. Yes it's costly, but it's not for everyone and the price should come down in a few years when most manufacturers are releasing one.

Innovation is nice and all but not like this. Review units should not be breaking 2 days in.

Nov 30, 2018
A WaPo reporter released this via Twitter:

3ywu9AY.gif

What's his point?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a PS4 at launch and has no issues with it. Wasn't the controller the biggest issue? I know some of them were really loud, but I don't know if I had a decent unit in terms of fan noise.
Usually with any new console there's unintended bricking. I don't remember what ps4 was but I remember being something. Not for x1 though, but admittedly I never bought one so I don't recall completely. Switch was screen scratching. And then there's the iPhone bending.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I can't see them releasing it at this state. What's the failure rate inside of 30/60/90 days? What will these things look like at the one year mark? Someone successfully folding it 100 times for Twitter doesn't really satisfy as a QA check.

Whatever 'prestige' might have come initially in the afterglow of the announcement will be a long-forgotten memory and the fallout won't be worth it.

If even a few iPhone reviewer units failed so spectacularly the forums and tech world would be in meltdown. Shit happens, everything has a non-zero failure rate, but this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I probably would've peeled it off too if there wasn't any warning stickers. Still excited to get mine, but I hope the next revisions have this protective layer under the glass (if that's even possible)

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least we know that they didn't send the press special units.

But damn, what a fuck up. Won't hurt them in the long run though, even the faulty note didn't.

Feb 1, 2018
This product was very obviously rushed to market in efforts to come off as "innovative" and "the first", and it has backfired. You need flexible glass, it prevents the breaking and also won't give you a fucking visible crease down the middle.

It will be forgotten for 10-20 years until LGR makes a retro video about it

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
It probably doesn't do anything, it's just something they can point to in order to explain why they aren't giving you your money back. "Oh see you voided the warranty, lol too bad"

That's my feeling too. If it's thin enough and flexible enough for the phone to fold like that then i don't know what that would do for the screen.

And if it was so crucial that it's literally needed for the screen not to break, they wouldn't have made it removable.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
What? people are literally defending Samsung putting a cheap plastic film covering on a 2000 dollar phone and its completely normal that they have to warn consumers not to remove the film, that on every other phone, is just shipping protection?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Folding phones, exploding phones, curved screens. Samsung is the master of making shit no one ever asked for.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait this wasn't marketed as a super beta testing prototype kind of release for bored millonaires and yt celebs?
If this was a serous release they should stop selling them.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
This was what I was wondering. We have the Verge, CNBC, and Bloomberg saying theirs are fucked. You can't possibly put out a $2,000 device that is breaking so quick you have time to go dig the packaging out of the trashcan before it gets picked up for the week.

Why would you do that?
You have to wait for the situation to unfold before judging.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

how about they deliver something new and reliable? Nobody's pointing their finger at Samsung for being innovative - they're getting the due respect for their innovation.
What people are critisizing them for is selling a device that seems to have a really high failure rate at a price of almost 2000 dollars.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
How the hell do you even put a product like this out when it's still so damn undercooked. I will never get that.