• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, but you know someone will come up with a way and stream to a wireless VR headset eventually though.

Sure, but I don't expect VR Cloud game streaming for now. What Sony and Microsoft cannot do is pretend that they won't loose marketshare once all of these streaming services go live with games like Assassins Creed, Destiny, Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, etc. Basically most 3rd party games will eventually show up cloud gaming services, so this is the time to fully commit to VR.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Sure, but I don't expect VR Cloud game streaming for now. What Sony and Microsoft cannot do is pretend that they won't loose marketshare once all of these streaming services go live with games like Assassins Creed, Destiny, Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, etc. Basically most 3rd party games will eventually show up cloud gaming services, so this is the time to fully commit to VR.

Everyone will try to be the Netflix of gaming. It'll be a bloodbath.

Some hbo's, hulu's and prime's will remain tho.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

I hope you're right, VR is the only thing that has kept me excited about gaming. I'd love for them to focus on it.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I really don't think this means Verizon will be making their own games. It has to be a collaboration with existing gaming publishers.

On streaming VR - how does it work over wifi with the server/computer in the same room? Any known testing from the likes of Valve or Occulus?

VR over regular 5Ghz wifi doesn't work as it should, too much latency. There are wireless adapters for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive that support the Wigig standard and that is practically unnotisable. The problem is streaming over the network.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You're not making sense to me. You said verizon needed exclusives, xbox proves they dont need them. Xbox games are already on PC, the more popular platform than xbox and ps4 combined.
Pretty sure the Windows Store is not a more popular platform than Xbox and PS4 combined.

Regardless the point is that those games aren't available on other consoles. Microsoft doesn't view PC as competition.

They will put their games where best serves their interests. Obviously you're not going to be able to play Halo Infinite on Verizon, PS Now, Google Stream, Amazon Gaming etc.

As for Xbox proving exclusives don't matter, surely its lacklustre performance this gen has proved the complete opposite.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
And since net neutrality is dead, they will likely prioritize all game streaming for their own service, while throttling and/or applying caps to any other service used on their network.
All this services, but no mention or original games and exclusives to y'know, set themselves apart.

Surely they know that much.

This is where things get scary.

Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Verizon...all massive companies with deep pockets. Just wait until all these services are up and running. They will start spending cash like crazy to secure exclusive content deals and such.

Nagito

Oct 25, 2017
The windy city
Then you're looking at things the wrong way.

Since all these services are hitting the cloud, the only ones with titles that have exclusivity are Sony and Microsoft.

Google, Amazon, and Verizon don't seem to be building any as of yet.
What's stopping this other streaming services from signing deals with 3rd party's for exclusive streaming rights? Because I can see that happening.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for ISPs to ruin this and turn just magnify the problem of show/movie streaming services.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
And since net neutrality is dead, they will likely prioritize all game streaming for their own service, while throttling and/or applying caps to any other service used on their network.

This is where things get scary.
I don't see this happening. This would not benefit them. Instead I see them offering a higher priority service seperate to normal connections for games streaming, for their own service or third party ones.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What's stopping this other streaming services from signing deals with 3rd party's for exclusive streaming rights? Because I can see that happening.

Nothing. But what's stopping MS or Sony from signing exclusivity deals with third party publishers right now? Same situation.

Only scary thing will be:
1. The transition period where all services are trying to grow. They'll be more aggressive with these kind of deals
2. Amazon, Google, Verizon, etc. don't have a lot of 'Original' content. They'll have to strike more deals or purchase development studios.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. But what's stopping MS or Sony from signing exclusivity deals with third party publishers right now? Same situation.

1. The transition period where all services are trying to grow. They'll be more aggressive with these kind of deals
2. Amazon, Google, Verizon, etc. don't have a lot of 'Original' content. They'll have to strike more deals or purchase development studios.
This is a nightmare scenario.

D:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

This is a future I don't want. The last fucking thing we need in the gaming industry is encroachment by Amazon, Google, and Verizon.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is a future I don't want. The last fucking thing we need in the gaming industry is encroachment by Amazon, Google, and Verizon.

I think the more classic game companies, so to say, will keep offering digital downloads and physical copies for a long long time. And with the amount of studios Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have there will be plenty to play there. And not expecting EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. to switch to 100% streaming next generation.

But yes, Amazon's and Googles plans for gaming are exciting and scary at the same time.

There are so many things that can happen.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The mere idea of a company like Verizon trying to do a game streaming service, something dependent on a steady and consistent connection, just reminds me of this classic.

9ab.jpg

Yeah, this'll go well. I 'spose download speeds are one thing and upload speeds are another, but Verizon's been flaky about both, and I somehow doubt streaming multiplayer's going to go well with that kind of throttling.
Their FiOS service actually matches up and down speeds. I had 100 Mbps up and down from them.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It's maybe happening already. There's plenty of games that are on GamePass but not PlayStation Now, and even more on PS Now that aren't on GamePass (though in that case that appears to be partly down to Microsoft leaning towards curation). It's entirely possible that some of the publishers/developers of those games have signed streaming exclusivity deals.

Imagining going from 4 platforms with exclusives to 10+ is giving me a headache.
Even better, they'll all have different selections of multiplatform games, different cross-play set-ups, availability in different countries, different availability across platforms (PC/Android/iOS/proprietary streaming box/OEM streaming box/etc.), different controller compatibility, and many will offer multiple subscription tiers.

That's before we consider that we have been quite fortunate that there hasn't been any collapse of a major online gaming service (OnLive absolutely doesn't count). Services like Steam, PSN and Xbox Live are over a decade old and still preserve purchase information, friends lists, cloud saves, etc. Nintendo have rebuilt their online services a few times, sometimes quite awkwardly, and shuttered a few previously-popular storefronts, but everyone still has theoretical access to what they bought previously.

If there's a lot of competitors in the streaming market, that long run of stable services is going to vanish. One or more competitors will eventually decide it's not worth it and a lot of people are going to lose access to games, saves, and friend lists.

If game streaming really does go mainstream next generation the market is going to be a total mess.

Nagito

Oct 25, 2017
The windy city

I 100% agree with you and that's why the start of the video game streaming age is so interesting to me.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's maybe happening already. There's plenty of games that are on GamePass but not PlayStation Now, and even more on PS Now that aren't on GamePass (though in that case that appears to be partly down to Microsoft leaning towards curation). It's entirely possible that some of the publishers/developers of those games have signed streaming exclusivity deals.

Even better, they'll all have different selections of multiplatform games, different cross-play set-ups, availability in different countries, different availability across platforms (PC/Android/iOS/proprietary streaming box/OEM streaming box/etc.), different controller compatibility, and many will offer multiple subscription tiers.

That's before we consider that we have been quite fortunate that there hasn't been any collapse of a major online gaming service (OnLive absolutely doesn't count). Services like Steam, PSN and Xbox Live are over a decade old and still preserve purchase information, friends lists, cloud saves, etc. Nintendo have rebuilt their online services a few times, sometimes quite awkwardly, and shuttered a few previously-popular storefronts, but everyone still has theoretical access to what they bought previously.

If there's a lot of competitors in the streaming market, that long run of stable services is going to vanish. One or more competitors will eventually decide it's not worth it and a lot of people are going to lose access to games, saves, and friend lists.

If game streaming really does go mainstream next generation the market is going to be a total mess.
Dear lord, what a mess this is all gonna be for consumers. Ultimately it'll work out but the journey is gonna suck.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

Everyone knows this, Microsoft knows this, maybe Sony knows this, this is why Microsoft has been spending hundreds of millions on Studios and isn't stopping, Microsoft was almost willing to spends 10s of Billions on EA, that says a lot on how much they are willing to spend in the industry.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I'm excited about cloud gaming. Is it possible that one of these services that are in the works will be ready this year maybe?

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Americans vote in a president that's for net neutrality. It's going to be a lot of work but it can be resurrected from the dead and forced into law. The FCC can't be trusted anymore with something so crucial.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's fun seeing history in the making. Also streaming services have some slick ass UI. I wonder which UI will be the slickest.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Jesus, I HATE this whole streaming service idea. And it seems everyone's preparing for it right now. Internet isn't that good where I live and funniest thing is, I live in one of the biggest cities in my country (and former capital) in a neighborhood very close to the city centre. Internet here is shit, there's only one internet provider and he refuses to set up a better connection for everyone, even for additional charge.
Same situation with my home city. No real option for good internet connection, parents are moving to way better neighborhood much closer to the city centre as well and internet connection will be even worse. Like... what the hell?

So I'm angry, because I won't benefit from it and I'm scared it will be a thing in the future.
I'm not from the US, just commenting of this current trend of developing streaming services.