• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
They should have made smaller games instead, which they did eventually. Heck I used tutorials to cut the video files out of games like Ridge Racer to get them to just 100MB or so. But it was also part of a 'classic era Sony electronics' stupid plan to sell movies and crap on their new DVD version of minidisk.

Well the biggest system selling software of PSP in 2005 was GTA Liberty City Stories. Game had size of 1.2Gb. If you wanted somewhat PS2 caliber games during early PSP era cards were non option. I mean early DS games were on at max 128Mb cards.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The PSP was an amazing console and, at the time, just mind-blowing.

I remember wanting one so badly. The DS and PSP hold a lot of memories for me.

The legacy of the PSP is undeniable.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
You ask yourself where first party JRPGs went. The answer is PSP. Since White Knight Chronicles Origin was the last one in 2011 we haven't seen any effort on JRPGs from Sony. Sure, they brought back Oreshika on PS Vita but that is not even impressive. Everything else were multiplayer action games like the hunting genre.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I love my PSP to death. Still carry it around sometimes. The library was good, PSX on PSP was my jam, homebrew scene was amazing and it just had the right size to not be a bother in the pocket while having a good screen. By the time the Vita came out it never captivate me the same way though, weirdly enough.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I never had a PsP or Vita but I appreciated the way Sony brought some power to the handheld market. Some really good looking handheld games.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love my PSP to death. Still carry it around sometimes. The library was good, PSX on PSP was my jam, homebrew scene was amazing and it just had the right size to not be a bother in the pocket while having a good screen. By the time the Vita came out it never captivate me the same way though, weirdly enough.
I'm with you there, the Vita was good and all but the PSP was truly something special. After coming from the GBA it felt like a huge leap forward for me in regards to how powerful a portable system could be.

Great library too, and then with homebrew we could play emulators up to PS1, just crazy.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
When it comes to Sony's home consoles, I've only truly loved the first PlayStation.

But I'd be first in line for another portable.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Purely from a visual perspective I prefer the white PSP to the white Vita, though both are beaut designs.

white-psp__67272.1557941744.jpg

5d8cb98d0361b9003af260b4

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I always preferred the build quality of their portable systems compared to Nintendo's which felt cheap in comparison. The PSP in particular felt like something from the future. You were getting near-PS2 quality titles on a handheld. It would be years before the rest of the industry caught up and unfortunately by the time the Vita came out it did. At the end of the day it was Nintendo's game to lose. They pretty much had it to themselves from the beginning. Sony managed to deliver the most serious competition they ever had in the space. 80 million units is nothing to slouch at. It also had its shortcomings at well. They were never able to fully deliver their promise of console gaming on the go due to hardware and design limitations. People just didn't want lesser versions and spin-offs of popular titles. Smartphones pretty much took care of the rest to the point where the market wasn't big enough to sustain more than one hardware manufacturer. Nintendo found the perfect balance by streamlining their development pipeline into one product with the Switch, but Sony decided not to spread themselves too thin and cut their losses to focus on their strengths with VR and console gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The PSP (and even my later PSP Go) were beloved items -- as much as my DS Lite. It was everything: a not-quite-but-almost portable PS2 (especially with the portable GTA games, Persona 3 Portable, Gran Turismo, etc.), web browser and iPod. The RSS feature alone was very useful to me -- lots of automatic downloads of the 1Up Show / podcasts.

Ahhh... nostalgia.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I always preferred the build quality of their portable systems compared to Nintendo's which felt cheap in comparison. The PSP in particular felt like something from the future. You were getting near-PS2 quality titles on a handheld. It would be years before the rest of the industry caught up and unfortunately by the time the Vita came out it did. At the end of the day it was Nintendo's game to lose. They pretty much had it to themselves from the beginning. Sony managed to deliver the most serious competition they ever had in the space. 80 million units is nothing to slouch at. It also had its shortcomings at well. They were never able to fully deliver their promise of console gaming on the go due to hardware and design limitations. People just didn't want lesser versions and spin-offs of popular titles. Smartphones pretty much took care of the rest to the point where the market wasn't big enough to sustain more than one hardware manufacturer. Nintendo found the perfect balance by streamlining their development pipeline into one product with the Switch, but Sony decided not to spread themselves too thin and cut their losses to focus on their strengths with VR and console gaming.

I don't think it was a matter of catching up since console quality on handhelds were a thing even in the 90s with stuff like the Game Gear. The problem was that console quality handhelds always lost to the 'inferior' Gameboy. Sony gave the best case for console quality on the go that was somewhat affordable and didn't eat through batteries, but Sony didn't have the full understanding that console gaming isn't exactly the same as handheld gaming. That and it was obvious that Sony put their B Team on their handhelds, compared to Nintendo given then handhelds the best treatment possible.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I don't think it was a matter of catching up since console quality on handhelds were a thing even in the 90s with stuff like the Game Gear. The problem was that console quality handhelds always lost to the 'inferior' Gameboy.
The Game Boy had a faster CPU of the same type as the 'console quality' Game Gear.

The issue was battery life, size, and price. These were things the PSP got closer to acceptable in but also added in load times for disks.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Just wish they didn't choose a proprietary memory card...I get they wanted to stave off piracy/emulation but those prices killed so much interest. I still own my OLED version and my 2000 version.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The Game Boy had a faster CPU of the same type as the 'console quality' Game Gear.

The issue was battery life, size, and price. These were things the PSP got closer to acceptable in but also added in load times for disks.

Which I addressed in my original post:

Sony gave the best case for console quality on the go that was somewhat affordable and didn't eat through batteries,

The PSP's main fatal flaw was its games. Sony didn't have a full understanding that portable gaming wasn't quite the same as console gaming, and they put their B Teams on their handhelds instead of major players like Naughty Dog. In fact, I believe Naughty Dog scoffed at the notion at developing for a handheld.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The two greatest handhelds of all time. You people fucking disgust me. Vita didn't fail. People failed the Vita. If there was any justice Vita would have been the most popular system of the generation, had support from everyone and right now I'd be losing my shit in excitement over the upcoming PSP3. The fact we will never get a PSP3 is a travesty. Absolutely disgusting you should all be ashamed of yourselves. Something of great value has been lost without Sony in the handheld market.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The two greatest handhelds of all time. You people fucking disgust me. Vita didn't fail. People failed the Vita. If there was any justice Vita would have been the most popular system of the generation, had support from everyone and right now I'd be losing my shit in excitement over the upcoming PSP3. The fact we will never get a PSP3 is a travesty. Absolutely disgusting you should all be ashamed of yourselves. Something of great value has been lost without Sony in the handheld market.

Sony killed the Vita themselves.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Was this Sony at their most ambitious? I love both of Sony's handhelds but I feel like Sony's only ambition with them was to make something more powerful than Nintendo's handheld efforts which isn't nothing but also I wouldn't say that's a crazy ambitious approach.

Also, I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion that I get a lot of heat for but outside of Tearaway and the Wipeout games I feel like most of Sony's first party output on those handhelds was largely uninspired and unambitious. While Nintendo was often great about putting top tier talent on making handheld entries and often tailoring those entries to the hardware & portability in notable ways Sony's approach was generally to have a B tier dev team put out a mediocre entry to a beloved franchise that could've just been released on a console (and sometimes were with some of those PSP to PS2 ports).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Was this Sony at their most ambitious? I love both of Sony's handhelds but I feel like Sony's only ambition with them was to make something more powerful than Nintendo's handheld efforts which isn't nothing but also I wouldn't say that's a crazy ambitious approach.

Also, I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion that I get a lot of heat for but outside of Tearaway and the Wipeout games I feel like most of Sony's first party output on those handhelds was largely uninspired and unambitious. While Nintendo was often great about putting top tier talent on making handheld entries and often tailoring those entries to the hardware & portability in notable ways Sony's approach was generally to have a B tier dev team put out a mediocre entry to a beloved franchise that could've just been released on a console (and sometimes were with some of those PSP to PS2 ports).

I think it's generally agreed that Sony's handhelds had meh 1st party support outside of gems like Gravity Rush, but PSP and to a lesser extent Vita had very good Japanese 3rd support.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
PSP was truly Sony in its most ambitious form. They went for the jugular with Nintendo. It was supposed to be the PS2/GameCube massacre all over again.
But Nintendo was less ambitious and more ingenious and won in the end.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Shoulda supported (micro) SD 🤷‍♂️

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
PSP was truly Sony in its most ambitious form. They went for the jugular with Nintendo. It was supposed to be the PS2/GameCube massacre all over again.
But Nintendo was less ambitious and more ingenious and won in the end.

I have to slightly disagree. The DS was indeed ambitious since Nintendo was abandoning their tried and true Gameboy, which was still selling a lot with the GameBoy Advance, to try something different with the DS. Granted, they did it so if their idea sucked it wouldn't take the GameBoy's name with it, but the DS was indeed an ambitious undertaking for Nintendo since they left their confront zone.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with the premise since I think Sony was the most ambitious during the PS1 and PS2 era when it comes to hardware but I disagree with the idea that they gave up on the PSP software wise. The Vita sure, they really just stopped supporting that thing but the PSP had great first party (and great 3rd party support) for it's entire life.

You can say this about most systems, especially retroactively when you aren't dealing with the price and context of the time. But it was clear from Sony's side these were a side gig, they weren't diverting any of their best resources to it which was in direct contrast to Nintendo's strategy. It just happened that a few 3rd parties saw decent uptake because they were able to port some of their PS2 properties to it. And for companies like Capcom that leaned into it with their A-game, they got a decent reward. But it's pretty permissive to allow Sony to take credit for that.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Still can't believe how much Sony shit the bag with the Vita.

God damn OLED (far too early and expensive) and the memory cards...

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I have to slightly disagree. The DS was indeed ambitious since Nintendo was abandoning their tried and true Gameboy, which was still selling a lot with the GameBoy Advance, to try something different with the DS. Granted, they did it so if their idea sucked it wouldn't take the GameBoy's name with it, but the DS was indeed an ambitious undertaking for Nintendo since they left their confront zone.

Well, since the DS was almost like a side project, that's why they weren't ambitious. Sony went for a portable PS2 dominance. That's ambition.

But Nintendo is not a "Goodie goodie" company. They also have lots of ambition, that's not a bad word in my mind.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well, since the DS was almost like a side project, that's why they weren't ambitious. Sony went for a portable PS2 dominance. That's ambition.

But Nintendo is not a "Goodie goodie" company. They also have lots of ambition, that's not a bad word in my mind.

It really wasn't a side project given that Nintendo put their top teams on it. Sony in comparison didn't put their best on PSP. In fact, they tried to 'dominant' with B tier teams, while Nintendo put a new 2D Mario on the DS after they did nothing but port Mario games to the GameBoy Advance.

Not sure what being 'Goodie goodie' or not have to do with this.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

b1b.jpg

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time with PSP and now I'm enjoying my Vita, but damn the fact you need mod the console to bypass the storage limitation is such a stupid choice from Sony.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The switch fucking proved that if people have a choice between playing the same game on the TV vs on a Portable device, they WILL CHOSE THE PORTABLE DEVICE. This was the dream of the Vita- having MLB the Show be able to cross save with the PS3 version was incredible. But then, the PS4 came out, and the idea of having Cross-play games basically went away apart from Indie games

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The switch fucking proved that if people have a choice between playing the same game on the TV vs on a Portable device, they WILL CHOSE THE PORTABLE DEVICE. This was the dream of the Vita- having MLB the Show be able to cross save with the PS3 version was incredible. But then, the PS4 came out, and the idea of having Cross-play games basically went away apart from Indie games

Actually, the Switch proves that people like the option to chose between the TV and portable. Even Nintendo's own research shows that there is a 50/50 split between those who play on dock and those who play handheld.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I kinda agree, and I kinda don't. Their vision for the platform itself was ambitious - but they lacked an ambitious game strategy. The early GTA games on PSP were mega, but not much beyond that.

The difference between Nintendo and Sony is that Nintendo doesn't treat their handhelds as a secondary platform. The PSP and Vita were always secondary to the PS2 and PS3/4.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The PSP and Vita were not only innovative devices in their own right, but the most daunting competitors Nintendo ever faced in the handheld space. They're more than just a footnote in the PlayStation story.

Imagine calling the Vita a "daunting competitor" for anything other than "most easily forgotten console"

imagine living that life

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They weren't ambitious at all. Both were fairly mild takes on handheld gaming not dissimilar to what anyone else had tried, just with more contemporary tech. And then they didn't support them well, clearly deprioritizing them in terms of game investment. If these are Sony being ambitious, I think it says quite a lot about Sony and not in a good way.

What? There was nothing like PSP. It was incredibly ambitious.

Imagine calling the Vita a "daunting competitor" for anything other than "most easily forgotten console"

imagine living that life

Imagine meme-ing and goofing on PSP/Vita whenever they get brought up on Era.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the writing was on the wall for this. Vita scratched the surface with what would eventually become the main selling point of the Switch. People bought indies on Vita because they were the best place to play them. Cross save and Cross buy were expensive versions of what the Switch would eventually bring into full focus. Sony could have been there but they are a modern company. They look at something at face value and pivot to what data shows the market wants. The difference with Nintendo is they look a bit deeper and try to predict where market is going beyond what is right in front of them. This leads to bombs like the Wii U sometimes but it also leads to great things like the DS, Wii, and the Switch.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

I feel it's moreso a case of :

1) the ability to seamlessly switch between tethered and untethered play was a function people didn't realize they wanted until it was presented to them, at least in the manner Nintendo presented it with its reveal. I mean when I first saw the commercial with the guy playing on his TV, removing the console from the dock, taking the dog out to the park and then picking up where he left off with the untethered device......it was so simple, obvious and brilliant in a 'wow, how didn't I know I wanted this?!' kinda way.

2) not having to purchase 2 systems( home and portable) with distinct ecosystems. Everything coming from Nintendo over the next half decade( and likely beyond) is all available on one platform. Doing this has positioned the Switch to go down as one of the great consoles in gaming history( IMHO of course).

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima PerĂş
The PSP vs DS debate was wild. I wonder, if Nintendo would not chase the casual market, how different would have been the situation because PSP really outdid DS in every way.

I remember buying a DS near launch because Nintendo and being salty for years for not getting a PSP (well I could have not afford by then). DS has grow to me to be my second worst console purchase.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
had a Vita but never played it after Persona 4 Golden. Prefered the 3ds lol

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Hmm, disagree. The GBA had continued Nintendo's Game Boy strategy of having very very cheap hardware, two generations old graphics, to reach kids. PSP was like PS1.6, released during the PS2's run. It was a premium product rather than an entry level one. Their 'handheld gaming out of the ghetto' rhetoric was tasteless but there was some truth to it in terms of technology. Compared the PS1 pad being a straight SNES clone with just some arbitrary differentiation like stupid 'conceptual' button names, and them hastily slapping analogue sticks on that pad once the competition showed their value.

What would have a more straight forward evolution of GBA lead to? Basically to a PSP esque system without the inapropriate UMD format. It's no surprise that PSP was followed up by PSV. Switch Lite is also basically a current gen GBA in its design, obviously with more advanced features that were established in over a decade after GBA.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
A new Sony handheld can be successful, but Sony has to put the full weight of their mainline IPs behind it, like Nintendo has done with the Switch, not spinoff shit from outsourced developers.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The PSP (and even my later PSP Go) were beloved items -- as much as my DS Lite. It was everything: a not-quite-but-almost portable PS2 (especially with the portable GTA games, Persona 3 Portable, Gran Turismo, etc.), web browser and iPod. The RSS feature alone was very useful to me -- lots of automatic downloads of the 1Up Show / podcasts.

Ahhh... nostalgia.

PSP was the best place to watch the 1UP Show. <3 Good times.

A++