• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yoday

Apr 8, 2018
I agree. I've had a PS4 since launch, and I keep it for the average of two exclusives a year that I care about, but the Xbox One has been the much better platform for me.

Everything about the Xbox One is just better for me. All of the little things like download speeds, much better library UI(though the PS4 is finally starting to catch up there), disc to digital not requiring a reinstall, and system noise really add up and make for better experience. Then there are the bigger things like backwards compatibility, a much better game save system that takes care of everything for you between multiple systems, the better controller, and now the more powerful hardware. The only thing I feel that the PS4 does better is media sharing. Even with the new XBO update that makes sharing pretty much on par with the PS4, the PS4 will always have that ingenious share button.

MS has really brought the platform around from a bad start. Exclusives over the last year may have been in a bad place, but that's a fluid process on all platforms, and it's not something I even consider because I'll aways eventually own every system that has exclusives that I want to play. For me the important things are those that make for a better all around platform, as 90% of my gaming is third party.

Xbox's BC support has also added a level of confedence for me that I simply don't have with Sony. I'm a purely digital gamer, and MS has shown a dedication to compatibility and digital licence support that makes me feel confident that my purchases will carry over to future platforms. Sony is the exact opposite for me. People treat PS5 BC has an inevitability, but Sony has shown zero interest in it outside of PS Now, and went so far as to repackage PS2 games to sell them again. That kind of practice gives me no confidence in how they handle licences in the future, and as such I only buy exclusives on the PS4, and only in physical form.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Theyre not wrong if you're talking about the X. It's not perfect at all but if you only play multiplats it's the way to go, I mean it released last though so it better be.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's the best place to play previous generation games, the best place to play multiplatform games, has the best OS/platform features by far, and has the best exclusive MP games by far.

The only thing it's missing are exclusive cinematic single player games and niche Japanese games really. As someone that does not care about them in the slightest, the Xbox is clearly the best console. Sony gives me no reason to buy a PS4.

This thread will end well for sure. Definitely won't end like all the other ones that have something positive about the Xbox.

Right, but personally, just like the movies, I rather go see a new well-reviewed big-budget movie than a remastered movie from the 90s in a better looking theater.
You do know that the Xbox still gets 95% of the new well reviewed big-budget games too though, right?

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Theyre not wrong if you're talking about the X. It's not perfect at all but if you only play multiplats it's the way to go, I mean it released last though so it better be.

At a higher price too. I think MS misjudged how much the power difference mattered at this point, though Xbox One games being compared to PS4 Pro games would have been pretty ugly. Maybe all this power talk can carry over to the next gen if they have the more powerful box.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but i would pick more exclusives than enhanced BC any day of the week. It's literally the purpose of upgrading the console in the first place.

The irony is even with BC the majority of the popular games are 3rd party.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Services and BC are excellent side dishes but they're still side dishes.
Difficult to put all your marketing and hype upon these features.
You'll always find people valuing more these propositions instead of exclusives or willing to stay with Xbox because of friends or controller but that's a minority and that's why Xbox is in second place.
Even in the third party territory Sony has almost all the marketing deals locked so it's a tough battle.
Yet you can see their efforts to stay relevant with their strenghts and they're still capable of unique experiments (SoT) but it's still too... rare.

wig

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... it is the best console for third party games so if you don't care about exclusives then it definitely is the best console solely because of that.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
The game sold 40% of its total copies in a country where the XB1 version doesn't exist.

So? I doubt he or anyone else here owns any part of Capcom, and regardless, making it was clearly a positive value proposition.

Pulling numbers out of ones ass to make a useless comment meant to generate salt is kinda the worst.

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course, if you don't care about exclusives, the X is a great console but why wouldn't you care of some of the best game of the generation if you're a gamer ?

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But I care . If I needed to play multiplatform , there's always PC master Race .

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've very much been considering buying a Xbox One recently due to backwards compatibility. It's been happening often recently where they announce something new and my first thought is "wow I want to play that again"

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oooh the obviousness. It's clear that One X has better hardware. PS4 has better games, and that's what matters. At least for me.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but i would pick more exclusives than enhanced BC any day of the week. It's literally the purpose of upgrading the console in the first place.

The irony is even with BC the majority of the popular games are 3rd party.
Question, would you have picked a PS4 or a XBO during launch window? Curious.

Formless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Antonio, Texas
I have an Xbox X, Switch, and PS4. The Xbox is definitely the better console all around. PS4 does take the cake with good exclusive games. Xbox has their share, but they are pretty damn lackluster. With Xbox bringing more and more games backwards compatible, it's the right choice for me.

The PS4 UI is atrocious unfortunately. They only reason I have one is to play those sweet, sweet niche games like Gundam Breaker.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Question, would you have picked a PS4 or a XBO during launch window? Curious.
I fucked up and got both. One was a great console that I've played consistently since launch. The other one is a Netflix machine (for me, because PC) with a horrible piece of shit camera that loses functionality every time MS pushes out an update.

Let's not pretend that all things were equal at launch. The Xbox had a few extra games. It also cost more and had weaker hardware.

That poster was not implying that games are the only factor, only that exclusive current gen games were more important to them than BC.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I disagree with the contents of the article, but that title is god awful. You can literally write it about so many things.

The PS4 is the best console if you don't care about power.

The Switch is the best console if you don't care about playing on a TV.

The Vita is the best console if you don't care about getting support.

The Ouya is the best console if you don't care about anything in life and want to end it all.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Don't we have a name for people who only like games on one platform and have no interest in games on another platform.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not that I disagree with the contents of the article, but that title is god awful. You can literally write it about so many things.

The PS4 is the best console if you don't care about power.

The Switch is the best console if you don't care about playing on a TV.

The Vita is the best console if you don't care about getting support.

The Ouya is the best console if you don't care about anything in life and want to end it all.

If you dont care about paying an additonal $100, vr, long install times, poor japanese games support, lack of big exclusives, shareplay etc and want somewhat better looking western 3rd party games and some old 360,xbox games then xbox one x is the best console.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I'll be so glad when we can move on to another moment in the console industry. This constant perception war over exclusives is starting to get tired. A even tempered person can't even enjoy a game like the new God of War without all the extra drama about exclusives around it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, PlayStation is on an excellent run that can't be argued, but this is not the status quo. Sony has not always has this stable of impactful exclusives but people talk like they bought PS4s at LAUNCH for games like Horizon and God of War. People like to forget HALO and Gears used to have the same impact, but times have changed, Microsoft made that mistake letting those franchises get old and crusty. Let some people tell it Xbox never had good exclusive games.

The point i'm going to make is this, some of the features Microsoft are pushing right now have long lasting implications for the industry and their platform. Xbox will have good exclusives again just like PlayStation will have a dry spell again. The hits will come and go, but the BC program is a new era for console library permanence.

PS. God of War took for years to develop but people expect Phil to shit out a new IP with the same must play status in nearly the same amount of time, come on man...

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure i made a like comment in 2014, how the tables have turned. And we get this.

Most people knew Microsoft had a questionable first party though and a few decent launch games wasn't going to change that opinion. It was said that once Sony's exclusives got rolling it was going to be hard to match based on the number and first party studios and how the previous generation played out and here we are back to the same scenario. Xbox is kinda playing out strings again prepping for next gen while Sony is closing it out extremely strong.

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be so glad when we can move on to another moment in the console industry. This constant perception war over exclusives is starting to get tired. A even tempered person can't even enjoy a game like the new God of War without all the extra drama about exclusives around it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, PlayStation is on an excellent run that can't be argued, but this is not the status quo. Sony has not always has this stable of impactful exclusives but people talk like they bought PS4s at LAUNCH for games like Horizon and God of War. People like to forget HALO and Gears used to have the same impact, but times have changed, Microsoft made that mistake letting those franchises get old and crusty. Let some people tell it Xbox never had good exclusive games.

The point i'm going to make is this, some of the features Microsoft are pushing right now have long lasting implications for the industry and their platform. Xbox will have good exclusives again just like PlayStation will have a dry spell again. The hits will come and go, but the BC program is a new era for console library permanence.

PS. God of War took for years to develop but people expect Phil to shit out a new IP with the same must play status in nearly the same amount of time, come on man...

Yeah. Seems like people think in 2-3 years MS can output high quality AAA which is not possible because even some of sony games that took years did not sold well. You cannot easily make a high quality AAA these days, and it is just hard and risky to put money on years of development which is why MS cancelled their projects, closed studios and shifted their focus to Services as they realized improving 1st party not gonna give enough returns (they tried with few exclusive but all failed) and also their user base is not single player focused to get sales like Sony gets due to Xbox is not popular enough outside US and UK.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a huge problem for it that doesn't get enough ink. The fact that some publishers are simply choosing NOT to support it sucks for Xbox centric folks. I see no reason why Nier or Persona 5 couldn't launch on Xbox or any other Japanese 3rd party game.
I keep saying: don't bet on Japan with Xbox even with the heavy hitters getting on it.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kinect was not about value added, but they just flew too close to the sun, and they failed because they were just too innovative too fast.

Kinect was all about gathering data and the next generation of advertisement, and the press found out, gamers found out, and they got totally fucking busted on it. They wanted to be a cable provider for one reason alone. It would be the first time TV advertisers could literally watch you as you watch TV. They could tell how many people are in the room and what you are saying, and adjust advertisments based on that. They could literally measure your heart rate, determine if you were hungry, and increase rates of commercials for food. They could also have interactive advertisements that forced you to participate in little games to drill it in your head even more. On top of that, they wanted to kill all used games instantly, and your ability to resell or share anything normally. They wanted to mandate that your console was online at all times, so it could collect data at all times. And all this happened right around the time PRISM got exposed by Edward Snowden, and Microsoft was exposed being the first and most enthusiastic participant in data gathering without user permission or awareness. And on top of that, they wanted you to pay $100 more than the competition for the privilege of getting intrusive ads, and with a weaker console that played games worse than their competitor. On top of that, Kinect barely even had a single game that used its functionality well without massive control inaccuracy, or having the game basically play itself.

Anyone buying Alexa is an idiot. It literally records anything you say in your house. And there have already been cases where courts can request the records of anything you say and use it in court against you.
Now that's some conspiracy theory you got going on there.

The original Xbox plan was NOT always online. It had a 24 hour check in. Big difference. It also was not going to be uploading video or audio constantly.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
In all honesty the backwards compatibility and game pass make the current line up of Xboxes really attractive to me. Like I don't see Sony or Nintendo matching those two things at all in the near future.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
For now. Let's see what happens at E3. I went from 0 interest in a Xbox to about 30% interest this year. If I can wrap up my Wii U and PS3 by Christmas time I may grab a XB1X along with a 4K TV.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
i can't remember the last time i played a game from a previous gen. they genuinely do nothing for me, and the odd few times i might have tried in the past i quickly put them down and played something current. i also have the habit of keeping old hardware, i don't really sell or get rid of my old consoles (aside from my ps2 and gameboy advance, which i gave away and regret it to this day).

that said, i saw a thread about Red Dead Redemption on the X the other day and I was mightily impressed with how good it looked.

thatcatfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I have a problem with the headline (everything else is fine). If someone doesn't "care about exclusive new games", then maybe they don't care about gaming all that much. Meaning a console to them is just a box to play some games and do other things (netflix, blu rays, etc.) And that's fine, plenty of people probably do that already. I feel that the headline should say "... if you don't care about exclusive Sony or Nintendo games". Good article though.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bloodborne: Third person
God of War: Third person
Uncharted the lost legacy: Third person
Horizon Zero Dawn: Third Person
Yakuza 0: Third Person
Ratchet and Clank: Third Person
Driveclub: Well, third person is an option
Nioh: Third Person
Persona: god knows how many persons

CANT YOU SEE THE TRUTH ERA ? CANT YOU SEE ?
So they need a first person game?

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't technically the best place to play Multi plat games, I'm currently playing PES 2018 master league..... With a friend through shareplay as it's impossible to play it 2 player unless he comes around the house. Yet through shareplay he can join and control a player.

That isn't possible on XBX, It doesn't have a shareplay feature, So it's actually the inferior of the 2 systems.

Let alone the whole no VR, Big exclusive talk. Only thing going for it is the superior controller.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i can't remember the last time i played a game from a previous gen. they genuinely do nothing for me, and the odd few times i might have tried in the past i quickly put them down and played something current. i also have the habit of keeping old hardware, i don't really sell or get rid of my old consoles (aside from my ps2 and gameboy advance, which i gave away and regret it to this day).

that said, i saw a thread about Red Dead Redemption on the X the other day and I was mightily impressed with how good it looked.

Who is buying current gen consoles to play old games they've played before 10 years ago.

If these old games mean so much to people why didn't they keep the original games and consoles. Surely you would If they meant that much to you. I've still got my old 360 and PS3 and the games that matter to me incase i ever want that nostalgia hit.

It's such a cop out excuse to bring to the table when talking value. Plus the way people go on about backwards compatibility is you would think the whole Xbox 360 and Xbox library was free. You still need to own the games previously or buy them again.

It's a neat feature, it's a terrible reason to own one solely on the back of it.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean... it is the best console for third party games so if you don't care about exclusives then it definitely is the best console solely because of that.
But around 85 to 90% of xbox1 owners have either original or the slim which is inferior to base PS4 .
So xbx1as a whole is still inferior to PS4 as a whole.yea the 15% xb1x owners have better experience than PS4 pro users but let's not make a general statement that xbx1 is the best place to play 3rd party,cause it isn't . Xb1x is and that's less than 20% of total xbx1 owners