• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
After months of anticipation, Sony and Microsoft have started releasing concrete details for their upcoming flagship next-gen consoles, the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X. After days of press releases, blog posts, and presentations... I am mostly just tired of hearing the word "teraflop."

It's not that the specific measurement of computational power for graphics cards is getting me down; rather, it's the entire approach that Microsoft and Sony have taken to announce their respective next-generation consoles. Both companies have decided that the first and most important message to give customers and developers is about the pure hardware specifications. And so, just over half a year away from these consoles launching, the only thing we really know about them is cold, hard numbers: how fast the processors are; how many compute units the GPUs have; how quickly the SSDs can process data; how much RAM they have; and, of course, the often-bragged-about teraflop count.

Show a tech demo! Or an actual game! Companies need to stop taking the entire exercise so seriously. These are boxes that play video games, a form of entertainment that is ostensibly supposed to be fun. Why not actually show that, instead of treating the details like Cold War intel that needs to be carefully distributed

Because right now, for all the speeds and specs that have been promised, we have little idea of what this actually means for next-gen games. All we have to go on are a pre-rendered trailer, a few screenshots, and a few videos showing faster load times on mostly older games

Compare Microsoft and Sony's first looks at their consoles to Nintendo's reveal for the Switch. The focus is on the experience of playing the console, the joy that it brings to people in different ways. There were games shown off that Nintendo hadn't officially announced for the Switch at that point, some of which wouldn't arrive for at least a year from when they were first seen in the trailer. Sure, Nintendo also gave hardware details as to how powerful the Switch was, but it wasn't the spotlight — playing games was.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/19/...x-playstation-5-ps5-specs-games-announcements

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't necessarily disagree but there's a difference in timing with the Switch and these two consoles. The Switch was revealed a lot closer to its release.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
who cares about being boring. The are million (billion?) dollar investments. Why do a live e3 showing or whatever and risk the CRINGE! Comments. I like the way they're doing it.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Absolutely. I don't care about any of that. Show me the box! Show me the games! Show me what the machine is capable of actually showing me something instead of telling me.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
live press conferences and extravaganza are not an option right now and they put together what they showed on a short notice of like a few weeks. Their plans got ruined.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Show a tech demo! Or an actual game! Companies need to stop taking the entire exercise so seriously. These are boxes that play video games, a form of entertainment that is ostensibly supposed to be fun. Why not actually show that, instead of treating the details like Cold War intel that needs to be carefully distributed

Umm didn't Microsoft do that just a few days ago? The Gears 5 and Minecraft tech demos?

Hell they even had a hands-on with the actual hardware.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
mfw Xbox revealed what the new box and controller looked like at a public stage and showed off a brand new game with it....

k

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Would not be surprised if we are at or over one million videogames created.

Plenty to play right now, no point even spending on new yet

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean Xbox came from out of no where with the console reveal and a hype trailer for hellblade.

The marketing has been fun and light with Phil Spencer doing introductory words before reveals.

Sony gave us melatonin in a suit.

Edit: I'm.not expecting games until June.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
We living in a Pandemic, need some kinda of entertainment.. not clicking that won't give shit article a click...

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games sell consoles, not tech specs. I couldn't care less about that stuff. Show me the gaaaaaaaaaames.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I agree with the article, but I mean, it doesn't really matter too much in the end because it's not like the consoles themselves are taking the wrong direction (cough cough original Xbox One).

Could've definitely gone with a bit more glamour and showing games, but I guess there's plenty of time for that still.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've kinda grown out of the need for everything to be exciting.

This is the same as how people lament new management from whichever company is not as entertaining as the last guy.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Clearly they couldn't compete with Nintendo rooftop game parties

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Don't disagree .
It would be great to see some games on these systems.
Last gen we had demos and gameplay already .

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS4 Meeting was still the GOAT console reveal.

no expectations.
You get some smooth talking cerny.
hardware specs
8GBGDDR5
a bit of OS talk
And of course, KNACK!
and some other gameplay demoes too

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
With the coronavirus and e3 canceled I don't know what more could really be expected, as we aren't even sure at this point if the consoles will launch this year even. MS has been fairly good at showing stuff imo.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
No, they're not.

I'm sorry, just because we watched Cerny talking about SSDs for 1 hour it doesn't mean a XSX reveal, out of nowhere, at Game Awards followed by a GAME that's one of their studio's most awaited sequels is now boring.

quibbler

Nov 11, 2017
It will start getting interesting to me when they decide to show tech demos for next-gen games and reveal price and release date info.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Um MS is doing great revealing the Series X. Sony I can see calling bad.
I agree with Sony being bad.

Microsoft is better than bad, but none of this has been exciting yet, lol. Reading blog posts isn't really my bag.

Hope this coronavirus situations gets resolved with enough time for some live audience events. That's where the excitement is.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're doing it this way to prepare us for the potential sticker shock once they reveal the prices. Its so obvious

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think MS's strategy has been pretty on point. The reveal at TGAs was not boring. They might not have really shown gameplay of games running on Series X but what they have shown has been just enough to set expectations and tide me over until the full teasers/reveals at E3. I can't really say that about PS5 yet. I will agree that it's been odd how much both have been using current gen games to display the power/gains for next gen, but honestly it's pretty effective for the purposes they've been using them for.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Preach. Show some games! Where's Halo Infinite? What are the PS5 launch titles? Let the games do the talking!

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. We still haven't had Killzone Shadowfall/Ryse gameplay moment, where everyone collectively goes, "oh fuck, that's gameplay!"

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares. 10 minutes of hype is so irrelevant in the 10 years we'll have these systems.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS is doing well, people have a fair idea of what next gen means. E3 will be it's blowout. So everything from the article has been taken care of.

May 13, 2018
I enjoyed what MS put out this week. It was great to get all of the information and get hands on videos after all of the speculation.