• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
PDqwIRD.jpg

Verizon is currently conducting alpha testing of Verizon Gaming, a game streaming service that would represent a major new initiative for the home and mobile internet giant. The Verge can report that Verizon Gaming is already up and running on the Nvidia Shield set-top box and will, according to the company's documentation, eventually make its way to Android smartphones.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/...e-streaming-service-vzg-nvidia-shield-android

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ewww, Verizon is the comcast of cellphone companies, no way they get this right

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting but I don't see them making a dent in this space.

*cut to 2038 where Verizon is the only remaining entity in the entire video gaming space*

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
All this services, but no mention or original games and exclusives to y'know, set themselves apart.

Surely they know that much.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I will accept a bad future where I am forced to grossly overpay for a shallow selection of games that stream too slowly, with dodgy IQ and input lag, while the server secretly records my microphone and sells my data to advertisers, from literally any company but fucking Verizon.*
*Or Comcast.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
this is hilarious how many companies want to jump in on this shit. better now than after someone is a monolith and your trying to play catch up i guess. what's verizon's plan tho? buy a bit of third party exclusives and hope that's enough? buy some studios? should be interesting.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I see PS4 games in those screenshots. Ones which are not on PSNow.

RDR2 and GoW for example.
Read the article.

Screenshots of Verizon Gaming show titles including Fortnite, Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Battlefield V, and Destiny 2. That would be an unbelievable collection of games if accurate — God of War is a PlayStation 4 exclusive and Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't yet have a PC port — but it's likely that some or all of those shown are placeholders.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Verizon working with third party companies like Nvidia or game publishers to create a service sure. They would have better control over network QoS to possibly offer better performance than a plain old internet connection. I don't think this will work out for them if they're going ahead alone without a big publisher though. Or they're possibly conducting trials offering QoS to other streaming platform services.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
The upside of all these services is that it becomes a developers market as they try to lock down exclusives. Indies will be swimming in it. Downside is we need to subscribe to all these services to play everything.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all of these cloud gaming/game streaming services. It's going to kill ownership even worse than 100% digital distribution would.

If you value gaming as an art form you will not support these services.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Time for yet another game steam service that will just exist in the shadow of the console's streaming programs

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Everybody and their grandma will have a game streaming service by 2020. This is why VR will be so important for consoles as a differentiator factor.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but they're not exclusive to just Xbox either. Thats what I was responding to.
Then you're looking at things the wrong way.

Since all these services are hitting the cloud, the only ones with titles that have exclusivity are Sony and Microsoft.

Google, Amazon, and Verizon don't seem to be building any as of yet.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All this services, but no mention or original games and exclusives to y'know, set themselves apart.

Surely they know that much.
In theory any software running on Windows can be [legally] streamed. The legality is determined either on the customer side or on the provider side, by who owns what kind of license on the host system. It's more complicated (and almost unrealistic practically and economically for a third-party) with software tied to hardware like on Nintendo or Sony consoles.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Since all these services are hitting the cloud, the only ones with titles that have exclusivity are Sony and Microsoft.

Amazon has three game studios as of now. That could change tho.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Fuck all of these cloud gaming/game streaming services. It's going to kill ownership even worse than 100% digital distribution would.

Digital distribution of games hasn't been a thing for years now. Gaming did not die. Even with physical games, DLC and expansions are digital and not on disc.

While it's a pleasant surprise to see you complain about something other than microtransactions, Not sure what you're on about with this.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Well, good thing we have net neutrality regulations to prevent Verizon from traffic-shaping game-streaming services that compete with them. Actually no, we don't anymore, never mind. I guess we need to rely on Verizon to make the ethically correct choice then.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
With net neutrality no longer around, I can honestly maybe see this as a higher QoS connection plan they offer to customers for better performance for game streaming regardless of what platform you use as well.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

You're not making sense to me. You said verizon needed exclusives, xbox proves they dont need them. Xbox games are already on PC, the more popular platform than xbox and ps4 combined.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The mere idea of a company like Verizon trying to do a game streaming service, something dependent on a steady and consistent connection, just reminds me of this classic.

9ab.jpg

Yeah, this'll go well. I 'spose download speeds are one thing and upload speeds are another, but Verizon's been flaky about both, and I somehow doubt streaming multiplayer's going to go well with that kind of throttling.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
You're not making sense to me. You said version needed exclusives, xbox proves they dont need them. Their games are already on PC, the more popular platform than xbox and ps4 combined.
Their published titles still have exclusivity though. You're utilizing their services when playing their titles.

When comparing these different companies, it's about services, not hardware.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm optimistic about how all this is going to turn out. I think the benefits of local computed gaining are real. Local compute won't be pushed out by streaming.

I do expect aaa games to double down on the dumb down as they adapt to the shifting audience. That'll be funny to watch.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway

I agree.
Sadly most people just don't give a shit as long as they get to play the latest games for cheap :(

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
You're not making sense to me. You said verizon needed exclusives, xbox proves they dont need them. Xbox games are already on PC, the more popular platform than xbox and ps4 combined.

Microsoft's games will be exclusive to their platform. We'll have to see how much exclusive content Amazon and in this case Verizon can gather.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At least they have an actual network to deliver it over... all these other players are just gonna be paying comcast and Verizon etc to 'please remove data caps'

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
What a coincidence, after they successfully repealed Net Neutrality with the help of their buddy Ajit Pai, now they are starting to offer their "premium services"... basically what everyone predicted.

Also interestingly enough they are using Nvidia Shield as their first platform, which i thought it was going to be discontinued as maybe part of the deal Nvidia has with Nintendo.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Well if an ISP gets involved that means they will be incentived to make sure they have the infrastructure to support it. Now I highly doubt it will work that way but I am trying to be optimistic.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
In my opinion a gaming streaming service should be global. Wondering when the 'streaming wars' will start. Maybe we'll see the first big publisher being bought by a cloud provider this year. Who knows.

Sony has a headstart, but they'll have fierce competition from the likes of Amazon and Microsoft.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Their published titles still have exclusivity though. You're utilizing their services when playing their titles.

When comparing these different companies, it's about services, not hardware.

I see what you're saying. I was just looking at things from a PC perspective. When I asked what's on Xbox that's actually exclusive compared to what Verizon/Amazon could originally create in house. But even on PC, you're really still using MS's services really. This will be interesting.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion a gaming streaming service should be global. Wondering when the 'streaming wars' will start. Maybe we'll see the first big publisher being bought by a cloud provider this year. Who knows.

Sony has a headstart, but they'll have fierce competition from the likes of Amazon and Microsoft.

That's the scary part.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that's really going to limit them is that their consumer business is nearly totally focused on the US.

That's going to mean that the userbase will be limited to a section of US gamers. Sony and Microsoft are aiming at a much more global audience. With a smaller audience, any exclusive that Verizon want to buy will cost them more per user. Developers of games which are primarily popular outside of the US will also be heavily reluctant to sign any kind of exclusivity deal.

It'll also make word of mouth more difficult to spread - for any gaming community with a userbase that isn't heavily concentrated in the US, any news about this service will be a total irrelevance for the non-US users, even if they would otherwise be interested in streaming games services.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think this means Verizon will be making their own games. It has to be a collaboration with existing gaming publishers.

On streaming VR - how does it work over wifi with the server/computer in the same room? Any known testing from the likes of Valve or Occulus?