• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I see no problem here. The X is currently the most powerful console, has BC, has 4K BD playback and runs multiplats better than the Pro. If you don't care for Sony and Nintendo's first party games, it is indeed the best platform.

Personally I own consoles from Sega, Nintendo and mainly Sony. But I've never owned a Microsoft console, despite the OG Xbox, the 360 and the X being best of the bunch. Even though they ran multiplats better than the PS2, PS3 and Pro, Sony's platforms have always been more aligned with my taste in games. Doesn't take away from how good their console HW have been though.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
Nah, I'm doing just fine without sony exclusives, I was more commenting on you being approximately the 1000th poster to shitpost based on the title and translate "exclusive games" to "games".

w3hUyFC.gif

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
That's assuming people are willing to drop $500 on the 1X, majority won't and between the base models the PS4 is the best.

Bingo. There is no need for a survey. Sales data tells us this.

Lol this thread is a great example of the difference between message boarders and the general public.

Also lol at 4k Blu-ray being pushed as a big selling point again.

Yea, this thread is interesting, lol.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It depends on on the ISP, wifi or wired, how it's configured etc, just blanketing PSN as "abysmal" is a lazy argument.

To some extent, but it's really just regional. My PS4 is hardwired to the same router as my PC and the download speeds are abysmal on PSN compared to Steam, GOG etc. even after the pause and resume to speed it up nonsense. Hell, my Switch on wifi (off the same router and in the same room) gets faster speeds.

So it may not be PSN as a whole everywhere, but it certainly is for me and many others who get much faster speeds with the same exact internet and router hardwired.

End of the day it just loses Sony money as I end up buying their exclusives physically and selling them off when I'm done (and taking a way a potential sale for them).

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exclusives games are the identity of these consoles. Exclude them is stupid.

To us hardcore gamers they are.

To mainstream gamers? Much less so. Many of them barely play exclusives and just play the GTA, AssCreed, CoD, BF, Fifa, Madden, Fortnite etc. type games that all their friends are on.

Nintendo is the only one where you see the first party stuff topping the sales and active player charts with regularity. They get shit third party support so most people are buying their hardware solely for their games (and portability for past handhelds and the Switch).

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Xbox is a great platform, XBL is an excelent service and the platform has plenty of features like UWA, EA Access, BC, crossplay and more. The X has even more features to make me wish i had one but I preffer to wait for the next xbox.
Playstation is always worthwile for its exclusives, just like the PS3, PS4 is a exclusives' machine for me. Thankfully Sony doesn't make online games so I don't need to pay for their services.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
To mainstream gamers? Much less so. Many of them barely play exclusives and just play the GTA, AssCreed, CoD, BF, Fifa, Madden, Fortnite etc. type games that all their friends are on.
This is true, but that just means that mainstream gamers typically migrate to the console with the larger user base/better WOM/cheaper price. These are not the people buying enthusiast products like the XB1X or PS4pro.

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Console Warring
"Mars is the best planet of the solar system if you don't care about breathing."

LOL! Sony exclusives (I mean 'games') are being so overhyped in this thread. Honestly don't know anyone with a PS4 that is as obsessed with their precious exclusives as any rando is pretending to be in this thread - to the point where it's literally unbelievable blasphemy that anyone would not care.

Then the the fact that games generally look and perform better on XB1X is met with 'meh, I don't notice a difference' or 'well, that's only 90% of the games', 'Cool, you have a shiny piece of hardware with no exclusives - what's the point?'.

It's like questioning why somebody would buy a 4K TV if they're not going to watch big-budget mainstream action movies. 'Most stuff may look better, sure - but if you're not gonna watch Fast Five, what's the point?' Gimme a break.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is true, but that just means that mainstream gamers typically migrate to the console with the larger user base. These are not the people buying enthusiast products like the XB1X or PS4pro.

Agreed.

Though that can still be a poor decision. An Xbox slim might do them better/save them money with things like Gamepass and EA Access. They probably don't give a shit about the power gap between the base models. They just buy whatever is most popular without doing much research into what fits them best.

Typical consumerism basically—like how many people have top of the line smartphones and do nothing but simple communications and browsing that doesn't need the power or other features.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I mean it wouldn't take much for Microsoft to start beating Sony in the exclusive department. Franchises like Halo are way way more of events and play much larger in public perception than God of War or something like that. Their previous exclusives like Quantum Break are ridiculously underrated, and in my opinion, on par with Uncharted 4 or any of Sony's action titles. Plus, the rumors of Microsoft taking on a publisher like EA would give them tons of IPs more than equivalent to Sony's. If you count BC, Xbox has a load of games that still hold up against Sony's best; in all honesty remaining unsurpassed in their genre like Red Dead Redemption and Ninja Gaiden Black. So I dunno, from my vantage point I have severe regret being a PlayStation 4 Pro owner. If I had the money, I'd switch over quick. Next gen for sure.
RDR BC on Xbox holds up against Horizon, Uncharted 4, Death Stranding, Days Gone, God of War, Spiderman, The Last of Us Part 2?

Wtf did I just read.

Also do you have legitimate (non vg chartz) sales data to back up your claims of Halo and Gears being bigger than any of Sony's action titles?

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LOL! Sony exclusives (I mean 'games') are being so overhyped in this thread. Honestly don't know anyone with a PS4 that is as obsessed with their precious exclusives as any rando is pretending to be in this thread - to the point where it's literally unbelievable blasphemy that anyone would not care.

Yeah, that's just fanboy hyperbole. And that's coming from someone who loves Sony first party games more than anything else the past two generations. I also acknowledge that as my own taste. I love cinematic, narrative-driven games with great graphics and exciting set pieces that ask relatively little of the player (on normal or easy). Sony's studies due that better than anyone IMO. While Nintendo is very focused on cartoony, gamplay focused stuff (and I love some of it) and MS more on skill based multiplayer experiences with short SP campaigns. Point being, there's nothing wrong with someone liking one platform's exclusives and not caring about the others' as they are quite different for the most part.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Weird, sometime after the new Xbox dashboard was released there was an update that made it pretty much max out my network for downloads. PS4 is still slow as all hell.

Don't get me wrong, the PS4 is still pretty slow and doesn't come close to maxing my connection out but it is faster for me.

It is a bit weird, though, it used to be the opposite a few years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. We see a ton of threads about slow PSN downloads. There was just one today

It just seems to be regional. Some regions PSN or Xbox live servers are probably lagging behind in upgrades/expanding bandwith relative to the amount of traffic they get, others they have plenty of bandwith and get good speeds.

Don't get me wrong, the PS4 is still pretty slow and doesn't come close to maxing my connection out but it is faster for me.

It is a bit weird, though, it used to be the opposite a few years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Case in point. Your regional PSN servers probably got upgraded, and your Live servers didn't (or not enough for the traffic level).

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Interesting. We see a ton of threads about slow PSN downloads. There was just one today
Yeah, PSN downloads really suck on wireless connections for me. Like, miserably slow. (Sub-3MBps)

Wired I can usually get 20+MBps though, sometimes closer to 50 MBps. Seems like the issue is a terrible wireless card in my house, anyway.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
To some extent, but it's really just regional. My PS4 is hardwired to the same router as my PC and the download speeds are abysmal on PSN compared to Steam, GOG etc. even after the pause and resume to speed it up nonsense. Hell, my Switch on wifi (off the same router and in the same room) gets faster speeds.

So it may not be PSN as a whole everywhere, but it certainly is for me and many others who get much faster speeds with the same exact internet and router hardwired.

End of the day it just loses Sony money as I end up buying their exclusives physically and selling them off when I'm done (and taking a way a potential sale for them).
But they ended up making the sale anyway from you lol. All of your arguments in here have been typical fanboy trash.

In the extra time it takes for the "slow" PSN to download your game, the Xbox still hasn't installed Gears of War lmao.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But they ended up making the sale anyway from you lol. All of your arguments in here have been typical fanboy trash.

In the extra time it takes for the "slow" PSN to download your game, the Xbox still hasn't installed Gears of War lmao.

Lol. Hardly. I have no loyalty to any of these companies and don't even own an Xbox One and just get those games on PC with Play Anywhere.

And sure, they're happy to have that sale from me. They'd be even happier if I'd bought digitally (as they get all that money with no cut to a retailer for a first party game) and not taken a potential sale away by selling at a discount to someone when I'm done.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, no shit?

For $500, the X fucking better be the best place to play multiplats...
That is not at all how any of this works. You can provide the best hardware available but it's up to the developers on whether or not they want to optimize the software to utilize it's capability. The PS3 is a prime example. Technically it was the superior hardware with a more expensive price tag. Unfortunately developers focused more of their assets on development for the 360 especially during those early years. So while it's nice to assume that a higher price tag should automatically imply better performing multi-platform titles, it's really not up to the hardware manufacturers. They set price based on hardware costs, not multi-platform performance forecasts.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree really. I find what MS is doing with their console and services to be much more interesting than what Sony is up to. Yet the lack of solid exclusives can't be understated. They NEED to have that sorted out by the time the next console launches.
Agreed and I think they will. These things some times work in cycles.

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's just fanboy hyperbole. And that's coming from someone who loves Sony first party games more than anything else the past two generations. I also acknowledge that as my own taste. I love cinematic, narrative-driven games with great graphics and exciting set pieces that ask relatively little of the player (on normal or easy). Sony's studies due that better than anyone IMO. While Nintendo is very focused on cartoony, gamplay focused stuff (and I love some of it) and MS more on skill based multiplayer experiences with short SP campaigns. Point being, there's nothing wrong with someone liking one platform's exclusives and not caring about the others' as they are quite different for the most part.

You articulated the strengths of each platform better than I've seen anywhere in this thread. Totally agree.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Lol. Hardly. I have no loyalty to any of these companies and don't even own an Xbox One and just get those games on PC with Play Anywhere.

And sure, they're happy to have that sale from me. They'd be even happier if I'd bought digitally (as they get all that money with no cut to a retailer for a first party game) and not taken a potential sale away by selling at a discount to someone when I'm done.
So why did you comment in a different thread that you PREFER to sell games when you're done so you've not lost out on a lot of money. So you buy physical so you can trade them anyway.

You then come in here and try to spin that as

"Sony's PSN is shite and as a punishment I'm going to trade my game so the next person buys it second hand to take a sale away from Sony".

You also said the X was a mistake and MS should have made 3 more new IP's.

Then come in here and spin it as excusive games don't matter even though you said MS needs more exclusive games.

Your posts are disingenuous and you're going on the ignore list.

Edit: Oh and the line about Sony's games being simple and don't ask much of the player is the most stealth fanboy post on the planet.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh in my opinion there isn't a "best" console. Both have positives that make them a great console.

Sony has some amazing exclusives that sell very well. They have a lot more exclusives than the Xbox. That's obvious. Personally, I find it hard to get into Sony first party games though. It's not because they are bad, it's because of me. On the other hand, Sunset Overdrive is one of my favorite games this gen.

Personally, I prefer the Xbox and have a blast with the exclusive games that are on the Xbox but that doesn't mean I'm ok with the amount of exclusives. I find it ridiculous that there are games on the ps4 and pc that also aren't on the Xbox e.g. Nier Automata and Ni No Kuni 2.

Also, the X is a beast and games look amazing. Once again, that doesn't excuse the lack of exclusives but it's certainly a selling point for me.

All of that to say, I think both consoles are great and both have their advantages as well as disadvantages. Even though I prefer the One X, I can't honestly say one console is better than the other though.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France

Nintendo is the only one where you see the first party stuff topping the sales and active player charts with regularity. They get shit third party support so most people are buying their hardware solely for their games (and portability for past handhelds and the Switch).

Good point. But they recognize the BIG exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Halo and co.
So you can't ignore that so easily.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
So why did you comment in a different thread that you PREFER to sell games when you're done so you've not lost out on a lot of money. So you buy physical so you can trade them anyway.

Not jumping on the fanboy train here, but... PSN quality still matters for physical games. Games have huge patches these days, yo.

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
PS Now is terrible, while Microsoft's BC solution is best in class. Microsoft have a better controller. They have a more powerful console. They have a much better and more reliable online infrastructure.

Microsoft could never recover from the kinect/used games fiasco so this generation was always destined to be a wash. But they've got three problems that need fixing for next gen
  1. Their first party efforts haven't paid off
  2. They forgot about the casual market that made the kinect such a success
  3. They abandoned japan and japanese developers
If they can fix these problems, next gen should be a lot more competitive. Especially with the Switch and its revisions in the mix. One thing is for certain, Sony wont be able to cruse to victory on the likes of Knack and Driveclub anymore

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good point. But they recognize the BIG exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Halo and co.
So you can't ignore that so easily.

100% agree. I just don't think MS is that bad on that front. They have huge franchises like Halo, Gears and Forza that have similar name recognition to the big multiplats.

Where they lag behind Sony is in the lesser known exclusives. Things like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown don't have the same power as things like Infamous, Ratchet and Clank etc. And they have few if any really niche ones like Gravity Rush.

But most of those things don't really appeal to that CoD/Madden/Fifa/GTA type gamer anyway, at least in the US market, so I think the article is right in some sense. Someone who loves the hell out of CoD and Battlefield will probably be happier with an X1 and games like Halo and Gears as exclusives than the would with Sony's line up of extensive exclusives as many may just be types of games that don't interest them. That's a big part of why the 360 was so dominate here last gen and the X1 is much stronger here than in other regions. A lot of people just go PS4 as it's the top seller regardless of whether their exclusives do anything for them--me I went that way largely as I'd moved more toward PS3 late last gen with games like TLOU shifting my tastes more toward narrative-driven stuff.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
The funny thing about this thread is people aren't even reading the article before posting.

They're saying the Xbox is actually better, because you can play the old game titles. I actually love that about Xbox, and definitely think it's a feature that makes them better.

But I don't agree with old games being more important than new games. Anyone arguing this point is just console warring.

New exclusive games are somthing every gamer cares about. Regardless of cinematic or not. And MS is in a terrible position right now in that aspect.

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and the line about Sony's games being simple and don't ask much of the player is the most stealth fanboy post on the planet.

I don't know - sounds pretty damn accurate to me. Their strength is really in cinematic / story-driven games (like The Last of Us). Nothing wrong with that, just not for everyone.

This is like saying 'CALLING BULLSHIT ON NINTENDO BEING CARTOONY'. Nobody is insulting your precious exclusives - settle down.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I find that's the case for me. Xbox One X is just a beast. I prefer XBL and having a beast of a machine. I'll gladly pay premium and I hope Microsoft learned their lesson. Don't focus too much on integrated fantasy football and tv and give us the hardware to play games on the best settings.

That was always the appeal of the OG Xbox for me. DOA3 memories.....

I mean it would be nice to have exclusives that are worth it and I'm still kinda shocked they can't get their IP's cleaned up, dressed and on a bus but whatever. Hope it happens eventually.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You then come in here and try to spin that as

"Sony's PSN is shite and as a punishment I'm going to trade my game so the next person buys it second hand to take a sale away from Sony".

I tend to buy longer games (which God of War by all accounts is with the end game stuff) digitally. I also sell them myself rather than trading in. Trading is for suckers. :D

You also said the X was a mistake and MS should have made 3 more new IP's.

That was me saying that if they really wanted to catch up to Sony they should have just rode out the OG X1 and had the true successor ready to go in 2019 to beat out the PS5 by a year (most likely) just like they did with the 360 vs. the PS3. A mid gen refresh will do little to close the gap on Sony. Getting a year or so jump on PS5, with compelling software day one, could do a lot to help.

Then come in here and spin it as exclusive games don't matter even though you said MS needs more exclusive games.

I never said that. I said exclusives don't matter for the average joe CoD/Fifa/GTA/etc. gamer. I was agreeing with the premise of the article that the X1 is great for people who don't care about exclusives by acknowledging that there is a subset of the market who doesn't care about exclusives very much if at all. I care greatly about them personally or I'd just stick with PC. I personally see no point in owning an X1 as their exclusives do little for me and I can play the few that do on PC.

Edit: Oh and the line about Sony's games being simple and don't ask much of the player is the most stealth fanboy post on the planet.

1. Sony first party games are my favorite games by FAR. Horizon Zero Dawn is my game of the generation so far, followed by the two Uncharteds. TLOU was my GOTG last gen.

2. I said they don't ask much of the player when played on "normal/easy."

3. I LOVE EASY GAMES. I play games mostly for escapism and getting lost in an interactive story. Sony games are great for that--some on normal, some on easy. Most MS and Nintendo games are too gameplay focused for me, have stories that pale in comparison to the stuff Sony's devs put out and so on. So that's not a knock on Sony's games, but a praising of them as they fit my tastes better than anything else.

Your posts are disingenuous and you're going on the ignore list.

And you on mine. Cheers!

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
Well technically he's right...but exclusives and multiplayer population is way more important to me...i have a gaming PC so "graphics" is not an issue for me either....I like my SWITCH but i also haven't played it at all much since Oddysey....too old to have couch parties for these multiplayer games but i get them anyways if an opportunity ever rises.

PS4 games are the best exclusives to me hands down...Bloodborne, Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon, Until Dawn..and now God of War...and looking like Spiderman and Days Gone looking to follow the trend with these IPS being in the 80-90 meta-critic.....RE7VR was a new experience and goty for me, and Nioh even though just being a temporary exclusive was great game too....it's hold tremendous value for me...even with PS+ i would of never got to enjoy and experience Ratchet and Clank and The Order...because of PS+ and the Order was pretty good....probably because it was free and not full price.

Sea of Thieves is a real disappointment, and i'm still trying to finish Gears of War 4 at the moment with my gamepass... will likely cancel it after State of Decay 2...unless it's too good...i'll probably resub for new Halo or Gears.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sea of Thieves is a real disappointment, and i'm still trying to finish Gears of War 4 at the moment with my gamepass... will likely cancel it after State of Decay 2...unless it's too good...i'll probably resub for new Halo or Gears.

I am very curious how Gamepass will affect sales.

The Play Anywhere titles on Gamepass also work on PC, so if they put things like Gears 5 or Halo 6 on Play Anywhere and Gamepass (like they did Sea of Thieves and are doing for Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2) I'd just buy a month of Gamepass and play the campaigns and some of the MP stuff and then cancel. Whereas those are both games I'd buy in the Windows store for $60 otherwise (like I did Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3).

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Then the the fact that games generally look and perform better on XB1X is met with 'meh, I don't notice a difference' or 'well, that's only 90% of the games', 'Cool, you have a shiny piece of hardware with no exclusives - what's the point?'.

It's like questioning why somebody would buy a 4K TV if they're not going to watch big-budget mainstream action movies. 'Most stuff may look better, sure - but if you're not gonna watch Fast Five, what's the point?' Gimme a break.
I think the people can survive to the idea that you find the xbone x the best platform in the market. Another thing it's try to pass idea is the best console just because suddenly backwards games and bluray player are became the only important features which is really arguable like this piece of 'journalism'.

Last edited:

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017

You know, I use to agree with that but honestly, that's not true at all. Most of my friends are "casual" gamers, ie, people who aren't like us who go on forums and talk about games, etc. Just recently I was talking to one, who usually plays NBA 2K, CoD, etc, very mainstream games, and he asked me if I knew when The Last of Us Part II was coming out, or even about Days Gone, and I asked him if he knew about God of War and he said yeah, it's coming out this month. He knew. Even my other friend who is a casual, games on Xbox, said he was excited about God of War and really wanted a PS4 for it. I can name tons of other examples with games like Horizon and Uncharted. Casual gamers know about exclusives, because a lot of the time, exclusives are some of the best games, on any platform, even on for Xbox, people know of Forza, Halo, Gears.

Even a better example, when I was a "casual", the way I found my games was really just searching on the internet, "Best PS3 games", and there were a bunch of PS3 exclusives like Uncharted, LBP, God of War, etc. Us "hardcore" gamers talk and share on social media about these exclusives and people find about them. I'm sure they even go to gaming sites like IGN occasionally. I'm sure a bunch of "casual" people follow PlayStation, Xbox, etc on Twitter and they are constantly talking about their exclusives. They know them.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Casual gamers know about big exclusives because big exclusives are essentially a marketing exercise.

And that's honestly why they turn out pretty good a lot of the time. They don't have quite the same financial pressures as a third-party game.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know, I use to agree with that but honestly, that's not true at all. Most of my friends are "casual" gamers, ie, people who aren't like us who go on forums and talk about games, etc. Just recently I was talking to one, who usually plays NBA 2K, CoD, etc, very mainstream games, and he asked me if I knew when The Last of Us Part II was coming out, or even about Days Gone, and I asked him if he knew about God of War and he said yeah, it's coming out this month. He knew. Even my other friend who is a casual, games on Xbox, said he was excited about God of War and really wanted a PS4 for it. I can name tons of other examples with games like Horizon and Uncharted. Casual gamers know about exclusives, because a lot of the time, exclusives are some of the best games, on any platform, even on for Xbox, people know of Forza, Halo, Gears.

Even a better example, when I was a "casual", the way I found my games was really just searching on the internet, "Best PS3 games", and there were a bunch of PS3 exclusives like Uncharted, LBP, God of War, etc. Us "hardcore" gamers talk and share on social media about these exclusives and people find about them. I'm sure they even go to gaming sites like IGN occasionally. I'm sure a bunch of "casual" people follow PlayStation, Xbox, etc on Twitter and they are constantly talking about their exclusives. They know them.

Oh I do think the biggest ones still matter to more casual gamers in some sense. God of War for instance has been advertised a TON on ESPN, during Walking Dead etc. so people are aware of it.

I just don't think many mainstream gamers of that type decide what console to buy based on those games. They buy whatever their earlier adopting friends are playing CoD/GTA etc. on and will then buy some games like God of War, Halo, Uncharted etc. too.

Where as exclusives matter a lot for us more serious gamers as most of us want to own more than one console/platform, but the additional ones have to justify themselves through their exclusive games and features. Especially for those with PCs who already have access to the best versions of multiplats.

Nintendo is of course excluded here as there's been little reason to buy their hardware except for exclusives for a long time.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Also do you have legitimate (non vg chartz) sales data to back up your claims of Halo and Gears being bigger than any of Sony's action titles?

what about these

more than 60 million copies of Halo games have been sold worldwide, driving over 6 billion hours of gameplay by fans connected to Xbox Live.(2014)

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2014/10/17/games-halo-master-chief-collection-pre-download/

Gears franchise 27 million copies sold (Only 1,2,3 and judgement)

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gears-franchise-27-million-copies-sold-33363530/

Last edited: