• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Who is buying current gen consoles to play old games they've played before 10 years ago.

If these old games mean so much to people why didn't they keep the original games and consoles. Surely you would If they meant that much to you. I've still got my old 360 and PS3 and the games that matter to me incase i ever want that nostalgia hit.

It's such a cop out excuse to bring to the table when talking value. Plus the way people go on about backwards compatibility is you would think the whole Xbox 360 and Xbox library was free. You still need to own the games previously or buy them again.

It's a neat feature, it's a terrible reason to own one solely on the back of it.

I think it resonates really well with us forum dwellers though. I'm certainly entertaining am X purchase for that reason.

I'd never recommend a One to my more casual gaming friends though.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
And thank god thats a matter of taste.
I dont like any of the PS4 games, so nothing better there for me.

I really don't get this attitude. You blanket don't like 100s of games?

As Microsoft, why would you bother investing in content when many of their most vocal fans are perfectly happy with a fraction of the competitions exclusive content on their system?

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Have they fixed the UI on the XBONX? it was so slow and confusing last time I used it on XBONE that I'd say except for in terms of raw power, the PS4 pro is probably a better platform. On the other hand for some games like Monster Hunter I'd really like to have an XBONX to play it at 60fps

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Have they fixed the UI on the XBONX? it was so slow and confusing last time I used it on XBONE that I'd say except for in terms of raw power, the PS4 pro is probably a better platform. On the other hand for some games like Monster Hunter I'd really like to have an XBONX to play it at 60fps
Whats wrong with the UI on the X? Also in what world do any consoles play MHW at 60 FPS? The resolution option is by far the best if using an X.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Seems about right. They've made a lot of pro-consumer moves this gen, but because I care about exclusives I've only used it like twice over the last year.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I think everyone cares about exclusive games when he/she is making a choice between the consoles.
However, I think it is also not hard to imagine that many cares more about buying a console with best the graphics.

As for me, sure I care about exclusives but I also bought my OG Xbox One way back in 2014 and own lots of digital xbox one games, many of which were now X enhanced. So I jump on X and ditch that ugly OG Xbox One as soon as I got the chance.

And at this point of the console life cycle, all I care about is what good games could I play on the Xbox One X. Turns out, there are tons worth my time.

Honestly, don't understand the logic of no exclusive = no games fan boy whines.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
"Caring about exclusive new games"? What does that even mean?

I care about games. If a game I wanna play comes out on a platform I don't own, then I seriously consider buying it. Simple as that.

I can't give no shit if the game can be played on a platform I don't own with whatever potential superior version or something. Seriously console wars are tiresome.

Both the PS4 and X1 are great consoles (and the Switch is too, with a slightly different take). Why do people always want to have "the best"?

Confirmation bias is awful.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be so glad when we can move on to another moment in the console industry. This constant perception war over exclusives is starting to get tired. A even tempered person can't even enjoy a game like the new God of War without all the extra drama about exclusives around it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, PlayStation is on an excellent run that can't be argued, but this is not the status quo. Sony has not always has this stable of impactful exclusives but people talk like they bought PS4s at LAUNCH for games like Horizon and God of War. People like to forget HALO and Gears used to have the same impact, but times have changed, Microsoft made that mistake letting those franchises get old and crusty. Let some people tell it Xbox never had good exclusive games.

The point i'm going to make is this, some of the features Microsoft are pushing right now have long lasting implications for the industry and their platform. Xbox will have good exclusives again just like PlayStation will have a dry spell again. The hits will come and go, but the BC program is a new era for console library permanence.

PS. God of War took for years to develop but people expect Phil to shit out a new IP with the same must play status in nearly the same amount of time, come on man...

We can apply this same logic to the threads about cross play. It is what it is.

85% to 90% of total xb1 owners are experiencing the inferior version of everything any day of the week with base and slim xb1 .do they care? Did they buy 30 million xb1x cause it was bothering them ?no so your point ?

It's amazing seeing some of those posts, lol.

I'll say it again. Sony is sitting in a great spot right now. From price to specs to games.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I think most people would agree with this (if we are talking about the X).

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the author was talking about the 1X but he's including the OG/S models? Eh, I don't know how offering lower resolutions or performance makes that the best console.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
85% to 90% of total xb1 owners are experiencing the inferior version of everything any day of the week with base and slim xb1 .do they care? Did they buy 30 million xb1x cause it was bothering them ?no so your point ?
And 95% to 99% of total gamers don't play and don't care about new exclusive games.
Does that make them irrelevant? Does that make the point of this article invalid?

If power does not matter, exclusive games don't matter to the same exact extend.

Ole No Bones

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And 95% to 99% of total gamers don't play and don't care about new exclusive games.
Does that make them irrelevant? Does that make the point of this article invalid?

If power does not matter, exclusive games don't matter to the same exact extend.
It all matters. Hardware Games and Features. All of it matters. Not all gamers have the exact same priorities so the importance will vary with individuals.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The most powerful console to play old ass games on. I don't get that logic, but ok. The statement isn't wrong. It's the most powerful console. A bit ironic that Sony exclusive still look better than anything on Xbox One X though. What's the best hardware good for when you don't have the games to support it? Maybe they can catch up at E3 when they show the next wave of Halo, Fable, Gears and Forza.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The most powerful console to play old ass games on. I don't get that logic, but ok. The statement isn't wrong. It's the most powerful console. A bit ironic that Sony exclusive still look better than anything on Xbox One X though. What's the best hardware good for when you don't have the games to support it? Maybe they can catch up at E3 when they show the next wave of Halo, Fable, Gears and Forza.

Thats a bit subjective. What game will sell the most this year? Almost certainly will be RDR2 and it will look best on the X.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is that true? I thought the newest Assassin Creed on XB1X looked better than anything on the PS4. Is that not true?

DontRaff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I wonder what the splits are for OG Xbox One vs Xbox One S vs Xbox 1X. Also it would be interesting to see a survey of why people bought a Xbox 1X vs PS4 and if the #1 reason is exclusives or power.

I think exclusives are the initial spark of why someone chooses one console over another especially when you're in the market for a new console and see games like God of War, Spider-Man, Halo or Sea of Thieves exclusive to one console.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
We can apply this same logic to the threads about cross play. It is what it is.

It's amazing seeing some of those posts, lol.

I'll say it again. Sony is sitting in a great spot right now. From price to specs to games.
Cross play isn't as innovative or useful to users as BC. I'm willing to bet the vast majority if PS4 users don't use it.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I think being able to play new games is more important than being able to play old games.

That said, I love what MS is doing with bc on their hardware. I hope other consoles follow suit.

I just wish we had both on one console. Right now we have to choose between the 'exclusive new games' machine without bc or the 'backwards compatible' machine with no new games to speak of.

Kind of annoying.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'If you don't care about exclusive new games'

What the heck does that even mean? how can you be a gamer and not take note of the quality of exclusives releasing on PS4. Fair enough you prefer Xbox, maybe all you're friends are there or you just prefer the infrastructure of Xbox live but I've never understood the reasoning of ignoring better games.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
'If you don't care about exclusive new games'

What the heck does that even mean? how can you be a gamer and not take note of the quality of exclusives releasing on PS4. Fair enough you prefer Xbox, maybe all you're friends are there or you just prefer the infrastructure of Xbox live but I've never understood the reasoning of ignoring better games.
Well you still have access to the biggest games in gaming at the moment - COD, RDR, PUBG, Fortnite, Battlefield, etc. So I understand what they're saying. COD sells more than any of the exclusives on the PS4

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And thank god thats a matter of taste.
I dont like any of the PS4 games, so nothing better there for me.

Lol.

Given how diverse and eclectic the range of PS4 exclusives is, to not like any, you must not like gaming much, or at the very least, must have incredibly narrow tastes in gaming.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Im inclined to agree with the article. I have all 3 major consoles and the xbox one x is my default for evrything. Pro for the odd sony game, switch for my nintendo games. For everything else, xbox.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It all matters. Hardware Games and Features. All of it matters. Not all gamers have the exact same priorities so the importance will vary with individuals.

Exactly.
Some people care about exclusives, some people care about power, some care about neither and some care about both.
It is always a personal and individual matter.

Where did you get that percentage?

Same as the poster above. An educated guess, that makes sense.
2 to 2.5 billion gamers.
Just below 10% of them play on console anyway.
The most played games on console are still multiplats.
And then you also have a very high overlap on exclusive games buyers.
Who ever buys HZD is extremely likely to buy Uncharted and God of War, too. So it's the same gamer.

Cut Nintendo out of the equation and the number is in the per mill region and not even 1%.
So to clarify i was talking about all gamers, as said, and not only Xbox gamers or the console gamer subsegment.
But even for Xbox or console gamers, that numbers isn't that high either.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Thats a bit subjective. What game will sell the most this year? Almost certainly will be RDR2 and it will look best on the X.

And sell the most on PS4. Especially with the PS4 marketing, you probably won't even see the x1x difference until DF shows you. But the general population will only see the PS4 version. That Plus GOW and Spider-Man.. Hardcore Xbox fans (you know the ones that took this click bait article to heart, right? Them) are the only ones even thinking about an Xbox right now.

The responses in here just don't make sense.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
If you don't care about Nintendo games, if you don't care about PlayStation games, the Xbox one is the best console.

In other news if you don't care about meat..being a vegan is probably your best choice.

Thanks for the advise, Verge! I couldn't figure that out by myself!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Mars is the best planet of the solar system if you don't care about breathing."

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Sure .ps4 and xb1s and original are the main Sellers and pro and x owners are now around 10% of total market share (even less on PS4).most multiplatform games run best on PS4 compared to xb1 base or slim .so PS4 for the majority of gamers is a superior machine to xb1s or xb1 for all games .be it exclusive or multiplats. That's why the point of this article is null unless it only refers to 10% of xb1 owners that are xb1x owner

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Given how diverse and eclectic the range of PS4 exclusives is, to not like any, you must not like gaming much, or at the very least, must have incredibly narrow tastes in gaming.
"Any" may be a stretch, but as someone with a wide range of tastes in gaming, I never felt the need to buy a PS4.

The few games I wanted to play which were unavailable on Xbox (e.g. Tales of games), I could play on PC.

Some people around here should really stop believing that anyone would kill their mom to play Uncharted, God of War and HZD. They're popular games but they don't appeal to everyone.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
What bugs me about the X is that I feel that next gen is around the corner. Seems to be a lot of money for just 1-2 years

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
"Any" may be a stretch, but as someone with a wide range of tastes in gaming, I never felt the need to buy a PS4.

The few games I wanted to play which were unavailable on Xbox (e.g. Tales of games), I could play on PC.

Some people around here should really stop believing that anyone would kill their mom to play Uncharted, God of War and HZD. They're popular games but they don't appeal to everyone.
Are there any games that you do think appeal to everyone?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
What bugs me about the X is that I feel that next gen is around the corner. Seems to be a lot of money for just 1-2 years

Even if next gen would take another 5 years, it's a lot of money for mainly a res bump (aside from BC, but that's the last thing I care about, since all my favorites from last gen have good remasters). For this money I expect all multiplats to run at a locked 60fps or higher.