• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a better feature set, but not everyone cares about those features. Even not caring about exclusives, people who only play current games are better off with a PS4 Slim vs. an X1 slim as most multiplats run better or at higher resolution, games like Destiny get exclusive content for a year and so on.

Gamepass and EA access are the only features there that interest me at all, and I'd probably skip them as I'm always drowning in games and have a backlog that I don't need to compound with game subscriptions. BC is moot as I sell games after beating and don't replay things. I won't have a 4KTV anytime soon and mostly quit buying movies (very rarely rewatch) and rental services don't carry UHD discs.
Sounds like PS4 is best for you

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I lost the worship of the word exclusive that has been so deeply ingrained in gamer consciousness after decades of marketing.
So true.

Also, sorry to be that guy, but when people pretend to value "exclusivity" so much I always wonder why they don't game on PC. It's still by far the platform which have the largest amount of games you can't play anywhere else.

Edit: Obviously PC means "Windows PC".

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
xxx console is the best console if u don't care about the games...

What?

That's not what the article says at all. It's just acknowledging that a lot of people don't care about exclusives. People in the mainstream are more often buying consoles to play CoD, PUBG, Fortnite, Fifa, Madden, Battlefield, Battlefront etc. with their friends these days.

The Xbox One X is the most powerful console (mainstream gamers playing those types of games only aren't PC gamers in very big numbers) and will have the best versions of those. It's a 4K Bluray player for those that care. It has great BC so people can ditch their 360s and play improved versions of their favorite 360 games. It has Gamepassa and EA Access for people on a budget to get more games to play for super cheap. And so on.

It does make a lot of sense, at least for mainstream Western gamers—and especially US gamers where the 360 was so dominant last gen.

If you aren't interested in Sony's narrative driven games or Nintendo's cartoony gameplay focuse stuff the Xbox X makes a lot of sense if you don't mind the $500 price and care about getting the best versions of multiplats and those other features. I don't. But I can see why it's awesome for a lot of the 360 only friends I played with last generation.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like PS4 is best for you

Yep. I jumped ship from 360 to PS4 this gen. Also have a gaming PC (play MS games there since Playanywhere, briefly had an X1 before that) and Switch.

My point was just that people try to overgeneralize things. PS4, X1 and Swtich all have very different strengths in features and game libraries and they aren't all going to appeal to everyone. Us hardcore nerds are unique in having broad tastes and like a wide variety of genres and can find something to like in all three libraries usually. The average joe only plays a couple genres and will be more or less drawn to each of the platforms based on which genres those are.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I mean it wouldn't take much for Microsoft to start beating Sony in the exclusive department. Franchises like Halo are way way more of events and play much larger in public perception than God of War or something like that. Their previous exclusives like Quantum Break are ridiculously underrated, and in my opinion, on par with Uncharted 4 or any of Sony's action titles. Plus, the rumors of Microsoft taking on a publisher like EA would give them tons of IPs more than equivalent to Sony's. If you count BC, Xbox has a load of games that still hold up against Sony's best; in all honesty remaining unsurpassed in their genre like Red Dead Redemption and Ninja Gaiden Black. So I dunno, from my vantage point I have severe regret being a PlayStation 4 Pro owner. If I had the money, I'd switch over quick. Next gen for sure.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Power advantage with x. These advantages Iisted are for all Xbox devices
Of course when you bring price into the equation it isn't quite as cut and dry.

Of course the machine that costs more and released later is more powerful. The reason this thread is seeing so much ridicule and debate is because it makes no sense to pretend any one console is the best because of a single factor (or completely absent factors that are a distinct disadvantage for one of the options).

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So true.

Also, sorry to be that guy, but when people pretend to value "exclusivity" so much I always wonder why they don't game on PC. It's still by far the platform which have the largest amount of games you can't play anywhere else.

The only way exclusivity matters is when it's games you really want to play. Sony and Nintendo exclusives get me to buy their hardware as they're my favorite types of games. Sony is the best and the narrative-driven, cinematic games for third person action/adventure stuff (Uncharted, TLOU, God of War, Infamous, Horizon Zero Dawn etc.) and interactive movie stuff (Heavy Rain, Beyond, Until Dawn). Nintendo is great at charming, gameplay focused games with cartoony art style and a focus on local MP.

PC exclusives largely don't appeal to me. Too much focus on genres I just hate like MOBA, Sims, RTS, CRPGs, FPS PVP. I have a PC, but mostly for MS games, better versions of multiplats and cheap indies.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
The platform without games is the best gaming platform?

I can only speak for myself, but I buy consoles to play games not available on my PC. That's the whole point in having a console. I'll buy consoles with games I can't play on my PC. Sony has an amazing line-up of just that. Microsoft has nothing.

I like new games. If I wanted to play old games I'll either A. Play them at any res on my PC or B. Play them on my original consoles, such as my Xbox 360 (The Microsoft console that actually had games).

But the Xbox does have games.

What about those who don't have a gaming PC? Microsoft has plenty of games.

I like new games too. I just bought Far Cry 5, Dragonball Fighterz and got gifted Monster Hunter World for my Xbox. I also started Sea of Thieves because of my game pass membership. New =/= exclusive.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The only way exclusivity matters is when it's games you really want to play.
I agree.

It was just a cheap shot as people often fail to realize that they don't so much care about "exclusives" than they care about games that just so happen to require a specific platform to be played (which is something platform holders know all too well, hence why they fund/moneyhat exclusives).

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Of course the machine that costs more and released later is more powerful. The reason this thread is seeing so much ridicule and debate is because it makes no sense to pretend any one console is the best because of a single factor (or completely absent factors that are a distinct disadvantage for one of the options).

I always see this part about cost and release date... lol is it really necessary to make excuses for the pro coming short every time power is mentioned. I mean of course, of course, it doesn't reduce the considerable gap between them that it should be expected, lol. It actually is that cut and dry, the X is significantly better hardware than the Pro. its just fact.

SpartacusMD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I buy consoles to play good games. In my opinion, the Xbox is not the place for the newest, funny funnest, largest variety of video games.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I always see this part about cost and release date... lol is it really necessary to make excuses for the pro coming short every time power is mentioned. I mean of course, of course, it doesn't reduce the considerable gap between them that it should be expected, lol. It actually is that cut and dry, the X is significantly better hardware than the Pro. its just fact.
I'm not disputing that. I'm not sure you really read my post if you think that's what I took issue with. I'm disputing that it's the obvious choice for people purchasing a new console.

It's the obvious choice for people who don't care about exclusive games, price, and a myriad of other factors. That's not what this article/several posters are saying, so I made a comment to that effect.

The Xbox 1 X is a damn nice piece of hardware. It should be, given the release date and the price it has. That's not a putdown, that's recognition of why they were able to release such capable hardware.

RZetko

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate but true. I have my PS4 Pro and Switch purely for exclusive titles and PC for cross platform titles. With Win 10 crossbuy and crossplay I have even fewer reasons to purchase Xbox. Let's wait for E3 and see if Microsoft finally shows up with a bunch of system sellers.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
Backwards compatibility on the Xbox is such a great feature because it means you can go back and play older games that might otherwise look too dated for you to play. It's not going to be the reason most gamers buy a console, but for me it's the reason why I will be buying an Xbox One X.

However the headline is bad - this is not a review it is a comment on backwards compatibility. A deliberately contentious headline written for ResetEra's audience - but I'll bite! There's nothing wrong with any reviewer preferring one console to another as long as they review fairly. When any casual has asked me about a console to buy I recommend the one with the games they want to play. When reviewing a console it makes sense to highlight the strengths and then people will lean to one for their own subjective reasons. But this headline is discounting the killer feature of exclusives as a reason for preferring a console So I've taken it and made up two more:

So the original title is: Xbox One is the best console if you don't care about Exclusives

Could also have been: Xbox One is the best console if you don't care about switching your console to portable mode

Or also: Xbox One is the best console if you don't care about competing online against the largest pool of opponents

Let me just underline again, the praise for backwards compatibility is great. But honestly, the article should have been called something like Why Xbox One's backward compatibility is a killer feature that no other console has. So when the most logical title is removed and replaced to something with less relation to the content for the sake of getting a larger reaction then quite honestly The Verge and Sam Byford are all guilty of clickbait. If they fiddle with their titles for hits again can I request that they be banned from ResetEra?!

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

It was just a cheap shot as people often fail to realize that they don't so much care about "exclusives" than they care about games that just so happen to require a specific platform to be played (which is something platform holders know all too well, hence why they fund/moneyhat exclusives).

So... exclusives. :|

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I really wish I had a reason to own an X1X, but I already have a PC so it just doesn't really seem to get me anything I don't already have. I actually bought one during the eBay sales for $370 but just left it in the box and am probably just gonna sell it since I cannot come up with any reason to justify keeping it.

It feels like MSoft has the momentum though and I could see them killing it next gen. I've fallen out of PC gaming lately anyway, so I will probably just stop upgrading and buy the next gen Xbox. But it's a shame that this gen there just doesn't really seem to be much reason to own an Xbox unless it's your only console. I wish I could justify keeping it but I just don't see how it becomes anything other than a dust collector after a month.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

But it goes both ways. The s is cheaper than the ps4

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
The forum should suit name to Xboxera will suit better. It looks like a Xbox marketing forum with 5 New threads per day about Xbox features.

Hahahahaha oh man hahah good one! ...wait are you serious? If you are an adult and you knowingly posted this in earnest then you need to take a step back from your plastic box of choice and get out once in a while.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Let me just underline again, the praise for backwards compatibility is great. But honestly, the article should have been called something like Why Xbox One's backward compatibility is a killer feature that no other console has. So when the most logical title is removed and replaced to something with less relation to the content for the sake of getting a larger reaction then quite honestly The Verge and Sam Byford are all guilty of clickbait. If they fiddle with their titles for hits again can I request that they be banned from ResetEra?!

If we start banning sites on ResetEra for having clickbait headlines then we'd quickly end up with no gaming sites at all to spawn discussions.

We'd probably need to start banning forum posters too, since forum threads are just as guilty.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
But it goes both ways. The s is cheaper than the ps4
Very true! Someone uninterested in Sony games who doesn't care about the differences between the base XB1 and the PS4 would likely choose the cheaper option. As would someone with an extensive Xbox and Xbox 360 collection they want to play again, or someone looking for a HD Blu-ray player. Like I said, multiple factors are typically considered when making these choices.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
To be completely honest, I don't really have time for too many new games.

I love my XB1. I watch TV through it every day. I play some newer indie games on it here and there, and I love going back to some of my older games from time to time without having to turn on another box.

Yeah, PS4 has better exclusives and VR, but I rarely bother turning on my PS4.

Really, I wish I had more free time, though.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
So... exclusives. :|
So Uncharted wouldn't be worth playing if it was released on PC too? I doubt so. Hence why people don't care about "exclusives". They care about games which just so happen to be exclusives. It's not as pedantic as it sounds. People equate good games with exclusives (in this very thread you can read replies equating "no exclusives" to "no games") and obviously console warriors will tend to fuel that confusion (especially those who defend the platform which have what is perceived to be the strongest exclusives lineup at the moment) but in the end people just care about games.

I would also be very interested to have a look at the playtime stats of all those "only exclusives matter" defenders. But that's just mean (I'm a mean person).

Obviously when you wanna buy a console you look at every aspect and it includes exclusives (and in that regard the Xbox brand is in a bad place right now). But in the end it's all about the games, no matter if another kid can play it on another platform or not.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
The article is ok, though that "don't care about exclusive new games" is hyperbole. Theres plenty of exclusive games on Xbox, and many new ones are coming. Not that I give any special value for the matter of being exclusives, but thats a fact.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exclusives aren't even the most important thing. It's too bad Microsoft can't get a decent first party effort going I guess, but if a shitload of awesome 3rd party games just don't appear on your platform, you have problems.

Oct 27, 2017
So Uncharted wouldn't be worth playing if it was released on PC too? I doubt so. Hence why people don't care about "exclusives". They care about games which just so happen to be exclusives. It's not as pedantic as it sounds. .

Yes it is...

Obviously when people talk about exclusives they are talking about games. They are talkin about games that are exclusive to one platform. You're overly complicating this for no reason other than an unnessisary semantics debate.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
i agree

i have a ps4 and two xbones (fat and X) and even the build quality is so far apart they might aswell be on different planets

thedavid

Oct 27, 2017
Midland, MI
I don't agree fully with this article. I have the full load of consoles (PS4/xbox x/Switch) and it goes like so:

If it's multiplat and available on the X, I get it there. BC shines on this machine too. Xbox live > PSN.
If it's PS4 exclusive, I get it there. If it's on a super cheap sale, I may get it on PS4 as well. PSVR stuff too, of course.
If it's switch exclusive or something I'd like to play portable, I get that there.

I have a PC but also have a day job where I'm strapped to a desk, so that sees much less activity.

If you only have one console or gaming outlet, I think you'd be poorly served by going Xbox only. You miss so much on the PS4 side otherwise. If you have the means and are a console gamer mostly, segregating purchases like above is really the 'best' of all worlds.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yes it is...

Obviously when people talk about exclusives they are talking about games. They are talkin about games that are exclusive to one platform. You're overly complicating this for no reason other than an unnessisary semantics debate.
Well, you can read countless posts everywhere explaining why the X1 "isn't worth having" because "it doesn't have exclusives". You're basically telling me that this just means "because it doesn't have the games I wanna play"? Then why aren't people just saying exactly that instead instead of invoking exclusivity?

There's a special affective value to the concept of "exclusives". And my point is that it's doing more harm than good (IMO, obviously).

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I don't get this strategy. Shiny new console without the exclusives to show it off?

Either current Xbox executives are just terrible at what they're doing, or Microsoft is slowly phasing out Xbox hardware and the XBX is a homage to its fans.

I wanna say it's the poor leadership, because I want to see more Xbox consoles in the future.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I much prefer the exclusive ability to play my old console games without having to re-purchase them. I own a PS4 and most Sony exclusives do very little for me. But for some reason I keep buying them.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree.

I get it, but it's really just preaching to the choir. No one other than fanboys and marketing employees talk/care about the numbers of exclusives on a platform. End of the day that's moot if they're not types of games you like and Sony, MS and Nintendo all make pretty different types of games for the most part. If nothing else, people beating their chest about things like numbers of exclusives make it easy to identify the fanboy trash that needs to go on the the ignore list. :D

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I get it, but it's really just preaching to the choir. No one other than fanboys and marketing employees talk/care about the numbers of exclusives on a platform. End of the day that's moot if they're not types of games you like and Sony, MS and Nintendo all make pretty different types of games for the most part. If nothing else, people beating their chest about things like numbers of exclusives make it easy to identify the fanboy trash that needs to go on the the ignore list. :D
Hard to disagree with you there.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I just find this to be such a wacky premise for an article. Discounting a competitors colossal advantage over the other in what is very often the deciding reason why someone would choose one console over the other is strange. Just as the inverse of this headline being something akin to "PS4 best place to play if you don't care about backwards compatibility." Like, no shit. But that "if" in either headline is gargantuan.

Highlighting the fantastic things Xbox does is a good thing to write about, but it muddles the message when you pit it needlessly against the PS4 while discounting what it does best.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So true.

I'd have a hard time coming up with a single game on PC I wish I could play right now, but can't because it's only available on PC.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Highlighting the fantastic things Xbox does is a good thing to write about, but it muddles the message when you pit it needlessly against the PS4 while discounting what it does best.

I didn't take that as the intent.

I took it as more of a "Hey, if you don't like Sony's exclusives you should consider and Xbox One X instead of just buying a PS4 since it's the market leader." A lot of people just go with the top console even if it's exclusives don't appeal to them much, and the top console has rarely been the most powerful etc. across generations. So in some sense people are missing out if they don't like the exclusives. Exception being people who mostly game online—you have to go where your friends are as playing with randoms sucks.

I love my PS4, but for Sony's exclusives. If not for them I'd drop it in a heart beat for a One X for the better performance for multiplats, PUBG against other controller users, Gamepass and EA Access (lesser those as I don't really have time for more games).

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
I just find this to be such a wacky premise for an article. Discounting a competitors colossal advantage over the other in what is very often the deciding reason why someone would choose one console over the other is strange. Just as the inverse of this headline being something akin to "PS4 best place to play if you don't care about backwards compatibility." Like, no shit. But that "if" in either headline is gargantuan.

Good post.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017

No, fuck this. Pick a side and start shitposting.

/s

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
Yet another one, lol.
oh-well-the-truth-hurts-doesnt-it-quote-1.jpg

Exclusives games are the identity of these consoles. Exclude them is stupid.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The BC is excellent. I think it is a great value proposition. I don't think I disagree with what the succinct headline is getting at.

You can get tied up in a load of debate about what is going on with forward facing strategies, etc, but it's a reasonable claim.

When I think of a counter to this, based on what we have now, everything falls on exclusive content. That is quite some "but" though.

I'd love to see how game pass develops. If that stretches to having an on tap selection for BC games too, I think I could see myself binning off PC gaming.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Exclusives games are the identity of these consoles. Exclude them is stupid.
Completely excluding them is about as stupid as saying they're the gist of the consoles' identity, if I may.

Consoles are defined by a host of factors. Services, games, specs, form factor and whatnot.

Isn't the Switch defined with its portability as much than by Mario and Zelda?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
This article is just a counterpoint to reality. PS4 has more exclusives, they're usually extremely polished and the PS4 has outsold the XB1 by a ridiculous degree. It is the default "best console" in the grand discussion. This article is just pointing out that on some merits the XB1 could be considered just as/more desirable. Basically "PS4 is the shit but hear us out...". I don't understand the ultra defense here. It's not enough for PS4 to be the undisputed winner of the gen for some folks. They need to stomp on the other box to hold theirs up even higher.